Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Nasty Old Randy posted:

Applied for four Linux Sysadmin jobs this week and already got an interview for the one I want the least.
I vaguely remember only asking for 70,000 on the application ( i was drinking) and Its in the most expensive city in my state.
I should definitely use the opportunity to practice interviewing and then politely reject the offer, especially since I could possibly negotiate higher.
...but I could also be a disgusting weirdo and amuse myself greatly.
Its impossible to say which is the best approach.

it's never not possible to negotiate pay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

just pretend you didn't put in 70k. "i hadn't fully investigated CoL in X/evaluated my position in the market/etc"

worst thing that can happen is they don't give you the money

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
sup dude

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

like exactly a year ago when it was job hunting time as a strong backend developer IC, I had competing offers and lots of callbacks

same flow today and I’m getting nothing back and none of my network of dev homies have jobs that are hiring either. either it’s bad luck or things are just saturated right now or I’ve received some horrible curse for shoving that witch aside and ignoring her ill omens

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one of my friends interviewed for google yesterday and they’re still doing that thing where they have you interview with randos and then assigning you to a team after which is baffling. not one question about the role’s domain knowledge. also 2 of the 5 people they were supposed to talk to didn’t show and the recruiter didn’t even respond to queries about these absences until this morning

so more of the same

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

qirex posted:

one of my friends interviewed for google yesterday and they’re still doing that thing where they have you interview with randos and then assigning you to a team after which is baffling. not one question about the role’s domain knowledge. also 2 of the 5 people they were supposed to talk to didn’t show and the recruiter didn’t even respond to queries about these absences until this morning

so more of the same

the recruiter probably hot dropped the interviews into their calendars with less than 24 hours notice and then did nothing when the would-be interviewer declined the invite and dropped them a note that "not only can I not do this interview, I don't even interview in that language"

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

qirex posted:

so more of the same

it's complete bullshit. when i interview with a company i want to meet my prospective boss and the immediate team i am joining. that's like the most important aspect of the job for me to evaluate. the faang interview process divides candidates into two groups: the questionable who they reject, and the desirable who they razzle-dazzle. your decision as a candidate isn't informed at all, you're just blinded by $$$$$

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's not quite that bad. you do get to select what team you go to and have a conversation/s with the various HMs you're choosing between. it just doesn't happen until you've already passed the interview (but before you accept)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I feel like HM02 is the obvious choice, but most YOSPOSters go for HM04.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

CPColin posted:

I feel like HM02 is the obvious choice, but most YOSPOSters go for HM04.

i don't know what this means

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh i googled it it's a pokémon thing lol

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

it's not quite that bad. you do get to select what team you go to and have a conversation/s with the various HMs you're choosing between. it just doesn't happen until you've already passed the interview (but before you accept)

ok but this implies that the interview is still just general abstract nonsense, algorithm puzzles that are predictive of nothing, only demonstrating you can cram leetcode for a few months. completely one-sided hoop-jumping. only afterward, once google deigns to speak to you, can you finally perform the candidate's side of the interview. does this seem at all ridiculous to you or no

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i am totally opposed to the sort of interview process that hires based on "general talent" (as though you have any chance of measuring that) and only then considers team placement. with a recession looming, i think you should be too. if the company is just generally expanding headcount, without particular regard to business needs, then it's just as easy for them to shrink headcount, and layoffs are often last-in-first-out. i much prefer to be hired specifically to do X by a company that needs X and recognizes my talent at X, if possible with a direct link from X to additional revenue

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah sure algorithm stuff is annoying, fine. but that's a very different thing from what you originally said. what you originally said was just flatly incorrect. i tried to be nice about it but 🤷‍♀️

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you do realize that retention and promotion doesn't happen based on algorithms, right? faang hiring practices have no bearing on how secure faang jobs are after you have them

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

how was it incorrect exactly? you think just talking to the hiring manager is an appropriate substitute for actually interviewing with the team?

it's garbage and you know it. there's no reason for you to defend it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

and don't get me loving started on faang retention/promotion practices

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im not defending it. faang hiring sucks. you just don't seem to have your facts straight

if you don't think talking to your manager is helpful i don't know what to tell you. all the ones i talked to offered to set up meetings with coworkers but i didn't take them up on that

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also at amazon i did talk to my potential team, but idk if that was a special case cause it was for a pretty specialized role

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

google promotion is really bad. but i only have promotion experience with three companies

1. "everybody keeps quitting, we don't do titles, but have more money every 9 months or so"
2. "no promotion for you. also i will lie to your face about bringing your promotion request up to the cto"
3. google. it was obnoxious as hell but it was relatively clear cut. i had it much easier than most people though because getting l+1 work is very easy in my team/org which is not at all universally true.

google promo worked well for me but i've seen the failure modes and they're pretty drat awful and make good people leave

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also after inflation and stock going to poo poo i make less than i did last year. i a not happy about it!

it's still more than 3x what i made before though and about 2x what my original google offer was and im full remote now, so i don't really wanna get a new job now that the markets getting weird. but i will if i have to, recruiters are still thirsty a f and im gonna be really unhappy if i don't get fat stacks with my first at-level stock refresh

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

#1 sounds deece enough to me. titles don't translate, every company will level you in their own way, so who cares just get that paper son

sounds like you chose the appropriate paper-getting route for you though! no hostility intended just yosposting :shobon:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah #1 was good i had no complaints whatsoever! but we sold the product we made so the writing was on the wall

mo offense taken and i hope none given!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if you really wanna wind me up we can talk about the 10% gently caress you tax google charged me to leave the bay area (despite not using their free food and real estate and stuff)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Achmed Jones posted:

if you really wanna wind me up we can talk about the 10% gently caress you tax google charged me to leave the bay area (despite not using their free food and real estate and stuff)

The what now?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Quackles posted:

The what now?

i left the bay area and moved to socal to work remote. part of being allowed to do so was a 10% salary cut (moving from 'premium plus' bay area rate to 'premium' rest-of-california rate). at the time, there was no impact to stock grants but people who move now have their (future, not existing) stock grants impacted as well. this probably means that my stock grants will also be decreased going forward, because gently caress the worker that's why, it's not like i can do anything about it other than quit

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

DELETE CASCADE posted:

how was it incorrect exactly? you think just talking to the hiring manager is an appropriate substitute for actually interviewing with the team?

it's garbage and you know it. there's no reason for you to defend it

you do interview with the team. team placement is basically another set of job interviews where you skip the algorithms bullshit because that was covered already, and you can spend up to a year interviewing with different teams until you find one you like. it's the most hilariously drawn out process possible, but if you can afford to talk to a bunch of teams and don't need to start asap it does work to get you into a position that's a good fit.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

distortion park posted:

I currently make in the 110-120k EUR total comp range (in France, but for an international company). I'm aiming to not go down - I don't really dislike where I work, I can coast easily enough, and have too much ego to accept a cut tbh. Sadly there are very few companies that will match that, especially remote. There seems to be a bigger tier of companies paying in the 85-100k range for people at the senior+ level. Best people I spoke to were offering about 115 + 50k real deal equity at senior but they rejected me.

You're France to right? I can share what sort of numbers various companies were giving over dms if you're interested.

e: this looks very useful https://techpays.eu/

yes im in france and thanks for the website and for confirming that im about 20k underpaid at the very least

also working for an intl company

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

managed to secure another on-site with apple. hiring manager hasn’t decided if it will be condensed or not yet.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

have to do a full loop.

don't understand why apple hiring managers don't trust their peers within the same org to have an acceptable hiring criteria. whatever. once more to the zoom on-site poo poo show.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

good luck kd!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

good luck kd!

thank you. i really just want to secure more cash and be done interviewing and kinda driven for apple because of the poo poo show in march. going on 1.5 years since i asked for a promotion. lmao.

had a good onsite with another place today. was asked to add a new feature to the project i did for them. got the functionality working but didn't get to make it look nice.

system design will probably be the killer. if anything.

question was design a feature were you make a web request with some info from your view and can have n challenges of different formats as a response until you get the final response. you never know it's the final response until you get there. i laid out how you would design your response with components and rough coordinates, but said if the components were dynamic and there could be a new type introduced it should just be a webview.

system design questions are hard for me as an ios dev.

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

reminded me at my last job we interviewed for a entry level computer-toucher position and had one candidate who looked pretty decent on paper so we invited him in for first round

was pretty dry of a back-and-forth until we asked the question about hobbies, interests outside of work

dude immediately perks up, goes on an uninterrupted fifteen minute monologue about how he had to reschedule this interview because he just got back from this week long trip by himself to Vegas and how there's all sorts of underground poker games in town, you just got to know the right people oh and there's a button under this mailbox downtown you press and at 7pm on tuesdays it lets the people upstairs know you're there for poker and you can get in

wrt gambing in general I really don't care what you do with your paycheck after it lands in your bank but it felt like this was incredibly problematic behavior

it's incredible what people will offer up as a response to that question

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
cmon man, dont be a narc. that sounds pretty cool, as long as he's not battling an addiction and gambling away money he needs to survive

live and let live

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

did an HR screen last week that asked me basically nothing but basic HR questions except for the usual open ended “would you say you write unit tests? do you know what TDD is? tell me about a time you mentored someone.” all questions I have a ton of multifaceted experience with and a lot of thoughts and examples of

got a very cold automated email saying I wasn’t what they’re looking for! this just happens sometimes and I shouldn’t read into it but usually I can at least talk face to face with an actual IC or eng manager type as a second round. and the HR screen is often just a “is this person totally lost and confused, do you want a totally insane pay range” sniff test

it stings a little because I’m getting very little engagement with cold applications. i might have to scrounge around in the recruiter pile

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Raluek posted:

cmon man, dont be a narc. that sounds pretty cool, as long as he's not battling an addiction and gambling away money he needs to survive

live and let live

normally I’d agree but that person seems in deep lol

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Used to work with a guy who had previously been a semi pro poker player, but switched to software dev because it was less effort/stress. He was a good developer!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

a cyberpunk goose posted:

the HR screen is often just a “ [...] do you want a totally insane pay range” sniff test

could it have been this one? not that your ask was actually insane, but maybe their salary offer expectations are unrealistically low

normally I’d agree but that person seems in deep lol

could be. hanging out in the secret underground sounds pretty cool, but it's probably more involved than that

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Secret poker games are only for people who are cool. This guy probably thought you were cool, turns out he was wrong. Maybe companies really shouldn’t be asking that question if interviewers are going to be so uptight about the response

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

like exactly a year ago when it was job hunting time as a strong backend developer IC, I had competing offers and lots of callbacks

same flow today and I’m getting nothing back and none of my network of dev homies have jobs that are hiring either. either it’s bad luck or things are just saturated right now or I’ve received some horrible curse for shoving that witch aside and ignoring her ill omens

word in startup land is that valuations for Series B+ are dropping to more reasonable numbers

this means that fewer companies are raising and they’re raising less money

if you look at P:E ratios in SaaS for public companies too you’ll see the constriction in available capital and has been for a while.

I’d speculate this is leading to shyness about new reqs. Job postings on indeed indicate a decline since the recent market peak as well.