Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They all got paid so it’s fine.

And also actors are rich and therefore the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think Liu should have read the room and not made the joke but it's really just using the Batgirl situation to make more of a self-deprecating joke and get in a Christmas pun. I don't see it as malicious or anything towards the WB happenings. Could have easily reworked it and saved it for the holidays.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

I think Liu should have read the room and not made the joke but it's really just using the Batgirl situation to make more of a self-deprecating joke and get in a Christmas pun. I don't see it as malicious or anything towards the WB happenings. Could have easily reworked it and saved it for the holidays.

Heck, save it for when the GOTG holiday thing is out

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1555539236480327681

A source with knowledge of the situation says Hamada was upset at not being consulted and concerned about the impact on those involved in making the film. On Aug. 2, before talent and their representatives had been informed of the decision, the New York Post broke the news that the film had been shelved. The Post reported that the film had low test scores and said a source described it as "irredeemable."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

CelticPredator posted:

It’s not cool these days to make fun of people losing their jobs or getting their work vaulted
Oh loving please. The entirety of both comics fandoms have devolved into rampant gallows humor to deal with these bonkers developments; is everyone in this thread who joked about the situation also being offensive about representation? People who are picking bones with Liu making a tame-rear end tweet about this, as if he's personally laughing in Leslie Grace's face or something, are people who were looking for reasons to pick bones in the first place.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Making Hamada look like a guy with empathy should be your "Are we the baddies?" moment.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Parkingtigers posted:

Dunno who cares for petty online drama, but Simu Liu currently getting dragged by people who see him mocking the demise of the Batgirl movie. It's on the cusp of "it's just a joke, chill out" but also a bit hypocritical because he complained a lot about losing out on roles in the past and the people looking forward to Batgirl were a big overlap with people who thought it was cool to have an Asian superhero led movie.

https://twitter.com/SimuLiu/status/1555419119704571911?s=20&t=J_CUrd_ZuTgoiSEC0RcRcg

I could be wrong but this just reads to me like a joke about the GOTG Holiday Special that has nothing to do with Batgirl

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Barry Convex posted:

I could be wrong but this just reads to me like a joke about the GOTG Holiday Special that has nothing to do with Batgirl

It's a reference to the GOTG holiday special, but the "for quality control concerns" and mentioning that he already had the movie finished when they canned it are definitely allusions to Batgirl.

Not to mention the timing.

It's clearly a joke referencing Batgirl, but not making fun of it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean it clearly is about Batgirl, but also clearly not trying to kick it while it's down or whatever baloney people are thinking.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s funny and people need to relax

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

He did make the mistake of tweeting. And no one should tweet ever. No good will come of it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

lomzus posted:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1555539236480327681

A source with knowledge of the situation says Hamada was upset at not being consulted and concerned about the impact on those involved in making the film. On Aug. 2, before talent and their representatives had been informed of the decision, the New York Post broke the news that the film had been shelved. The Post reported that the film had low test scores and said a source described it as "irredeemable."

I dunno, I'd think after everything with Ray Fisher one thing people wouldn't do is regurgitate articles where it's claimed hamada is the good guy looking out for his actors, without thought

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

To me, the weirdest development coming out of all of this is that HBOMax is getting the axe in favour of Discovery+. It could be that I am completely out of touch, but I can't imagine that Discovery is a stronger brand name than HBO. Even if you are a fan of Discovery programming, I don't think you associate that programming with Discovery as a brand the way people associate Game of Thrones and the like with HBO.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

JordanKai posted:

To me, the weirdest development coming out of all of this is that HBOMax is getting the axe in favour of Discovery+. It could be that I am completely out of touch, but I can't imagine that Discovery is a stronger brand name than HBO. Even if you are a fan of Discovery programming, I don't think you associate that programming with Discovery as a brand the way people associate Game of Thrones and the like with HBO.

At the very least, even they don’t seem to be that naive to believe it. It was stated on the earnings call, whatever comes out next year will be a weird combination of the two, but it will have an entirely new name that, could be Discovery based, but at the moment they’re still fighting over what to call it exactly. The only thing we know is that it’ll be using the Discovery+ UI tech as a base.

(Granted why they don’t just suck it up and just merge the cheaper service into the more expensive one instead of spending a year+ building an entirely new service from the ground up AGAIN I don’t get, but then again, I don’t get any of the decisions they’re making)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

JordanKai posted:

Technically, both of them are getting the axe and being merged in to a new service. Discovery+ and HBOMax are both "dying" in Summer 2023.

They could still keep the HBO branding for the new service. They haven't announced what the new name or price point would be yet.

But, I agree that it seems like a mistake to rebrand to an entirely new service instead of just merging HBOMax and Discovery+.

They already said they are going to raise the price, so maybe they think "$24.99 for new service X" sounds better to people than "We're merging Discovery+ with HBOMax and raising the price of HBOMax"?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 5, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The easiest thing to do would be to move DiSc programming into a Tab or Collection on HBO Max (the way that D+ does with Mahvel or Pixar) and just up the branding and tie-ins on the main landing page (the way that NEtflix showcases what's new or hot as a big-rear end banner).

That's what you do. You merge it so that subs aren't disturbed by wondering if YET ANOTHER loving app will make it to their PS5/WebOS/Tizen/Android/Roku store. Current subs feel like they gained value by having additional programming, even if their Fave Show got the axe.

Maybe in 2 years you "upgrade" and change the name to DiscoveryMAX but keep everything the same or someshit.

God, I know this is a pithy complaint in a world burning to hell but loving dammit HBO Max was a perfect streaming service and I'm just pissed some duckwaf with too much money and not enough sense gets to gut it before he golden parachutes his way to another lucrative failure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Reminder that HBO Max is the merger of HBO and cineMAX, so if that naming convention continues the new service will be called Disco HBO Max+

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Reminder that HBO Max is the merger of HBO and cineMAX, so if that naming convention continues the new service will be called Disco HBO Max+

That is my favorite anime super move.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BrianWilly posted:

Oh loving please. The entirety of both comics fandoms have devolved into rampant gallows humor to deal with these bonkers developments; is everyone in this thread who joked about the situation also being offensive about representation? People who are picking bones with Liu making a tame-rear end tweet about this, as if he's personally laughing in Leslie Grace's face or something, are people who were looking for reasons to pick bones in the first place.
nope because most people in this thread aren’t peers.

Idk why the gently caress you’re talking about representation I’m just saying if you worked on something and this guy is loling about it and he’s your peer that might make you feel pretty lovely.

Like taikia watiti that loving bastard

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

what

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Him making GBS threads on bad effects when the effects artists are treated like poo poo. If you’re an effects artist that poo poo blows.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Since he’s a movie actor and they’re just in some lame streaming movie it’s technically punching down, which is not good.

I have been swayed.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Parkingtigers posted:

Dunno who cares for petty online drama, but Simu Liu currently getting dragged by people who see him mocking the demise of the Batgirl movie. It's on the cusp of "it's just a joke, chill out" but also a bit hypocritical because he complained a lot about losing out on roles in the past and the people looking forward to Batgirl were a big overlap with people who thought it was cool to have an Asian superhero led movie.

https://twitter.com/SimuLiu/status/1555419119704571911?s=20&t=J_CUrd_ZuTgoiSEC0RcRcg

disney has lost like $6 billion on disney+ in 2 years. if the day comes when disney starts pulling back on movies/streaming this guy's poo poo rear end movie will be one of the first to get axed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

poo poo, they only have 800 more.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Liu is an extremely online guy before he's an actor or movie star.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aphrodite posted:

Since he’s a movie actor and they’re just in some lame streaming movie it’s technically punching down, which is not good.

I have been swayed.

I know you’re being snarky and so was I kind of but it really isn’t super cool to do if you’re in the industry.

Mostly because a lot of peoples hard work was shelved, not talking just about the actors here, but everyone from the directors to below the line people too. It’s a job but there’s a reason why people choose to work in the film industry over any other.

I can also see it being frustrating too when you’re also working on some of the films that people have no idea if anyone will ever see them or not. Like Evil Dead Rise, which was supposed to come out on HBOmax this year but who knows right now. Not even the director knows for sure.

So I get why people are frustrated with his tweet. And yeah he’s an extremely online dude and now a huge franchise actor. So he can’t really also play the other side now lol

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This discussion is tedious as gently caress. It should have been pulled from release, even after typing has been completed.

edit: I am truly horrified at liu's tweet, a so-called joke that has devastatingly undermined asian representation in cinema. For this he should be fired

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 5, 2022

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, I'm not gonna drag a guy for making fun of this, because I'm doing it too. But I'm all for chaos and the motion picture industry teetering on the brink. Many chairmen and CEOs are now in the position where they have to wake up every day hoping that today isn't the day that people suddenly lose interest in superheroes, and that's amusing.

My reaction to Batgirl being canned from release is "Flash next pls", because that needs it even more.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 5, 2022

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I know you’re being snarky and so was I kind of but it really isn’t super cool to do if you’re in the industry.

Mostly because a lot of peoples hard work was shelved, not talking just about the actors here, but everyone from the directors to below the line people too. It’s a job but there’s a reason why people choose to work in the film industry over any other.

I can also see it being frustrating too when you’re also working on some of the films that people have no idea if anyone will ever see them or not. Like Evil Dead Rise, which was supposed to come out on HBOmax this year but who knows right now. Not even the director knows for sure.

So I get why people are frustrated with his tweet. And yeah he’s an extremely online dude and now a huge franchise actor. So he can’t really also play the other side now lol
Effing lmao you really actually think Liu is out here taking potshots at the cast and crew of this film. That really was your takeaway here.

This just...falls so squarely into the category of trigger-happy internet users looking to cancel some online personality for something completely innocuous they did, I'm actually surprised that the lack of self-awareness here hasn't leapt out of the monitor to teabag everyone involved.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody in below the line jobs really cares. They got paid, badly, and have no stake in how the movie does financially anyway.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, I'm not gonna drag a guy for making fun of this, because I'm doing it too.
Yeah, but you're likely not the face of a franchise.

It's a bad joke and a decent move would be to just apologize for it and move on. Not the worst thing a dude can tweet out, just tone-deaf.

I mean, dude's not Chris Pratt or anything.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Apologize? to who? For what!?

Like sure it sucks for the Batgirl team that their movie got cancelled in the most absurd way possible, but the idea that fellow actors can't make jokes about how this movie got cancelled in the most absurd way possible without it being a personal attack on its creators is just the internet twisting itself into pretzels again to interpret someone's words in the worst way possible.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BrianWilly posted:

Apologize? to who? For what!?
I mean, just a general "hey maybe this was in bad taste. A lot of uncertainty with projects just wanted to lighten the mood" kind of tweet. No one's asking for total repent and flogging, dude.

Dude knows how bad it sucks when projects get canned. So having someone with the guaranteed Marvel Contract crack wise about it is a little punching down.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Do you get upset when someone says McDonald’s is poo poo because they’re insulting all those poor cashiers? Dude is clearly taking a shot at the bonehead decisions being made by the studio/execs.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This is a lot of people getting upset at a guy for ultimately just making a movie title joke

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's a bad joke because unlike Batgirl no one would care if they cancelled a shang chi project

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

site posted:

It's a bad joke because unlike Batgirl no one would care if they cancelled a shang chi project

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A post so white it came with a country club membership.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't know if you actually saw shang chi but it was pretty meh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Aphrodite posted:

A post so white it came with a country club membership.

Not liking Shang Chi doesn't make you racist lol