Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i’m not even specifically chasing a blue album thing— i’ve heard a specific sort of frequency push through different guitars with JB’s in them, through different amps.

one time at guitar center i played an EOB strat through a marshall DSL40CR, and that got me there. i also played one of faust’s guitars with a JB through his insane modeling setup that got it as well.

i’m happy with the tones i’m getting these days anyway so it’s not too big of a deal but it’s not It

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

They're a very weird rhythm, it's in 3/4 but each of those beats is divided into triplets, it's kind of a shuffled shuffle.

yeah, i think of it as "swing 8ths in 3/4". since the vocal rhythm is the same it's not TOO bad

here it is: Dig A Pony

here's what i tried to get a better "timefeel"
  • playing with metronome
  • playing with metronome, clicks only on 1
  • changing up the strumming rhythm to emphasize the "lilting" feel
  • click on 1, no guitar, singing the song normally
  • click on 1, no guitar, singing quietly
  • click on 1, hearing the song mentally, while taking long deep breaths
also, i finally had to admit that the standard key is too high for me. tuned down to Eb and that helped a lot!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I can’t get Pat’s emo song out of my head. What has he done?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lumpy posted:

I can’t get Pat’s emo song out of my head. What has he done?

the simple plan is complete, albeit with no Warped Tour to achieve proper hot tub status

we’re all mad in here now

mad this summer

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I've moved on from being mad this summer to being sad this summer. Soon I will accept this summer.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I've moved on from being mad this summer to being sad this summer. Soon I will accept this summer.

fool. that’s when you become insane this summer, even on a saturday night

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I only go insane in Saturday nioghts though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Me, I'm crying on a Saturday night

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
the relative silence of this thread would suggest that they’re not about it

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Agreed posted:

It's cool, I actually would like to form a ska band with you now that I know you are serious about your particular trumpet

You could also teach me how to play a trumpet, which as I understand it from expertise gleaned from hearsay in these recent posts, would allow you to write off that trumpet. :kiddo:

then I could bring the freaks out to the floor whenever I wanted...

I am intrigued. Though I haven't practiced regularly in several years, because I want to wait until I have a better horn before I start practicing again.

I need a job so I can make money to buy an instrument, but I also go to the gym 4 days a week, and I have this home improvement project I'm working on that's eating up a big chunk of my days and it keeps getting longer and more expensive the more work I do on it, and there's just not enough hours in the day for me to do all the stuff I wanna do right now and it's driving me insane. Doesn't help that I have ADHD and takes me longer than anyone else to do pretty much anything and I can't ever seem to get fast enough no matter what I do.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 4, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Have you tried setting it to Wumbo?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I am intrigued. Though I haven't practiced regularly in several years, because I want to wait until I have a better horn before I start practicing again.

I need a job so I can make money to buy an instrument, but I also go to the gym 4 days a week, and I have this home improvement project I'm working on that's eating up a big chunk of my days and it keeps getting longer and more expensive the more work I do on it, and there's just not enough hours in the day for me to do all the stuff I wanna do right now and it's driving me insane. Doesn't help that I have ADHD and takes me longer than anyone else to do pretty much anything and I can't ever seem to get fast enough no matter what I do.

Take care of yourself. We will be here when you are ready.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I. M. Gei posted:

Keep a positive mental attitude, and I have no doubt that your trumpet playing will be sublime once more! :haw:

Seriously though your dedication is admirable, I am getting my gym membership back soon after ditching it last year when I got COVID after going back for one week. Man gently caress I can't live in fear of this god drat stupid virus forever, I need the iron!! Don't get me wrong, I've been getting stronger at home with handstand pushups, lots of decline pushups, pullups, and kettle bell work - I added a 48KG a couple months ago and holy poo poo - but I miss the cardio and I've gained like 10lb this summer because after I lift all that crap I get really hungry, I'm JUST BULKING OK, but I used to balance the weight lifting with high intensity cardio and longer bike sessions and the lack of balance there is affecting my fuckin' figure, friends

Do not sweat ADHD, I'm a fellow ADHDer and it's ok to be yourself and have a bunch of projects juggling at once and and what was I going to post again?

Edit: I rejoined my gym TODAY and I'm going RIGHT NOW thanks to your inspiration! God I hope I don't get covid again

Agreed fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 5, 2022

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
revstars are super cool I've been thinking about one of those or a weird squier

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The Fear posted:

revstars are super cool I've been thinking about one of those or a weird squier

Yes. Get both.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
not sure who's into em here but i have two extra spirit box transcription books from sheet happens if anyone wants em

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've been messing around with my old 7 string I got back from my brother, and set it up in Drop A. I've been enjoying doing these meaty chords on the bottom 3 strings, from lowest note to highest for example D-A-E which are frets 5-5-7. What kind of chord would this be? On a standard tuned guitar, the way I play them, they are usually just inverted power chords. However with that string dropped down, it's basically stacked fifths. The way I tend to play them inside my riffs, it still sounds inverted like that middle note is still the root, so would it just be an A sus 4 chord?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Moved into a new place over the weekend and finally have enough space to display more than 2 guitars at once. Still waiting on a console table and playing chair to be delivered but its nice getting to see the collection instead of them stuffed in cases inside of a closet.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I've been messing around with my old 7 string I got back from my brother, and set it up in Drop A. I've been enjoying doing these meaty chords on the bottom 3 strings, from lowest note to highest for example D-A-E which are frets 5-5-7. What kind of chord would this be? On a standard tuned guitar, the way I play them, they are usually just inverted power chords. However with that string dropped down, it's basically stacked fifths. The way I tend to play them inside my riffs, it still sounds inverted like that middle note is still the root, so would it just be an A sus 4 chord?

it's an add9 chord which is the crux of like 10 million bands. I could genuinely point to about 30 songs off the top of my head that just slide that chord around for their riffs

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Specifically D5add9, since it doesn't have a third, right?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's generally called a sus2 in guitar, and in broader music theory (not necessarily guitar chord names which are kind of their own bubble) the idea being that the E is held over from the previous chord.

I'd probably call it a Dadd9 with the idea that maybe something's filling in the third elsewhere in the harmonic structure of the song, but technically D A E would generally be called a Dsus2.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
As I understand it:

Csus2 (replaces the 3rd with the 2nd, wants to resolve up, C D G)

Cadd9 (just stacks the 9th over the triad, C E G D)

C9 (an extension of the dom7, C E Bb D, sometimes with the 5th in there, too)

Cmaj9 (an extension of the maj7, C E B D, sometimes with the 5th)

e: for fixing an error.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 5, 2022

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

muike posted:

not sure who's into em here but i have two extra spirit box transcription books from sheet happens if anyone wants em

I would love one.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ok I'm gonna go on a weird tangent about more traditional western music theory and how we apply theory to rock guitar.

Technically yes, a D and an A played together is a D5. When you're playing guitar in a rock band and using distortion it's probably not going to come across as a D and an A making a chord together, it's going to sound like a thick rear end D note, the base frequency of the A is already an overtone you're hearing in the D*, so really you're playing up the complex relationship between the D overtones and the overtones from the A and smooshing them up and getting this kinda beastly tone. When you're playing a fast power chord riff the harmonic structure under that is probably much less complex, it might even really just be a single chord with the power chords over it being a kind of ostinato. You can use major barre chords for the same purpose, essentially just making it a real think and funky series of overtones.

From that perspective, and if you're playing it with goodly amounts of distortion, I'd probably say the D A E chord is really just a thickboi D note with some real rough edges, rather than a Dsus2 or a D9 with an implied third or whatever. That's all going to be dependent on the context of what everything else is doing though, so just saying D A E is (chord) is not always how it shakes out.

*edit okay really the base frequency of the a is an octave down from the overtone in the d, the first harmonic of the a is there though and like my point still stands

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

it's going to sound like a thick rear end D note, the base frequency of the A is already an overtone you're hearing in the D*, so really you're playing up the complex relationship between the D overtones and the overtones from the A and smooshing them up and getting this kinda beastly tone.
I think you just explained why I had trouble deciding if Dopethrone was just unison notes or 5 chords. I still don't know but to be fair I haven't tuned a guitar down to try it.

Thank you for reminding me of Dopethrone! This is going to improve my night considerably.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rWsvW14u9o

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it's mostly single notes but the FZ2/SF300 has some real nasty octave-ish poo poo that kicks in sometimes and I think that's what's happening here.

Everyone buy an SF300, it's this album in a box.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I stopped listening to gnr when I got into slayer and friends but my guitar teacher has me learning November Rain and it's nice. slash is p good imho

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it's mostly single notes but the FZ2/SF300 has some real nasty octave-ish poo poo that kicks in sometimes and I think that's what's happening here.

Everyone buy an SF300, it's this album in a box.

Done. Also, get a Dano French Toast and you've covered like 80% of the fuzz sounds you want.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Lumpy posted:

I would love one.

dm me

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:goofy: I need to learn how chords work

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

From that perspective, and if you're playing it with goodly amounts of distortion, I'd probably say the D A E chord is really just a thickboi D note with some real rough edges, rather than a Dsus2 or a D9 with an implied third or whatever. That's all going to be dependent on the context of what everything else is doing though, so just saying D A E is (chord) is not always how it shakes out.

Describing distorted D A E as a "thickboi D note" is a really fun perspective.

Thanks for the words.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Baron von Eevl posted:

Ok I'm gonna go on a weird tangent about more traditional western music theory and how we apply theory to rock guitar.

Technically yes, a D and an A played together is a D5. When you're playing guitar in a rock band and using distortion it's probably not going to come across as a D and an A making a chord together, it's going to sound like a thick rear end D note, the base frequency of the A is already an overtone you're hearing in the D*, so really you're playing up the complex relationship between the D overtones and the overtones from the A and smooshing them up and getting this kinda beastly tone. When you're playing a fast power chord riff the harmonic structure under that is probably much less complex, it might even really just be a single chord with the power chords over it being a kind of ostinato. You can use major barre chords for the same purpose, essentially just making it a real think and funky series of overtones.

*edit okay really the base frequency of the a is an octave down from the overtone in the d, the first harmonic of the a is there though and like my point still stands

This is a good post! :tipshat:

I really wanna get a Helix and I’ve saved the money. However I don’t really wanna play full price. Any tips or tactics for getting a discount on gear from your local shop? They had it for like 20% off a couple of months ago so I know they discount it some times.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Huxley posted:

As I understand it:

Csus2 (replaces the 3rd with the 2nd, wants to resolve up, C D G)

Cadd9 (just stacks the 9th over the triad, C E G D)

C9 (an extension of the maj7, C E B D, sometimes with the 5th in there, too)

One minor correction - C9 would be an extension of the dominant 7 (C E Bb D), which you see all over the place in James Brown songs, to give a single example. Cmaj9 would be C E B D. Like you said, 5ths can be there or not.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Leck posted:

One minor correction - C9 would be an extension of the dominant 7 (C E Bb D), which you see all over the place in James Brown songs, to give a single example. Cmaj9 would be C E B D. Like you said, 5ths can be there or not.

This is, of course, 100% correct and if I'd thought an extra second about the shapes for C9 and Cmaj9 I would have caught myself.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Red_Fred posted:

I really wanna get a Helix and I’ve saved the money. However I don’t really wanna play full price. Any tips or tactics for getting a discount on gear from your local shop? They had it for like 20% off a couple of months ago so I know they discount it some times.

I'd say keep an eye on reverb. Anything that's been on there more than a few weeks make an offer at where you're comfortable paying and you can generally get a decent discount.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

:golfclap:

nice performance. the song isn't my thing, but you're my favorite guitarist / singer in this thread, mr dent!

this one has nice dynamics, but you have the rhythm guitar playing eighth notes the whole time! I know this type of playing is a style of rock guitar, but i wanna hear more variety in the rhythm part, like you did in your "new style" recording https://vocaroo.com/1wjD0BMJeQdL

Regarding that older recording: i think you said you voiced all the guitar chords kind of low so that you could get on top of it with your voice. But i think it would be interesting to hear what the guitar part sounds like in a higher register. Can you tell me which chord shapes you used on this one, so i can try to play it? Any more "new style" recordings like this one?

landgrabber posted:

every time i post about adventures in music theory or composition on guitar or something, no one responds.

regarding music theory chat: its easier for me to understand when you record examples of what you're talking about, otherwise about all i can say is "it's cool that you're learning things and enjoying the instrument"

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

The Fear posted:

I stopped listening to gnr when I got into slayer and friends but my guitar teacher has me learning November Rain and it's nice. slash is p good imho

November Rain and Estranged are both fun to play (or hack away at), though neither my guitar nor my fingers have enough sustain in them to really hit what's going on.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Helianthus Annuus posted:

this one has nice dynamics, but you have the rhythm guitar playing eighth notes the whole time! I know this type of playing is a style of rock guitar, but i wanna hear more variety in the rhythm part, like you did in your "new style" recording https://vocaroo.com/1wjD0BMJeQdL

yeah, i wasn't taking it super seriously, because it was written as a gimmick song. my friend joked that i should write a song about posting, and i thought it would actually work-- i could write lyrics about the weird ways people act on the internet, the way they're weirdly confrontational, because i thought that was funny. i was thinking about a song called ***BNB by jeff rosenstock when i wrote it -- essentially talking about the weirdos that own airbnbs. first two lines are "sam, you're mom has secretly been renting out your home. i used your shower sponge when you went to spain alone."

so i wanted it to be similarly goofy, slightly silly, like the way that song sounds, so i could write misanthropic lyrics. that's also why it's structurally so simple, and it's under two minutes -- i think a song like that has to stay short.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Regarding that older recording: i think you said you voiced all the guitar chords kind of low so that you could get on top of it with your voice. But i think it would be interesting to hear what the guitar part sounds like in a higher register. Can you tell me which chord shapes you used on this one, so i can try to play it? Any more "new style" recordings like this one?

i wasn't yet thinking about my vocal range while writing the one you're talking about, i was just writing whatever i wanted to. and honestly, i'm kind of too particular while writing to change the song for the sake of my voice. each key and chord voicing sounds really distinct to my ears, in terms of emotion/feeling, so that wins.

i was tuned to Eb, specifically so i could play in B positioning. the verse part is me kind of noodling with the power chord extensions i like -- i can tell you there's a Bsus2 shape there, and that shape that's like a power chord, but you use your middle finger to fret the 7th, instead of using your pinky to hit the octave above the 5th. i think i also kept the 1 and the 5 but used my pinky to hit the 6th underneath it -- the G# on the low e string.

everything else is really just pretty standard barre chords. at least, ones that i've been playing for a long time -- basic major and minor barres with the roots on the low e string and a string, just with major or minor 7s. there may have been a 9 or something in there, but i kind of doubt it, because for whatever reason, those chord shapes still haven't sunken in for me yet, and i remember writing this fairly quickly.

honestly i don't really know what i was talking about by describing it as "My New Style", because i don't force myself to do anything. sometimes the bell rings in my head where i go "i should play guitar", and more often than not, a song ends up coming out of it. i don't even consciously think about it anymore actually, beyond just writing the progressions with an idea of what section they'll be, and writing them down in my notebook. all my articulation about writing and everything comes after the fact-- i don't think very hard when i'm initially writing, and that's partially why i like it so much-- it gets my stupid loving brain to shut up for an hour or two

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Red_Fred posted:

That's how I got my first JEM. If it's been sitting on the floor a long time just go in and make an offer. At some point they've written the thing off already and just want it gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Red_Fred posted:

Walk in, say “when are you going to discount that again, because I’ll come in and buy one”. It may turn our that it just so happens they were going to discount it again tomorrow, but they’ll give it to you today. Then again they may be moving them like hot cakes and you’ll have to wait a while.