Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I have gas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Bridges are great, you can use them to get your pipes to do exactly what you want.

In regards to electrolyze output, you’ll probably want a separate pipe and pump per electrolyzer - running at full tilt, their throughput is too much for just one. There’s no harm in producing a little excess O2 so long as your base is fully sealed and you have the water supplies, the vents will eventually slow down the flow as the area around them reaches high pressure.

You can always supplement electrolyzer water in the early game by filtering polluted water from a swamp biome. Cram a sieve in a locked room with a storage bin filled with sand, a sweeper and a sublimation station. As a bonus the sublimation station will keep on pumping polluted air out to something crazy like 150 kg per square. Run some pipes to a room of deoderizers later on and you have a massive amount of supplemental O2. Just uh, remember to have all the pipes and wiring sorted before you lock the room and turn everything on or there will be problems :v:

Gotta let the oxygen sit for a bit until all the germs die off though

I love how many uses there are for elements in this game if you put a little thought into it, it’s really neat.

E:

OzyMandrill posted:

I have gas!

Same principle but this is loving wizardry to me

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 5, 2022

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

If you tee off every vent then half of the gas goes to the first vent in the line and half of what's left to the next and so on. When I want to have a bunch of vents in one line generally the end of the line is where I want the gas to go first, so each vent goes in the middle tile of a bridge - the bridge prioritizes output further down the line, so the gas all goes to the end of the line before it starts coming out any other vents. I also like putting pressure sensors next to each vent so it doesn't go to a full 2kg in every room, at least until I have unlimited oxygen generation - 800g to 1.2kg seems to be plenty (depending on the size of your rooms and other factors like airlocks).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish there was a pipe bundle like the automation wire bundle.

I end up with a lot of pipe spaghet that I have to rework a bunch to add in ways to run other pipes through them.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I've started building mechanical floors into my overall base designs entirely for that reason. They also make good spaces for storage tanks, batteries, etc. that don't need interaction and you don't need to oxygenate them once completed.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

OwlFancier posted:

I wish there was a pipe bundle like the automation wire bundle.

I end up with a lot of pipe spaghetti that I have to rework a bunch to add in ways to run other pipes through them.

That's half the puzzle though! I've always been fascinated with the spaghetti of pipes on any industrial plant. We've got a cement works down the road, and 10 miles away is Port Talbot with massive steelworks. And every pipe, turn, and joint is for a purpose. Sometimes the purpose is 'because the proper place is taken' or 'it seemed like a good idea at the time', but there's reason behind the madness.

I'm slowly warming my gas boiler up still - been about 60 cycles running in the background, nursing it. I just love the way you have to 'pilot' the industrial machinery into action, small tweaks to iron out weird wrinkles. Adjusting temperature switches a degree at a time as heat equalises. I've adjusted the positioning of some of the metal tiles in my cooling stack to account for how the uprising natural gas goes, I've now added automation for the cooling and oil feeds so it's pretty much automatic, but I'm still running at 1/5 capacity while I fill up the bottom 2 tiles with liquid methane (accidentally froze a bunch which didn't help)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A consistent feature of all my base design is a large central riser that has space for a bunch of piping, the main electrical trunk, transit tubes, ladders, poles, and also functions as a primary gas fractionator for the base with some sort of carbon eliminator at the bottom, as well as a general liquid sump so when I'm digging out wet bits I just dump it down the riser and sort it out later.

It's still awkward to deal with bundles of pipes close together.

E: I also live near a chemical plant IRL on the opposite coast from you and yeah it does look neat, but IRL we have three dimensions to put pipes in, you don't go "drat have to knock this pipe down so I can put a magic different pipe that won't connect to the other pipe but we can only do it over one tile"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 5, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That's a cool design, I'll try it next time. I generally gravitate towards surrounding my base with a vacuum barrier and running utilities and transformers through that. Only issue is that it's kind of a pain because despite my best planning I often have to expand it as bits are added to the base.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

OzyMandrill posted:

I have gas!

Sour gas is wild. It takes a ton of resources to manage but you can extract a perverse amount of energy from it. Probably more than straight up petroleum, but I can't be arsed with calculations. :v:

Also methane to natural gas has a stupid amount of evaporative cooling. I watched it drop a room like 60C once

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Xerol posted:

I've started building mechanical floors into my overall base designs entirely for that reason. They also make good spaces for storage tanks, batteries, etc. that don't need interaction and you don't need to oxygenate them once completed.

Yeah, I try to move anything industrial outside of the living area as soon as I can. Even things like a rock crusher just blast way too much heat

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
How effective is a pre-space sour gas boiler? What kind of throughput can you get in a reasonably-sized setup, and what kind of net power can it yield?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

HolHorsejob posted:

How effective is a pre-space sour gas boiler? What kind of throughput can you get in a reasonably-sized setup, and what kind of net power can it yield?

Once this gets up to speed, I plan to be chucking 1.5kg oil to get 1kg/s gas, which is ~8kW, with approx. 2kW running costs, so 6kW, which should be plenty to see me through to the endgame, an excess of ~200g/s of water, which is ~3 more dupes worth of O2, and some sulphur for water-free food.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fruits of the sea posted:

That's a cool design, I'll try it next time. I generally gravitate towards surrounding my base with a vacuum barrier and running utilities and transformers through that. Only issue is that it's kind of a pain because despite my best planning I often have to expand it as bits are added to the base.

Everyone seems to do a lot more excavation than I do, and also a lot more stuff generally. I'm at cycle 600 and only just got a rocket launched.

Granted that is mostly because I tend to branch out a long way and have a woeful amount of time spent commuting even with the transit tubes, but even still I just don't excavate any more than I need to generally unless I'm planning to build something in there.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panty Saluter posted:

Sour gas is wild. It takes a ton of resources to manage but you can extract a perverse amount of energy from it. Probably more than straight up petroleum, but I can't be arsed with calculations. :v:

Also methane to natural gas has a stupid amount of evaporative cooling. I watched it drop a room like 60C once

Yeah it produces a lot more energy than the petroleum on its own, and also gives you free polluted water as a byproduct, making it a source of renewable water.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Everyone seems to do a lot more excavation than I do, and also a lot more stuff generally. I'm at cycle 600 and only just got a rocket launched.

Granted that is mostly because I tend to branch out a long way and have a woeful amount of time spent commuting even with the transit tubes, but even still I just don't excavate any more than I need to generally unless I'm planning to build something in there.

There’s a certain satisfaction in clearing out a biome but yeah, an extra 100 tons of granite probably isn’t worth the oxygen it takes to get it.

Now I just clear cut areas for an engineering project or if I want to silo an ocean of gas or liquids.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

There’s a certain satisfaction in clearing out a biome but yeah, an extra 100 tons of granite probably isn’t worth the oxygen it takes to get it.
Unless you’re me, Mr. Hatch Barbecue. Lately I’ve had (small asteroid) games where I end up importing rocks to my home world.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
When I first discovered smooth hatches I bred them very aggressively. Then a few cycles later I learned why you don't do that

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think I've ever done hatches. Dreckos is about the only thing I've done cos free fiber and esp. plastic are useful. Also phosporite.

Oh and pips I guess, I usually try to make a big wild arboretum to produce lots of free lumber.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

It's a good idea to keep around a ranch of hatches and a ranch of stone hatches, at least, it's a sporadic source of nice meals and allows you to run your basic coal plant as a backup for until you need to move it, while stacking up extra coal as a hedge against loving something up with other fuel sources.

Teleporter-conveyed coal is a really easy way to power your second-home asteroid, also, getting your small startup crew access to all the labor-saving devices they can build.

If your conveyor chute drops coal directly into the generator room, it's pretty easy to make sure that tile's always sterile carbon dioxide, to keep supplied food fresh. If that room has got an auto-sweeper to feed the generators, and you can fit a conveyor loader into the madness then you can have everything not fuel sent to somewhere more accessible, too.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Yeah every base needs at least one stone hatch ranch to eat up those thousands of tons of igneous and granite.

Also you can starvation ranch the new sanishell for an obscene amount of cooked seafood and make surf & turf. I use a small (12 tree) wild arbor farm to produce some ethanol and polluted dirt, and instead of using compost heaps, I bank up the pdirt until it hits 1 ton, and then that triggers a second auto-sweeper that feeds it all at once to the sanishells. That way they periodically starve (though they do barely produce an egg when starving) and then when you dump lots of pdirt in at once they'll all get to eat and live for a second egg, which causes a big burst of extra food every 18 cycles. (I have a dropper and boiler for the extra baby crabs).

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Up to half speed, 750g oil in, 500g gas out continuous, and cooling isn't running all the time, and it is currently powering the rest of the base, but I'm not really doing much tbh so it is wasting alot of power right now. It is making 4.2kW, and using maybe 2kW average. I really should do something with it, but it has not even got the 'steam power room' up to boiling yet, even after 100+ cycles. Hmm.. smelting time ready for space maybe. OOh, I should start collecting the CO2 now.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

OzyMandrill posted:

Up to half speed, 750g oil in, 500g gas out continuous, and cooling isn't running all the time, and it is currently powering the rest of the base, but I'm not really doing much tbh so it is wasting alot of power right now. It is making 4.2kW, and using maybe 2kW average. I really should do something with it, but it has not even got the 'steam power room' up to boiling yet, even after 100+ cycles. Hmm.. smelting time ready for space maybe. OOh, I should start collecting the CO2 now.

transit tubes can consume an unlimited amount of energy

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
things always start so simple

but in ONI, as in life, something you think would be a simple linear increase turns out to be exponential. At least if you want it to work most of the time

I am rather pleased with it though. I really haven't done a lot with industrial bricks but managing them is an interesting puzzle. The tank on the right got filled with 5T of petroleum for coolant use. The single loop worked really well at reclaiming heat but of course you wind up storing some heat in the liquid tank, so I added the liquid shutoff so the coolant will keep flowing while the forge is not in use (it's keyed to the motion sensor with a NOT gate).

Of course then I get the bright idea to expand and the bypass is in the way so that's where the pipe element sensor comes in. Coupla AND gates and we're in.

Except for now we're bumping too much heat and passive coupling isn't working for the steam generators. So expand again to accommodate a TA and even more piping. Now expand power production so you can run all this crap, and who knows what next...

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I can’t play with screenshots right now, but if you don’t know you can run a pipe “through” a bridge (that is, directly from the input port to the space between the two ports, then turn it 90 degrees). That gives you the situation of “go through the bridge if possible, but take the alternate route if not”. You can use that to keep a loop in constant motion without automation.

Edit: it’s the same as just branching off the input port, but you can save a space by using the empty space in the middle of the bridge.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 7, 2022

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The automation is to shut down the coolant circulation from the liquid tank when the forges are in use. Basically it's a secondary loop to keep the coolant at a minimal temperature, rather than letting it sit in the tank with all the heat not doing anything.

But yes, I use bridge bypasses constantly. Mostly to fill lines for atmo suits then bypass to whatever else further down the line

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Panty Saluter posted:

The automation is to shut down the coolant circulation from the liquid tank when the forges are in use. Basically it's a secondary loop to keep the coolant at a minimal temperature, rather than letting it sit in the tank with all the heat not doing anything.
Oh, ok. But does it really make a difference over time? Seems with or without the pause, you’re still adding X heat, deleting Y heat, and circulation during non-refinery-use time will bring everything into equilibrium anyway.

But it’s kind of late here so I may be missing something.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The way it's piped in now a lot of coolant stays in the reserve tank and so the heat just sits there and means I start off with hotter coolant the next time I go to refine. I like just extracting it so I don't have to think about it. But yes, it's the same total amount of heat.

It might make a little more sense in motion, but I'm not at home to take a video clip right now. IDK about anyone else but I cannot parse almost any setup in ONI from stills.

I was going to rework some of it tonight since using two refineries at the same time with one loop does cause slowdowns when the coolant collides. The sensible answer is probably two separate loops, but that's not much fun, is it? :v:

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

With petrol, as long as the coolant stays under 550 degrees it doesn't really matter. I usually just run a single loop into the steam pipe and straight back without worrying about leaving heat behind. even if it returns at 250 degrees, it's still fine for making steel with. I also always add a steel AT to the first steam chamber because once you start forging, you're going to be wanting some serious cooling in the near future, so get one made and running as early as possible.
A bit like this:

The AT return in a regular pipe should be enough cooling to keep the turbine working, and the rest of the loop heads of around the base to suck in and heat (e.g. kitchens) and converts it to power for you. The forge coolant will hit an equilibrium where it leaves at ~400 degrees+, returns at 240ish, and that's absolutely fine.
Tho that's the simple AT loop, I personally prefer to cool a large block of stone/metal tiles and run loops from the base into that - decoupling it from the AT lets you control the cooling just by adding or removing radiant pipe sections on the cold block.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Oh I know petro is fine to 550, I just don't like leaving hot liquid sitting around. That setup is my satisfying my particular idiosyncrasies. I like a guard against thermal runaway.

The idea of integrating with whole base cooling is interesting. What is the thermo pipe sensor set to? Is it just using polluted water?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
When I use that idea, I use pwater as the loop coolant and set the aquatuner shutoff temp to roughly zero, plus or minus one or two. Maybe start at 5 and let it run a while because it’s kind of a task to set up and I don’t want it to break immediately :v: But it never does.

E: also personally I'm not too worried about quick chilling of the base so I make the base cooling loop out of regular granite pipe, and eventually put in a few strategically placed one- or two-segment sections of radiant pipes in heat “trouble spots”.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 7, 2022

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
yeah agreed, as long as you can give the pipes a few cycles to hit temperature granite is fine. Preferable even, since it avoids nasty dips and spikes. That's the other reason I like the reserve tank; it buffers the temp of the coolant a lot

e: also granite is cheap and easy and radiant pipe material is not

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Panty Saluter posted:

The idea of integrating with whole base cooling is interesting. What is the thermo pipe sensor set to? Is it just using polluted water?

Here is what I have at the top of my base, keeping it cool from the steam vent:

It's just pwater in regular granite pipes (granite is 2x cooling of igneous, so you can reduce the effect where it overcools). The thing to note is the aquatuner loop is a distinct separate small loop of its own, just chilling a block of tiles that the other pipes dump heat into. (check out the dinky loop that keeps the turbine cool). Keeping it a small loop like this has many advantages. It is faster to get to target temperature, cheaper/easier to set up, it stays running while you edit other loops, and when you get super-coolant it is so much easier to change just this small inner loop and get the benefits.
E: Design note - That small block of diamond &granite tile is a counterflow heat exchanger. Cold flows right to left, coming direct from AT loop, the main base chill loop flows from left to right in the conductive pipes. This gives the best dynamic temp difference between the two sources, and genuinely gets the main loop temp 1 or 2 degrees lower just because of the direction of flow.

Temp-wise, as in this instance it is the main loop I care about, I started with it set to 5 degrees. This made the main temp loop stabilise at 31 degrees. I want it at about 27, so I just dropped the temp to 1 degree, and in a few cycles i expect the main lop will be at 27 ,maybe 28 (and I can always drop another degree). This temperature, and %age of time the AT is active are your guides to how well it is dealing with the heat. As the base cools, the load will reduce, and you may need to either revisit the temperature here, or the other way to scale is adding more or less conductive pipe segments in the cooling block.

PS: There's no thermal reason for all the hydrogen - I had an slight timing accident with a hydrogen vent.
PPS: I also hate mining a natural tile if I can help it. While still natural, and with free roaming pips, there's always the chance of becoming a wild something useful.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 7, 2022

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Oh yeah, I've rolled setups like that. It would be something of a pain to string it to my forge because it's way down in the mantle lol. Current asteroid is Aridio and all that. Also I scored a cool slush geyser which is cooling and feeding my electrolysers so that's that problem handled :v:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Am I misremembering or did water sieves way back when used to output at a minimum of 30C?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Am I misremembering or did water sieves way back when used to output at a minimum of 30C?

You're right, some conversion machines had fixed output temperatures. IIRC, the change happened shortly before the game left early access. Now they generally have minimum output temperatures, but the water sieve does not.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I thought so because I remember having a metal “tray” of clean water sitting in a big pool of cool slush pwater to cool it down.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is there any way to look up what the "active" tiles of buildings are?

E: nvm found a resource. if anybody doesn't already know: https://imgur.com/a/wwIuCi0

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 8, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Loving my "nature reserve" which is now just a tiny plot of sand filled with slimelung and pipes, surrounded on all sides by industrial machinery. It still gives me free grubfruit!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Today I have existed in a two foot wide ladder shaft which technically does not have a door between it and a patch of dirt with four dead meal lice plants in it, i love nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Is there any way to look up what the "active" tiles of buildings are?

E: nvm found a resource. if anybody doesn't already know: https://imgur.com/a/wwIuCi0

See also: https://oxygennotincluded.fandom.com/wiki/Cell_of_Interest