Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Cooked Auto posted:

I don't think the jokes about AoSing 40k were ever funny. :v:

It's ok, its happening with 30k instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
30k looks like it's still 18 armies of the same guys in different colours to me op

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

JBP posted:

30k looks like it's still 18 armies of the same guys in different colours to me op

Hey that's not true! They have different shoulder pads now!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/08/05/two-saves-are-better-than-one-for-the-horrific-hordes-in-codex-chaos-daemons

First Daemon Codex preview is up.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

:v:

quote:

It might be their unnatural loping gait, or perhaps Khorne’s just too busy 76pom,.enjoying the spectacle of close combat to lend his protection?**

protomexican
May 1, 2009
I'm curious what the daemon combat patrol will look like, since there's essentially four separate model ranges to bring together.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
New 40k RPG coming: https://www.polygon.com/23293019/40k-imperium-maledictum-d100-gencon-2022 it looks like Dark Heresy 3.0. I pre-ordered Wrath and Glory and have been pretty disappointed in it, so maybe starting fresh is the better thing but still kind of disappointed if they are abandoning it since it did have some good ideas.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

What irrationally annoys me about this article is this:

quote:

In these dark times, daemonic forces are close at hand. The daemons of the warp chitter beyond the veil, gnawing at the thin divide between our realms. In a more literal sense, Codex: Chaos Daemons is nearing release.*

* Could the two be linked? The Ordo Hereticus would like a word.

No they would not, the Ordo Malleus would like a word drat it!

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Did they really give Demons Invulnerabler saves? How long until someone gets a weapon that ignores even these?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

neaden posted:

Did they really give Demons Invulnerabler saves? How long until someone gets a weapon that ignores even these?

I don't think they're invulnerable saves, they're regular savs, but split for melee and ranged.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

I don't think they're invulnerable saves, they're regular savs, but split for melee and ranged.

The second footnote says 'While this may look an awful lot like an invulnerable save, it’s not – daemons are far stranger! Even a railgun can’t just ignore Daemonic Invulnerability." So I think they are just invulnerable but better.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

neaden posted:

The second footnote says 'While this may look an awful lot like an invulnerable save, it’s not – daemons are far stranger! Even a railgun can’t just ignore Daemonic Invulnerability." So I think they are just invulnerable but better.

Oh. Ugh.

It's like they are intentionally doing codex creep at this point, openly and flagrantly.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

neaden posted:

New 40k RPG coming: https://www.polygon.com/23293019/40k-imperium-maledictum-d100-gencon-2022 it looks like Dark Heresy 3.0. I pre-ordered Wrath and Glory and have been pretty disappointed in it, so maybe starting fresh is the better thing but still kind of disappointed if they are abandoning it since it did have some good ideas.

What annoys me is that I follow C7 on twitter and didn't see a word about that.
Unless I somehow missed it completely between all their GenCon floor chatter.

Edit:
Ah, no official word on it yet.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 5, 2022

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I don't get why a bloodletter has a better save vs. ranged than melee. To let it get to melee in fighting shape? But then it'll go down faster in the space where it's supposed to be good. Just seems thematically that they should be weaker to bullets than blades.

I do like the visual of a railgun or powerfist ripping through a demon and the demon just reforming around the hole left by the shockwave, but I have a feeling this is going to screw IG/T'''''au a bit.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Admiralty Flag posted:

I don't get why a bloodletter has a better save vs. ranged than melee. To let it get to melee in fighting shape? But then it'll go down faster in the space where it's supposed to be good. Just seems thematically that they should be weaker to bullets than blades.

I do like the visual of a railgun or powerfist ripping through a demon and the demon just reforming around the hole left by the shockwave, but I have a feeling this is going to screw IG/T'''''au a bit.

Thematically it makes sense.

Getting shot with a gun makes Khorne mad so his demons are more resistant to it. But getting chopped up in melee? That loving rules bro, Khorne cares not whence the blood flows. He's all about folks getting chopped up in melee, even if they're his own guys. Khorne is just as pumped about a Bloodletter getting beheaded as a Space Marine.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Yes, and I think lorewise it was noticed early on that hitting the monsters with a sword worked better than shooting them with lasers or nukes for some reason, so no serious future soldier will be seen without something to hit guys with.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

Yes, and I think lorewise it was noticed early on that hitting the monsters with a sword worked better than shooting them with lasers or nukes for some reason, so no serious future soldier will be seen without something to hit guys with.

There's more ~force of will~ in a sword than a laser or a bullet

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Geisladisk posted:

Thematically it makes sense.

Getting shot with a gun makes Khorne mad so his demons are more resistant to it. But getting chopped up in melee? That loving rules bro, Khorne cares not whence the blood flows. He's all about folks getting chopped up in melee, even if they're his own guys. Khorne is just as pumped about a Bloodletter getting beheaded as a Space Marine.

khorne's always been intended to be just as horny for industrialized warfare with guns (very efficient at killing, y'know), no need to join GW's less inspired writers in over emphasising the berserker stuff in justifying why an army skewed towards elite melee infantry might be given protection against being shot off the board

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Khorne loving hates magic and guns are just bullet magic

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

moths posted:

Khorne loving hates magic and guns are just bullet magic

ah drat, someone tell khorne about all those khornate daemon engines with guns, ideological consistency of the whole operation is being shot in the foot

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Assessor of Maat posted:

ah drat, someone tell khorne about all those khornate daemon engines with guns, ideological consistency of the whole operation is being shot in the foot

I mean they obviously shoot skulls.
Or tiny swords.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Khorne likes it all, but he likes an old fashioned biffo most.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Assessor of Maat posted:

the cool part of the demon engine is not the gun, its the sharp pointy bits

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

Yeah I think it was the Ultras who got boarded with Daemons during the Heresy and standard "shoot the melee guys" strats didn't work or something

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Those guns don't actually fire, it's a bit like ork engineering in that you think they are firing as that is what you expect, what is actually happening is they are breaking off the main body of the demon engine and hitting you in the face before returning to their original position, it just happens really fast due to warp fuckary

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Eej posted:

Yeah I think it was the Ultras who got boarded with Daemons during the Heresy and standard "shoot the melee guys" strats didn't work or something

Sergeant Thiel notices this and raids Guileman's private stash of weird weapons to arm a rag tag group of survivors. When questioned about this he's like "we noticed melee and fire work best, so we just immediately grabbed melee and fire weapons, no matter where they were".

HH Ultramarines are pretty cool.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I did enjoy the Know No Fear audiobook. Just a shame the ending was very Abnett.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cooked Auto posted:

What annoys me is that I follow C7 on twitter and didn't see a word about that.
Unless I somehow missed it completely between all their GenCon floor chatter.

Edit:
Ah, no official word on it yet.

Now there is
https://cubicle7games.com/announcing-warhammer-40000-imperium-maledictum/

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I saw that.
Didn't say all that much new in this case, other than specifying the sector it takes place.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Asking as someone with a bunch of unexpected store credit, is three Skulldozers still a legal army?

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

The real question about daemon saves is will the grey knight daemon slayer warlord trait still ignore them.

Is it an ignore ignore invuln invuln, I mean.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

Asking as someone with a bunch of unexpected store credit, is three Skulldozers still a legal army?

We will find out once codex daemons drops

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Serdain posted:

The real question about daemon saves is will the grey knight daemon slayer warlord trait still ignore them.

Is it an ignore ignore invuln invuln, I mean.

It'll have to be FAQ'd because Daemon Saves are Invulnerable Saves that are not considered Invulnerable Saves so anything that keys off Invulnerable Saves doesn't work.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I hate the save stupidity of this game. That's ok, I'll keep buying that trash.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/0UPqs47kQdCnWDiZ.jpg

Can't wait to see Tau up against an entire army of 3+ unignorable invulnerable saves.

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

Eej posted:

It'll have to be FAQ'd because Daemon Saves are Invulnerable Saves that are not considered Invulnerable Saves so anything that keys off Invulnerable Saves doesn't work.

Isn't that the point though ?? If they wanted them to be the same as invulns they'd just call them invulns.

They specifically mention tau railgun doesn't ignore it.

As a Daemons player ill totally fine with a stupid niche targeted warlord trait to only work against Daemons without daemon saves... Daemon princes and primarchs I guess ?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

raverrn posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/0UPqs47kQdCnWDiZ.jpg

Can't wait to see Tau up against an entire army of 3+ unignorable invulnerable saves.

Use kroot :getin:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The most obvious outcome of the Tau getting an “ignore invulnerable saves” weapon was to make an even more invulnerable unit, like it was immediately apparent they were gonna do it. It’s fun, in a way, that GW codex writing follows schoolyard “nuh-uh” philosophy.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Serdain posted:

Isn't that the point though ?? If they wanted them to be the same as invulns they'd just call them invulns.

They specifically mention tau railgun doesn't ignore it.

As a Daemons player ill totally fine with a stupid niche targeted warlord trait to only work against Daemons without daemon saves... Daemon princes and primarchs I guess ?

Yeah like I said, that trait will have to be FAQ'd to something else probably or only be used for those units. I dunno, it seems pretty straightforward to me. It's a save no ifs ands or buts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Apparently cover also doesn't apply, so I'd assume they can't really get bonuses.