Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I think ALL of World's End gets ditched.

Even "Cerements"? 'Cause that one sets up the opening of "The Wake", with the Necropolis Litharge, and the ceremonies for the death of one of the Endless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd consider World's End essential, but I suspect Netflix producers would consider it "one entire season with an all new premise and cast and the established main cast only in cameos are you insane".

might work as a one-off movie-length anthology inbetween seasons

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Gotta say, I'm really liking Jenna Coleman's Constantine.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Really enjoyed the first episode (didn't realise this was a DC thing), but why the gently caress did they out a sizzle reel spoiling plot and visuals at the end? I can't recall ever watching a show with "this season on" at the end with a bunch of poo poo from the show. I'm sure it's neither here nor there but I watched the episode, if the episode worked I'm going to watch more.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just watched 4 eps of this and I am loving it. Never read the original and don’t know much about the world but I love angels demon mythology stuff

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

cptn_dr posted:

Yeah, she’s surprisingly good. Everyone and everything in this show seems to be going above and beyond expectations.

Also, they had the random priest be a gender-swapped Ric the Vic. Now that’s a Hellblazer deep dive.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

JBP posted:

(didn't realise this was a DC thing)
The first few sandman comics were wild when they weren't quite secure in being their own thing yet, and the Martian Manhunter just straight up shows up at one point.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Bug Squash posted:

The first few sandman comics were wild when they weren't quite secure in being their own thing yet, and the Martian Manhunter just straight up shows up at one point.

Twice; once at the beginning, and once at the end with Superman and Batman.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
So, it's good then?

Dammit, am I going to have to renew my Netflix subscription after I cancelling it earlier this year...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Does the finished thing still look like it has slime all over the lens?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watched the first four episodes. Enjoying it so far but found the first episode to be a little slow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Watched the first episode figuring that would be enough, ended up going through the first five I enjoyed it so much! :sweatdrop:

I'm sure it's great to be in demand, but I had to laugh thinking about how poor Charles Dance probably gets calls saying,"So we have a character who is a terrible loving father, just the dirt worst, a real piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat prick.... and we immediately thought of you!"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Currently sitting at 88% on RT. Not quite The Bear, but doing well.

Biggest common gripe I've seen from critics is "I've read the comics and it does a great job of adapting the comics but it doesn't transcend the comics" which is....well, OK, it's really hard to just do a good adaptation and I'm fine with it just being a really good adaptation.

The other is "pacing slow" but that's also comics accurate.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 5, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jerusalem posted:

Watched the first episode figuring that would be enough, ended up going through the first five I enjoyed it so much! :sweatdrop:

I'm sure it's great to be in demand, but I had to laugh thinking about how poor Charles Dance probably gets calls saying,"So we have a character who is a terrible loving father, just the dirt worst, a real piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat prick.... and we immediately thought of you!"

You forgot "... and you get ignominiously killed by your younger son who you always hated because he wasn't like your older son who was a military man".

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

cptn_dr posted:

There were some interesting changes from the comic there, primarily not letting her be 110% dirtbag in the same way John Constantine was. Also, some of the blocking and directing choices seemed to be indicating that they want to leave the door open for a possible romance arc. Which I guess could work if you wanted her to replace Thessaly if/when they get around to A Game of You.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I would watch a Johanna Constantine with Jenna spin-off (which according to Neil has been the thing most wanted by fans so far).

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
24 Hours and Sound of her Wings are a one-two punch of some goddamn great television. I knew what was going to happen and I still squirmed a bunch during 24 Hours. Poor Bette.

Every single cast member is giving this their all, but David Thewlis is just loving phenomenal as John Dee. Holy poo poo.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Many tears were shed during Sound of Her Wings, both sad and happy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not immediately convinced by episode 1, I must say. It certainly is strongly simplified, to the point where I can't help but feel it's diminished. Everything that didn't make the TV transition was something unique to Sandman whose absence is felt, and everything they inserted for TV struck me as very standard fantasy drama fare. "Eternal sleep" is just lame compared to the source. We're not getting the whole idea of how monstrous Dream really can be. It would have been such a good scene too. But there certainly is still plenty of stuff that I definitely want to see what they made of it.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Uh, why is Constantine a girl now?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Orc Priest posted:

HBO Max wants to make a Constantine series.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Orc Priest posted:

Adnor posted:

Also Keanu was busy (somewhere in the dreaming library hd-dvd section theres probably a Sandman series with Keanu as Morpheus).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Orc Priest posted:

Because the character's ancestor shows up a couple of times in flashbacks and they decided to just use the same actor for it. (Also because HBO Max is/was working on a regular Constantine series)

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Adnor posted:

Hasn't been cancelled yet? HBO max is no longer making anything.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Collateral posted:

Hasn't been cancelled yet? HBO max is no longer making anything.

Who knows!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Man if only HBO had a history of executives cancelling excellent original series and then coming back and finding out that was a bad idea.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Jaxyon posted:

Man if only HBO had a history of executives cancelling excellent original series and then coming back and finding out that was a bad idea.

This isn't HBO executives doing anything, this is the CEO of Discovery Channel deciding that scripted shows suck, and reality TV is best way to take over the streaming market.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just finished ep1 and this is everything I could want. Loving it and I imagine I'll binge it overnight

And I just finished before listening to the Act 2 of the audiobook. Highly recommend to listen to both. Very well done

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Watched the first three episodes and it's great so far!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Not immediately convinced by episode 1, I must say. It certainly is strongly simplified, to the point where I can't help but feel it's diminished. Everything that didn't make the TV transition was something unique to Sandman whose absence is felt, and everything they inserted for TV struck me as very standard fantasy drama fare. "Eternal sleep" is just lame compared to the source. We're not getting the whole idea of how monstrous Dream really can be. It would have been such a good scene too. But there certainly is still plenty of stuff that I definitely want to see what they made of it.

I think the show changed it because the son character wasn't a complete rear end in a top hat in the show. I'm sure the whole never ending nightmare thing is going to happen at some point in the show, it's such a memorable part of the comic.

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 6, 2022

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

The adaptation of Men Of Good Fortune was perfect. Which is great because that was my favorite story.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
First ep was slow, but well done. This should be good

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Adnor posted:

The adaptation of Men Of Good Fortune was perfect. Which is great because that was my favorite story.

Yea that combined with Sound of Her Wings made episode 6 my favorite of the show.

I think the first half of the series was stronger than the second half (besides episode 6) because those episodes had self contained stories in the scope of the larger story which gave it more momentum and a stronger pace, whereas since 7-10 is just one main story (or rather several interlocking stories) that take place over a few episodes the pace could drag a bit. Though it wasn’t that bad, and pretty inevitable.

Still felt it was an extremely well done adaptation of both books though. Bring on season 2!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Walrus posted:

First ep was slow, but well done. This should be good

:agreed:

I had a lot of mixed feelings about this going in but I was impressed so far, the adaptations they made all make sense and feel very natural. I do notice that they seem to be setting up Dream to be less of a monster going in: Alex did more to deserve his punishment and still got a less harsh punishment. Will be interesting to see how that carries through, threading the needle of Dream's flawed character was one of the things I was most worried about so I think there's room to tone that down a bit without really watering down the story's themes.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

As of episode 4, at least, Dream is an immense rear end in a top hat — the Nada plot seems unchanged. Eternal damnation for your ex because she defied you is a real dick move.
Also in episode 4, David Thewlis is really doing an incredible job as John Dee.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I feel like season 2 could be Season of Mists with Dream Country stories every 2 episodes or so.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Loving Patton as Matthew

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Digital Jedi posted:

Loving Patton as Matthew

I accidentally watched the "coming up this season on Sandman!" at the end of episode 1, which was a terrible idea that showed off way too much, but I have to say that their choice of coverage of Matthew in that had me cringing when he finally showed up, but he was way, way, way better as a character than how they chose to showcase him in that preview.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i like this show

big thumbs up want to go back in time and sit in the goth club again with an ankh around my neck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Episode 6 has definitely been a highlight so far.

Although it does feel like how it is two separate stories that have been crammed together.