Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

They're friendly, they helped me out when I was a newbie. We ran around in barely-organized 5-mans and nobody gave a gently caress about anything when things went wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

They're friendly, they helped me out when I was a newbie. We ran around in barely-organized 5-mans and nobody gave a gently caress about anything when things went wrong.

SA Tarkov crew has always been chill every time I've swung in and out. They'll help you or come hang or whatever.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

This happened to me earlier and I think is a good example of the importance of patience in this game. You may need to fast forward through looting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoaOixPPF2k

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...

hello internet posted:

This happened to me earlier and I think is a good example of the importance of patience in this game. You may need to fast forward through looting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoaOixPPF2k

Gotta ask, the volume on that is like *crazy* loud. Is that just the M32s or do you have something else going on there as well?
Think if I played that volume I'd be deaf in a single raid!

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

matryx posted:

Gotta ask, the volume on that is like *crazy* loud. Is that just the M32s or do you have something else going on there as well?
Think if I played that volume I'd be deaf in a single raid!

I use the volume control on my headset that’s independent from the actual source so that could probably have something to do with it

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'll try and get some games later then.

If anyone wants to play 2D, top down, pixelated, single player Tarkov, there is a demo out right now on Steam for ZERO Sievert. It seems pretty cool, but i'm not super far into it. It's only 178mbs and i'm not sure how long the demo lasts.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ShowTime posted:

I'll try and get some games later then.

If anyone wants to play 2D, top down, pixelated, single player Tarkov, there is a demo out right now on Steam for ZERO Sievert. It seems pretty cool, but i'm not super far into it. It's only 178mbs and i'm not sure how long the demo lasts.
I already spotted Killa's helmet and armor in the store screenshots. Did BSG bless this game somehow or is the developer relying on sanctions making a lawsuit too difficult?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

I already spotted Killa's helmet and armor in the store screenshots. Did BSG bless this game somehow or is the developer relying on sanctions making a lawsuit too difficult?

I have no idea but it's literally just Tarkov, pixelated, topdown. Down to the weapons, ammo, screws, bulbs, cans of Tushonka, etc. Even the mods on the weapons. I found a gun with multiple lasers on it.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I get more Stalker than Tarkov out of this. Or at least a blend, but the trailer has a lot of mutants and radiation and anomalies.

Dr. Clockwork fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 4, 2022

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
On a Tarkov note, anyone who was on the fence: the Summer Sale has started. EoD is still Bad With Money Edition but you get like $30 off which is nice.

https://www.escapefromtarkov.com/preorder-page?utm_campaign=summer_2022_en&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=preorder

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ShowTime posted:

Just popping in to say this is really fun so far.

Its very Tarkov+Stalker

If you die you basically go back to just before you left on the raid. You don't lose anything (except whatever you found in raid) which is fine cause everything is quite expensive. Every upgrade scraped and saved for feels significant. My kingdom for a better backpack!

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 5, 2022

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I tried it on my laptop and it runs way too slow to be useable in-raid. How does the movement speed feel? In the bunker it felt glacial.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Feels fine to me and my computer is pretty old. You weren't overweight were you? You move real slow when overweight and can't move at all at about 5? units over.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Feels fine to me and my computer is pretty old. You weren't overweight were you? You move real slow when overweight and can't move at all at about 5? units over.

Nah, just starting the demo. Again, maybe it was bad computer so I'll have to double check when I'm home. Just felt like the default walk speed was extremely slow.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Here is a clip from my last raid. Does the speed look like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt8_IE92VMg

One of my first raids after finally getting some decent class 4 armor (seems to be the stalker suit lol), its done wonders for survivability (you start off with a class 2 vest, basically a PACA). Lots of bandits with PS and HP rounds that the armor is pretty effective against. Mosins and 7.62x39 still hurt though, as well as close range autofire.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Game has flash drives, GOTY.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Is the Rivals armband still worth a ton? I can't check the flea market but the website I checked with flea prices doesn't show it going for more than 20k. Is that because its only up for barters?

I remember it used to be worth a ton, so I found one on a scav in a crate and just booked it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I can't remember if it's a Kappa turn-in. I found one last wipe and just wore it because gently caress doing Collector.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I think it was two patches ago I remember getting both of the THICC cases for it, but not sure if the demand has dropped. Don't see it for the collector on the wiki.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
the armband basically will get you any of the really important keys like Dorms Marked Room or the reserve keys on the flea

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Finally hit 15 and can use the flea market and yea, it trades for some higher tier stuff but nothing i'm using yet. I'll hold it for a month or so then when I start hitting labs, maybe use it for a key or something. It's been my best find so far and i'm good on what I need, other than loving storage.

Speaking of storage. Hitting 15 is a game changer for happiness. I had so much just ready to go for hideout upgrades, quests, flea market, etc. I spent an hour or so just clearing things up. Ended up +2mil with ammo cases, meds case, magazine cases, a docs case and swapping out some old rigs for rigs i'll eventually use. It just feels good clearing up and organizing everything so you can hop between raids compared to just shoving anything worth keeping into an available spot and then searching for what you need from all of whats remaining. I get why the changed the flea market to 20, then 15, but man, it takes some getting used too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Finished the Zero Sievert Demo. Definitely gonna buy that when it comes out. Anyone who likes STALKER and Tarkov and also certain top-down shooter Roguelikes like Enter the Gungeon and Streets of Rage should check it out. Its an excellent take on the STALKER and Tarkov style in a different type of gameplay.

Some random thoughts/tips:

• Don't bother buying guns from the traders, get the workshop and you can eventually fix one you loot in raid, and several of the quests will offer a selection of guns as a reward.
  • It may be tempting to use a looted gun, but the penalty for their low durability (which is usually 25-40%) is pretty stiff.
  • Choose the recycling hideout upgrade for one of your hideout slots and prioritize it alongside the workshop. It makes a big difference in the amount of scrap you get back from scrapping trash guns and ammo.
  • 7.62x39 PS does work, just like Tarkov. Fix yourself up an SKS (or get one as a quest reward eventually) and it'll do great until you can get your hands on an AKM. Alternatively the Nugget is always reliable, though not ideal against mutants/wildlife packs or in close quarters.
  • You're really squishy first, but once you get some decent armor your can survive a lot of fights better. Make sure to keep your armor in good repair.
  • I found it more cost effective to just pay for armor repairs as it seemed to take significant amounts of weapon scrap to repair even modest armor damage.
  • Weight capacity sucks at first, backpack upgrades are a top priority, and once you get your stamina skill up I highly suggest the Mule specialization for the extra carry capacity.
  • Once you get a decent carry weight, always try to grab an extra gun to take out of the raid with you, preferably one with attachments, as those can sell for a decent amount (or be useful upgrades) and you can scrap the gun for weapon parts to fix your poo poo up.
  • Sniping is surprisingly viable, and much like Tarkov carrying a sidearm as backup can help if you have to go into cramped areas, the APS is surprisingly good despite using 9x18.
  • Much like Tarkov get stash upgrades ASAP.
  • A lot of the loot is kinda useless, for the demo at least. Have a rough idea of what you need for your hideout upgrades and otherwise just grab valuable loot.
  • Valuable loot includes obvious stuff like Watches, chains, cigarettes, and the crystals from anomaly fields. However there is some other stuff that is surprisingly valuable, such as Alenka Chocolate (not the generic ones), bottles of coke, and gameboys/playstations (these are extremely valuable!).
  • Keep an ear out for the sound of a jet plane. If you hear that check your map shortly after for an air drop marker. It'll have a crate full of goodies ranging from guns (in perfect condition), attachments, ammo, and food. They seem to either attract or generate random hostiles though, so be careful.
  • Don't pick medical recipe books as quest rewards, they were the only ones I ever found in raid. (and honestly after a while I was getting so much medical stuff as loot I never felt the need to craft advanced medical stuff).
  • Go for ammunition books IMO, I never found any and was stuck with HP ammo as the only thing I could craft, meaning I pretty much bought all my ammo.
  • The barman's ammo selection kinda sucks, basically nothing but Hollowpoints and other civilian grade stuff. Once you get access to the Green Army trader you can get PS rounds.
  • When it comes to other humans its more Tarkov than Stalker, the "Loners" in the raid are not friendly and will still shoot your rear end if they see you, so shoot first. Same goes for the Green Army guys, you may be working for their boss but they'll still try to kill you in raid. This might change if you're wearing a Green Army armor suit. I don't know, I stuck to the Totally Not a Sunrise suit Barman sells.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 6, 2022

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I didn't realize just how hard it was to get good armor with the new flea market system. I'm glad i've been keeping all the armors/rigs I found leveling up to 15 because it turns out, there aren't many options available on the flea anymore.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ShowTime posted:

I didn't realize just how hard it was to get good armor with the new flea market system. I'm glad i've been keeping all the armors/rigs I found leveling up to 15 because it turns out, there aren't many options available on the flea anymore.
Armor definitely got hit the worst. You can craft most of the nastiest ammo apart from M855A1, but at least that's available from traders if you can make LL4. Armor is basically paying out the nose for a HIGHCOM or bartering from Ragman.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea i'm starting to learn more about the new barters. I remembered some of them and have been keeping what I remember. I've gotten really lucky with the HIGHCOM armors and the various armored rigs. Scaving Reserve has kept me pretty geared up. I tend to find a bunch of armors and rigs in the various crates, so I just do a quick few minute run of those and bounce with what I find. That or stumbling upon the remains of a raider wipe and picking up whats left.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Ragman barters are where the value is in higher quality gear. They've unfortunately hit a few of them with added items/quantity that have become much worse value, but thats the place to go for gear that's better than t4 now. Maybe they're more expensive, but its not like you can get them off flea anymore.

slashtom
Jan 5, 2012
VeteranX
What if you run out of money by constantly dying as PMC, is SCAV the mechanism to get you back in?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

slashtom posted:

What if you run out of money by constantly dying as PMC, is SCAV the mechanism to get you back in?
Yes. Scav-only for a day or so to get back onto your feet.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

If you actually dip below a certain threshold of money, prapor will send you an in game care package with some stuff, too.

slashtom
Jan 5, 2012
VeteranX
Getting my feet wet with the cycle and I definitely enjoy the adrenalin rush these games give. I find myself doing offline raids in tarkov because I’m just too afraid to do online. I think not having an in game map is probably the hardest thing. I have map genie open but even in offline I can’t figure where I am at relative to the offline map.

Ty !

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Embrace death. Die and die again. It is the only way.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Don't get the Woods love. You guys all playing at night or in groups or something?

I love woods because of the atmosphere. There are other maps that may be objectively better but there's something about backpacking through the woods, but with guns, that triggers a special place.

That and just the other night I did a hatchet run at around dawn in the rain. I scrambled around looking for the aircraft wreckage and jager's note only to be greeted by a braindead scav calling me something nasty/to his friends in russian. I bounded up towards him tree by tree, counting his shots as I went along. On the 5th or 6th shot I bolted from my cover right up into his face and cheesed his rear end with circle strafing and frantic hacking with my hatchet. After a final shot rang out from the scav, either loaded in the frenzy or just his final shot in the gun, I managed to land a 4th hit right on the base of his noggin. Took everything he had, which included a gun and started scrambling again. I knew he had a buddy nearby and didn't want to underestimate the AI. I had a sense I was being stalked anyway and typically this sense does not betray me.

I found jager's note after a round of very tactical movements checking corners, my back and being aware of my own path. Immediately I did a sweep of the area to find the buddy of the scav I had hacked earlier. I found him, or rather he found me. After hearing what he had to say I doubled back and made straight for my exit path. This particular one is a quick run to outskirts but leaves you very exposed half the time. Thank god the sun was only halfway up and it was pouring rain, else I would have died. Sweeping and moving quickly and carefully towards my exfil I had the spidey sense tingle a few times. Always using the sprint key to relocate behind some kind of concealment or cover, putting it between me and where I felt a threat coming.

After a bit of a frantic yet still relaxing walk through the rain I made it to the exfil. I just held my breathe and dove into the zone, hoping for more rain and no one with a thermal scope 1k away just waiting for someone like me to show up. The timer ran down and my head was still attatched to my body.

I think the point is that Woods is the most peaceful Tarkov map there is. The lack of dilapidated and ruined civilization on the map helps ascetically as well. Sure there are bunkers, checkpoint and a few forts, footholds of humanity. But the map is dominated by unspoiled wilderness, also people who play this game can be really antisocial so a lack of human presence probably caters to their tastes.

Edit: I'm having trouble finding a casual group. Level headed peeps, 420 friendly to a point... That sort of thing. My bag is leveling till I get the Flea market then just goofing off or helping other people out with their quests.
I'm wondering about the goon discord. Possibly other groups.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 8, 2022

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

slashtom posted:

Getting my feet wet with the cycle and I definitely enjoy the adrenalin rush these games give. I find myself doing offline raids in tarkov because I’m just too afraid to do online. I think not having an in game map is probably the hardest thing. I have map genie open but even in offline I can’t figure where I am at relative to the offline map.

Ty !

Beware that Customs and Reserve are inverted N-S, but after a few runs you won't need the compass anyway.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Is the Tarkov discord authbot broken? I never got any message with a code to put in my SA profile or anything

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

AHH F/UGH posted:

Is the Tarkov discord authbot broken? I never got any message with a code to put in my SA profile or anything

Yeah, apparently the guy who was running it got banned from Discord, lol

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

NeoSeeker posted:

I love woods because of the atmosphere. There are other maps that may be objectively better but there's something about backpacking through the woods, but with guns, that triggers a special place.

That and just the other night I did a hatchet run at around dawn in the rain. I scrambled around looking for the aircraft wreckage and jager's note only to be greeted by a braindead scav calling me something nasty/to his friends in russian. I bounded up towards him tree by tree, counting his shots as I went along. On the 5th or 6th shot I bolted from my cover right up into his face and cheesed his rear end with circle strafing and frantic hacking with my hatchet. After a final shot rang out from the scav, either loaded in the frenzy or just his final shot in the gun, I managed to land a 4th hit right on the base of his noggin. Took everything he had, which included a gun and started scrambling again. I knew he had a buddy nearby and didn't want to underestimate the AI. I had a sense I was being stalked anyway and typically this sense does not betray me.

I found jager's note after a round of very tactical movements checking corners, my back and being aware of my own path. Immediately I did a sweep of the area to find the buddy of the scav I had hacked earlier. I found him, or rather he found me. After hearing what he had to say I doubled back and made straight for my exit path. This particular one is a quick run to outskirts but leaves you very exposed half the time. Thank god the sun was only halfway up and it was pouring rain, else I would have died. Sweeping and moving quickly and carefully towards my exfil I had the spidey sense tingle a few times. Always using the sprint key to relocate behind some kind of concealment or cover, putting it between me and where I felt a threat coming.

After a bit of a frantic yet still relaxing walk through the rain I made it to the exfil. I just held my breathe and dove into the zone, hoping for more rain and no one with a thermal scope 1k away just waiting for someone like me to show up. The timer ran down and my head was still attatched to my body.

I think the point is that Woods is the most peaceful Tarkov map there is. The lack of dilapidated and ruined civilization on the map helps ascetically as well. Sure there are bunkers, checkpoint and a few forts, footholds of humanity. But the map is dominated by unspoiled wilderness, also people who play this game can be really antisocial so a lack of human presence probably caters to their tastes.

Edit: I'm having trouble finding a casual group. Level headed peeps, 420 friendly to a point... That sort of thing. My bag is leveling till I get the Flea market then just goofing off or helping other people out with their quests.
I'm wondering about the goon discord. Possibly other groups.

You can hit me up on Discord, we are probably very close to level/quests/gears/etc. I'm on the goon Discord as ShowTime, and even if i'm offline, i'm likely online. I'm always set to hidden.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Zipperelli. posted:

Yeah, apparently the guy who was running it got banned from Discord, lol

Is there someone who can do it manually now?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
lol the bot's broke, rest in pepperonis

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So is the Discord just dead? Where are people hanging out to do raids together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
This is the Discord: https://discord.gg/fxvqwE6

It is linked in the OP and a few posts later by Haki. Lots of activity and chatter there - very helpful members and people that are probably happy to help you shoot things.