Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Be thankful that you don't have manually adjusting drums on the front.

My '79 RX-7 had manually adjusted rear drums. Surprised the hell out of me.
*Had*. I gave it rear discs years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I have rear drums in my Mazda2. Someday I'll upgrade to the Fiesta ST discs all around, but with the upgrade I did to the fronts already it's not really necessary. I can already do a stoppie.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have rear drums in my Mazda2. Someday I'll upgrade to the Fiesta ST discs all around, but with the upgrade I did to the fronts already it's not really necessary. I can already do a stoppie.

I want to see that.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

No you can't. Not without video proof.

please

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vb1JGXo-30

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Jeep owner... Sounds 'bout right.

If the carbon monoxide doesn't kill you, your own stupidity will.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Darchangel posted:

I want to see that.

It's...not as impressive as you might think. Just a little chattering from the front wheels under abs, rears pick up just an inch or so. I reinstalled the back seat and it helped a little.

To be clear, stoppies are a suboptimal condition in your daily driver.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

StormDrain posted:

The last set I did I abandoned my fancy brake tools for putting the springs back on, vice grips were a lot faster and seemed safer too.

Same here. I find it is much less frustrating and far more controllable, I've never even come close to slipping with videos grips. I think I threw my brake spring pliers out in like 2013.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's...not as impressive as you might think. Just a little chattering from the front wheels under abs, rears pick up just an inch or so. I reinstalled the back seat and it helped a little.

To be clear, stoppies are a suboptimal condition in your daily driver.

So not as exciting as this?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZITRDLQrAM

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

StormDrain posted:

The last set I did I abandoned my fancy brake tools for putting the springs back on, vice grips were a lot faster and seemed safer too.

I bought a spring tool from Amazon but it was garbage. A pair of vice grips also worked a lot better for me as well, both for the big metal Chevy spring and the self adjuster spring.

I used one of my wife's COVID face shields from teaching when I put the small springs back on cuz I like my teeth though.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
The last time I tried using one of those brake tools, it was like it was made of pewter and bent then ate poo poo hard when I tried pulling a spring

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Darchangel posted:

Drum brakes are adequate. Just too many moving parts in there for what they do.
As far as I can tell, the only reason anyone uses them is that they're somehow cheaper - I guess the parking brake part? - than disc brakes, and the fact that in certain use cases, you can get more brake in the same rim by widening the shoe and drum, whereas more brake in discs might require a larger diameter wheel.
Literally everything else, discs do better. Self adjusting, wet performance, repeated stop performance (cooling). Oh, I guess drums are less drag since they can be adjusted to fully retract from the braking surface while discs still make a little contact...

EVs sometimes use drum brakes in the rear cause you tend to use the brakes less and use regen to brake. And drum brakes supposedly hold up better when only used lightly?
EVs based on Volkswagens MEB platform even have sealed rear drum brakes.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Good things about drums:

cheap to manufacture
generally can make it past the warranty period before needing service (prevents customer requests for replacement under warranty)
cheapest way to implement parking brake

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

The only drum-specific tool I've used is the vaguely bent steel rod with a pocket at one end and a cup at the other, but it's the same one we used when I was 15 and looks basically new. Fur the thumb-sized springs to hold the shoes against the plate needle nose pliers are fine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Shai-Hulud posted:

EVs sometimes use drum brakes in the rear cause you tend to use the brakes less and use regen to brake. And drum brakes supposedly hold up better when only used lightly?

Supposedly. Less chance of seizing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Shai-Hulud posted:

I want to see this poo poo just to satisfy my curiosity. Honestly, it sounds kinda neat, especially since most of the braking on a day-to-day basis should be done by regeneration instead of friction.

I wouldn't be surprised if the other trick they get away with here is lower rolling resistance by having the shoes sitting further away from the drum than would be typical. There's not much you could do with a disc / caliper setup to hold the pads completely off the rotor, but it seems like it might be viable with a drum brake built to accommodate it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The "drum brake = less rolling resistance" thing is an old drag-racing trick for maximum performance. They'd stick with factory 4-wheel drums because of it, at least until things got fast enough that the whole "more stopping" thing that discs tend to be better at means more.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
here's a video of how my friend starts her 2017 Hyundai Elantra after it was stolen.

https://imgur.com/a/43M2Pr7

Edit: the USB charger was actually left in her car by the thieves. She put it on her key chain so she could start her car.

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 5, 2022

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Darchangel posted:

..whereas more brake in discs might require a larger diameter wheel.

Unless you're Audi!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

NoWake posted:

Unless you're Audi!

Ah, the UFO rotors.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'm afraid to ask.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

SEKCobra posted:

I'm afraid to ask.

The limiting factor with the size of the rotor for a given wheel size is the thickness of the upper part of the caliper as it sits on the outside of the rotor.

The UFO inverts this so the caliper sits from the inside allowing you a few more mm of rotor for a given wheel size.

It's a neat solution in a theoretical sense of min/maxing things but oh so terrible to service and complicated to manufacture, so yes very German.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Bajaha posted:

The limiting factor with the size of the rotor for a given wheel size is the thickness of the upper part of the caliper as it sits on the outside of the rotor.

The UFO inverts this so the caliper sits from the inside allowing you a few more mm of rotor for a given wheel size.

It's a neat solution in a theoretical sense of min/maxing things but oh so terrible to service and complicated to manufacture, so yes very German.

And also from what I'd read, these rotors were very prone to warping during daily driving as the increased amount of metal (compared to a standard rotor) led to a large differential in cooling when held clamped hot at stoplights and such. Said to work great on a track, though.

`Nemesis posted:

here's a video of how my friend starts her 2017 Hyundai Elantra after it was stolen.

Edit: the USB charger was actually left in her car by the thieves. She put it on her key chain so she could start her car.

So when I initially heard of USB drives being used to start Hyundais, I thought they had some sort of programming to interface with the car's CPU that allowed it to bypass the immobilizer and steering lock. No, this is just so much simpler and absolutely stupid. It doesn't look like there's any security at all. The opening of the USB drive just happens to be the right size to manipulate the switch, and it's something a random car thief is gonna have in their pocket. You could do the same drat thing with needle-nose pliers.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

NoWake posted:

Unless you're Audi!

Can I please have excessive unsprung weight? Thanks, Audi.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bajaha posted:

Ah, the Buell solution!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That's uh a solution to a specific problem I guess. How does that work in practice?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

`Nemesis posted:

Personally, I'd use a thumb drive - more key-like :haw:
Actually, I'd, you know, replace the lock cylinder...

NoWake posted:

Unless you're Audi!

So very... German. Anyone else would just put a larger wheel on.

Safety Dance posted:

Ah, the Buell solution!

Actually makes sense in that application, though.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Darchangel posted:

So very... German. Anyone else would just put a larger wheel on.

Audi wanted to use 15" wheels, and this was when 17" wheels were considered outrageously big.

I had forgotten all about these, time to find a used rotor to use as garage art.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

No. 6 posted:

Can I please have excessive unsprung weight? Thanks, Audi.

Just move them inboard, like the 100.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Computer viking posted:

That's uh a solution to a specific problem I guess. How does that work in practice?

It doesn't. Both implementations shown warp rotors like all gently caress.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, if you could source one in this hellworld.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Bajaha posted:

It combines the best features of drums and disks by putting all the swept area at the maximum radius instead of just the outermost edge of the rotor, and also clamping the rotor between two pads instead of just pushing shoes outward so less issues with the drum/disk just flexing away from the friction material, but they sucked when it came to cooling and warped easily and yeah expensive and hard to make.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Darchangel posted:

the problem is getting one, which takes months

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’m not sure that that is covered by the lemon law. :imunfunny:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

NoWake posted:

Unless you're Audi!

You haven't lived until you've had to change a flat on an isolated country road at night on an Audi with one of these. I personally invented new 4 letter words in this pursuit.

0/5 would not recommend.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Goober Peas posted:

You haven't lived until you've had to change a flat on an isolated country road at night on an Audi with one of these. I personally invented new 4 letter words in this pursuit.

0/5 would not recommend.

audi's have shank lugs too dont they?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Large Testicles posted:

audi's have shank lugs too dont they?

No they have bolt style.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

NoWake posted:

Unless you're Audi!

I'm not mechanically inclined, but this just looks like disc brakes with extra steps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g2s_xX3nmw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

I was just commenting to my wife that you almost never see Hummers on the road anymore. Used to be that every other car was an H2 it seemed like, now I see one and its a rare moment.

Were they just hideously unreliable in addition to being gas hogs and ugly?