Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
why would you introduce a blue mage job you evil fucks, where are you fitting this on the memory card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

brand engager posted:

There are role effects that trigger when you activate interlink, and I think it also scales with interlink level. For characters that have a healing class equipped, activating interlink will do a party-wide heal so your party should probably be safe unless you're popping it at level 0

There's a reason why the devotional necklace and revive speed gem are so good. You are constantly reviving characters on hard even if you can cast four healing arts every couple of seconds. A healer going into Oroboros is one less character who can revive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

yeah that entire scene was bizarre as hell, but Eunie does get some vindication as Ashera herself noted that Eunie was 100% correct about them

I feel like for scenes like this it is worth rememvering every main cast member was a professional murderer as a fact of life and even after development that can color some things.

Eunie is less cool with it because she awoke memories of her own violent murder and discovered her old screaming corpse which is a tiny bit of the old trauma.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Speaking of consuls it’s been a bit of a drag after the first time you kill one he kinda does the body evaporation in the suit thing which is really cool and a bit weighty. It seems like every consul since has just disappeared entirely in a pink haze and it’s extremely confusing whether I’m even killing them or they’re just teleporting away. Since it looks loving identical.

The only exception I can think of is O and… whoever the other one was.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
P is the other one.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Blaziken386 posted:

haha i just got the ability to do ouroboros orders in chain attacks and i went from dealing ~60,000 damage to dealing ~500,000 damage, lets loving go

i kept hooting and hollering when that came up. It feels so loving good to do.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Game's good. In the early stages of Chapter 3 where I've run around and done side missions and recruitments.

Not sold on the Consuls in Ominously Discussing Things Under A Spotlight mode, but love Saucy Giant Mode.

Flashbacks are doing a good job in placing these characters in the world, more than any Heart to Hearts have in past games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The ominously discussing things under a spotlight thing was so Xenogears that it instantly sold me

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Oh, I like Noah's style of Calm (if Bland) Compassion, which feels like something you used to only really get to see in Healer Heroines, and it's fun that most of the other characters just sort of begrudgingly put up with it.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
yeah uh - when you think a chapter is going to end, it usually isn't going to end for another 4-5 hours.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

there's a progress bar in the quests menu, you don't have to guess!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Ah, the latin chants! I'll just continue for these next ten or so minutes and be done with the chapter.
*three bosses and two hours later* help

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

Oh, I like Noah's style of Calm (if Bland) Compassion, which feels like something you used to only really get to see in Healer Heroines, and it's fun that most of the other characters just sort of begrudgingly put up with it.

One thing I like about Noah's particular brand of compassion is that (no specific story spoilers here, just characterization) there's still a rational angle to it. He doesn't do the Rex/typical protagonist thing of "we're going to make sure everyone lives no matter what (and if the enemy dies in a fight it's basically an accident)" and is willing to make decisions that might result in a bad outcome when there's no other reasonable choice. Like when he destroyed the first flame clock, he does so knowing that it might just kill everyone attached to it. And he's okay with killing enemies who obviously aren't going to stop otherwise. It's more that he just unconditionally respects all life, even if he also acknowledges that the life in question needed to be ended.

And yeah, the rest of the party sort of respects him for it but doesn't really agree (outside of Mio). Part of what makes Lanz interesting is that he's Noah's best friend while also being the party member who conflicts with his values the most.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
question: does anyone know which classes will give launch arts, as master arts or otherwise? the ZR menu on class selection just gives the name, not an icon, and there's too many arts for me to remember which ones do what.

I ask because launch is much more broken in this game than it was in XB2, and the Ogre special attack is super long and is never ready when I need it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

A thing I do appreciate about Noah's deal is that while at first it feels like he's the only person in existence to have come to the correct philosophy of "War sucks and a life based entirely on murdering others is bad actually" it quickly becomes clear that loads of people have similar thoughts and feelings about life and death. While he's certainly more compassionate and empathetic than average I like that his ideals aren't treated as entirely exceptional.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Blaziken386 posted:

question: does anyone know which classes will give launch arts, as master arts or otherwise? the ZR menu on class selection just gives the name, not an icon, and there's too many arts for me to remember which ones do what.

I ask because launch is much more broken in this game than it was in XB2, and the Ogre special attack is super long and is never ready when I need it.

Lone exile is the only one I’ve found so far. I’m sure one of the remaining 6 or whatever has one as well. That’s not including the 20 rank talent arts that I can’t remember. I know at least 1 or 2 launch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

A thing I do appreciate about Noah's deal is that while at first it feels like he's the only person in existence to have come to the correct philosophy of "War sucks and a life based entirely on murdering others is bad actually" it quickly becomes clear that loads of people have similar thoughts and feelings about life and death. While he's certainly more compassionate and empathetic than average I like that his ideals aren't treated as entirely exceptional.

Yeah, I really like the character beat that people *do* think these things but the vast majority of people in the world literally need to kill to survive (not merely win battles but slaughter the enemies) and that kind of makes it impossible to try to compromise or come to an understanding. People aren't all inhuman monsters except the nice guy protagonist, it is just that since he's an off-seer he has an easier time getting to express his ideals.

I can't say he's my favorite member of the cast but he does have a whole lot of genuinely interesting points.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Well I'm glad I stopped where I did last night because there was literally one hour of cutscenes right after that. Tetsuya Takahashi's shackles have been released

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah it's not like other people don't agree it's just... The entire setup of the world basically goes "so what, kill to live or die I guess". Unless you have a bullshit super nopon katana and lucked into a mech form there's not a lotta choice.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
just started chapter 4 and oh hi, xenogears. Nice to see monolithsoft still loves dudes piloting mecha

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I just did the Colony Iota quest and I absolutely love Alexandria.
She's already figured out a decent part of what's going on and manipulated the party to free her colony mostly because she wants to break the mould she was forced into. Especially love how immediately after you can listen in on her colony going full logistics mode for all of the freed colonies.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

My biggest problem with 3's writing is that the dialogue starts feeling like a series of non sequiters whenever characters are talking about their motivations and beliefs. There are so many times where, instead of asking Noah something like "What made you decide to help us repair our kitchen?", they say "Why do you walk this path?" and Noah will just magically understand the intent of the question.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They're all very dramatic.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tae posted:

why would you introduce a blue mage job you evil fucks, where are you fitting this on the memory card

I am still playing Torna but wait, what??

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

the gist of the story is that they cloned a few hundred theater kids and kill them off at age 18 so they don't become TOO insufferable

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I love the game so much and I feel like it might become my favorite jrpg but I am now afraid to play it because I don't want it to end :shepface:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think that the Signifier quest probably has the best examples of the weird non sequiters the game pulls. When the party all sit down to discuss the situation at colony Mu their conversation is basically "here's all this weird poo poo" and Noah just randomly and correctly deduces that the Consul led the Kevesi attack on the colony from the seemingly completely unrelated information. You never figure out how he got from A to B. You never find out why they had a fake flame clock, how they survived without fighting or why everyone was so young. I felt like I was missing something for almost the entire second phase of that quest.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I am still playing Torna but wait, what??

There is a class that gets all of its skills and arts by defeating unique monsters. There's one for seemingly every unique in the game.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 5, 2022

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Nyoro posted:

I love the game so much and I feel like it might become my favorite jrpg but I am now afraid to play it because I don't want it to end :shepface:

Good news there's post-game content.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

I think that the Signifier quest probably has the best examples of the weird non sequiters the game pulls. When the party all sit down to discuss the situation at colony Mu their conversation is basically "here's all this weird poo poo" and Noah just randomly and correctly deduces that the Consul led the Kevesi attack on the colony from the seemingly completely unrelated information. You never figure out how he got from A to B. You never find out why they had a fake flame clock, how they survived without fighting or why everyone was so young. I felt like I was missing something for almost the entire second phase of that quest.

There is a class that gets all of its skills and arts by defeating unique monsters. There's one for seemingly every unique in the game.

That all does get explained. The entire thing was basically the Consul setting up a weird mini-cult where they would all grow to like the commander and then she would die tragically and they'd be all crazy motivated to loving murder people. The problem is that the Consul ended up liking her too much and it threw the plan all out of wack. Noah figured out based on the way everyone treated the commander that "oh, okay, so this was the Consul's plan."

The fake Flame Clock was a method of manipulation because they wanted this group of kids to get REALLY pissed off. Which is also why it is mostly kids because they wanted them to have as long as possible to be killers.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ImpAtom posted:

That all does get explained. The entire thing was basically the Consul setting up a weird mini-cult where they would all grow to like the commander and then she would die tragically and they'd be all crazy motivated to loving murder people. The problem is that the Consul ended up liking her too much and it threw the plan all out of wack. Noah figured out based on the way everyone treated the commander that "oh, okay, so this was the Consul's plan."

The fake Flame Clock was a method of manipulation because they wanted this group of kids to get REALLY pissed off. Which is also why it is mostly kids because they wanted them to have as long as possible to be killers.

where is any of this said in game

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Disappointed that for whatever reason the cinematic viewer doesn’t have all the spoken parts of hero quests in it. Unless that gets unlocked later for some reason. I wanted to show asheras to my partner cause it was wild but all it had was the first meeting cutscene and blowing up the flame clock. None of the discussion or anything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

where is any of this said in game

Both in the actual cutscenes and by the NPCs if you talk to them. That said that sidequest's cutscenes are kinda weird so I ain't saying it's a high point of the game's writing.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ImpAtom posted:

Both in the actual cutscenes and by the NPCs if you talk to them. That said that sidequest's cutscenes are kinda weird so I ain't saying it's a high point of the game's writing.

I ran around and talked to everyone I could find and nobody really said anything about that. You also don't hear the consul explain any part of her plan outside of something along the lines of despair making their flame taste better. I thought her plan was to basically farm the colony by having them all become super close friends and then help the kevesi harvest their flames. She'd kill basically the entire colony off at once and then bring in a new batch of recruits, which is why everyone was so young and about the same age. Still no explanation for how they survived without fighting.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

A few screenshots from the game

This is the most British game to never be released on the ZX Spectrum. (Location spoilers for chapter 5, I guess?)

That cloth texture looked really good on the Switch screen!

(Cropped to avoid character spoilers)

Seems the walrus captain from Xenogears lives on in some small way.

Uh, yeah, totally agree friend

Also missed screenshotting the conversation where a party member mentioned how something or other "lets us face the day with a renewed vigor."

ajkalan fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 5, 2022

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

quote not edit

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

you should probably spoiler tag that first one

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

I need to play around a bit with party composition and try an extra healer in tough fights. Finished one of the early hero quests and could not quite bring down the boss that was 3 levels above my team. After gaining a level and switching Noah to his base class to get a break art it was much easier. Not sure if another healer would have done it since the boss was pulling off a party wipe at low HP. One of the (minor) downsides of this series is it can be hard to tell what happened if your party gets dropped suddenly.

Liking this game a lot more now that it's not shotgunning cutscenes every 10 steps. I like having a guest character slot with the heroes to make it a seven person team. Not even Suikoden let you have that many.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Out of curiosity since I'm not sure, is there any benefit to doing the alternate method of Oroborus Combo Attacks? Level 3 Interlink -> Combo. I know it gives you two OC in a row but I'm not sure that outclasses 2-3 regular combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

ajkalan posted:

A few screenshots from the game

This is the most British game to never be released on the ZX Spectrum. (Location spoilers for chapter 5, I guess?)

That cloth texture looked really good on the Switch screen!

(Cropped to avoid character spoilers)

Seems the walrus captain from Xenogears lives on in some small way.

Uh, yeah, totally agree friend

Also missed screenshotting the conversation where a party member mentioned how something or other "lets us face the day with a renewed vigor."

Personally enjoy taking screenshots of serious moments with various characters wearing nomsmiths outfit

I think eventually I’ll have my whole party wearing it once I’ve maxed it on everyone