Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Danny: I've survived on barely any food and a SHITLOAD of amphetamines.
North Korean Cosmonaut: Wait, you had FOOD!?! :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Danielle coming across.footsteps at the North Korean probe is an all-time great moment on this show.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

So the teaser at the end of last season for this one, was that the foot on Mars was potentially North Korean? Nice twist, if not totally unexpected.
As soon as the Ruskie looked down you knew what was up and Danielle's reaction was spot on.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
Let's be honest that DPRK cosmonaut is probably better fed than the average resident of North Korea. I feel it needs much explanation, but it sure is wild.

Dynamite episode. The Aleida and Ellen scenes packed a punch.

One more left and then time warp to... God knows what.

Incredible prediction for those calling out the NK space debris as foreshadowing back in Episode 1.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Arach posted:

Let's be honest that DPRK cosmonaut is probably better fed than the average resident of North Korea. I feel it needs much explanation, but it sure is wild.

Famine came to North Korea after the Soviet Union fell and couldn’t prop up the country’s economy anymore.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I did notice they kept calling it the People's Republic of Korea and not the DEMOCRATIC People's Republic of Korea, so yeah we can infer that this timeline's North Korea is different and likely somewhat better off. It could just be as far as the famine being averted, but as mr. unhsib suggested, all of the Soviet Union's allies might be thriving still. It's even possible that the different name signifies that Korea is united again, though that'd be a big alt-history moment to skip in the first episode's news catch-up.

Did we ever get a line about what happened with the Vietnam War in season 1? It would already have been going on for quite a bit, but did it wrap up earlier so the US could focus on the space race?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rochallor posted:

Did we ever get a line about what happened with the Vietnam War in season 1? It would already have been going on for quite a bit, but did it wrap up earlier so the US could focus on the space race?

Yeah, from memory Nixon ended the war so they could pump the money into the space race after the humiliation of "losing" to the commies.

Would laugh my rear end off if Evil Republican Vice President and Majority Democrat Blackmailer both showed up and said,"Well the President's gay, but the commies beat us to the Moon AND Mars? Get us to Europa, Boss! :patriot:"

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

TV IV › For All Mankind season 3: I'm Gay

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I just lost it at the end out of amazement. I don't care how little sense it made, it's so goddamn funny. Only way it could have been better was if it was Molly.

My headcannon now is actually every single of the probes are manned and there are actually dozens of people hanging around.

But yeah, good episode. I loved the reveal at the start that we're skipping all drama surrounding the pregnancy reveal and how to deal with it to just actually dealing with it, with whatever negative feelings surrounding it just left offscreen. The gay president reveal finally pays off and in a decent way, and I'm not sure how the fallout will play out.

Only part I didn't quite like was Aleida's breakdown over Margot, probably just me wanting that hammer to come down like the other plot points did in this episode instead of having to wait until the finale. Who was that FBI agent they met in the bar anyway? She was implied to be someone they know?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dev's somehow gonna end up the new head of NASA. I know that makes ZERO sense, but it would be pretty funny if they booted Dev out as CEO so they could sell Phoenix to NASA, but Dev ends up running America's space agency and gets to do everything he wanted to do anyway, only now with a 75 billion dollar budget. Especially if the reasoning is,"Margo was secretly working with the Commies, so we replaced her with the man who was openly working with the Commies!"

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

:allears:

This season finale better be even more fantastic than season 2. And the season 2 finale was incredible.

Gigantic :allears: vomiting smaller :allears:

Please give Molly something to do in the finale, even if it's a one-liner :pray:

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

So we getting closer to gay space communism? The reveal of the NK cosmonaut was amazing.

I also miss Molly and wish that if she's written out of the show her departure has a little more fanfare than the crumbs we've had.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Given the timeskip pattern, I hope the closing scene for this series is someone landing on Europa and stepping out to Crank That by Soulja Boy.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I hope the next episode opens with a shot of Time magazine with Ellen on it, saying “I’m gay”

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It's impressive, really, that they managed to engineer a hab space big enough for people to keep wandering away for bad things to happen to characters while they're alone.

Also lol at Dick Gebhart playing hardball. Completely immersion breaking.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Dev's somehow gonna end up the new head of NASA. I know that makes ZERO sense, but it would be pretty funny if they booted Dev out as CEO so they could sell Phoenix to NASA, but Dev ends up running America's space agency and gets to do everything he wanted to do anyway, only now with a 75 billion dollar budget. Especially if the reasoning is,"Margo was secretly working with the Commies, so we replaced her with the man who was openly working with the Commies!"

I think Karen is gonna become head of NASA, as part of some wrangling where the commercial operations of NASA spin off and merge with Helios.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The vice president walks out into the white House press room, and looks around.

VP: as we all now know, the president is a gay. We also know that men are from Mars, and women are from Venus. I'm here to announce that we are going to Venus to get our president some puss.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

The vice president walks out into the white House press room, and looks around.

VP: as we all now know, the president is a gay. We also know that men are from Mars, and women are from Venus. I'm here to announce that we are going to Venus to get our president some puss.

Speaker of the House: I don't think I've ever heard anything stupider..... wait a minute, my God, the Vice President is from Jupiter! :aaa:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If Mars baby is born, what season does Mars baby become POTUS? Season 6 or 7?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Never. Mars baby will rule Mars not Earth.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oh no. I just realized someone is going to have to sacrifice themselves so that the baby can live, aren’t they?

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

Laughing Zealot posted:

My headcannon now is actually every single of the probes are manned and there are actually dozens of people hanging around.

This hosed idea is covered in the novel Omon Ra and it’s totally horror.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omon_Ra

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Ahahahahah I loving LOVE it was the North Koreans. I swear I loving called that poo poo.

What a show this is.

edit:

I loving DID:

quote:

-North Korea are going to do... something. Like I'm pretty sure there's going to be something wild where either they a) somehow have actually created a functioning space craft and beat them to North Korea, or b) end up causing some catastrophic incident (maybe on the Moon) that precipitates more US/USSR tensions.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Everyone called it, my dude.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I did not call a North Korean on Mars.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Once again, the glorious communists have beat the capitalist pig dogs to another planet. Second place again Americans, you bunch of losers

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

bawfuls posted:

Never. Mars baby will rule Mars not Earth.

The title of the next episode is a reference to a 60s sci-fi novel about a man born and raised on Mars, who comes back to Earth, so who knows! :ohdear:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Cojawfee posted:

Everyone called it, my dude.

I'm going to be excited about this stupid amazing space show my dude.

Predictions for next episode:

-Episode starts with the promo shot, revealing the Korean dude. I hope they also show how the gently caress he's survived for this long (presumably) on his own. I also assume that his communications have been damaged because I couldn't see a reason why whichever Kim is running North Korea (is it still North Korea in this timeline? They've called it "People's Republic of Korea" on a number of occasions and I can't remember if there's some timeline fuckery going on) would keep it quiet.

-One of Ed or the baby is going to die. I did throw Kelly into this mix but I think she has to survive as part of the next generation of astronauts. Danny survives for the same reason, and tells either a grieving Ed or dying Ed (the question about his injury is suspicious) about Karen

-Ellen probably gets either impeached or doesn't run again (depending on the time skip). She's still giving Margo that presidential pardon, it's written in the stars.

-Dev takes over at Nasa, Aleida continues climbing the ladder, Karen does... something (either staying at Helios or joining Nasa).

Next season is Mars colonisation and exploration of asteroids.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

EvilHawk posted:

Next season is Mars colonisation and exploration of asteroids.

I want them to attempt a landing at Europa, in direct violation of the message HAL gave them. I'm also assuming as a given since it hasn't been directly contradicted that For All Mankind takes place in the 2010: The Year We Make Contact universe.... though not necessarily the 2001: A Space Odyssey universe :tinfoil:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Jerusalem posted:

I want them to attempt a landing at Europa, in direct violation of the message HAL gave them. I'm also assuming as a given since it hasn't been directly contradicted that For All Mankind takes place in the 2010: The Year We Make Contact universe.... though not necessarily the 2001: A Space Odyssey universe :tinfoil:

They've not quite found the magical science stuff that'll let them go to the outer planets in a reasonable time... yet.

The whole water life/thing has been suspiciously dropped.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

EvilHawk posted:

The whole water life/thing has been suspiciously dropped.

The water/life thing is probably going to be the hopeful note the season ends on.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the father is.... Mars itself!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They are going to bring Mars on Maury. In the same episode (of Maury), they send Danny to boot camp to make him act right.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

They mentioned that the MSAM could barely make it with the number of people they have. With the NK discovery they probably can't take everyone up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Spacebump posted:

lmao at that ending.

Boy that was stupid. lol. Appreciate the gumption to do something so absurd I guess.

Cojawfee posted:

What the hell? How the hell did that guy stay alive that long?

Completely impossible. Soyuz is very small.

Count me as one that didn't call it--I didn't think the show was going to just throw plausibility out like that and switch to space fantasy. But if they're going to embrace the crazy then sure, why not.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

EvilHawk posted:

-One of Ed or the baby is going to die. I did throw Kelly into this mix but I think she has to survive as part of the next generation of astronauts. Danny survives for the same reason, and tells either a grieving Ed or dying Ed (the question about his injury is suspicious) about Karen

Yeah, I can see Ed performing some type of Bruce Willis in Armageddon sacrifice, although that would bum me out.

Great episode building off of last week's pretty good episode. FAM is healing. Kudos to those in this thread who predicted the North Korea reveal like weeks ago. It makes sense from a discipline perspective, at least. I wonder if one of the other goon predictions--that next season will be a regression in terms of space travel--will come to pass.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rental Sting posted:

I wonder if one of the other goon predictions--that next season will be a regression in terms of space travel--will come to pass.

It does feel a lot like this is being set up with Helios backing off and NASA about to be restrained. Maybe to give time for other countries to catch up.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

It does feel a lot like this is being set up with Helios backing off and NASA about to be restrained. Maybe to give time for other countries to catch up.

Al Gore will save NASA when he becomes POTUS in 2000. I feel like it will be impossible for the writers to resist making him POTUS.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

They'll put the Mars Baby birth on ppv and fund space travel for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

nooneofconsequence posted:

They'll put the Mars Baby birth on ppv and fund space travel for decades.

People would pay a lot to watch simply because they will get a bunch of Dmails from their cousin saying that because of the less gravity, the baby will be born inside out or some poo poo.