Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It looks very well thought out, but for me, owning an LTT-branded anything would cause me to die from shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

well why not posted:

It looks very well thought out, but for me, owning an LTT-branded anything would cause me to die from shame.

Thank god someone said it. Ffs

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
250 bucks is an insane price for a backpack and demonstrates the fact this business model is kind of stupid. maybe artisan screwdrivers, people pay a lot for tools, but i could get an an okay to good backpack for literally 10% of that price.

I honestly think a branded backpack is less embarrassing than a shirt tho. no one loving cares about backpack brands so normal people will assume it's just some designer and if anyone recognizes it you can say it was a gift and look grossed out to make them feel bad and leave. can't do that with a shirt.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This guy rolling with a $25 Jansport while I’m glorying in my Tumis

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
see like, you could have made that up for all i have any way of knowing. i am from context assuming you mean the people who make backpacks

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s taken them about 30 years to release a drat screwdriver, so the backpack had better be good

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
From the video I saw, they were trying to build the screwdriver in Taiwan. The factory got purchased by a big tool maker in an effort to get out of Trump's tariffs. Then they didn't actually send (??) the schematics for the screwdriver so the product they got back from the Chinese factory was actually reverse engineered based on the sample they sent.

But I've had my REI backpack about 25 years so not sure how he goes through them so fast :P

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CoolCab posted:

I honestly think a branded backpack is less embarrassing than a shirt tho.

lol I bought a SomethingAwful t-shirt back in 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Screwdriver, backpack or the bottle are all less embarrassing than the shirts which look bad and are a surefire sign you’re a turbo nerd. Some of the heavier garments are more OK, like the shop jacket. Would still never buy because … it’s LTT.

It’s cool that it’s all designed to be functional but … LTT. YouTube merch is usually cheap tees so it’s a bit of a curveball that he’s actually seemingly making real actual designed products.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I can't imagine making any brand or company part of my personality by getting clothes, backpacks, or the like with their name on it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I bought their mousepad because I liked the design and needed a new mousepad. It has become a strong part of my identity.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is my LTTstore.com brand mousepad. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I bought the mousepad because it was time to replace my Corsair one and liked the colors

At least the LTT branding is minimal and I'm the only one who will ever see it. Kinda wish I'd gotten one from GN tho

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
well i guess here's the embarrassment criteria: i like GN. i like their content, i'm not embarrassed at all by that fact, i like quite a lot of their merch even if it is kind of cliche in terms of gamer aesthetic but whatever blacks blues and reds ain't uncommon. i still wouldn't in any context wear something of theirs unless i got it free, and probably not outside

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

GN's drink coasters kick rear end

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The only piece of LTT merch I've ever purchased was one of their beanies. It shrunk so bad after the first wash that it no longer fit on my head.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

stopped being embarrassed by things you like and you'll be a lot happier in life.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

for real!

The only youtuber merch I have is a shirt from corridor digital. I have had a single person recognize it and they were pretty cool

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

so i finally went to lttstore based on this conversation and

ITS ALL LINUS MODELING EVERYTHING?????????

lol

lmao

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Back during peak Covid lockdown when I was building a new PC I bought a GN hoodie to support the channel that gave me great advice.

I like it but very rarely will I ever wear it outside the house.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

lol

lmao

:lmao: yes it's quite tragic

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah they got a lot of mileage out of the branded underwear

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I can't wear brand shirt outside! What if someone thinks I like computer!?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
what if someone recognizes it and wants to talk about it. i'm 35 now the days of me wearing a branded dragonball z shirt to make friends are long behind me. well, outside.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I mean would you expect anything less lol

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Like what you like sure…

But I’ll never understand using both your money and one of your only outlets of self-expression to advertise someone else’s corporation

Nothing is free. You are the product

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I've got a GN mousemat and the GN coasters because I needed a new one of both those things and I like GN and want to support them for being one of the few groups in tech that seem to have actual integrity. I'm sure I could have gotten better value with generic ones but whatever they weren't that crazy and they're nice enough to justify the price and I get to feel like I contributed to a thing that I like so :shrug: and it's not like anybody's going to see any branding on those without already being aware that I am an absolutely tremendous nerd.

$250 is way past the point of diminishing returns though. Nor am I buying a $90 screwdriver or whatever that's going to wind up being. I'm sure they're both very nicely made, but they can't be that nicely made.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CoolCab posted:

well i guess here's the embarrassment criteria: i like GN. i like their content, i'm not embarrassed at all by that fact, i like quite a lot of their merch even if it is kind of cliche in terms of gamer aesthetic but whatever blacks blues and reds ain't uncommon. i still wouldn't in any context wear something of theirs unless i got it free, and probably not outside

My exception to this is the Disappointment Build shirts. I like those designs in general. I'll happily buy their coffee mugs and mouse mats though. This is easily the best mouse mat I've ever owned.

Anyway dehumanize yourself and face to brand.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I really like the Noctua hoodie. It looks like it's good quality, nice colour, small logo that I think looks kinda cool. Even the cuffs with the thumb hole is good in winter. But.
Look at the back of it, ugh, loving ruined.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NP-H1-Brown-Unisex-Premium-Sweatshirt/dp/B084WYB28N

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

namlosh posted:

Like what you like sure…

But I’ll never understand using both your money and one of your only outlets of self-expression to advertise someone else’s corporation

ok adbusters

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I have never looked at tech tuber merch. I just buy most of my clothes from Costco or Target because I don't give a poo poo.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

namlosh posted:

Like what you like sure…

that backpack is $250, the exact opposite of free.

Also if you're the type of person to care about showing branding on your clothing/items surely you're the type of person with 800 iron on patches just waiting for a project.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Is it an internal frame backpack or something? I think 250 is around what I paid for my backpacking pack at REI

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

VostokProgram posted:

Is it an internal frame backpack or something? I think 250 is around what I paid for my backpacking pack at REI

No it just has a lot of fancy details that I’m sure added $200 dollars to the price. I’m willing to take their statement that it’s durable as gently caress at face value but like… I have a jansport backpack from when I was in middle school and it’s still fine.

Like a good example is the pocket that’s specifically designed to hold their screwdriver (or another tool of similar size). That pocket has a zipper on it so if you put something small in the pocket instead of a screwdriver you can get it out, because the pocket is too narrow and deep to use your hands to get something at the bottom.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

namlosh posted:

Like what you like sure…

t-shirt is a billboard, some people understand the symbol and some don't. being a billboard is a form of self expression

having a rare symbol 99% of the time means people have no reaction or someone points to your shirt and then gives you a thumbs up or something.

I am curious, I guess you just avoid logo T's or something

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Tiny Timbs posted:

ok adbusters

Ha! I’d never heard of them

Imma buy me some of their merch

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i literally avoid logo tees, yes

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

CoolCab posted:

i literally avoid logo tees, yes

Me too. Not consciously, but I seem to have gone off them as I got older.
Still have a nice Moog one tho

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Anthony the Redeemer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tbh the LTTStore merch is kind of a bad example to use for this conversation because the logos tend to be pretty subdued and they are genuinely doing interesting design work. Same for the GN merch.

Compare this to sites like GiantBomb and Nextlander which plaster a big "GIANTBOMB.COM" right up front.