Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah, it's like the "You wouldn't steal from a smol business market stall" argument mentioned upthread: By framing it as a moral choice rather than a starvation need, it absolves everyone of responsibility for the starvation and makes the discourse shift to whether people are right to not pay. It means come winter, the fash rags can spin the nightmarish stats of people in energy debt as people refusing to pay instead of having been bankrupted by their supplier.
Tory rags will do that regardless though, the 18th century newspapers framed the food riots as gangs of rough youths terrorizing innocent merchants, and drew the line between the deserving poor (literally too starved to move) and people fit enough to roll off a wheel of cheese without much consideration of whether the latter should have to wait to become the former before they got a handful of bread.

Creating a bunch of community organizations in advance is a good thing from that perspective, because it puts people in touch with people, which is about the only thing that can overcome whatever the papers are saying those people are up to.

e: cat tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Chinese Gordon posted:

It should also be noted that the only reason the oil price is down is because the market is starting to price in a massive recession. Fun times.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Miftan posted:

https://twitter.com/IsabelOrtizUN/status/1555486614473826304?t=WDt4rmy9WE82adsbpBtRbg&s=19

So about the raw price of energy being responsible for price spikes..?

That's just the price of a barrel of WTI at the point it's pulled out of the ground; it's not necessarily correlated to consumer energy prices.

Have a look at any freight rate index if you want to see where price inflation is coming from; basically flat throughout the last decade and then 5x, 10x jumps in the last 18months, all of that additional cost has to go somewhere.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1555497800653234176?t=FrYPe6v1Nw107xxlL-UW8w&s=19

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Not sure about the rest of the thread but in the past few years a bunch of people I kinda knew from school have taken their own lives. Just found out the younger brother of someone I hung out with in high school did so last week. I guess just by the general rate it's not surprising but subjectively it feels like a lot.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Cross posting.

https://twitter.com/AndyHa_/status/1555472564427935744

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The water thing made me check on my local water supplier's current reserves and mysteriously it's the one page on their website that's "under maintenance" so that's fun.

OTOH the government water report showed that in June, the latest public record, the area saw below average rainfall, which it's seen for the past few months. And of course followed by July, the bastard month, so that's also fun.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tesseraction posted:

Not sure about the rest of the thread but in the past few years a bunch of people I kinda knew from school have taken their own lives. Just found out the younger brother of someone I hung out with in high school did so last week. I guess just by the general rate it's not surprising but subjectively it feels like a lot.

I only know a couple of people personally who have taken their own lives, but I know friends who have kids aged late teens, twenties who have either experienced it themselves or their kids' friends have taken their own lives over the years. One of my niece's best friends took his own life in 3rd year of uni..
I'm not sure if there is an increase or whether you just become more aware of it once it touches your own life?

Also, of course, there is the shocking decline in mental health services so people not getting the help they need.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Honestly Ricky Gervais, I'm thinking about the animals doing fun stuff....That and the fact that you are an unfunny prick.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
It's been very dry overall round my way for the past few months, and more dry to come.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62420025

quote:

Hosepipe ban in Pembrokeshire after driest year since 1976

A hosepipe ban, expected to last weeks, will be introduced in parts of Wales amid the driest year since 1976.

The ban, covering Pembrokeshire and a small part of Carmarthenshire, starts on 19 August as Welsh Water is under pressure to maintain supplies after low rainfall.

It means people will not be allowed to water their plants, wash their cars or clean windows using a hose.

The water company said the planned ban would be its first since 1989.

It follows similar bans announced for parts of southern England.

Anyone who would like to apply for an exemption to the ban should apply to Welsh Water during the consultation period between 10 and 17 August.

One man told the BBC he was "horrified" at the thought that he might not be able to water his tomatoes.

"I'm not on a meter. I know it's a bit selfish but I pay £800 for water and there's only two of us in the house," said Jonathan Frost, from Cardiff.

"I'm pretty horrified because how am I going to water my tomatoes?"

etc

I'm a bit worried that if the ground gets really bone dry and then we get very heavy rain in October, then the river will flood (I live just about 10-15m from the river depending on how high it gets!). This is what happened in October 2019/February 2020 when the river got to it's highest ever recorded level and was - for my block - just one hand-palm width from coming over the wall between our garden and the river, and other homes around here got up to 1m of flood waters inside.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Honestly Ricky Gervais, I'm thinking about the animals doing fun stuff....That and the fact that you are an unfunny prick.
I would simply not think about Ricky Gervais ever. Even while writing Ricky Gervais I'm thinking about Morph, the claymation man, and not Ricky Gervais.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm glad Morph died before he could get himself cancelled on Twitter

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
800 for water for two seems like... a lot?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I spent a few hours last night stuffing envelopes for the Don't Pay campaign. I know some of the people running it and can confirm that it's not an op. Or at least, if it is an op, the nefarious powers that be have managed to co-opt some long-term dedicated leftists to run it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Watch how Prem viewing figures halve as most quit their Sky packages to save money.

Edit: And lets us all cheer for the lads getting more in one week than we do in several years. Clap at 8pm for their russian owners too.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 5, 2022

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Reject hd technology, return to 240p arabic streams with unhideable chat window

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm glad Morph died before he could get himself cancelled on Twitter

Morph and Tony Hart were legends.
Mr Bennett though. And that grey Morph bastard.
He can gently caress off.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I only know a couple of people personally who have taken their own lives, but I know friends who have kids aged late teens, twenties who have either experienced it themselves or their kids' friends have taken their own lives over the years. One of my niece's best friends took his own life in 3rd year of uni..
I'm not sure if there is an increase or whether you just become more aware of it once it touches your own life?

Also, of course, there is the shocking decline in mental health services so people not getting the help they need.

Not to mention the fact that things genuinely are incredibly poo poo for a whole lot of people. I'd never say it's bad enough to take your own life, but there's not a lot of hope in our futures right now.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Energy prices are one thing but this is pretty crack-ping and that too:

quote:

Rents are up year-on-year across all regions, according to the property website Home.

The mix-adjusted average rise across the UK is a huge 18.8 per cent, says the website.

It's not the landlords who will be losing out.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

happyhippy posted:

Morph and Tony Hart were legends.
Mr Bennett though. And that grey Morph bastard.
He can gently caress off.

Chas was loving hilarious and bought a lot of joy and excitement to Morph's life whether he wanted him to or not!!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I would simply not think about Ricky Gervais ever. Even while writing Ricky Gervais I'm thinking about Morph, the claymation man, and not Ricky Gervais.

As a rational Atheist, Ricky Gervais would approve of you doing this....while also reminding you that he is a rational Atheist.

Did he mention to you, that he doesn't believe in God?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Nicola needs to get started on that border wall before the rising sea claims Anglia and all the reservoirs dry up.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

I spent a few hours last night stuffing envelopes for the Don't Pay campaign. I know some of the people running it and can confirm that it's not an op. Or at least, if it is an op, the nefarious powers that be have managed to co-opt some long-term dedicated leftists to run it.
I'd be curious to hear more about the organisation behind it and I suspect a lot of people would - right now the discourse seems to be divided between people who think it seems highly sus, and people having a go at pod James for pointing out the many ways it seems sus.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Private Speech posted:

Energy prices are one thing but this is pretty crack-ping and that too:

It's not the landlords who will be losing out.

Christ.

What really gets me is that both the housing and energy crises have simple, obvious solutions:

1)Build a shitload of public housing and also force developers to actually build on their banked land.
2)Massive expansion of solar and wind energy. Energy bill subsidies in the meantime. Punitive taxes on obscene fossil fuel profits.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

A front page designed to enrage me. A Scottish edition of a newspaper talking about "the Prem" as if the Scottish Premiership hasn't been underway for a week already

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Comrade Fakename posted:

Nice try, "Comrade Fakename"

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
I'm planning to move (yeah maybe not the greatest idea right now due to the financial everything, oh well) and was refreshing my memory about how these rental tenancy deposit thingies work again.

Googling about tenancy deposit schemes:

So... it seems that this Deposit Protection Service is actually pretty good? :allears:

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Comrade Fakename posted:

even if it was literally an op, which it isn't, who is really winning here? you the useful idiot doing the legwork on a huge and grassroots civil disobedience campaign or them the smart leftist wise enough to stay home and do nothing

if the state really wants to fund and encourage mass civil protest against themselves for some 4d chess reason then I say we let them, it's not like these things have ever got out of hand or had unintended consequences is it

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

When he says "campaigns like you" he means politically convenient ones in the moment.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

domhal posted:

800 for water for two seems like... a lot?

It does. We have a water meter and pay £26/mo for two adults. We're not particularly careful. Anglian Water here.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jaete posted:

I'm planning to move (yeah maybe not the greatest idea right now due to the financial everything, oh well) and was refreshing my memory about how these rental tenancy deposit thingies work again.

So... it seems that this Deposit Protection Service is actually pretty good? :allears:

parasite tears, my favourite

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The DPS ruled last month that my former landlord should get £85 of the £1600 they were demanding. God bless.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

josh04 posted:

The DPS ruled last month that my former landlord should get £85 of the £1600 they were demanding. God bless.

What did they get the £85 for

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I did it. I found the most terrible take online today.

https://twitter.com/meghaverma_art/status/1530817307491983361?t=rbcipnqE68L-9Hqx6RJrdg&s=19

This one was a close second though.

https://twitter.com/bad_histories/status/1554898152221728773?t=rK-AsQUbht6BnamY-WKCkA&s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
This is why Partition was so painful, nerd Britain introducing the Indian subcontinent to the concept of a breakup

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

The only bad thing about the DPS is the process takes time and lots of people don't have enough money to afford the deposit on a new flat without getting as much of the old one back as possible first.

Otherwise yeah dispute every deduction because you will win.

Especially those loving scam end of tenancy cleaning charges.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

^- yeah it took a few months and was pretty stressful, not my first time but I didn't enjoy it much.

Microplastics posted:

What did they get the £85 for

We didn't contest that we'd put some holes in the wall and filled then before we left. If they'd made a more reasonable offer at any point we might have taken it but they stuck to their "more than a month's rent to paint two walls" guns.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

jaete posted:

Yea if you actually drag the landlord to DPS dispute process you usually win because landlords are scum and don't obey the law.

Just that most renters are desperate and uninformed enough they don't know or don't have time to engage in the process to actually get their legal rights. It's not even that onerous but people have a inbuilt fear of legal interactions due to media + never being taught how the law works.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

My old landlord wanted £300 at one point for stuff that was obviously wear and tear, we disputed through DPS and they told the landlord to get hosed he gets nothing lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You ever feel like there should be a "playing silly buggers" clause in laws where if you are consistently a massive chancer you end up in a gibbet?

Cos I feel like that a lot.