Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The sword missile is more viscerally unpleasant sounding than a high explosive. An explosive missile makes its targets (and the dozen innocent people nearby) helpfully disappear into a big cloud of smoke and fire, so you can stop thinking about it there before you get to the carnage. With the sword missile, there's no looking away from the fact that it's committing metal gear rising on a real human being.

E: loving terrible snipe, dogshit post, who is this idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Explosives leave plenty of human debris, it's just spread out over a wider area. I don't think you can really quantity the horror of these kinds of weapons. The murdering dweebs over at Lockheed probably just use words like "effect on target" and "secondaries."

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

christmas boots posted:

Isn’t the sword missile supposed to cause less collateral damage or something?

One sword missile probably kills fewer innocent people than an explosive. Drone warfare was safer than having a man on the ground to paint a target, with the same end result. But, after getting drones, they started assassinating way more people with bombs and blowing up more weddings.

So, this could replace some conventional drone strikes and maybe have less collateral, and maybe also they escalate drone attacks to more scenarios where a conventional explosive payload would have caused too much collateral.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sword Missile was my favorite MGS boss

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Explosives leave plenty of human debris, it's just spread out over a wider area. I don't think you can really quantity the horror of these kinds of weapons. The murdering dweebs over at Lockheed probably just use words like "effect on target" and "secondaries."

Right, that's what I'm saying, you can just mentally handwave it away easier. "Missile hit, they're gone, that's the end of that thought." Whereas with the sword missile, even if you stop thinking about it right before it hits, that just means you're visualising a shot from a slasher movie

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Dabir posted:

Right, that's what I'm saying, you can just mentally handwave it away easier. "Missile hit, they're gone, that's the end of that thought." Whereas with the sword missile, even if you stop thinking about it right before it hits, that just means you're visualising a shot from a slasher movie

The swords aren't actually for slashing. If you're close enough to get slashed, you were already killed by the shockwave from the giant sword missile hitting the ground near/on you.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Byzantine posted:

Nice try, Yuri.

No, comrade premier.

It has only just begun.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Dabir posted:

Yeah, you can just stop thinking about it, sure.

Unless you live in Kabul and some guy's head falls out of a tree while you're walking to work a few days after a 'targeted assassination'.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The people who make the decision about what missiles to fire don't generally plan on visiting the other end so

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Cicadalek posted:

I am visualizing a slightly smaller tactical nuke hitting Uri Geller only

Ah, fond Borderlands 2 memories. gently caress off, Dave.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Dr. Stab posted:

One sword missile probably kills fewer innocent people than an explosive. Drone warfare was safer than having a man on the ground to paint a target, with the same end result. But, after getting drones, they started assassinating way more people with bombs and blowing up more weddings.

So, this could replace some conventional drone strikes and maybe have less collateral, and maybe also they escalate drone attacks to more scenarios where a conventional explosive payload would have caused too much collateral.

Yeah, that's a good point.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dr. Stab posted:

Jevons paradox: WOT edition :patriot:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
maybe we just skip to the Rods of God.

still dumb solid matter with no moving parts, but you still get a nice energetic release of energy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nobody ever broke up prior to the modern age of *checks notes* the 1500s.

Alas my love you do me wrong
To cast me off discourteously;
And I have loved you oh so long
Delighting in your company.
Greensleeves was my delight,
Greensleeves my heart of gold
Greensleeves was my heart of joy
And who but my Lady Greensleeves
I have been ready at your hand
To grant whatever thou would’st crave;
I have waged both life and land
Your love and goodwill for to have.
Thy petticoat of sendle white
With gold embroidered gorgeously;
Thy petticoat of silk and white
And these I bought gladly.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
We can quibble between drones with explosives and drones with swords all day

Real men use the Rod from God: https://militarywatchmagazine.com/article/project-thor-what-america-s-new-rods-from-god-space-based-superweapon-can-do

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Sword Missile was my favorite MGS MegaMan X boss

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Van Kraken posted:

Napoleonic wars, not world wars. Is the show good? I loved the book and heard good things about the show, but never got around to it.

It’s good! The pacing is a bit odd in parts, but there are some excellent performances, and the costumes/sets/effects are very good.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

PhazonLink posted:

still dumb solid matter with no moving parts, but you still get a nice energetic release of energy.

Tungsten doesn't grow on trees, and rocks are free.

Volcott has a new favorite as of 06:45 on Aug 6, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

AlbieQuirky posted:

It’s good! The pacing is a bit odd in parts, but there are some excellent performances, and the costumes/sets/effects are very good.

Something that helps is that it knows how to use it's budget. Each episode has one BIG EFFECTS SPELL then a few smaller ones that don't need many special effects so the big spells get the budget and look good (like Horse Sand, building the road in the warzone) and it has some cool interpretations of certain ideas like when the Thistledown Hair Man puts Jonathan Strange in an eternal night after he pisses him off just a bit too much and it's shown as the rest of the city being normal but then a huge sort of tornado centered around Strange's house with a night sky at the eye of the storm.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Volcott posted:

Tungsten doesn't grow on trees, and rocks are free.

rocks are not "free," citizen. you are wasting the emperor's manpower and resources

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

It continues to annoy me every time those are brought up that they went with that stupid name rather than calling them swords of damocles.

Like it literally fits the story 100%, because the idea was to have them orbiting in space as a constant threat. But no, army dudes are ignorant barbarians.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

FFT posted:

G.I. Girlfriend fits, though

state issue slampiece also

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

state issue slampiece also
holy poo poo

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

AlbieQuirky posted:

Totally, also It takes a couple of episodes to get going, but it's worth sticking with.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Van Kraken posted:

Napoleonic wars, not world wars. Is the show good? I loved the book and heard good things about the show, but never got around to it.

I thought it was awful. Murkily shot, terrible sound and Marc Warren doing his usual I AM PRETTY AND SCOWL A LOT schtick he keeps ruining good villains with (RIP Steerpike and Teatime...). The gentleman with thistle-down hair is meant to be fey and twee-seeming at the start and become gradually terrifying as you realise oh gently caress he's serious oh gently caress what now oh gently caress he can't ah he just did, not show up as someone such blatant bad news that even dead-from-the-neck-up sons of privilege wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot wizard's staff.

But I seem to be in a minority there.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Volcott posted:

I think the sword missile is different from the switchblade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AeroVironment_Switchblade

No the Switchblade is a Hellfire missile that explodes before reaching the target, releasing a cloud of actual switchblades.

The main challenge thus far has been to get them to flip open in the air

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

OwlFancier posted:

It continues to annoy me every time those are brought up that they went with that stupid name rather than calling them swords of damocles.

that ain't no crime

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Dr. Stab posted:

Plus it's still going into a sovereign country that we are not at war with and killing someone there because we've decided that's fine and no-one is going to stop us.

Even zero collateral damage is too much, there's still the part where it's all an illegal assassination program.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OwlFancier posted:

Like it literally fits the story 100%, because the idea was to have them orbiting in space as a constant threat. But no, army dudes are ignorant barbarians.

I’ve always called them ACME Guided Anvils

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Somfin posted:

Plus it's still going into a sovereign country that we are not at war with and killing someone there because we've decided that's fine and no-one is going to stop us.

Even zero collateral damage is too much, there's still the part where it's all an illegal assassination program.

Rules-Based International Order

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
The whole rods from god concept seems functionally useless these days. It's a Wile E Coyote gag with a DARPA price tag.
If your enemy is high-tech enough to stop you using drones and B2s, they'll also be high tech enough to detect a white hot hunk of metal in the sky and get human targets clear in time. They're not much use on fixed infrastructure either. Space dropped weapons have such a poor accuracy that you're basically obliged to carry a nuclear payload to cope with how far you're going to miss the target.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
things fall fast. :shrug:

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Seth Pecksniff posted:

We can quibble between drones with explosives and drones with swords all day

Real men use the Rod from God: https://militarywatchmagazine.com/article/project-thor-what-america-s-new-rods-from-god-space-based-superweapon-can-do

quote:

Development of a non-nuclear space based ‘superweapon’ also provides the U.S. with a potentially massive advantage against adversaries with a no-first use policy for their own nuclear arsenals such as China and North Korea - allowing the U.S. to strike targets with the same level of force as a nuclear warhead without escalation to a nuclear war.
We are exploding your people with the same power of a nuke, but not a nuke, so you can't strike back, neener neener. -Some smart military guy

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

OwlFancier posted:

afaik you're not allowed to say it outside of the aus, ireland, and uk threads

You can say it in the cricket thread, and also the afl thread.

Probably also the rugby threads. But those private schoolboys are usually too polite.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Mister Speaker posted:

some guy's head falls out of a tree while you're walking to work a few days after a 'targeted assassination'.
I think when they fall off the tree that generally means they're ripe and edible?

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

state issue slampiece
lmfao

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RabbitWizard posted:

We are exploding your people with the same power of a nuke, but not a nuke, so you can't strike back, neener neener. -Some smart military guy
They can absolutely strike back! Just not with a nuke. The lawyers said so.

...the hope is that they haven't gotten far enough up the tech tree to also have Space Rock yet

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
NGL it was pretty sick when the dude in The Expanse hit Earth with like half a dozen asteroids. That's the kind of proactive ingenuity they need in the Iranian space program to really level the playing field.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I kinda feel like if we dropped a giant tungsten rod on China from space, they might be inclined to ignore their own rules about nuclear first strikes. Like, we ignore our laws about use of military force all the god damned time, so this entire concept relies on the Chinese military having much better ethics than our own.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

that's cursed