Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the info - even though things exploding are a nuisance, I'll give GTNH a whirl and see how it lands. Same with DD&SS as I've got a beefy rig so hopefully that lets it run fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
You can disable the exploding, but your blocks will still be destroyed. In most cases if something like that happens you're better up restoring from the last backup.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
GTNH is one of those where you should test all your builds in a creative world first before spending a ton of time and resources in your survival world. Really suck to find out something doesn't work like you'd expect or just straight up explodes.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Look, I'm grog enough to have completed nomifactory but I am not playing GTNH, a pack that expects all the above AND kicks you in the crotch while you do it. Especially when you're expected to exhaustively research "shortcuts" through some massive material acquisition grind.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I dunno man, GTNH is awesome so I just cheat away the poo poo that bothers me. I'll cheat in a prospector's scanner, teleport everywhere, keep inventory on, mob griefing off, machine explosions off, pollution off, infernal mobs toned way down. It's a lot of fun and fortunately you can cheat away the "vision" parts that conflict with how you want to play.

Like if you hate mining just cheat in ores, you still have to smelt and process things but it just deletes that part of the game while leaving you with the fun factory logistics stuff. I am tired of the thaumcraft research game so I give myself the complete reserach cheat book and then cheat away all the warp. I still DO the thaumcraft progression but without the timesink game that I've done in a dozen other packs.

Even the lootbags have this awful mechanic where they can be enchanted with a Looting book, which really just means the un-enchanted versions have a garbage loot table they have a chance of hitting, and the enchanted versions always give the correct tier of loot. I just swap all my bags for the good versions, because that's a dumb mechanic.

GTNH can be a pretty rough pack with all the punishing mechanics, but you can smooth those rough parts over and be left with a real gem of a pack that will give you more of that nomifactory feel in a meaningfully different way.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Bhodi posted:

Especially when you're expected to exhaustively research "shortcuts" through some massive material acquisition grind.

:confused:

What are you talking about? Bees and crops? 100% optional. You can just dig holes, then slightly later, make machines to dig holes for you. The "rocket skip" stuff is idiocy for the insane and essentially no one does it. Magic is also 100% optional.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

:confused:

What are you talking about? Bees and crops? 100% optional. You can just dig holes, then slightly later, make machines to dig holes for you. The "rocket skip" stuff is idiocy for the insane and essentially no one does it. Magic is also 100% optional.

Oh yeah for sure people love to create insane setups of carefully bred crops or bees that will feed them infinite resources, but the counterpoint to that is the absolutely massive ore veins and the fact that automated miners are available as early as the first tier of electric machines. Once steel is a solved resource (usually when you get the EBF and a compressor/centrifuge making oxygen plus an arc furnace), you can make a stack of mining pipe and an LV miner, drop a battery buffer and the miner on top of whatever vein (cheat in an admin anchor to chunk load it), and come back to a chest full of resources.

And yeah, there are some crazy mechanisms to sequence break if you really wanted to. Like you can technically get titanium before getting to the moon by hoovering up hundreds, possibly thousands of aluminum gravel ore and squeezing the tiny piles of bauxite out of it. If you get enough to actually create an IV centrifuge (and can actually power it), you can get mixed metal dust out of stone dust and eventually get even more tiny bauxite from that. But that would take hundreds of millions of EU for a single titanium. Or you can breed titanium bees or crops and use a block of titanium to get them to actually produce the combs/crops to yield the titanium. It's cool that those paths exist for the players that like that sort of thing but it's definitely just for that specific style of player.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
It doesn't take much aluminum gravel to get a useful amount of titanium. You're not really gonna majorly sequence break with it, but it's nice to get like, one or two things before you're supposed to.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Day 2 of gtnh

My co op partner and I are in the steam tier. I haven't experienced anything I would call a ball kick yet. Although the water bucket recipe for clay bricks came close. I waited until I could make a tinkers crafting station and a railcraft water tank for that. I have a simple steam set up of 3 coal boilers connected to a water tank outputting to various low tier steam equipment. Overall the machines are slow but with the aid of hoppers they're largely set and forget. I still am using regular stone furnaces with creosote oil for my regular baking, smelting crushed ore, etc. I've put together a few worktables now and am looking forward to fast forwarding through future stacks of screws, springs, etc.

Exploration wise it's been fairly tame. There's some obviously dangerous dungeons nearby that I've simply decided to avoid for now. I settled by a river at the border of some hinterlands and a garden, which has been great since the 80 percent humidity is helping my tank a lot, but there's a slime island far above me and occasionally king slimes pop up disconcertingly close to my base. I don't think I have the firepower to kill him yet - maybe after I get steel.

Most intense monster spawn was definitely a rare fishing hook zombie on the other side of a lava pillar. Walled that off extremely fast

Overall I'm absolutely loving it. I've never been so happy to have an in game to do list (thanks clipboard). I just need the gypsum for my steel making machine now, and since I found some fullers earth earlier I was able to use a dowsing rod to locate a source. Very neat little research bits in this game.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Impermanent posted:

Day 2 of gtnh

My co op partner and I are in the steam tier. I haven't experienced anything I would call a ball kick yet. Although the water bucket recipe for clay bricks came close. I waited until I could make a tinkers crafting station and a railcraft water tank for that. I have a simple steam set up of 3 coal boilers connected to a water tank outputting to various low tier steam equipment. Overall the machines are slow but with the aid of hoppers they're largely set and forget. I still am using regular stone furnaces with creosote oil for my regular baking, smelting crushed ore, etc. I've put together a few worktables now and am looking forward to fast forwarding through future stacks of screws, springs, etc.

Exploration wise it's been fairly tame. There's some obviously dangerous dungeons nearby that I've simply decided to avoid for now. I settled by a river at the border of some hinterlands and a garden, which has been great since the 80 percent humidity is helping my tank a lot, but there's a slime island far above me and occasionally king slimes pop up disconcertingly close to my base. I don't think I have the firepower to kill him yet - maybe after I get steel.

Most intense monster spawn was definitely a rare fishing hook zombie on the other side of a lava pillar. Walled that off extremely fast

Overall I'm absolutely loving it. I've never been so happy to have an in game to do list (thanks clipboard). I just need the gypsum for my steel making machine now, and since I found some fullers earth earlier I was able to use a dowsing rod to locate a source. Very neat little research bits in this game.

Awesome! Worktables are such a great step for making the BBF bricks and all the machine parts later (although I could make electric motors and pistons in my sleep at this point). Things are fairly linear through steam but once you get into LV and get the first few efficiency machines (bending machine, wiremill, chemical reactor + fluid solidifier), you start to get some freedom in how to progress.

Another suggestion for GTNH I recommend is liberal use of /bq_admin edit, so you can go into the quests and force complete them. Many quests are structured to have mandatory intermediate steps, like gathering a thousand clay for the BBF even if you get the brick dust from a village instead. It's super frustrating to finish a big project and have the quest tell you "oops you started making those parts before you had ALL the previous step's requirements in your inventory so this quest isn't done yet!".

Don't forget to use all the coins you get for the shop! Many coins have renewable sources from mob-killing quests so don't worry about hoarding technician or survivor coins.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

buy wrought iron coins on cooldown, because gently caress smelting iron nuggets forever

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
IIRC they changed the BBF quest (after some arguing with the devs) to not require so many intermediate stockpiling steps.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

buy wrought iron coins on cooldown, because gently caress smelting iron nuggets forever

I mean it's not terrible if you're smelting crushed iron ore down into nuggets and then just using a big ol' wall of furnaces to get the wrought iron. Once you get a TiCon lumber axe just hand craft planks and shove them in because who cares about efficiency when you can knock down a couple 2x2 spruce trees and get stacks and stacks of wood in a minute.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I killed some king slimes. This guy rules. He's a tinker tool pinata

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hahaha spent two hours getting dicked over by a ultra rare zombie brute with force choke, toss, wither, ghastly fireballs, regenerate, and 1up. Eventually sealed him inside my tinkers smelter and poured lava on top of him when that wasn't enough to kill him.

Finally made it to steel/ tinkers hammers and lumbaxs today. Finally finally finally going to be operating with real amounts of ore and wood, not baby amounts.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Gotta say you're the first I've seen that actually leaves that mod enabled. Far more chill without it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It's a huge pain in the rear end but I love how it makes night terrifying. Plus I've got FTBUtils installed since it is a small MP server so I have insurance against truly bad combinations loving up my base (since anti-creeper griefing is enabled) Also my friend and I love laughing at each other's increasingly hosed up tales of getting owned by infernal mobs.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

There is now a piece of code in GTNH that I authored! What does it do? Well, it's very important. Truly, I labored long and strenuously to create this change. It is...

an addition to the ore wand tooltip. That says it doesn't work in space. It was a rough four lines of code, lemme tell ya whut.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
https://hytale.com/news/2022/7/summer-2022-development-update

MC-adjacent news, but apparently Hytale is totally rewriting their engine in C++ from C# or Java.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Falcon2001 posted:

MC-adjacent news, but apparently Hytale is totally rewriting their engine in C++ from C# or Java.

lmao, this thing is never getting released.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I'm at LuV tier in Nomifactory - How do you automate stuff using PackagedAuto? I haven't been able to find all that much documentation on it and it isn't super intuitive. Do I stick an Unpackager next to a chest that outputs to all the Assembly Line's ULV inputs and configure a boatload of item filters for them? Can you automate multiple expanded table recipes on a single Extended Autocrafter, or is it one recipe per table?

/edit: If PackagedAuto isn't the best way of doing it, what is, other than brute-forcing it by making an Assembly Line for each different component you want to make and keeping the little pieces (Annealed Copper coils, SMD components) push-filled at all times?

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 4, 2022

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Automation is definitely the way. Threefold has a great setup that I stole for all my needs. The thumbnail of this video shows how it works but I think he goes into a bit of detail in the video as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88BubVHQwDw

Basically, packager on top of unpackager touching (item… chest? I forget the name of the block but it’s in the same mod as the Laser Relays). Then laser relays from the collection point connected to each input. I think the unpackager has a toggle for Blocking Mode which you’ll want on. It can be a little finicky in my experience but I managed to figure it out.

Good luck!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

quote:

It makes it easier for us to release Hytale across multiple platforms.

wtf?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lmao sounds like a clueless quote from a marketing department and whoever signed off on it is either an idiot and/or thinks its audience is.

Hopefully it wasn't someone on the development team!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I mean, idk, I guess it's a pain in the rear end to get java & C# stuff running on console? Unity has some tech that makes it work & minecraft just hired port houses until they made bedrock edition (C++). But mobile would work just fine and it's a game for 10 year olds, so...

Like what were they planning to do 18 months ago?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
They probably ran into some performance roadblock in Java, and couldn't figure out how to deal with pure C# so they had to make a switch and are just making excuses rather than admit they hosed up.
I don't know what they were even using Java for though...

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

McFrugal posted:

They probably ran into some performance roadblock in Java, and couldn't figure out how to deal with pure C# so they had to make a switch and are just making excuses rather than admit they hosed up.
I don't know what they were even using Java for though...

Don’t they run a bunch of custom Minecraft server poo poo? They’re probably more experienced with programming in Java, but Riot wants the game to be coded in something easier to port between platforms. Or could just be some other internal Riot reason, such as all their other poo poo is coded in C++ so moving Hytale over makes it better for internal support.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Nomifactory, I'm probably missing something simple but is there a way to have an alloy smelter only take in exact ratios of items at the same time? So if I want to make pulsating polymer clay, I want input to always take in one clay block to one pulsating dust no matter how much of each is waiting of both. My current early build worked only because I'm full of both and I had to clear out clogs before the loop was fully closed and I figure I'll run into the same issues once I'm scaling it for a larger volume of simulation chambers.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

Nomifactory, I'm probably missing something simple but is there a way to have an alloy smelter only take in exact ratios of items at the same time? So if I want to make pulsating polymer clay, I want input to always take in one clay block to one pulsating dust no matter how much of each is waiting of both. My current early build worked only because I'm full of both and I had to clear out clogs before the loop was fully closed and I figure I'll run into the same issues once I'm scaling it for a larger volume of simulation chambers.

Ender IO Limited Filter. It makes sure whatever it's connected to always has the exact amount of the items you tell it.

AE2 and GT both have options although the robot arms are a bit more limited use.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 5, 2022

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Perfect, thank you. I did try with a robot arm but it seemed to either ignore what I wanted or I misunderstood its use.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sage Grimm posted:

Perfect, thank you. I did try with a robot arm but it seemed to either ignore what I wanted or I misunderstood its use.

If you're doing inputs from two directions, you need one arm's keep exact levels to be twice the other arm's, so as to keep both arms pulling things in.

Mine ended up with the arm importing clay on keep exact 32 and pulsating dust on keep exact 64 (because it was the slower element of the chain) and it has worked out.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Rynoto posted:

Ender IO Limited Filter. It makes sure whatever it's connected to always has the exact amount of the items you tell it.

AE2 and GT both have options although the robot arms are a bit more limited use.

Man I miss enderIO

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

With GT robot arms you can put a GT item filter in it, set it to either keep exact or supply exact, and then put the number of each item you want in the filter slot like so:

Keep exact will only put exactly as many items in as you specify. So in my picture it puts 2 motors and a cable in and then waits until the machine is empty. Supply exact will keep adding batches of the items you set as long as there's room for all of them in the machine. I usually use keep exact since it doesn't fill the machine with a ton of extra parts, especially for something like polymer clay where you have a bunch of machines drawing from the same supply and it could end up loading all the mats into the first machine before any others can what they need.

There are also smart item filters which if you set supply or keep exact will only load the exact amount the machine needs to run but smart filters only work on electrolyzers and centrifuges. You don't even need to tell it what kind or mats to use or how many. It figures it out on its own so you can feed a bunch of different dusts to the same set of electrolyzers and they won't clog.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

RocketMermaid posted:

I'm at LuV tier in Nomifactory - How do you automate stuff using PackagedAuto? I haven't been able to find all that much documentation on it and it isn't super intuitive. Do I stick an Unpackager next to a chest that outputs to all the Assembly Line's ULV inputs and configure a boatload of item filters for them? Can you automate multiple expanded table recipes on a single Extended Autocrafter, or is it one recipe per table?
For the assembly line, you use item relays but I forget the name of the block you put against the unpackager to start the whole deal. It is included in quest text either in the assembly line quest or adjacent to it. I found it was kind of fussy when I first did it and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out what I did to ultimately have them work as well as they did; it might have just been setting the packager to block (or is that unpackager? I'm not near my setup to look up the specifics).

I always just had a packager going into an unpackager. I think you can separate them though and just have the packager making packages, but something would have to kick an unpackager into dumping them into whatever is going to do the work, so I think a direct connection is easiest.

Edit: "Going into" just means they were adjacent.

I managed to have a single packager/unpackager duo linked to three different sizes of automated crafting tables and it was able to figure it out based on the recipe. However, this was an end game choke point and I had to line up multiples of individual ones eventually. The packagers and unpackagers just need ME connections and I think they can take EnderIO ME conduits.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

RocketMermaid posted:

/edit: If PackagedAuto isn't the best way of doing it, what is, other than brute-forcing it by making an Assembly Line for each different component you want to make and keeping the little pieces (Annealed Copper coils, SMD components) push-filled at all times?
Do this for distributed on-demand crafting:
(in the back):

One packager/unpackager pair can deal with 9 recipes. Create the package recipe and make sure you drag/use specific items because oredicts don't work with packagedauto. Make 2 copies. Put one in a packager and the other in an unpackager.

Your packager can go anywhere (I stuck mine right above for ease of recipe swapping) but you want your unpackager on blocking mode and surrounded by item interfaces, one for each AL and laser-attached them to ulv inputs on the bottoms. On the AL output, put another item interface linked to an interface to feed your crafted item back into your inventory system.

You do the exact same thing for draconic crafting, only you make the item in the center have an increased priority (you set this with the wand thing) and you set specific-order when you create your packaging recipes with the item in the middle first.

You can link multiple item interfaces from multiple unpackagers into a single AL for more item recipe support which is why the lasers in that look weird - the back packager/unpackager combo has different recipes than the front one and there's one item interface from the front and also the back hooked into each AL. It kinda looks like it but those two ALs are not directly linked together, the far AL is just lasered through/across to it's associated item interface.

Unpackager next to ItemInterface with an item laser on top, then one item laser on every ULV and they are all linked together in a line. Remember that item lasers try and interact with every side around them so if you put it in a corner it's going to try and interact with all the things. It won't interact with other item lasers though unless linked so they are safely put next to each other in a line.

Since you need one side of the unpackager to link to your digital storage, you can support up to 5 ALs on a single packager/unpackager pair which is all you need for the entire game. Ultimately you absolutely will want 5-6 dedicated ALs for the most common items feeding into a drawer but not until post-tank, I used 4 to get to tank and then I added the dedicated ones next to it and left the on-demand setup alone.

Make sure you have a fluid interface and fluid input bus for each type of fluid (I think there are 5 types overall?) on every AL. If you think ahead and make them one block apart you can make fluid interfaces/tanks serve two separate ALs!

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 5, 2022

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

You can wallshare assembly lines? Good to know if I ever get there.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
My guess is they're switching from java because they don't want to touch the poo that is whatever new licensing that oracle is coming up with, and it probably makes it easier for cross platform gameplay and such.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SugarAddict posted:

My guess is they're switching from java because they don't want to touch the poo that is whatever new licensing that oracle is coming up with, and it probably makes it easier for cross platform gameplay and such.
Java & C# have super easy cross platform. C++ cross platform takes actual work.

It seems like a very superficial reason or a bad business decision. If you've been developing a game for many years in one language you probably don't want to port it to another.

If they're doing a full rewrite it would make sense. Not sure they'd publicly announce a full rewrite.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 6, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Kyrosiris posted:

You can wallshare assembly lines? Good to know if I ever get there.

Yes but just keep in mind it's two at most. Otherwise, the ones in the middle can't get fluid ingredients supplied to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

So whats the go with IV power in nomifactory?

I tried to make 1 IV energy input'ed EBF and it absolutly killed my power. I have 23 signulum Numi's and even that cant keep power with this 1 IV EBF

Im using sig cabling, so i guess i can up my power to 43 numi's.

Im finishing up mid game, starting late game. Battling fluids. I solar the next thing after Numis?