Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It’s nothing like what you want but I have a hard plastic swiss cheese that has 2 mice that boop in and out of the holes that you can set to turn on for 15 minutes every two hours for 6 hours.

Except if it gets flipped on its side, the mouse trying to come out of the hole gets blocked and the motor makes the wailing sound of a thousand demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

It’s nothing like what you want but I have a hard plastic swiss cheese that has 2 mice that boop in and out of the holes that you can set to turn on for 15 minutes every two hours for 6 hours.

Except if it gets flipped on its side, the mouse trying to come out of the hole gets blocked and the motor makes the wailing sound of a thousand demons.

Yeah I got that one too. Latte is mildly interested for a bit but even as random as it is, the motion isn’t exciting enough for her and she wanders off pretty fast. I need something that can zoom around.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Allegedly there's a cat in this picture.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I was so confused for a second, I thought that was a photo of a covered-up urinal.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Got a hot new recipe for a mixed bean salad:

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Trebuchet King posted:

Got a hot new recipe for a mixed bean salad:

Love those smiles :kimchi:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I have a new roommate so the cats are understandably anxious. One hides in the bathroom sink cabinet because she is boring, but the other will burrow deep into my blankets and peek out when he thinks it’s safe:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Ferdie's been in a cattery for a week, we picked him up yesterday afternoon and the staff said he did great, was eating well and acting friendly and relaxed. He's been understandably clingy since he got home but he's worrying me by refusing to eat. He's drinking fine and has had some treats and a small amount of dry food. He also hasn't peed or pooped yet and has been sleeping a lot. When he's awake he's been playing and exploring and getting his scent back on everything. He's been home about 20 hours.

I know he's stressed and anxious and needs to settle back in, but I'm worried that if this continues tomorrow I won't be able to get him to see a vet (Sundays suck). I've plugged the feliway diffuser in this morning and his food is there if he wants it. I topped his breakfast with a churu puree treat this morning and he just licked it off and didn't eat any of the food :( It's my first experience with this. Any advice, reassurance? How long until this becomes a problem?

The cattery sent us the most Ferdie photo

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
One of my cats gets these rough-sounding coughing fits occasionally - not every day, but maybe once a week or so. She also snores quite often. This has happened since I adopted her and I think it got better after I got an air purifier to get rid of the dust from the litter. Where does this fall on the spectrum between "take her to vet immediately" and "normal cat things"?

Also the same cat has some visible dandruff when I brush her, mostly on her lower back that she can't groom herself. Is there anything that I should do to treat it?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
One of the three cats I borrowed last week absolutely will not go back in the carrier. He's hissing and growling and literally running up the walls to get away.

Any ideas for how I can lure him into the cat carrier in the next 12 hours? I've moved his dry food into the back of the carrier and covered it with a blanket so hopefully it feels more like a secure space.

The other two got in the carrier with some encouragement and have gone back to their home, and the tiny 24inch x 18inch cage that their owners keep them in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Covering the cat's eyes as you wrangle it into the crate may help. It might also get you torn to shreds if it detects your subterfuge and figures out what's going on. It sounds like the cat is basically feral so this might not work out for you. But I've had luck with it in the past on reluctant kitties.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm half-resigned to bleeding heavily. I'm the girl digging out my thick sweaters and gloves in the height of summer!

One of the reasons I feel so stressed about this, apart from not wanting to scare the cat, is because I know that the owner will absolutely reject any concerns about their cats' welfare if they have to help me get their hissing cat back into the carrier.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Obfuscation posted:

One of my cats gets these rough-sounding coughing fits occasionally - not every day, but maybe once a week or so. She also snores quite often. This has happened since I adopted her and I think it got better after I got an air purifier to get rid of the dust from the litter. Where does this fall on the spectrum between "take her to vet immediately" and "normal cat things"?

Also the same cat has some visible dandruff when I brush her, mostly on her lower back that she can't groom herself. Is there anything that I should do to treat it?

I'd definitely bring it up with the vet the next time you go, coughing is not normal for cats. But if she's been like that for a while and it's not getting worse it's probably not super urgent. Could be something like asthma or a chronic infection.

For dandruff, it can sometimes help to change her food (if she'll accept it). My cat doesn't have dandruff most of the time, but had extreme dandruff when I gave her different food for a while. She also gets it when I brush her too much, so if you've been applying the furminator daily maybe lay off on that. But some cats just have dandruff, just like some humans.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I have bought a feral cat trap. It seems ridiculous considering the cat is in my spare room, but there's no other way.

Let's hope the owner is understanding and the delivery is swift.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I have a hell of a time getting the cats into carriers if the carrier is in a wide open room they feel like they have a chance at escape. Putting the carrier in the bathroom, walking in with the cat and closing the door they feel like they've been got and just go in without fuss. My cats are comparatively teddy bears otherwise so YMMV.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I can't get near him to pick him up! He's very bouncy and runs everywhere except into the carrier. After a couple of failed attempts he's even more wary, so either his owner is going to have to pick him up, or I use the cat trap (when it arrives). Let's hope the trap is sturdy because he is going to go absolutely ballistic.

It's a tiny bit embarrassing, but then I remind myself that the owners had no embarrassment about the condition they keep the cats in.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Found this kitten outside an abandoned church in Mexico. Fostering him until I can get him to a family relation in the US a couple months from now. Just wanted to share.

Extremely friendly so we think it was abandoned and not feral. Been doing some harness training which is going okay. Named him Judas Thaddeus for the patron saint of desperate causes.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Lady Demelza posted:

One of the three cats I borrowed last week absolutely will not go back in the carrier. He's hissing and growling and literally running up the walls to get away.

Any ideas for how I can lure him into the cat carrier in the next 12 hours? I've moved his dry food into the back of the carrier and covered it with a blanket so hopefully it feels more like a secure space.

The other two got in the carrier with some encouragement and have gone back to their home, and the tiny 24inch x 18inch cage that their owners keep them in.

A bit late to the party now that you've bought a cat trap, but just switching from a hard plastic front-loading carrier to a cloth duffel bag-like top-loading carrier was a miracle for me. My kitty will actually go nap in the new carrier a few times a week.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Hello Sailor posted:

A bit late to the party now that you've bought a cat trap, but just switching from a hard plastic front-loading carrier to a cloth duffel bag-like top-loading carrier was a miracle for me. My kitty will actually go nap in the new carrier a few times a week.

That's still useful to know, thank you, as I need to get a slightly smaller carrier.

The cat was successfully trapped and taken home, only for me to discover the owners had decided to extend their holiday. It looks like I'm on catsitting duty for another week.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I hope you are getting compensated appropriately for dealing with that poo poo

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

explosivo posted:

I hope you are getting compensated appropriately for dealing with that poo poo

They said they'd bought me a little gift. I'd prefer it if they'd sent me money to buy more cat food and litter because they only had enough in for a week.

I do not understand some people.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

creepin n rollin

respect to my cat for immediately disabling another $200 glucose sensor as soon as we got home from the vet

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

HazCat posted:

I have a cat wheel, and the trick to getting Pan to use it was getting her to hang out around and on it, then getting to the point where she would sit on it without immediately jumping off, then getting her to take a few steps at a time on it to get use to it moving, then encouraging her to walk on it to reach my hand for pats, which then unlocked The Secret Of The Wheel for her and she started using it even without me there to encourage her. Basically I'd say the stages are 'make cat not afraid to be near wheel > make cat not afraid to be on wheel > make cat not afraid of wheel moving > help cat realise they can control the wheel's movement'.

Pan doesn't care enough about food or toys to be motivated by them, so I just gave her positive attention for each stage of progress. If your cat is food motivated I could definitely see the same process working, but with 'treats for being near wheel > treats for sitting on wheel > treats for small steps on wheel > walking on wheel to reach treats'.

It took maybe 2-2.5 months from introduction to Pan's first time using it alone. Now she uses it multiple times a day and has worked her way up to sprinting on it at full speed (though 90% of the time she spends on it she just walks sedately).

I have it set up near my balcony door, so she can yell at birds and passing strangers while she exercises :3:

Thanks for this it's going OK so far.
They haven't really walked on it yet but I've been bribing them with those go-gurt like cat treat tubes and they've both got in the wheel and sat on it.
I got Fyodor to take a few steps by holding his brush up so he would walk towards it to brush his face.
Tried using the laser pointer but that didn't really interest them.

This one we got is a one fast cat wheel too. I don't think I'd ever pay the full price for one but for free it's worth it to try.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah we've been getting Quill on our wheel, she'll actually hop on it now and then and just do like 4 seconds of it at a mild pace and then sit/lay on it and swing back and forth a few times which I guess is fun for her. It's right outside one of the bathrooms, kinda across the hallway from the door and if she follows you to the bathroom she'll often sit in the wheel.

If I shine a laser pointer kinda up the wall of the wheel she'll immediately start 'chasing' it but is still learning how to stay actually on the wheel and not have a foot fall off, which is a little concerning for me because I don't want anything getting pinched, although I suppose that hasn't happened yet.

So I guess she's not scared of it but also she doesn't really see the point of it as an activity that is fun to do. If she doesn't start to use it more I may put it by the window so she can walk and enjoy the view.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Took my tuxedo to the vet after skipping out for a few years. She turbo hates it and starts trying to punch the vet techs through the carrier as soon as they enter the exam room, so her visits have a 100+$ line item for sedation so she can be examined :argh:

Everything with the exam itself came back fine, eyes, ears, teeth etc all good. There's just one problem... Cat 2 Fat:

https://i.imgur.com/QVqQGGT.mp4

She was 14lbs about 2 years ago and as of yesterday is up to 17 :btroll: So I find myself in the market for some different dry food that might help with that. I have 2 cats so an autofeeder would be tricky, and I'd like to avoid needing to be home at certain times to feed them both manually so keeping my current gravity feeder would be ideal.

What I really want is some dry food that's lower in calories, maybe with some extra fiber to compensate? Something so she could eat the same amount but still lose a few pounds. Right now they get a mix of various Blue Buffalo Indoor Adult flavors and maybe a bag of Sensitive Stomach when the tortoise shell is feeling particularly barfy.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I have cats now

they’re still small

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm nearly out of Nature's Miracle, and
I remember people here saying it's been reformulated and doesn't work anymore. What recommended brand is a better alternative?

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 11, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

MisterMax Anti-Icky-Poo.

How do I train my subconscious that it is okay to roll over in the night, even if it wakes up a sleeping cat?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

MisterMax Anti-Icky-Poo.

How do I train my subconscious that it is okay to roll over in the night, even if it wakes up a sleeping cat?

It is not okay.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I remember people here saying it's been reformulated and doesn't work anymore. What recommended brand is a better alternative?

Bissel has some comparable enzymatic cleaners, if that's what you mean.

Relatedly, any recommendations for UV flashlights? I got this one, which is as bright as advertised, but it seemed better at showing vomit stains than urine (yes, I wish I didn't have to hunt for either) and it wasn't that cheap either.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 11, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It works fine for us. I hadn't heard about any reformulation.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Wolfgang has been eating less and less of his dinner (but still polishing off his breakfast), so just to be sure I took him to the vet. We've just got back.

He is in 100% perfect health! Organs all healthy, ideal kitty body shape and weight, coat is perfect. For a nearly 11 year old he's in fantastic shape :D

Basically my instructions are to keep an eye on his weight to see if it decreases, and if it doesn't there's nothing to worry about.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Deteriorata posted:

It works fine for us. I hadn't heard about any reformulation.

I've not noticed a reduction in effectiveness but the new bottles are EXTREMELY perfumed and treating anything with it makes the house stink artificial potpourri for days.

I switched to something called scout's honor and it just smells mildly like windex and works so far.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I just got two kittens from the shelter and they're very sweet. However one of them confuses me. She's a ragdoll and growls and hisses at toys as she plays with them. I can't tell if she actually is enjoying herself or not.

Examples: she's got a toy mouse. She flings and bats it around, all the while growling. Or if I take out a feathery thing on a string and rod, she'll hiss at it but then play with it and growl when she catches it.

Is this normal behavior?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not common but I have seen it happen, they outgrow it. I assume it's an overactive imagination pretending the toy is an invader that must be subdued.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Yeah I think some aggressive behavior towards a "prey" toy like a fuzzy stuffed mouse that they are pretending to kill is normal.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Ok, that's reassuring. Thank you

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best is when a kitten has a toy they've decided is prey and another kitten (and sometimes a human) gets too close. They get super growly and defensive like their treasure is gonna get stolen.

It takes a few weeks for them to realize that they will always have a full tummy and no one is trying to deprive them. It makes sense, they're all instinct at that point and it takes time to learn how their world functions. But it's also cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Yeah the funny thing about kittens is that they're much dumber and more sociopathic than adult cats but we just don't care because they're cute and tiny. Though I guess that's true for human children too.