Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Have you heard of the concept of a "meme"?

Obviously, the steam review section just seemed like a weird place for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Why does there seem to be a copy pasted Steam review on every game about how this particular game brought me closer to my son because I'm an old fart blah blah blah. It's the same text but it's always different users posting them.

Actually it is because videogames are a pretty great way to connect children and parents and it's a guerrilla campaign to get more dads and moms to show interest in their kids' games before they become estranged parents.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If you're into turn-based tactics games then don't sleep on Hard West 2, it does some interesting things with it's mechanics and the into fight takes place on hell train that walks like a spider, which is a really cool visual.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1282410/Hard_West_2/

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Have you heard of the concept of a "meme"?
sounds like a meme

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jack Trades posted:

Does the game even ever makes you figure any of it out on your own? Because from what I've seen in 6 hours, it just gives you waypoints for collecting codes until you have enough of them to activate the winning route.
As far as I remember, the only waypoints it gives you are for things you already know the location of in the game. Much like Dishonored, the point is not figuring out what to do, but figuring out the best way to do it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Volte posted:

As far as I remember, the only waypoints it gives you are for things you already know the location of in the game. Much like Dishonored, the point is not figuring out what to do, but figuring out the best way to do it.
It straight-up tells you the victory route once you have all the info needed to do it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Wow that's incredibly lame, that's like... the opposite of what I thought the game was about.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

anilEhilated posted:

It straight-up tells you the victory route once you have all the info needed to do it.
That's....what I said

Serephina posted:

Wow that's incredibly lame, that's like... the opposite of what I thought the game was about.
It's basically a spiritual successor to Dishonored, not a puzzle game like some people assumed. Some people are very mad about that

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Volte posted:

It's basically a spiritual successor to Dishonored, not a puzzle game like some people assumed. Some people are very mad about that

Spiritual successor to Dishonored minus all the actually interesting things that Dishonored had going for it, like fun abilities that let you interact with the environment and creative solutions to problems besides "press button to kill dude".

The "And now we fight a duel that no one else could fight" scene from Dishonored 1 alone is a loving masterpiece.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 5, 2022

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

the one where you instantly kill daud by pressing button to kill dude?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Looks like a game called Star Valor came out of Early Access today with good reviews, looks like EV Nova? Anyone tried this?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Volte posted:

Yea but I mean, didn't Akrane just finish doing Prey, and more specifically Prey: Mooncrash, which was basically all of that? Certainly the marketing material implied it'd be something along the same vein, that's what I got from it.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 5, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Volte posted:

That's....what I said

Maybe people kept confusing it with The Forgotten City

juicefest
Jun 12, 2022

Jack Trades posted:

the banter between the two main characters is probably the best part of the game.

It is until it starts repeating a lot and then there's a reveal that should change some of the banter but it doesn't and it just makes it... weird.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What if some of these games with Waifu in the title are really good and I'll never know bc I can't stand to see em.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

juicefest posted:

It is until it starts repeating a lot and then there's a reveal that should change some of the banter but it doesn't and it just makes it... weird.

I assume you're referring to how she's his daughter and not his ex? Reframing it really didn't feel weird at all to me, it was just like "oh I misunderstood" moment rather than any sort of "ew oh god what?"

juicefest
Jun 12, 2022

Sab669 posted:

I assume you're referring to how she's his daughter and not his ex? Reframing it really didn't feel weird at all to me, it was just like "oh I misunderstood" moment rather than any sort of "ew oh god what?"

At least when the game first came out, he would still make comments like hoping she'd be in his dreams and other stuff that implies he's attracted to her even after the reveal.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Heran Bago posted:

What if some of these games with Waifu in the title are really good and I'll never know bc I can't stand to see em.

It's a possibility but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Serephina posted:

Yea but I mean, didn't Akrane just finish doing Prey, and more specifically Prey: Mooncrash, which was basically all of that? Certainly the marketing material implied it'd be something along the same vein, that's what I got from it.
Mooncrash is more of a roguelike, not exactly a puzzle game. The completion routes are a bit more open ended than Deathloop, but it also doesn't really have a story or dialogue, so there's no narrative restrictions. I mostly hated it despite considering Prey one of the best games ever made, but that's because I really am not a fan of roguelikes.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

juicefest posted:

At least when the game first came out, he would still make comments like hoping she'd be in his dreams and other stuff that implies he's attracted to her even after the reveal.

I don't remember any specifics of the dialogue but it's really not weird for a parent to want their child to love them again, in a familial way.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I played it at launch and I don't remember any incongruities in the banter after the reveal. And the game made a pretty big point about emphasizing how grossed out Colt was that Julianna let him think that he dated her and that she thought it was funny.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Jack Trades posted:

If you're into turn-based tactics games then don't sleep on Hard West 2, it does some interesting things with it's mechanics and the into fight takes place on hell train that walks like a spider, which is a really cool visual.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1282410/Hard_West_2/

I'd like to echo this.

Cool mechanics:
- It's a western, so you can ricochet bullets on various objects to get enemies behind cover.

- If a character kills an enemy (or one of your own characters!), they immediately get all their AP back. You can do this as much as you want or can per turn, setting up really cool kill chains.
This would seem OP, but considering the number of enemies the game throws at you and the turn limits in many of the missions (sometimes mandatory for main objectives, sometimes to get optional rewards), you need to understand and use this system to the fullest. Beware: This often turns the game into more of a puzzle and/or forces you to play very aggressively.

- a luck bonus you receive when getting hit or missing an attack yourself, so you have a bigger chance to hit next time.

The game is not perfect, but still a lot of fun.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Mozi posted:

Looks like a game called Star Valor came out of Early Access today with good reviews, looks like EV Nova? Anyone tried this?

Haven't tried it but it does look cool, though the galaxy being procedurally generated bums me out a bit and from looking at the forum it seems like a lot of features aren't in yet despite it leaving EA. Like a storyline, for instance. Or a few notable ship classes (fighter, passenger). I put it on my wishlist for now, for me it feels a little too early still. The vast majority of players seem positive about it though.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Deathloop is good.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I played and enjoyed Deathloop. It was fine. People, stop getting mad about videogames, please.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
My radical opinion is that Deathloop and Mooncrash are two very different ways to execute the same concept and both are good in their own way.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/1046790/

Has anyone tried out Eternal Threads ?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
One bad thing about Deathloop is that the solution for each visionary is mostly isolated, there is not much rube goldberg-ish setup to put everyone in the wrong place at the wrong time

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i figure that part of the reason deathloop had a couple of delays is arkane was really wrestling back and forth with the solve a mystery premise and how direct they needed to be with goals. there's a lot of moments where instead of figuring stuff out yourself, the game beats you over the head with waypoints and instructions that seems gruesomely on the nose compared to their other games, and i have to imagine developers behind one-way glass tearing their hair out over playtesters not being able to jump over the tutorial box from cuphead

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cowcaster posted:

there's a lot of moments where instead of figuring stuff out yourself, the game beats you over the head with waypoints and instructions that seems gruesomely on the nose compared to their other games
Dishonored has waypoints for everything, even things you have no in-universe reason to know where they are, so in that regard, I think Deathloop is a step ahead. Of course, in both cases you can turn the waypoints off, so using them is up to you.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Anno posted:

drat that’s a chunky DLC just to show up for $6.

Also maybe announced a sequel?

https://twitter.com/NecroDancerGame/status/1555242521806385152?s=20&t=UzIcAImAEf6lAZl9ryKoLQ
My first reaction to the new DLC was like "wow that's really cool but too bad it wasn't a whole new game after all" so gently caress yeah

Also, compared to the previous DLC the new DLC all seems to be stuff that's intentionally insanely hard to use, lmao. The new characters are just completely nuts.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Gaius Marius posted:

No, everyone should have my opinion

I think Umineko is one of the greatest-of-all-time works of literature, but ALSO I have fun watching my friends play video games. Where does that land me?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

John Lee posted:

I think Umineko is one of the greatest-of-all-time works of literature, but ALSO I have fun watching my friends play video games. Where does that land me?

can someone explain that whole game/franchise/series whatever it is? It's like the 2nd most referenced VN I've ever seen in places that rarely discuss VNs.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Caiysware's Vampire Survivors-like Boneraiser Minions is out in early access:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1944570/Boneraiser_Minions/

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

nice, the demo for Boneraiser was pretty fun and drat, its cheap as hell

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Flimf posted:

Thanks for the heads up on this. That guy’s games are so weird and wonderful for the price.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

For me Dishonored was 'too many goddamn rats simulator 2012'. Some rats are ok but too many rats.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah, the minions are a boneraiser for me too

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Flimf posted:

Dang this is fun so far. I do wish I could scale the UI down a bit, everything's feeling a bit too zoomed in and it's kinda hard to read the menus sometimes. Can't go wrong with this price though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

pentyne posted:

can someone explain that whole game/franchise/series whatever it is? It's like the 2nd most referenced VN I've ever seen in places that rarely discuss VNs.

Umineko? Okay, I'll give you a vague overview, but my spacebar is busted so forgive me if there's a bunch of extraneous spaces in there

So, the series as a whole is When They Cry. Started with Higurashi, then Umineko, then the currently-unfinished Ciconia. They share, depending on your perspective, either very few details and characters or none at all, and are connected more by theme. They're mystery stories of various types, and without getting TOO much into the weeds, serve as both examples of their type and meta-commentary about the genre. Umineko is particular gets a lot of attention because it's, well, very good, but ALSO because it focuses on the classical mystery stories, of the sort popular like a hundred-plus years ago. Essentially and directly puzzles for the reader to solve, Knox's Commandments, etc.. A lot of modern mysteries will have foreshadowing, and then when everything is revealed you might be like "Of course, it all makes sense!" But these old-school mysteries would often just have a big break saying CAN YOU FIGURE OUT THE MYSTERY? BEFORE THE DETECTIVE REVEALS IT, TRY AND FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF, YOU HAVE ALL THE INFORMATION YOU NEED NOW - and that's exactly what Umineko does. It's divided into eight parts, with the first four being 'Question' arcs, and the latter four being 'Answer' arcs. The first four set up a bunch of bizarre mysteries, and the latter make things more and more clear, although each piece is an interesting and dramatic story in its own right.

There is, of course, more to it, but that's the gist of Umineko. Any discussion of what exactly is cool would involve heavy spoilers; if you truly, honestly don't give a poo poo about that because you're resolved to never read it, PM me and I'll tell you some stuff, but a lot of it is the deductive/thematic equivalent of trying to describe a badass action movie scene to a friend, and there's simply not the same sense of revelation or recontextualization just hearing about it.