Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Groda posted:

Don't buy a helmet before you buy lights.

....thanks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

my Specialized Crossroads 2.0 came with 700x45mm tires. I can't figure out the right mini pump for this size. I don't have a floor pump/gauge yet so I can't actually check what my current tire pressure is, but seems like 35-45 psi is the general recommendation. This puts me in a weird spot where I think that's higher than what the you can easily get from high volume pumps for mountain bikes, but I'm worried it's enough volume using a high pressure pump would be a bad time. Since I'd only have to get home like 4 or 5 miles after a fix, should I just not worry too much about it and get a HP pump?
I don't know what brands you're looking at, but I'd lean toward HV for everything above 35mm

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Your new favorite brand makes an adjusting cage (two models, in fact):
https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product/206-MODULA-CAGE-EX

Keep the threads clean on these or they’re a real pain in the rear end

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

abraham linksys posted:

bought! thank you, don't know how I missed that when poking around their site (I noticed the one for coffee and stuff, but not this one for some reason). wasted a few bucks on the aluminum cage, but at least now I already have the right screws for when this one arrives. amazon reviews show some people with hydro flasks and stuff that are similar to my bottle so should be okay

in addition to accessorizing, I'm also starting to get tools for maintenance and repairs. ran into a weird thing assembling a flat fix kit, though.

my Specialized Crossroads 2.0 came with 700x45mm tires. I can't figure out the right mini pump for this size. I don't have a floor pump/gauge yet so I can't actually check what my current tire pressure is, but seems like 35-45 psi is the general recommendation. This puts me in a weird spot where I think that's higher than what the you can easily get from high volume pumps for mountain bikes, but I'm worried it's enough volume using a high pressure pump would be a bad time. Since I'd only have to get home like 4 or 5 miles after a fix, should I just not worry too much about it and get a HP pump?

hand pumps are for emergency repairs only, get yourself a floor pump

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

hand pumps are for emergency repairs only, get yourself a floor pump

It's this, they're great. I have a 220v compressor at my workbench but I haven't bothered getting a tire inflator for it since the floor pump is so good. They work great for keeping motorcycles and cars at pressure too. I once pumped up a flat tire on a Sprinter van to 3 bars with my floor pump. It took some doing but no big deal and probably way faster than most of those dinky little battery powered compressors car guys seem to love.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Usual route to work:

From work:

I live inland, and thus going to work is going downhill towards the lakefront. On the way home, it's mostly uphill. It works out nicely because I'm usually hot and sweaty when I get home, but it's cool enough and requires less effort in the morning, so I'm not at work.

Also, today some of my coworkers got caught in a traffic jam. I laughed, because I don't have to deal with that poo poo.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

iospace posted:

Also, today some of my coworkers got caught in a traffic jam. I laughed, because I don't have to deal with that poo poo.

This is the best feeling.

Also when people are complaining about petrol prices.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Animal Friend posted:

Or the lack of/ cost of parking.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Just never mention it to them, unless you want to hear about expanding the road tax.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Slow News Day posted:

Height: 5'10"
Inseam: 31"
Budget: $750
Length of commute: 5 miles each way
Terrain: Mostly flat, a few small hills
Link to local Craigslist or equivalent (if looking for second hand): https://austin.craigslist.org/

TIA :)

I did a bunch of "research" (i.e. I google'd "entry-level hybrid commuter bikes" and read the first few results) and came across a brand called Priority Bicycles. They seem to be an online-only retailer. Their Continuum series seem decent? Specifically, I'm looking at the Onyx:

https://www.activegearreview.com/cycling-gear/priority-continuum-onyx-bike-review/

https://www.bicycle-guider.com/priority-continuum-onyx-review/

The price is definitely higher than the budget I mentioned above, but it does appear to come with a lot of neat features. Just figured I'd ask here for opinions before I bite the bullet and place an order.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
There's gotta be a local bike shop that has hybrids for sale in your price range. The benefit of buying from a shop is that it generally comes put together in the right way, you can sit on it and see if it's the right size for you (they can help with this too) and they'll give you some free tune-ups and adjustments for a year or more afterwards.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

On the other hand, Priority is known for making a good bike. They're a solid choice.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mauser posted:

There's gotta be a local bike shop that has hybrids for sale in your price range. The benefit of buying from a shop is that it generally comes put together in the right way, you can sit on it and see if it's the right size for you (they can help with this too) and they'll give you some free tune-ups and adjustments for a year or more afterwards.

The only one I found that isn't garbage-tier (according to the store reps) is a Kona Dew.

edit: My friend also sent me these:

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-jamis-satellite-sport/7509043629.html

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-medium-175-inch-giant-escape/7516327679.html

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-fairdale-ridgemont-bmx-275-big/7516280102.html

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 3, 2022

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What part of town?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm on the east side, near Mueller.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Slow News Day posted:

I'm on the east side, near Mueller.

Have you been to Austin Bike Farm? Just up on Burnet. They’re good folks who will definitely have something up your alley, although they don’t have bikes on the website. Plenty of new and used.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Support your local co-op you fucks.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I recently discovered there's a co-op style place within walking distance of me! It took a couple emails (lol volunteer run) to get on their volunteer mechanic list but it's been great so far. They have a weekend walk-in thing where we help people fix or build bikes that I've been volunteering for. They also organize group rides and stuff but I crashed recently and hosed up my shoulder so I haven't done any of those yet.

If you're in the Seattle area and interested PM me.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Slow News Day posted:

I did a bunch of "research" (i.e. I google'd "entry-level hybrid commuter bikes" and read the first few results) and came across a brand called Priority Bicycles. They seem to be an online-only retailer. Their Continuum series seem decent? Specifically, I'm looking at the Onyx:

https://www.activegearreview.com/cycling-gear/priority-continuum-onyx-bike-review/

https://www.bicycle-guider.com/priority-continuum-onyx-review/

The price is definitely higher than the budget I mentioned above, but it does appear to come with a lot of neat features. Just figured I'd ask here for opinions before I bite the bullet and place an order.

Can you find a Specialized dealer in your area? I got a Crossroads 2.0 for $775 that I'm very happy with as my first bike.

I spent a long time looking at D2C bikes and came very close to pulling the trigger on a few orders. A big thing is you should have it shipped to a store (most of the manufacturer stores will let you do this) and have the store assemble it - it does add another $100 or so on top of the bike, but it's worth the peace of mind. Of course, that $100 is the big saving if you can find a bike in a store :v:

I will say that bike you linked does have one feature I am fascinated by and think about every time I try to downshift too late and hear a big annoying KER-CHUNK: a CVT transmission. I kinda liked that when I rode our bike rental here (Citi Bike) and I'm pretty jealous of anyone who has one, though they seem very rare outside of these D2C brands. The dynamo stuff and the carbon belt also seem dope. That said, does seem like it might make it harder to maintain over time? I assume most bike shops can deal with that stuff, but if something went horrifically wrong with your drivetrain I imagine it'd be a trickier thing to order a replacement for (maybe wrong).

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 5, 2022

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

abraham linksys posted:

Can you find a Specialized dealer in your area? I got a Crossroads 2.0 for $775 that I'm very happy with as my first bike.

I spent a long time looking at D2C bikes and came very close to pulling the trigger on a few orders. A big thing is you should have it shipped to a store (most of the manufacturer stores will let you do this) and have the store assemble it - it does add another $100 or so on top of the bike, but it's worth the peace of mind. Of course, that $100 is the big saving if you can find a bike in a store :v:

I will say that bike you linked does have one feature I am fascinated by and think about every time I try to downshift too late and hear a big annoying KER-CHUNK: a CVT transmission. I kinda liked that when I rode our bike rental here (Citi Bike) and I'm pretty jealous of anyone who has one, though they seem very rare outside of these D2C brands. The dynamo stuff and the carbon belt also seem dope. That said, does seem like it might make it harder to maintain over time? I assume most bike shops can deal with that stuff, but if something went horrifically wrong with your drivetrain I imagine it'd be a trickier thing to order a replacement for (maybe wrong).

The CVT isn't meant to be maintained, there are no serviceable parts inside. You change it once its service life is up. Other maintenance like cables is dead simple.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

There's something to be said about riding your bike through "bad parts of town". In a car, you can roll up your windows, lock your doors, and ignore the world around you except for keeping an eye on traffic. That's if you can't avoid the area by taking a limited access highway.

On a bike, you're exposed. You see the world around you. You see people at bus stops, walking down the street, at food trucks, and whatnot in addition to the traffic. You have to be more vigilant, but at the same time, you start to realize that there are people around you that are simply that.

People. Other humans, going about their day. After a while, you start to wave or even say hello to them, even if you only see them for fleeting seconds. Yeah, you're just passing through, but you're not paying through in a way that allows you to ignore them like with a car. You're not as isolated anymore, and the world around you opens up a bit, even if it is a tiny amount.

And I personally think it helps you be a better person.

But those are my two cents, and honestly, I won't stop riding to work, no matter what.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also on the rare occasion someone is standing in the middle of the street screaming, you can scoot past them silently instead of stopping uncomfortably

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I genuinely enjoy riding by the elderly man with a mobility scooter and a boom box absolutely blasting "Super Freak" and "Get Low"

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've encountered all of those people on my commute regularly and I 100% would rather be on a bike so I can have a human interaction. I can say hi, ask politely if I can get by, smile and wave at terrified pedestrians so they realize I'm not going to run them down like most riders, etc.

I've also found that I can ride practically anywhere without trouble as long as I'm patient and not a dick. Closed roads, construction sites, paths, sidewalks, parking garages, parks. Nobody bats an eye when Some Guy on a ratty looking bike and a cheap backpack rides through. That's partly why I never bother cleaning up my commuting bike or go out of my way to make it look nice.

The best time for this was early in the covid lockdowns. The streets were empty and I could ride straight down the middle of 4 lane roads in industrial areas that would normally be deathtraps. I had a great time exploring parts of the city I wouldn't dare ride through normally.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
I've been helping a very short friend into cycling, and, after having a lot of trouble finding a city bike in 26" (or 28"), I found out there's actually a lot of fully featured bikes in 24". And people sell them for just about nothing, because most non-children are too tall.

Now she's got a 24" bike from a premium brand with 7 speed Shimano Nexus (with lights, dynamo, fenders, rack) for 80€.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

CopperHound posted:

I genuinely enjoy riding by the elderly man with a mobility scooter and a boom box absolutely blasting "Super Freak" and "Get Low"

We have that guy but it's Dire Straits and Neil Diamond, and he wears a crash helmet and lives his best life. Everyone smiles when they hear him coming.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I've also found that I can ride practically anywhere without trouble as long as I'm patient and not a dick. Closed roads, construction sites, paths, sidewalks, parking garages, parks. Nobody bats an eye when Some Guy on a ratty looking bike and a cheap backpack rides through. That's partly why I never bother cleaning up my commuting bike or go out of my way to make it look nice.

I mostly agree that biking wherever is largely seen as a victimless crime, but there's parts of the country where I wouldn't want to be out by myself as a minority, just minding my own business.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I have a leaky hydraulic brake caliper (shimano br-m666 so old and no longer readily available). I assume this is not something I can reasonably fix and it needs replacement. Will any post mount caliper with banjo hose fitting be a straight replacement or is there some other form factor fuckery I need to consider? Do the Shimano number series give any guidance?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Animal Friend posted:

This is the best feeling.

This is especially awesome in and around Amsterdam. Can highly recommend zooming past the kilometers of stationary cars in the city and on the highway. The cycle route that goes from Vondelpark to the west port, offers nice views of miserable drivers in hot cars in summer, both in the city and on the highway.

Just don't get too distracted and smash into a tourist who doesn't consider a cycle path an active road and just steps onto it without looking even one single time.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

I actually got an afternoon to work on my bikes. I put fenders and a back rack on my Kona Dew. I’m excited to ride this to work tomorrow. It’s 7 miles, which doesn’t seem too bad except for a stretch of car country.

Hold my coffee while I yolo through this rotary!

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Commute report: the rotary was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Most of the ride was on a closed bike path. I needed to check my phone a few times, but it was only 40 minutes door to door.

Need to work a bit on gear storage. I like my big ortlieb panniers for packing my laptop, clothes and lunch with room to spare for a patch kit, multitool and pump. But I’d like better access to my id / keycards etc.

I really liked having bigger wheels and more gears than my folder for this distance. It was way easier.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dobbs_Head posted:

But I’d like better access to my id / keycards etc.

Small handlebar bag with rear opening lid or velcro-on gas tank bag? I have the latter if you wanna try it.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

kimbo305 posted:

Small handlebar bag with rear opening lid or velcro-on gas tank bag? I have the latter if you wanna try it.

I have a small bag for under the saddle that might work for this. Originally thought I’d use it for tools / spare tube. But I don’t actually need the repair kit to be that accessible, I think.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ah, I thought you meant like you needed to flash / pull out the ID right on the bike or something. Saddle bag would be fine if you just want dedicated space for a few items.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/SllTIk8.mp4

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
I hit over 1000km total distance commuted today. Not bad for a squishy blob!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

congrats! how long is your commute?

Mine was 3 miles before permanent working from home, so I nearly did 2000km in one year before COVID. I was jealous of people in the 5-10 mile range, but now I just kind of miss the excuse to ride my bike in the morning because I cannot bring myself to do anything other than wake up at the last possible minute

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
Pretty short - usually 6km in the morning dropping off my daughter, then about 3km going straight home. Winter riding isn't much of an option because of my route so I don't get to bike year round, alas.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

How do you stop lovely municipal bike racks from scratching your paint constantly? I'm not that fussed about my bikes looks but literally every time a lock up to the rectangular metal ones I get a new scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

distortion park posted:

How do you stop lovely municipal bike racks from scratching your paint constantly? I'm not that fussed about my bikes looks but literally every time a lock up to the rectangular metal ones I get a new scratch.

There might be a way depending on your bike, your locks, and the rack. Could you take a picture? A kickstand, or leaning on your cargo racks or tires instead can help.

Alternatively, you can wrap some electrical tape around the contact point, which isn't bad if you can roughly match the paint. Lizard Skins and others make clear plastic stickers to protect from chain slap which might help unless the rack is sharp.

Otherwise embrace the beater lifestyle.