Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also my GOD this movie was wonderful.

It was so much fun seeing a Predator movie with GADGETS. Seriously the last couple just straight up had nothing new. AvP-R was the last one with anything unique added to the arsenal.

Such a nerdy praise but drat that poo poo made me happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
A note for non US viewer, the Comanche dub is a dedicated extra, not a separate voice in the standard movie(and it's only translating Comanche in English subs, French is wrote down as is, which is weirdly enough more than the stock subs)

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Aug 5, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

That was extremely fun.

Given no other background information, to any extent this predator was lamers than others I was liking to imagine that it might be a kind of "surveyor" predator. It was here to scout out every form of predator on a planet, whether snakes or bears or whatever, maybe as a kind of introductory scan. For it to find something that could actually challenge it seemed to be kind of a thrill for it, but also it may have been slightly "off mission" or just, not a prime example of its species. That's just me making up a theory of course, but it was fun as hell.

e: oh yeah random question, if anyone caught the french: before Naru slaughtered a bunch of French dudes, it looked briefly like one was being told to kill Sarii, the dog, but he responded something like, "mais j'aime le chien," aka "I like the dog." I lost what he said after, but it would be hilarious to me if he was actually refusing to kill the dog because he liked it so much. Either way her slaughtering them was a great out-of-nowhere brutal violence scene where it felt like the predator taught her how to bring that level of violence to those who deserve it.

Martman fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 5, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This predator was not lamers. Lmao. He killed a ton of people but not as much as the Predator 2 predator but more than any other one besides that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

This predator was not lamers. Lmao. He killed a ton of people but not as much as the Predator 2 predator but more than any other one besides that.
In terms of kills sure, but the original movie predators were up against way advanced weaponry. But I guess on the other hand, maybe they were able to use intel gathered from this one even tho it got rekt.

And yes, lamers... I managed to watch this after drunk-watching all of RRR tonight, so I'm just proud of myself. Both were awesome though.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
That was rad as hell.

I honestly think it suffers a little from having seen Predator 1&2, I'd be curious as to what somebody who hasn't seen either thinks.

There where a couple of parts where, knowing the Predators Hunting habits, you know that Naru was not in danger - honestly it seemed for a while the Predator was just super curious about her and was following her around like she was bait for more interesting trophies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Martman posted:

In terms of kills sure, but the original movie predators were up against way advanced weaponry. But I guess on the other hand, maybe they were able to use intel gathered from this one even tho it got rekt.

And yes, lamers... I managed to watch this after drunk-watching all of RRR tonight, so I'm just proud of myself. Both were awesome though.

This is the first time a predator has been on earth. Left to do his thing.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

This is the first time a predator has been on earth. Left to do his thing.

Or it might be that their hunting permit is in line with the available prey.

Muskets being the most advanced projectile weapon means no John Predator, you can't hunt humans with the plasma caster.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think he straight up didn’t expect anything to fire back. But now that yeah, these things do shoot back, they’ll probably pack more high tech weaponry.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I watched Prey when it was on Hulu at midnight.

Sarii is a good dog. :unsmith:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rougey posted:

Muskets being the most advanced projectile weapon means no John Predator, you can't hunt humans with the plasma caster.

That's what I was thinking. This predator had to have handicapped itself, either by hunt protocol or by personal choice.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If I have Hulu with ads, does that mean the movie gets interrupted with ads all over the place?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
This was good. I really hope we get more different time period Predator films.

I'm smarter than a beaver.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

If I have Hulu with ads, does that mean the movie gets interrupted with ads all over the place?

No. You only get a short ~2min barrage of commercials before the movie starts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rougey posted:

Going back to this, I loved that little comedic beat when 3 of the trappers had to stop and reload their muskets after firing on the predator to no effect.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

teagone posted:

No. You only get a short ~2min barrage of commercials before the movie starts.

That’s awesome, I’m glad they didn’t ruin it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Saw it

Predator rules
Lead girl rules
Dog rules

9/10

Honestly for how good this was I wish it was in theaters. I hope the positive press reviews are helping to offset the notion that this must be trash since it went straight to Hulu. Nice to have the bad taste of The Predator washed away. Is this going to eventually be sent to D+ in the US or stay on Hulu? Def want to watch it again in the future but don't really care about keeping Hulu.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I will be severely disappointed if there isn't a line 'get to the choppa' referring to a hatchet that we can see they use.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Comanche dub is live now! :dance:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Martman posted:

e: oh yeah random question, if anyone caught the french: before Naru slaughtered a bunch of French dudes, it looked briefly like one was being told to kill Sarii, the dog, but he responded something like, "mais j'aime le chien," aka "I like the dog." I lost what he said after, but it would be hilarious to me if he was actually refusing to kill the dog because he liked it so much. Either way her slaughtering them was a great out-of-nowhere brutal violence scene where it felt like the predator taught her how to bring that level of violence to those who deserve it.

I saw a fan-translation of the french lines that claim the follow-up was "It tastes better than beaver"

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Rougey posted:

teagone posted:

That's what I was thinking. This predator had to have handicapped itself, either by hunt protocol or by personal choice.

Haven't watched it yet (checking in here for reviews) but this would make sense, it happened in Predators when the predator fights the Yakuza guy - Yakuza only has a sword, IIRC the predator drops all gear except his own blade. It isn't explained whether it's an honor thing or a protocol thing, but the precedent is there.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Haven't watched it yet (checking in here for reviews) but this would make sense, it happened in Predators when the predator fights the Yakuza guy - Yakuza only has a sword, IIRC the predator drops all gear except his own blade. It isn't explained whether it's an honor thing or a protocol thing, but the precedent is there.

This one seemingly had no idea what was on the planet and was just checking out predator species.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Darko posted:

This one seemingly had no idea what was on the planet and was just checking out predator species.

Reading up on some background from the director, apparently it's a juvenile and it was it's first hunt.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I’d like to think we missed some of the more low key hunts.
Like he gets bit by a mosquito and rips it’s tiny little head off while yelling out in triumph.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Yea that was on par with the first for me. Really impressed, I had significant doubts considering everything since 2 plus it being a Hulu exclusive. Easter egg at the end with the name on the pistol . Any others ?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just watched the movie. Non-spoiler review: it's good, I liked it.

It was a slow burn at first but I was largely okay with it. I'm not sure how necessary it was because unlike the slow(ish) burn in 'Predator' before the Predator starts murdering people, that burn is full of the characters interacting with each other and building personalities and relationships. In 'Prey' it was kind of a lot of either the Predator doing random stuff or Naru by herself doing random stuff, and most of Naru's stuff didn't feel super necessary because we got the point pretty quickly that she's capable and innovative. I was hoping we'd get some character development and we got hints of it with the interactions with her brother and mother, but then all of the other characters were nameless, faceless cannon fodder who barely had personalities. Kind of a waste - as all over the place as 'The Predator' was, even that one took the time to have the characters interact with each other and play off each other and even have names.

The Predator was a COLOSSAL badass, when he goes apeshit on the French trappers it was pretty loving bananas.

REALLY not a fan of the Predator's face design. Like I mean I guess you can make the case that Predators don't all look the same (and 'The Predator' even intended to demonstrate that with the two Emissary Predators, who looked pretty different) but the one in this movie just looked.... weird. Like the only thing that made it look like a Predator were the mandibles and the dreadlocks, everything else was different and I don't think it needed to be. Even the Super Predators from 'Predators' looked more in-line with mainline Predators, and they were pretty different.

Not my favorite Predator movie, not better than the first two, I'd probably rank it alongside 'Predators' (caveat: I like 'Prey' and 'Predators' for different reasons, they are very different movies).

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Just saw it, and this was way better than it had any right to be. Good acting, action, special effects, cinematography. I like it just as much as Predator 2 and Predators.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Like others have said I think you have to slot this in right after Predator 2, clearly above Predators and obviously way better than The Predator. And I enjoy Predators but this is a more coherent and satisfying film in a bunch of ways.

It's not perfect, I feel like you could trim some stuff from the first hour and use the time to give the final showdown a bit more time to breathe but it's not a major complaint.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

For me, best Predator movie after the original. 2 isn't far off though.

Loved the call backs. Loved the "If it bleeds, we can kill it"

Really hoping this gets good word of mouth and hype, because I had zero idea this was coming out till a week ago, and I hate feeling like Disney ceremoniously dumped it on Hulu because they don't have any plans for the franchise.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaUJv6w2RM

You can hear their take on the Predator theme clearly in this track. I think it rocks.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Me and my wife just finished it. Great movie, definitely about equal to Predator 2 for me, better than Predators and The Predator.

the pistol was a great callback. I really liked that.

I also liked that they depicted how truly disgusting the Fr*nch are.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I like that the predator was a sort of mix between OG and psycho roided out super predator. The face was an interesting take on the design. I like the risk they took vs trying (and failing miserably like AvP) to redo the original. Actually a lot seemed to take inspiration from the Super Preds. Darker red skin, bigger size, skull bits over the mask, the more guttural roar.

Only goofy looking part was his hands that kinda look like rubber gloves in one scene.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
The bear!

the bear

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Anyone else watch the animation at the end credits for Prey?

They're hosed lol

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Azubah posted:

Anyone else watch the animation at the end credits for Prey?

They're hosed lol

I don't think they are. The predator ships descending on Naru's tribe was probably them coming down to pay tribute, similar to what they did with Danny Glover in Predator 2. i like to think Naru traded in her pistol for a sweet predator spear or something. Then Danny Glover gets the pistol 200+ years later.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

teagone posted:

I don't think they are. The predator ships descending on Naru's tribe was probably them coming down to pay tribute, similar to what they did with Danny Glover in Predator 2. i like to think Naru traded in her pistol for a sweet predator spear or something. Then Danny Glover gets the pistol 200+ years later.

Potentially setting up a sequel where they invite her to go with them on a cool space adventure?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If they finally make some a legit Machiko I’d be stoked as gently caress

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Potentially setting up a sequel where they invite her to go with them on a cool space adventure?

Nah they just want Sarii and Naru tags along :haw: honestly I'm down, Midthunder was loving great in this and I'd love to see more of her in that role.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Rougey posted:

Nah they just want Sarii and Naru tags along :haw: honestly I'm down, Midthunder was loving great in this and I'd love to see more of her in that role.

It'd be interesting if they come back just to exchange weapon insight like they give her a Predator spear in exchange for her giving them the pistol or something. I don't think that would interfere with Predator 1 either because the Predator 1 Dutch's team are clearly people armed to the teeth with a ton of "this only exists to brutally annihilate people" gear so of course the Predator 1 one is going to stay cloaked and use lasers and not even try to observe after the killing starts interact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Prey is phenomenally good about showing rather than telling. When the wind blows her scent towards the bear, or when she's washing the blood off of herself, imagining what it would be like to return home with no news but death, it's superb visual storytelling. You can see many points where a lesser film would insert dialogue to inform the audience.