Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bagrada posted:

My playtime has cooled a lot, I just started another heavy rpg, and a several nights a week I coop other stuff (gloomhaven, spirit island, other mmos). I still like this game though so I log in each night for a bit to grab login rewards and use up my rapports. I need to try to put some time in this weekend as all my main characters have stalled. Shadow hunter and my newly expressed paladin are at 1370 until I do argus or oreha 2 hard a few times, sorc needs punika, bard needs feiton, and most of my others are at rohendel. Everyone needs to update their bifrosts as I've finished all the una's and souls I was previously set to except the dumb fermata one and the dwarf castle food item.
The time required to do story content is frustrating imo. I chip away at it for a few minutes here, 20 minutes there, for a week or two. But it still is super time consuming despite taking about 90 minutes tops. Maybe it's because I've done it so many times since release but am still too cheap to pay for knowledge transfer story skips or powerpasses.

quote:

I also need to drop some gold to buy accessories and stones for my 1370s, I was kind of avoiding it since I'll have to gear up again (at 1385 or 1415?) but doing oreha 1 normal and hard as SH I could tell my damage was lacking and I was often the last person standing. I feel like even if I don't want to do legion raids anytime soon I should push to 1415 to do moake so I can start working on his star and crab.
I'd go cheap as hell for 1370 gearing. Especially in the current market. Roll 1-3 stones (depending on how hard you brick), equip two epic engravings, and try to hit 3x3 or 3x3 + 1-2. Don't necessarily aim for 6-6, I mean try at first but if things aren't going well try to get like 7-4 or 8-3 or something, that way you can buy +2 engraving accs. Abuse it even more by getting 1-2 accessories with +3 or +2 to a single engraving and 1 junk engraving -- saves tons of gold especially on neck. If it's dps, you can go slightly off meta on one engraving (mass increase instead of cursed doll if it doesn't interfere with buff windows, that type of thing).

This should let you gear up for <3k on most classes, except paladin which blows to gear imo so I wouldn't even bother at 1370 in the current market. I'd try and get expert 3 & blessed aura 2/3 & whatever awakening, but 3x3 costs too much. A few other classes are like this too, accs at legendary are insane due to express so just cheap out. Relic accs/stones are dirt cheap outside of pheon cost. Especially if you're only aiming for 3x3 with them.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

As always I am excited for the upcoming cosmetics.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Khorne posted:

If you're mostly doing maintenance and don't have to do story/horizontal stuff then play time can drop a lot.

With limited time, I'd setup 3x bifrosts for the 2 feiton leap dailies and skip all others (takes 90s tops to do these per character + guild check in + guild silver donation). Then do double rested everything. This is how I manage my roster(s), it's ridiculously time efficient

Probably faster to just do 1 hope daily a day, and gain the full bar of rested, so the 1 hope daily is always rested yielding 8 leapstones for 20s of work.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My go to plan each week for awhile now is to do all of the chaos dungeon weeklies on two characters so I can get the most gold possible from the weekly rewards with the least amount of effort.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Khorne posted:

I'd go cheap as hell for 1370 gearing. Especially in the current market. Roll 1-3 stones (depending on how hard you brick), equip two epic engravings, and try to hit 3x3 or 3x3 + 1-2. Don't necessarily aim for 6-6, I mean try at first but if things aren't going well try to get like 7-4 or 8-3 or something, that way you can buy +2 engraving accs. Abuse it even more by getting 1-2 accessories with +3 or +2 to a single engraving and 1 junk engraving -- saves tons of gold especially on neck. If it's dps, you can go slightly off meta on one engraving (mass increase instead of cursed doll if it doesn't interfere with buff windows, that type of thing).

This should let you gear up for <3k on most classes, except paladin which blows to gear imo so I wouldn't even bother at 1370 in the current market. I'd try and get expert 3 & blessed aura 2/3 & whatever awakening, but 3x3 costs too much. A few other classes are like this too, accs at legendary are insane due to express so just cheap out. Relic accs/stones are dirt cheap outside of pheon cost. Especially if you're only aiming for 3x3 with them.

Thanks for the tips I'll read up and keep an eye on prices for a while to get a feel for it. I picked up some awakening pieces that weren't too expensive but didn't look at expert yet or blessed aura (currently using 2x purples in the slots for +18 for that one).

I said come in! posted:

My go to plan each week for awhile now is to do all of the chaos dungeon weeklies on two characters so I can get the most gold possible from the weekly rewards with the least amount of effort.

As I finish up una's reps I've been short since I haven't been doing weeklies but I realized I have a stockpile of boss rush and cube tickets in my bank so I've been finishing up with those. A couple of lucky token gold bags and a legendary book drop have kept me in the money since I've been absolutely slacking on doing abyss dungeons and gold adventure islands.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bagrada posted:

Thanks for the tips I'll read up and keep an eye on prices for a while to get a feel for it. I picked up some awakening pieces that weren't too expensive but didn't look at expert yet or blessed aura (currently using 2x purples in the slots for +18 for that one).
One good thing about investing in 3x3 for paladin is it's all you'll need through clown so. I guess weight it that way. Given the content gap coming, it's likely the legendary market will chill out in the next few weeks.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea people bitch about support gearing being expensive, but you can run 3x3 as a support all the way through current content and it costs pennies.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Are you loving serious

When the christ are they actually going to add Artist, I'd had it pegged previously as September

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

SpaceDrake posted:

Are you loving serious

When the christ are they actually going to add Artist, I'd had it pegged previously as September

Artist will not be until 2023

which is very dumb imo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Artist will not be until 2023

which is very dumb imo

Yeah that is what I was expecting based on player predictions. Sad about it, but it is what it is. Can't wait to have that class.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

It's too bad the story is so aggressively mediocre with a god awful presentation because there's some neat stuff there. No one wants to suffer through it a 2nd time though.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
They have straight up confirmed Artist is the last class that will be released, well other than Aeromancer which didn't even exist when they said that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

efb

SpaceDrake posted:

Are you loving serious

idk why you had it pegged for Sept. They have said the most recent classes would be released last. And the last 2 classes to be released in KR are Artist and Aeromancer.

We will probably get 1 more class this year after Machinist, either the Reaper or Summoner. Then the other one in early 2023. Then finally the Artist and then Aeromancer. Which brings us basically to Summer 2023.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 30, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

S.J. posted:

It's too bad the story is so aggressively mediocre with a god awful presentation because there's some neat stuff there. No one wants to suffer through it a 2nd time though.

Yeah, I don't mind new story being added, but I am not under any circumstances repeating previous story bits on alts.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Is there a site to look at skins to see what's available? My Deadeye pistols look like toy guns and I'm hoping that gets better

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Hakarne posted:

Is there a site to look at skins to see what's available? My Deadeye pistols look like toy guns and I'm hoping that gets better

Not sure but you can also browse the store or the market place in game and see how the different weapons look. There aren't very many different ones at the moment

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Only the classes with giant weapons get cool weapon skins. :(

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Unfortunately right now that's true. There's a pair of six shooters that I think look neat but they're also very plain.

e: I also think it's odd that the Deadeye has no idle pose and never puts away their weapon.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

S.J. posted:

Unfortunately right now that's true. There's a pair of six shooters that I think look neat but they're also very plain.

e: I also think it's odd that the Deadeye has no idle pose and never puts away their weapon.

Lol yeah that's weird and drives me nuts. Happen to know what those six-shooters are? I'm just looking for some classic six-shooters so that'd be perfect.

Also I was kind of shocked at how little there is to buy for cosmetics. Like it's F2P I think they'd be jamming tons of skins for purchase into the cash shop (a la GW2) but it's pretty barren.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Dripfeeding cosmetics each patch earns them far more money than dumping a ton of them at once.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Hakarne posted:

Lol yeah that's weird and drives me nuts. Happen to know what those six-shooters are? I'm just looking for some classic six-shooters so that'd be perfect.

Also I was kind of shocked at how little there is to buy for cosmetics. Like it's F2P I think they'd be jamming tons of skins for purchase into the cash shop (a la GW2) but it's pretty barren.

I don't remember tbh but I see them on the market fairly often, I think on my server they were like 3-4k gold

e: Honestly tempted to buy the squirt guns that look like .45s and dye them

S.J. fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 31, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I did a 2 man argos bus today and mushroom was the first mechanic a bunch of times and we wiped a bunch of times. Shameful. A few of the times we even got all the mushrooms.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
So I've been putting off clearing Vykas because I just didn't feel like learning it. It takes awhile to reclear with bad group luck and by the time I got to gate 3 I'm tired out. Today I found a chill reclear group and we beat the first two gates easily. I asked if they are willing to let me stay and learn gate 3 or if I should leave and they were like its fine stay they can bus if needed to. I took a few pulls but I managed to learn the fight pretty quickly. It wasn't too difficult compared to the first two gates. However there were other members of the group who were also unfamiliar with the fight so we all learned together and eventually cleared it. The clear run had me dead on the floor so I felt really bad about not being alive at the end but whatever! It is done. Sometimes you get really nice people and have a lot of fun. Other times you get horrible elitists who start malding the first wipe into a reclear. Thankfully this was the former.

On another note this also gives me enough wing pieces to get a full relic set! Also I am probably getting light of salvation 12 piece before I get my lostwind cliff set because Kharmine stubbornly refuses to drop.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
For Vykas, it really does feel like G1 is harder than G2 and G3 (at least on HM, I've never done NM). It's mostly that the orb gate kiting in G1 is so incredibly finicky and the fact that memory repeats so late in the fight and requires that team to have no deaths in order to not wipe. I think on NM you can timestop those failures so it's not as punishing.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Hyper Inferno posted:

For Vykas, it really does feel like G1 is harder than G2 and G3 (at least on HM, I've never done NM). It's mostly that the orb gate kiting in G1 is so incredibly finicky and the fact that memory repeats so late in the fight and requires that team to have no deaths in order to not wipe. I think on NM you can timestop those failures so it's not as punishing.
G1 has the highest execution requirement for all party members but not much to know. Normal makes it way easier because you can time stop when people mess up or are dead.

G2 has some in-depth mechanics but only ~1-3 people need to know them.

G3 has the most mechanics and requires knowing the most stuff but they're largely simple to execute except for hm medusa & tentacles which is easy enough to understand but requires actual mechanical skill. On tentacles 2 good players can kill every single tentacle if a bunch of random people don't get charmed which makes it usually not a problem. I don't actually know how pugs do HM medusa because even when we have pug players we just use people we know to do that mechanic.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 2, 2022

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Khorne posted:

I don't actually know how pugs do HM medusa because even when we have pug players we just use people we know to do that mechanic.

You can just timestop it, everyone looks away and when you see the red lines wait 1 second then timestop.

Or the real answer, most groups have enough dps you never see the mechanic.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Khorne posted:

G1 has the highest execution requirement for all party members but not much to know. Normal makes it way easier because you can time stop when people mess up or are dead.

G2 has some in-depth mechanics but only ~1-3 people need to know them.

G3 has the most mechanics and requires knowing the most stuff but they're largely simple to execute except for hm medusa & tentacles which is easy enough to understand but requires actual mechanical skill. On tentacles 2 good players can kill every single tentacle if a bunch of random people don't get charmed which makes it usually not a problem. I don't actually know how pugs do HM medusa because even when we have pug players we just use people we know to do that mechanic.

I found gate 1 to be the hardest because you basically had to have everyone alive on the purple side first going into phase 2. I always pray I get purple group because I am confident in surviving. But at the same time I am also nervous that the blue group first will fail orbgates so its like always this uneasiness going into it.

For gate 2 I always try to do the calling for wings and for orbs because there is no one I trust more than myself at this. This lessens the chance of people messing up. However I hate this phase the most because Vykas doesn't stand still and I have a hard time landing my skills as a sorceress. I've gotten better but I still miss quite frequently which doesn't help that a lot of groups seem to run into enrage on this fight.

For gate 3 I've done it once but pugs on medusa you have two people from each group doing 1-1 or 1-2 and 2-1 2-2 depending on the number of wings. That was the original plan for my run last night. But you could also time stop medusa so we just decided it was easier to time stop than to do the mechanic correctly because occasionally someone messes up. There really isn't much mechanics that if someone messes up, the entire party wipes. I guess someone dropping a slow or swiftness ground effect will mess up a group but that mechanic is super simple to do. The typing one maybe? But very rarely do people mess that one up too.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I can definitely say that most of the pubs I've met who actually talk are huge loving assholes but it feels good out DPSing them with a subpar build even when they've got optimal gear

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
I actually learned how to do medusa from doing it with pugs before I did it with my static group; hell I did a complete HM Vykas clear pugging before I did it with our static. Honestly with all the teamwork required in these raids, the pugs are a lot less toxic than I would have expected. The only exception I've found so far is failing Valtan P2 destruction check, for justifiable reasons.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Olds posted:

Honestly with all the teamwork required in these raids, the pugs are a lot less toxic than I would have expected. The only exception I've found so far is failing Valtan P2 destruction check, for justifiable reasons.

Agree with this completely, most of the pugs I have done have been great. And yea failing the destruction check on Valtan is extremely triggering, we really need bomb usage shown in chat like they have in KR.

S.J. posted:

I can definitely say that most of the pubs I've met who actually talk are huge loving assholes but it feels good out DPSing them with a subpar build even when they've got optimal gear

Most pug dps is just horrendously bad, sometimes to a baffling level. As much as DPS meters might make some things more toxic, there are a ton of players that could really benefit from their use. I see a huge number of players doing 1/3rd the dps of everyone else and the MVP system really will never let them see just how much more they should be doing. Even worse when sometimes the MVP is just broken and won't even show 4 people, or the fact that the Fighter title covers 1-29% damage so how could you tell your performance.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 2, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah the titles are honestly useless most of the time imo

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
This weekend I found the depths of Valtan pugging where not only did they fail the destruction check, they failed to understand the charge aggro mechanic as well; I'd never seen a group utterly fail to understand that they needed to bait Valtan into a pillar multiple times.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I find pugging is ok most of the time for legion raids. Everyone here is trying to accomplish the same goal. Occasionally you get some really terrible people but its like one out of several hundreds. Matchmaking is where the horrible people show up. Abyssal dungeons especially. You get people who gets pissed off when someone doesn't know a mechanic, or something goes wrong like a wipe. Try doing the underwater abyssal dungeon in tier 2. As soon as someone makes a mistake, you get people throwing a tantrum. Or when people are trying to teach they immediately run to the portal and try to pull everyone to start it and then complain people should know the stuff.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

I said come in! posted:

The water flowing from its eyes took me by complete surprise and I started laughing so hard.

Goddamn lol

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

If you are sick of pubbing and on Una, our static has an opening for a dps with a good attitude and is on time. We raid Friday nights 730cst-1130cst. I believe everyone is at/above 1460 at this point. Best place for more info would be the goon lostark discord.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Is there a newbie guide for like... Lost Ark 101? I'm stumbling through and enjoying it but the amount of obscure systems, currencies, and activities is staggering. It is by far the most convoluted MMO I've ever jumped into. I'm filling my storage with chests/bags of honing stone selections and tons of other random selectable rewards because I have no idea wtf any of it may be useful for. I also have a constant lingering feeling that I may be missing or overlooking key mechanics because there's just so much... everything.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Hakarne posted:

Is there a newbie guide for like... Lost Ark 101? I'm stumbling through and enjoying it but the amount of obscure systems, currencies, and activities is staggering. It is by far the most convoluted MMO I've ever jumped into. I'm filling my storage with chests/bags of honing stone selections and tons of other random selectable rewards because I have no idea wtf any of it may be useful for. I also have a constant lingering feeling that I may be missing or overlooking key mechanics because there's just so much... everything.

This was my feeling too. The answer is just to do the main story as hard as you can and then enjoy the zones to completion later. Don’t get bogged down in minutiae.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Hakarne posted:

Gonna disclaimer this with you won't be missing out on anything. Chaos dungeons after you're max level & finish vern are the main source of character progression and you're limited to two per day per character. Everything else is optional enough. Also, new accounts have a ton of story & horizontal content to get through that will consume most of your play time. The list below is an attempt to summarize the content's daily/weekly.

(1) Follow the main story. If you want to min-max, you can skip anikka and do arthetine and then go do vern. But, you gotta do anikka at some point.

(1.5) Don't you have an event/mokoko thing in the top right that gives you rewards for doing various things? Following that might not be a bad idea. Some of it is optional.

-- All of the next points are after max level.

(2) When you hit max level, go complete Vern.

-- stuff that's good to do and refreshes daily/weekly

(3) When you unlock daily/weekly content do chaos dungeon x2 each day you play

(4) Weekly tasks: challenge guardian raids (if you're max level now, don't do velganos), challenge abyssal dungeon are good. One of them gives you a ton of leapstones for upgrading gear or selling. The other gives cards and stuff.

(5) There's some event thing going on. There's a loading screen and event quest for it. The event vendor refreshes weekly and gives you a bunch of free stuff. You'll need to go do the event when it comes up for tokens, but you'll get tons of honing materials and good account stuff from the vendor.

-- stuff that's less important to do but still good and changes daily

(6) The events like pirate ship, chaos gate, and world boss are good to do.

(7) You can do 2x guardian raids per day, they give tradable leapstones you can sell for gold or use.

-- a side note

(8) You also probably have to do shushire at some point after vern because powerpasses are disabled for another week. Otherwise, I would have told you to use the free vern powerpasses on a 2nd & 3rd character after unlocking them and it will autocomplete shushire and related content.

(9) You can queue up for abyssal dungeons at some point. There's usually one high level character that destroys everything right now. They give a bit of gold. These become more important after punika and are optional before then. If you run out of gold, probably remember to do these and/or sell tradable leapstones/tradable shard bags from chaos gates.

I wouldn't be too concerned with currency/etc. Don't spend pheons (blue circle thing, used for buying gear on the auction house) or blue crystals until way later.

All the 101 guides are outdated but you can check maxroll's guides. Just kinda learn stuff at your own pace. Pick something & do it when you feel like it/have time. Once you complete the punika quest you probably want to learn a few things if you haven't yet.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Khorne posted:

Gonna disclaimer this with you won't be missing out on anything. Chaos dungeons after you're max level & finish vern are the main source of character progression and you're limited to two per day per character. Everything else is optional enough. Also, new accounts have a ton of story & horizontal content to get through that will consume most of your play time. The list below is an attempt to summarize the content's daily/weekly.

(1) Follow the main story. If you want to min-max, you can skip anikka and do arthetine and then go do vern. But, you gotta do anikka at some point.

(1.5) Don't you have an event/mokoko thing in the top right that gives you rewards for doing various things? Following that might not be a bad idea. Some of it is optional.

-- All of the next points are after max level.

(2) When you hit max level, go complete Vern.

-- stuff that's good to do and refreshes daily/weekly

(3) When you unlock daily/weekly content do chaos dungeon x2 each day you play

(4) Weekly tasks: challenge guardian raids (if you're max level now, don't do velganos), challenge abyssal dungeon are good. One of them gives you a ton of leapstones for upgrading gear or selling. The other gives cards and stuff.

(5) There's some event thing going on. There's a loading screen and event quest for it. The event vendor refreshes weekly and gives you a bunch of free stuff. You'll need to go do the event when it comes up for tokens, but you'll get tons of honing materials and good account stuff from the vendor.

-- stuff that's less important to do but still good and changes daily

(6) The events like pirate ship, chaos gate, and world boss are good to do.

(7) You can do 2x guardian raids per day, they give tradable leapstones you can sell for gold or use.

-- a side note

(8) You also probably have to do shushire at some point after vern because powerpasses are disabled for another week. Otherwise, I would have told you to use the free vern powerpasses on a 2nd & 3rd character after unlocking them and it will autocomplete shushire and related content.

(9) You can queue up for abyssal dungeons at some point. There's usually one high level character that destroys everything right now. They give a bit of gold. These become more important after punika and are optional before then. If you run out of gold, probably remember to do these and/or sell tradable leapstones/tradable shard bags from chaos gates.

I wouldn't be too concerned with currency/etc. Don't spend pheons (blue circle thing, used for buying gear on the auction house) or blue crystals until way later.

All the 101 guides are outdated but you can check maxroll's guides. Just kinda learn stuff at your own pace. Pick something & do it when you feel like it/have time. Once you complete the punika quest you probably want to learn a few things if you haven't yet.

Awesome, thanks for that. I'll just keep exploring and pick it up as it comes. It's good to have an idea for the time-limited stuff I need for progression though so I appreciate the breakdown.