Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Animal-Mother posted:

Ban the playing of the game of golf but let the courses remain. If these fat old men really enjoy walking around day drinking in the sun, let them prove it.

What does letting them remain entail? Depending on climate, without constant care they will rapidly turn into something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Gripweed posted:

Step 1: ban golf.

There's historical legal precedent. King James II outlawed golf in 1457 because he felt that it was distracting from archery.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I have no interest in playing golf but it’s great to watch on a lazy afternoon.

gently caress bowling.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Bowling can be rough. I wanted to use the heaviest ball, for hours, and my hand really hurt the next day.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

doverhog posted:

What does letting them remain entail? Depending on climate, without constant care they will rapidly turn into something else.

I can't think of a better use for Astroturf.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

I can't think of a better use for Astroturf.

Astroturf, which is made of plastic, should be recycled. The golf courses should be turned into affordable housing, or parks, or reforested.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

doverhog posted:

Bowling can be rough. I wanted to use the heaviest ball, for hours, and my hand really hurt the next day.

I knew I had to decide if I wanted to get better scores by being better or getting used to the pain. I average about 138 now, which is pretty good for someone bad at bowling, and I owe it all to the 16 lb Ebonite Tornado my grandfather left me, which I launch down the lane like a cannonball, and the inertia usually takes care of what my grace does not.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

doverhog posted:

Depending on climate, without constant care they will rapidly turn into something else.

We talking about the greens or the fat old men here?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

oldpainless posted:

I have no interest in playing golf but it’s great to watch on a lazy afternoon.

gently caress bowling.

But how would you feel about archery?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

But how would you feel about archery?

Any sport would benefit from introducing a team of archers matched up against the rest of the field in a parallel and highly asymmetric side competition.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
All sports should be replaced with the melee.

E: lol this title

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

road cars should have speed governors around 70kph

doverhog
May 31, 2013

and obey the governor or he'll use his rooty tooty point and shooty

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FishBulbia posted:

Lmao if you ever have to drive out of town I guess

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

FishBulbia posted:

That's too high, 55 MPH is as fast as anyone ever has to go

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

70kph is closer to 45mph champ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

70kph is closer to 45mph champ

It's a completely different scale

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
european miles are shorter than american miles - everything's wee and cute over there

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Actually a Swedish mile is 6.2 American miles and I know this because it was a plot point in a book where humour arose from this hilarious misunderstanding.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

lol just imagining driving between cities in Texas at 55mph

I would probably murder the first person I saw after getting out of the car

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You don't need car hell, imagine Toronto-Montréal at that speed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

hawowanlawow posted:

lol just imagining driving between cities in Texas at 55mph

I would probably murder the first person I saw after getting out of the car

The obvious solution is to massively invest in Schulenburg, Waco, and Buffalo. Instead of having the cities be spread apart, you build up the towns in between into cities in their own right so Texas has a single massive triangular urban conurbation marked at the corners by San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

The obvious solution is to massively invest in Schulenburg, Waco, and Buffalo. Instead of having the cities be spread apart, you build up the towns in between into cities in their own right so Texas has a single massive triangular urban conurbation marked at the corners by San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas.

give it 50 years

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Captain Monkey posted:

give it 50 years

we can do it way faster with forced relocation. The entire population of Beaumont forcibly moved to Huntsville. Every man woman and child in Fredericksburg loaded onto buses and driven to their new homes in San Marcos. Next time a hurricane smashes a coastal town, everybody is moved. Sorry people of Rockport, not a dime will be spent on rebuilding your town but you will all be given a beautiful new home in Seguin. This can be done, it only requires the political will to do so.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Let's not talk about forced relocation actually

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

we can do it way faster with forced relocation. The entire population of Beaumont forcibly moved to Huntsville. Every man woman and child in Fredericksburg loaded onto buses and driven to their new homes in San Marcos. Next time a hurricane smashes a coastal town, everybody is moved. Sorry people of Rockport, not a dime will be spent on rebuilding your town but you will all be given a beautiful new home in Seguin. This can be done, it only requires the political will to do so.

Jesus Christ what’s wrong with you

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I personally think the solution to travel between the cities of Texas would be a robust high speed rail system connecting all the major cities of the state. But there's not much political will for that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The hardest choices require the strongest wills

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Texas has some private firms competing to put high speed rail in, so it's going to happen in some respect within the next 5-25 years, just maybe not one that makes a lot of sense.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Gripweed posted:

I personally think the solution to travel between the cities of Texas would be a robust high speed rail system connecting all the major cities of the state. But there's not much political will for that.

Good news then. They've gotten more eminent domain rights approved for the project.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but regardless of your opinions on the '80's UK situational comedy, The Young Ones, it is my opinion that more TV shows need to randomly showcase cool bands mid-story.

It's been nearly forty years and I'm still angry it never took off.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

Forced relocation has worked out really well historically and hasn’t been controversial at all

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

christmas boots posted:

Forced relocation has worked out really well historically and hasn’t been controversial at all

Honestly just giving people in coastal communities who lose their homes to hurricanes a new home further inland would be preferable to our current scheme of promising them that FEMA will eventually provide funds to the states which will then distribute them and they'll get a portion of the value of their destroyed home 8 years after the fact.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Joke's on you pal, this city's going under and I don't even own a home!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Goons who refer to things as “win” or “fail” in tyol 2022 are deeply pathetic

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thetoughestbean posted:

Goons who refer to things as “win” or “fail” in tyol 2022 are deeply pathetic

yeah that poo poo's pretty cringe

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Die Hard 3 is a better movie than Die Hard 1.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Justin Godscock posted:

yeah but since die hard 3 is the peak of bruce willis career it goes without saying

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Justin Godscock posted:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

yeah but since die hard 3 is the peak of bruce willis career it goes without saying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpITBvfUeSU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It's 12 Monkeys.