Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Seeing as the wonderful sprites posted so far both resulted from simple two-word requests, I'm reeeally starting to regret that paragraph I sent in... :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

megane posted:

After working on DCSS and basically agreeing with both sides of the tiles vs. ASCII debate, my goal with Qud was to try and split the difference and make a tileset that retained at least a little of the clarity of ASCII.

the tiles are so, so clean. it makes me want a little test screen where I can go and walk around idk a field with all the artifacts or all the implants lying on the ground

I've really enjoyed the look of the Yd Freehold, the updated Omonporch, and Ezra... maybe I need to pick up the pace and actually go see what the Tomb looks like.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
does the game support a square tileset / font? i remember asking about this eons ago but it was barely out of its console window incarnation at the time

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

does the game support a square tileset / font? i remember asking about this eons ago but it was barely out of its console window incarnation at the time

Yeah it's moddable via display.txt to handle any size in theory.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

awesome, thanks

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Also how are folks inserting their fancy custom sprites into the game

how mod qud halp

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
babby's first swarm rack with suspensors OwO

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

prisoner of waffles posted:

babby's first swarm rack with suspensors OwO

The real challenge is keeping it fed with missiles and providing yourself enough blast protection to not get obliterated.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Does anyone actually take evil twin and have a plan to live

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Mzbundifund posted:

Does anyone actually take evil twin and have a plan to live

I don't think the twin follows you out of a room, so you just add a note in your journal never to go to that room again whenever you get that evil twin feeling.

Or actually, once you level up some, you can go back and beat up your lower level twins with ease.

Idk if it actually works this way but I think it might

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

SpaceDrake posted:

The real challenge is keeping it fed with missiles and providing yourself enough blast protection to not get obliterated.

I think that this is a perfectly legitimate reason to play roleplay mode: so that I can see what happens when I activate temporal fugue around enemies while equipped with a fully loaded swarm rack lol

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Put on the fume flyer if they dont share a slot and or rocket skates before too just for maximum chaos

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

SpaceDrake posted:

Also how are folks inserting their fancy custom sprites into the game

how mod qud halp

You make a very simple mod that adds a wish, switching the current player tile to your custom tile. The wiki has pretty good instructions.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Mithross posted:

You make a very simple mod that adds a wish, switching the current player tile to your custom tile. The wiki has pretty good instructions.

Oh wow, that *is* pretty complete. Nice of the wiki crew to put that together.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

SpaceDrake posted:

re: feeding- some of the turrets that dynamic turret tinkers make drop 10x chem cells so I’ve got 120 or more 1 bits, that’s more full refills of a swarm rack than I foresee myself using.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i cannot for the life of me to get my custom tile to work :/

e: thanks to the awesome discord we got it working!

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 5, 2022

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
HAHAHA

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
oh poo poo that rocks

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Again, Megane thank you so much. What a cute little birthday present :3:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
if anyone else gets a custom tile post them here

see if i cant figure out how to get a lil group picture done in game <3

also Mithross i'd love to know what your tile "is"

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

From reading on the wiki, the idea is to either use it as a truecolor import, or you gotta define its palette in the mod.

Either way, glad you got it working. That's the best birfdei present imaginable, oh my god :3:

(Please tell me you're going like maximum mind magic on that character)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

SpaceDrake posted:

From reading on the wiki, the idea is to either use it as a truecolor import, or you gotta define its palette in the mod.

Either way, glad you got it working. That's the best birfdei present imaginable, oh my god :3:

(Please tell me you're going like maximum mind magic on that character)

i was going to run her with my fav FULL COMBAT NOW melee build but its been awhile since i did a TRUE esper build

I'd love to see the evil twin pop up lmao

i got a recolor mod by someone in discord so imma use that
i lucked out for that screen cuz i picked the starry eyed premade which had the colors already set up for me

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

verbal enema posted:

if anyone else gets a custom tile post them here

Megane was kind enough to make my requested tile despite it being a wall of text compared to everyone else's!

It's the Fuming God-Child True Kin caste, but as a recycling-suit-clad martial artist:

(In-game appearance)

('true colors', for the game's internal use)

I'm absolutely delighted. :love:

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

verbal enema posted:

also Mithross i'd love to know what your tile "is"

My actual request was for a priest of ibul, but hooded and blue. I explained I wanted what amounted to a floating robe, to keep any character I played accurate-ish. And not at all because I wanted to be able to pretend any espers I played were wizards...

I got a much more custom floating robe that is amazing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I feel like I'm watching an artist get dogpiled in realtime here, I hope they're getting paid.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Serephina posted:

I feel like I'm watching an artist get dogpiled in realtime here, I hope they're getting paid.

Speaking of: Megane, do you have a Ko-fi account or something similar? :)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Gniwu posted:

Speaking of: Megane, do you have a Ko-fi account or something similar? :)

I am absolutely willing to coffee the poo poo out of Megane for my slightly elaborate tile request. :v:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Ambiguous tiles that can plausibly work for multiple characters? Pft. I got a tile for one specific build:

I'll do a full writeup of the build after work, it's a fun one. Thanks again Megane, this is incredibly cool.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Just wanted to echo earlier statements about how cool it is to see your very own sprite appear in the live game!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Gniwu posted:

Just wanted to echo earlier statements about how cool it is to see your very own sprite appear in the live game!

your sprite really makes me want to learn how to mod in a literal martial arts tree

weapons would be handwraps/ fighting gloves etc have a stun/ throw/ place swap/ multi hit perhaps a block that doesn't shield from full damage but some but happens much more often who knows!

maybe have the last skill be an energy blast

also yeah it kicks turbo rear end!!!!

e: rework slam for the tree so you can kick someone through walls

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Alright, here's one of my favorite builds. It started with some idle thoughts about getting a bunch of natural armaments at once, but it ended up coalescing together into a build that fits together really well both thematically and mechanically

Basically just a dragon

code:
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
Workshop link

Mutations:
  • Horns
  • Carapace
  • Burrowing Claws
  • Wings
  • Double-muscled
  • Hooks for feet
Custom Sprite! (usage instructions here)

The basic concept is a bulky melee character with lots of natural equipment. Also, a dragon. The pros are that you're incredibly strong, even in the early game - you'll start out at level 1 with 10 penetration on your attacks! That's already mid to lategame levels of penetration, and it's only going up from there. You also don't really care about getting good gear - you'll be growing stuff better than any shop can sell you. All you need is exp and you're set.

The cons are that you're very hungry for mutation points. You definitely can't afford to be learning new mutations midgame. Skillpoints are also pretty tight, so it pays to know where you can use the water ritual to learn good skills.

The heart of the build is the fact that natural weapons have no penetration cap. Penetration rises with your strength, but with normal weapons you'll eventually hit a point where the weapon itself is holding you back, and you just can't hit any harder. With natural weapons, the only limit is yourself. We'll be going all in on strength to make the most of all our natural weapons. Double-muscled is required to hit Maximum Strength. It also adds a chance to daze the enemy on hit, which is pretty effective on this build - we'll be making more attacks per round than you might expect. Horns take up the head slot; high level horns are already one of the best weapons and best helmets in the game, even if you don't focus on strength as hard as we are. As soon as you start the game you should open the equipment screen and use tab to make horns your primary weapon. Burrowing Claws occupies your hands for another pair of natural weapons. Since they're shortblades we can also pick up jab and bloodletter for more attacks and a chance to bleed. Their raw damage isn't amazing without levels, and other mutations will probably get first dibs on mutation points, but your sky-high penetration will help them keep up, and utility of being able to ignore walls can be very nice. Carapace continues the natural equipment theme by filling up our body slot. It's hungry for mutation points, but if you keep it leveled carapace will be stronger than any body armor you could get at pretty much every point in the game. Wings occupy the back. They have a bunch of different benefits, but the biggest one for this build is the extra charge range. Being able to instantly teleport up to 7 tiles while also delivering an even stronger attack than normal is incredibly useful for a dedicated melee build. The reduced chance of getting lost is also a big help, since it makes the various wayfaring lores less necessary.

In order to afford all of those mutations we need to take a 4 point defect. Hooks for feet is the obvious thematic winner - it occupies our feet, for another equipment slot we don't need to care about. It's also another natural weapon. A very bad one, mind you - the hooks have a damage of 1 (one). But with our penetration that's still another 3-6 damage when they hit, and since they're shortblades they can benefit from jab and bloodletter, plus double muscled gives it a chance to stun. Not bad for a defect.

The priority for leveling your mutations should be roughly Carapace > Horns > Wings > Double Muscled > Burrowing Claws. Carapace and horns get priority for your rapid advances, so they can break level 10 in the lategame. Wings I'll normally take to 6 early on for the 0% chance to fall and extra tile of charge range, but stop leveling after that.

The only really necessary skills are charge and jab + bloodletter. Shield and shield slam can be nice, for another good active skill and making your charges even stronger, and jump gets buffed by wings to become a great mobility option. I'll normally start in the wayfaring village, but hold off on buying the individual lores - the wings are normally enough to make up for it until you have more important skills set up. The Dual wield tree is nice, but very expensive. I wouldn't worry about it too much until you're comfortable with your current skills. Heavy weapons are a good fit if you can find any, since you'll have no trouble hitting the strength requirements (but will struggle with the rifle and pistol trees).

We need to pick a starting class that gives + strength, so that narrows it down to marauder and warden. I prefer marauder for instant access to charge, but you can make a good case for warden too, especially if you're planning to use rifles - this build won't have the agility to naturally learn bow & rifle for a while.

Starting stats are 26 strength, 16 agility, 20 toughness, 14 int, 12 willpower, 10 ego. Strength is as high as it can go - we're going all in on natural weapons. Toughness is the next priority, since being a dedicated melee guy without a healthy :haw: pool of hp is risky. You can take 4 points away from agi/int/will for 2 more toughness, if you want to specialize even farther. Ego is a pretty safe dump stat, since we rarely need to buy stuff anyway. Willpower hurts more, since we do care about our charge cooldown and mental armor, but we have to spare the points somewhere. You can get away with dropping agility lower than 16, since horns get bonus accuracy as you level them up, but you'll start really feeling the skills with agi requirements - acrobatics, jab, and bloodletter all require 17 agi. 14 int is about as low as you can go while still buying skills somewhat freely. Lower is doable but you'll have to plan your purchases really carefully. On level up, I'll normally dump all stats into strength. The +1 to all stats levels should shore up the rest of your build, so you'll benefit more from focusing on your strengths.

The playstyle is simple but effective: wade into melee and hit stuff really, really hard. If someone is shooting at you, or trying to eat your brain, use charge to close the distance (and probably turn them into a fine mist). You don't have many other tricks, but it turns out a lot of problems can be solved with enough force.

Snake Maze fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 7, 2022

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
that is a really good build i do should do a build post some time

all that build truly needs is flame breath

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Megane, those sprites rule. The shapes are so well defined, very clear and readable. You rock

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

verbal enema posted:

your sprite really makes me want to learn how to mod in a literal martial arts tree

weapons would be handwraps/ fighting gloves etc have a stun/ throw/ place swap/ multi hit perhaps a block that doesn't shield from full damage but some but happens much more often who knows!

maybe have the last skill be an energy blast

also yeah it kicks turbo rear end!!!!

e: rework slam for the tree so you can kick someone through walls

The martial artist I have in mind for my next run after the Moon Stair update drops will rely on cybernetic hand implants for her weaponry, but yeah, other than that, you don't currently have many options for adapting to the difficulty curve as a True Kin with just your on-board stuff, unlike mutants.

I don't disagree that a dedicated martial arts skill tree would be interesting, but most of the skills you would expect to find in it are kind of already in the game, just scattered across Acrobatics/Cudgel/Tactics/Endurance. But yeah, actually throwing opponents into obstacles, hazards, or each other would be immensely satisfying, even if that might not be as 'optimal' as a fully levelled axe tree.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I was playing the other day and saw loving crysteel handbones and was like ok what the gently caress I need something like that for mutants

I want to punch stuff too :saddowns:

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

verbal enema posted:

I was playing the other day and saw loving crysteel handbones and was like ok what the gently caress I need something like that for mutants

I want to punch stuff too :saddowns:

Mutants already have stuff like Burrowing Claws, Double-muscled, and Regeneration. If you want to go heavy on a thematic martial artist build, those will serve you pretty well in combination with the various available skills.

I just wish the beak actually did something. Apparently, a long-standing bug prevents its use as a weapon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Horns is the real winner, arbitrary strength penetration scaling and the ability to use dagger skills but on an actually-good weapon is huge

also the various stingers but those are more for the venom than the (effectively non-scaling) damage they deal

punch them with your head

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Gniwu posted:

Mutants already have stuff like Burrowing Claws, Double-muscled, and Regeneration. If you want to go heavy on a thematic martial artist build, those will serve you pretty well in combination with the various available skills.

I just wish the beak actually did something. Apparently, a long-standing bug prevents its use as a weapon.

oh i do double muscle regen builds all the time they just center around axes

but what if i could punch? (burrowing claws dont count!!!!)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
IMO the main downsides to unarmed builds are that a) you can't tinker your hands or replace them with better ones (apart from investing more MP in claws or finding one of the rare and expensive higher-tier hand bone cybernetics), b) there are no cool artifact unarmed weapons (shut up the ape fist doesn't count), and c) there are (to my knowledge) no flawless crysteel or zetachrome tier unarmed weapons (although, granted, ultra-high MP horns and maybe claws can potentially hit pretty loving hard).

Anyway, I think that there should be procedurally-generated martial arts moves that you can learn by befriending various factions, and I further think that artifact books should be able to teach weird as hell secret procgen Sultan techniques like a bare-handed EMP or a super strong punch that turns slain enemies into gems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Angry Diplomat posted:

Anyway, I think that there should be procedurally-generated martial arts moves that you can learn by befriending various factions, and I further think that artifact books should be able to teach weird as hell secret procgen Sultan techniques like a bare-handed EMP or a super strong punch that turns slain enemies into gems

hell yeahx1000