Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Bakugo has fights???

He fought Ochako (and I believe Todoroki) during that one on one tournament a while back at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Larryb posted:

He also killed Nappa and a few of Freiza’s men during the Saiyan and Namek arcs but that was before he’d officially become a good guy

I wouldn't count killing Nappa as winning a fight.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Bakugo has fights???

:yeah:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I wouldn't count killing Nappa as winning a fight.

:yeah:

Good point, that one was more of a straight up murder

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Larryb posted:

He also killed Nappa and a few of Freiza’s men during the Saiyan and Namek arcs but that was before he’d officially become a good guy

Good point, I keep forgetting about Zarbon and Dodoria as fights for some reason.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nessus posted:

Vegeta certainly won his fight against that entire village of Namekians

Did those villagers actually ever get revived? Last I remember them being mentioned was when they revived everyone Frieza killed and Vegeta came out all smugly saying “Haha but that village I killed didn’t get resurrected”

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RatHat posted:

Did those villagers actually ever get revived? Last I remember them being mentioned was when they revived everyone Frieza killed and Vegeta came out all smugly saying “Haha but that village I killed didn’t get resurrected”

No but he attempted to atone for it in one of the Super arc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kild posted:

No but he attempted to atone for it in one of the Super arc.

He did until he realized what he actually should do is be proud of his genocidal race.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Larryb posted:

Good point, that one was more of a straight up murder

I think Goku broke Nappa's spine before Vegeta killed him, so yeah.

Vegeta got an assist on Cell. Other than 19, that's everything I can think of before being the ideas guy with Kid Buu. (Also holding off Buu for a bit tbf). Then he got beaten up by Beerus, bottled it against resurrected Frieza... He beat Toppo I guess.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ImpAtom posted:

He did until he realized what he actually should do is be proud of his genocidal race.

And then he unlocked the power to job even harder while insisting the victory wine in his mouth only makes him stronger.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I quite like super ego as a concept, if it would actually let him beat someone for once.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I quite like super ego as a concept, if it would actually let him beat someone for once.

I don’t think there’s a lot of disagreement on that point, Ultra Ego being “let this guy who used to be a smug tool turn back into that as a powerup” is super rad but no one really wanted the vintage “talk poo poo get hit” Vegeta back.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doesn't Vegeta whip Goku Black?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yes, but actually no. Goku Black basically overpowers Vegeta with some new bullshit scythe power-up immediately afterwards.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

That arc was great for a lot of reasons, and one of those reasons is this (horrible out of context) moment from the dub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDYJO-1IhN8&t=18s

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Shinjobi posted:

He's a dumb failson, an extreme accomplishment considering how much of a failure his dad is

Of course he's beloved

I don't know for certain, but I get the feeling there's a portion of the MHA fandom that's rabidly wishing for Endeavor's death all while insisting Dabi did nothing wrong.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/3937/my-hero-academia-chapter-362

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Whelp, I think that might be it for me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this sucks, man

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kanos posted:

I'm going to take a long shot bet and say that it'll do absolutely nothing besides distract Shigaraki for a chapter before being effortlessly defeated, like every other thing the heroes have done here while waiting for Deku.

Oxxidation posted:

this sucks, man

I'm not even a big Bakugo fan but killing him off (or at best loving him up incredibly if you can live without a heart in MHA universe) so AFO/Shigaraki can have yet another lame "HAHAHA YOU WASTED YOUR TIME I AM SO GREAT!" moment sucks. Hell he got TWO this chapter, it's way past stupid an now becoming a parody of itself. AFO (or whoever it is) is probably one of the most unfun villains regardless of medium I've seen in a while, he's just boring.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 5, 2022

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I can't believe Bakugo is loving dead.

Ah well.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Bakugo better just use his nitroglycerin to restart his heart

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Lol

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nothing makes me think about the gravity of a character's heroic sacrifice more than having the big bad glaoting about how it just charged his power levels next panel for the seventh time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Well, I was completely wrong. Suneater's thing didn't even get a couple of panels to matter.

Oxxidation posted:

this sucks, man

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Raise the stakes! Maim a few more characters! Have the villain no sell 7 more suicide attacks and just get stronger from it. Eventually this fight has to become cool right? ShiragekiForOne will be cool if you just have him shrug off another 3 chapters of build up.

Goddamn at least when Vigilantes did an incredibly long final battle it made it look like both sides were struggling and tried to tie it into the themes and characters of the story. This is just....dogwater dragon ball fanfiction level of villain writing.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Eggplant Squire posted:

I'm not even a big Bakugo fan but killing him off (or at best loving him up incredibly if you can live without a heart in MHA universe) so AFO/Shigaraki can have yet another lame "HAHAHA YOU WASTED YOUR TIME I AM SO GREAT!" moment sucks. Hell he got TWO this chapter, it's way past stupid an now becoming a parody of itself. AFO (or whoever it is) is probably one of the most unfun villains regardless of medium I've seen in a while, he's just boring.

He wasn’t boring before this but him no selling every attack …. Just because? Like why is a human body, even modified, so strong that it can withstand this, it makes no sense and it’s not cool either. It makes everyone else look like complete chumps whose presence was uneeded

Plus what is this art man, I can barely tell what’s going on and who’s doing what . The author is so much better than this, I don’t get what happened for it to all drop so low

Asuron fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 5, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

Bakugo better just use his nitroglycerin to restart his heart

It kind of looked like there was a chunk torn out of it in one panel so he's gonna need a lot of sweat for that I think.

Also I've been extremely accepting of the story at basically all points up until now but even I think this is getting pretty loving irritating.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Ok I'm unfollowing till this ends and I can rest this one shot instead of reading disappointment week after week. What a waste of a good series.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Setting aside all the obvious stupid stuff, Bakugo making himself faster by..setting off explosions..in his blood? I can't wait to see how the official translation handles that.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Asuron posted:

He wasn’t boring before this but him no selling every attack …. Just because? Like why is a human body, even modified, so strong that it can withstand this, it makes no sense and it’s not cool either. It makes everyone else look like complete chumps whose presence was uneeded

Plus what is this art man, I can barely tell what’s going on and who’s doing what . The author is so much better than this, I don’t get what happened for it to all drop so low

AFO was cool when he was this looming presence that was shadowing All Might and grooming a new generation of villains out of spite and possibly some sense of having an heir to his legacy. His big fight with All Might should have been the end of both of them being active as the torch was passed to both Deku, Shigaraki, and their various friends. Him suddenly deciding to mind transfer himself while still also being in his other body so we have two indestructible enemies that endlessly pull answers to every attack out of their asses really ruined him.

Like is anyone enjoying this? I can't think the average MHA fan likes seing their favorite characters being effortlessly hurt and killed so their efforts can just be handwaved off with the most lazy storytelling.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't think I've ever read a manga that feels like it's going too fast and too slow at the same time before MHA. Horikoshi is very obviously trying to speedrun to the end of the manga as a whole, but he's still spending tons and tons of time and effort on completely pointless buildup chapters that totally fizzle out and have zero payoff emotionally or practically. It's like he knows he wants to end the manga ASAP but he feels compelled to draw out every single idea he put on a notepad even if it's extraneous.

Eggplant Squire posted:

Like is anyone enjoying this? I can't think the average MHA fan likes seing their favorite characters being effortlessly hurt and killed so their efforts can just be handwaved off with the most lazy storytelling.

Remember Deku's initial rescue of Bakugo, where he rushed in to try to help despite being utterly powerless, and was told that he could be a hero too?

It kind of loses some of its emotional punch when the villains are completely invincible and can mow through dozens of heroes no matter how hard they try and how much they sacrifice because the moral of the story is that it doesn't matter how noble you are if you aren't enough of an ubermensch to fight god.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 5, 2022

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Who is this even for

Maybe finally Eri will rewind something on-screen again

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Love seeing a major character get a moment where they realize the villain's weakness, power up, and then *checks notes* immediately get murdered with no impact on the bad guy? Truly amazing writing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kanos posted:

I don't think I've ever read a manga that feels like it's going too fast and too slow at the same time before MHA. Horikoshi is very obviously trying to speedrun to the end of the manga as a whole, but he's still spending tons and tons of time and effort on completely pointless buildup chapters that totally fizzle out and have zero payoff emotionally or practically. It's like he knows he wants to end the manga ASAP but he feels compelled to draw out every single idea he put on a notepad even if it's extraneous.

Remember Deku's initial rescue of Bakugo, where he rushed in to try to help despite being utterly powerless, and was told that he could be a hero too?

It kind of loses some of its emotional punch when the villains are completely invincible and can mow through dozens of heroes no matter how hard they try and how much they sacrifice because the moral of the story is that it doesn't matter how noble you are if you aren't enough of an ubermensch to fight god.

Yeah like I totally believe that the plan was always for Bakugo heroically sacrifice himself near the end as mirror of the begining when he was saved. But yeah the emotional weight is nil when he's just another notch in AFO's belt of bullshit smug asspulls.

I expect at the end Deku is going to say some speech about how only together did they overcome this since maybe AFO will have exhausted his stable of asspulls right before the final punch but it's going to be absolutely hollow since we've just had week after week where AFO or Shigaraki takes a single issue to hand wave away another last ditch attack.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 5, 2022

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Remember ages ago when if Eraserhead used his power on Tailguy his tail would stop working since it was technically his quirk but Shigaraki can become an unstoppable hand monster because it's not a quirk somehow?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Hori is a loving hack.

Also, why can the chimaera turn into a gun? What part of a zebra do you need to shoot plasma?

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 5, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

god this owns. there's like three obvious broad directions this can go (is dead, gets healed, somehow the time travel theory turns out to be correct) and all of them suck.

all week i've had KATSUKI BAKUGO DIES IN MAGMA stuck in my head

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
it feels like Hoshikori wants everyone to have a moment of some kind, which, like, works for something like the climax of the Chimera Ant arc in Hunter x Hunter or even the Saiyan Arc in DBZ where everyone just got hosed up to some degree by the main villain’s henchman before Goku showed up, but there’s like way too freaking many characters to do that with, and the tone of the story isn’t selling a hopeless fight like DBZ does as being the point of all these big climatic scenes. This really needs an editor, because I’m not sure what of value would have been lost by just cutting the lion’s share of this. Just let the depressed chimera boy be a funny depressed chimera boy and the cute hyperactive swirly girl be cute in the slice of life school stuff without all this fight padding, I like when they do that.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Madara at least sometimes managed a "gently caress, man, that was pretty close" when a side character failed to beat him. I kind of love these series that make Naruto look better in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
This story sucks holy poo poo.