Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Got Nation because the last few posts, my first new Pratchett book since his death (GNU Terry), and was teary-eyed two goddam pages in. So thank you thread. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I hope you have more tissues, because Nation is heartwrenching in places

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Alhazred posted:

Emilia Clarke truly is the best actor of her generation.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They try and keep Munya Chawawa from treading the boards for a reason.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fat Samurai posted:

Got Nation because the last few posts, my first new Pratchett book since his death (GNU Terry), and was teary-eyed two goddam pages in. So thank you thread. :mad:

Nation is, imo, the best thing pTerry wrote. It’s beautiful and sad and hopeful and funny and harrowing.

The scene where Mau dissociates on the beach is so very good.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I need to pick Nation back up - I got fairly far into it on a flight but my dad-duties on the vacation kept me from continuing on.

Also had a realization while telling our dog she couldn't have any of the meatloaf we made because it has onions and other stuff in it. The chef in Making Money having a violent reaction whenever he hears a certain word was initially just funny to me (dogs wouldn't like spicy food after all). But it makes sense because dogs can't eat garlic, per-

Nom d'une bouilloire!

Bugger.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Are there any Terry Pratchett books about thieves/the thieves Guild?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

neurotech posted:

Nope.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

neurotech posted:

None of the novels, no, but the 2002 Discworld Diary was a Thieves Guild one, providing a fair bit of background.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

There's a bit about the thieves guild in Thief of Time, but I wouldn't really call it a thieves guild novel.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I think most of the action in the Thieves Guild proper was Carrot arresting the Guildmaster.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Anyone else doing the Discworld Convention in Birmingham in a couple of weeks? I forgot I bought a ticket way back in 2019 for the 2020 one, which rolled over and over, and now I guess I’m actually going.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

neurotech posted:

there was but it got stolen

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The_Doctor posted:

Anyone else doing the Discworld Convention in Birmingham in a couple of weeks? I forgot I bought a ticket way back in 2019 for the 2020 one, which rolled over and over, and now I guess I’m actually going.

Unfortunately I couldn't get hold of one, or I would have. I had to miss 2018 because a work colleague was getting married and there was no cover, so there's people I haven't seen in six years now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I won’t have seen a lot of people in either 20 years, or at least since the AFP Terry memorial meetup in London.

On the “plus side”, I have covid right now, so I can worry a little less during the con itself.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Gnome de plume posted:

:perfect:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I won’t have seen a lot of people in either 20 years, or at least since the AFP Terry memorial meetup in London.

I was at that - I happened to be in town to see The Who after the gig was postponed.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Gnome de plume posted:

I hope they got a receipt.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I had only heard of Terry Pratchett through this forum and just finished reading Small Gods because it was recommended as a good standalone. I went in blind with no clues as to even basics like genre or anything. I’m not sure it was for me, but I’m not sure it wasn’t, either. I have never read very much fiction. I think I will read back through recommendations and pms to see where to go from here

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

freeedr posted:

I have never read very much fiction.

:stare:

Pratchett not actually a great place to start, because he constantly drops references to other pieces of fiction (like, say, Shakespeare)

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

freeedr posted:

I have never read very much fiction.

How came you to start exploring it more?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Kesper North posted:

:stare:

Pratchett not actually a great place to start, because he constantly drops references to other pieces of fiction (like, say, Shakespeare)

well, I meant after school. I read a lot of classical fiction for school, but that was 30+ years ago. Shakespeare, poe, dickens, Twain, etc. I read Frankenstein and Dracula. I actually think that was one small area that my lovely school system in Texas those decades ago didn’t fail.

ovenboy posted:

How came you to start exploring it more?

Because people on this forum have mentioned Pratchett in passing a bunch over the years and even though I don’t read a lot of fiction I find it to be very culturally valuable and just altogether a good thing. I also love the way some of the discussions about it in this very thread seem to go.

Small Gods was written really well. I’m starting to think maybe I’ll just go whole hog and blast through two or three dísc world books and see how I’m getting on

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Truth and Going Postal are both excellent stand-alone books, probably two of my favorites.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

YggiDee posted:

The Truth and Going Postal are both excellent stand-alone books, probably two of my favorites.

I think they're worth reading later though, after Anhk-Morepork has been developed in more detail.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
They're the ones I started with and it worked pretty well

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

freeedr posted:

well, I meant after school. I read a lot of classical fiction for school, but that was 30+ years ago. Shakespeare, poe, dickens, Twain, etc. I read Frankenstein and Dracula. I actually think that was one small area that my lovely school system in Texas those decades ago didn’t fail.

Because people on this forum have mentioned Pratchett in passing a bunch over the years and even though I don’t read a lot of fiction I find it to be very culturally valuable and just altogether a good thing. I also love the way some of the discussions about it in this very thread seem to go.

Small Gods was written really well. I’m starting to think maybe I’ll just go whole hog and blast through two or three dísc world books and see how I’m getting on

Cool! I took it to mean that you hadn't read any fiction barely at all. I started with Men At Arms, and then explored from there according to what was available at my little library. I think most people generally just stumble in, and it seems to work out! Was there anything that you especially liked/disliked or was intrigued by in Small Gods?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

freeedr posted:

Try Guards! Guards! or Mort as your next step. Maybe Wyrd Sisters if you’re familiar with Shakespeare at all. They’re all the start of some of the various series that make up the greater Discworld range.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

freeedr posted:

I had only heard of Terry Pratchett through this forum and just finished reading Small Gods because it was recommended as a good standalone. I went in blind with no clues as to even basics like genre or anything. I’m not sure it was for me, but I’m not sure it wasn’t, either. I have never read very much fiction. I think I will read back through recommendations and pms to see where to go from here

Someone got me to read Small Gods years ago as my first one and I too bounced off of it a little bit. Without having a sense of Pratchett's overall sense of humour and the wider setting the jabs at religion and philosophy felt pretty shallow. Years later I read The Fifth Elephant and Carpe Jugulum and enjoyed them much more, and then I went back to the beginning (and Small Gods was much better on the second read). Imo Wyrd Sisters is the best place to start, though you probably wouldn't go wrong with Lords and Ladies. Why yes, the witches are my favourite.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
There are as many recommendations for first as there are books, though some are more common than others.

I started on Men at Arms because that's what my Pennsylvania village anglophile english teacher had. She thought I would like it having read through all of hhgtg.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

There are as many recommendations for first as there are books, though some are more common than others.

I started on Men at Arms because that's what my Pennsylvania village anglophile english teacher had. She thought I would like it having read through all of hhgtg.

The Colour of Magic used to carry the tagline "Jerome K Jerome meets Douglas Adams (with a touch of Peter Pan)". That was what intrigued us to try it, in those halcyon days when there were only two Discworld books.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I started off with The Truth and enjoyed it greatly. Going to Colour of Magic afterwards was quite the shock though.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Publication order or gtfo

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I read Reaper Man first, then a bunch of the earlier books in basically random order based on when I found them and the first on publication book I picked up was Interesting Times.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The first two books bear little to no resemblance to what it evolves into. I don't know if I would have kept reading. Probably, because I was starved for content, but not certainly.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Beachcomber posted:

The first two books bear little to no resemblance to what it evolves into. I don't know if I would have kept reading. Probably, because I was starved for content, but not certainly.

Ehh, the word play is the same, the world is a little more zany and technicolor, and the fantasy parody is broader but it's still very recognisable.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the first few books really just lean a lot more heavily on the comedy/parody elements without really having as prominent an emotional core as later entries like guards! guards!, which might make some readers bounce off if they start there

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Doing the needful because somebody has to:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I barely see them mentioned, but I think the "Science of Discword" books are probably some of my favorite Pratchett stuff, just because I enjoy both halves and I'm not honestly sure if I prefer Pratchett's side about the Unseen University wizards being a gaggle of barely functioning idiots who pull through or Cohen and Stewarts half musing about related science topics in a very easy to digest pop-science way more. I definitely prefer the approach later Wizard stuff took to focusing on the misadventures of a dozen or so UU head men over Rincewind, with Rincewind more the put upon schmuck they drag behind them than focusing solely on Rincewind as the earlier Wizarding books did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Even Terry said don’t start with Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic.