Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

nooneofconsequence posted:

They'll put the Mars Baby birth on ppv and fund space travel for decades.

"Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! NASA PRESENTS BIRTH OF MARS BABY ONLY ON PAY PER VIEW"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If she’s giving birth on the Phoenix then it’s not really a Mars birth is it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Real dick move of Bill to bring in the FBI before Aleida has had a chance to retain counsel.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Solkanar512 posted:

Real dick move of Bill to bring in the FBI before Aleida has had a chance to retain counsel.

Would she need counsel? She's pointing out a crime, she didn't commit it.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Are we sure that the North Korean actually landed on Mars first? I know the NK probe was launched first but I imagine whatever engine they used to get there is a whole lot slower than what the other teams were working with.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rental Sting posted:

Are we sure that the North Korean actually landed on Mars first? I know the NK probe was launched first but I imagine whatever engine they used to get there is a whole lot slower than what the other teams were working with.

We don't even know if the cache they were going for was the one that the NK guy landed in. He could have been retrieving supplies from it, been on patrol, or monitoring communications and realizing that they were going to steal from his ship, went out to defend it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Could she be implicated for withholding information? Seems like that’s exactly what she told the FBI she would do.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Cojawfee posted:

The FBI doesn't know that, she's explicitly not cooperating with this investigation, and she has personal secondhand experience with FBI ratfuckery in a previous investigation. Getting help seems prudent!

Rental Sting posted:

I don't think we Know but it's possible?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Rental Sting posted:

Yeah i didn’t immediately think they got there first either. But it is weird that if they came after NASA/Helios that nobody would have noticed landing or surface activity from space.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

pokeyman posted:

The FBI doesn't know that, she's explicitly not cooperating with this investigation, and she has personal secondhand experience with FBI ratfuckery in a previous investigation. Getting help seems prudent!

Bill didn't know she was going to be really weird about it and withhold stuff, so he wouldn't have a need to think she would need a lawyer. Maybe she would need a lawyer now because she was so cagey and immediately ran home and destroyed all the evidence she had collected. She might as well just turn over what she has to the FBI now, they are going to investigate it anyway. I just hope Aleida doesn't do something stupid like tell Margo that the FBI was tipped off about it so she then flees the country and now Aleida is left holding the bag.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Cojawfee posted:

Never talk to cops without a lawyer.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Bill didn't know she was going to be really weird about it
When they were in her garage they talked about what the FBI did to her father and he said he knew and understood her hesitance. He presumably thought she'd talk if given the chance but had to know her reaction was a possibility.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Cojawfee posted:

Bill didn't know she was going to be really weird about it and withhold stuff, so he wouldn't have a need to think she would need a lawyer.

In their previous conversation when he said she needed to go the FBI she said something like, "No, gently caress no, never, you know what they did to my dad."

I think her stance on talking to the FBI was pretty clear.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Boy that was stupid. lol. Appreciate the gumption to do something so absurd I guess.

Completely impossible. Soyuz is very small.

Count me as one that didn't call it--I didn't think the show was going to just throw plausibility out like that and switch to space fantasy. But if they're going to embrace the crazy then sure, why not.

I don't think anyone was guessing that the NK guy would still be alive, just that he would be there.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

ngl I was expecting them to stumble upon a comical pile of bones in the sand.

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 6, 2022

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I expect that next week we're gonna start off with a 12bmonths earlier, so I'll give them time to justify his presence.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cojawfee posted:

From the FBI's perspective, everyone says they didn't commit a crime. And maybe it's more of a "she hasn't committed a crime yet" situation - lying to the FBI is a crime. Are they going to put her through hell just because she was stressed out and had been interviewed for hours without a break and forgot or screwed up some detail? What if she does everything by the book and they're still convinced she did something or she's just an easier target because she isn't as politically connected as Margo is?

If you have a good lawyer with you, you have someone who will know and understand your rights better than you and know how to assert them. They will understand how to deal with the FBI and how to avoid bullshit with interrogations, polygraphs or worse. They will keep you from inadvertently feeding them things that can be twisted to hurt you later.

In short -

nooneofconsequence posted:

:siren: Never talk to cops without a lawyer. :siren:

Cold-war era Federal cops doubly.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

They laika’d a guy hhahaha gently caress yes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Watching this while listening to Blowback season 3. The only correct faction to root for is DPRK.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Okay, I was one of the goons tearing this show apart after the last two episodes, but this one swung it back around to almost the quality of the first two seasons.
It's really just mostly the Danny stuff that infected this show and dragged it down and thankfully him and his stupid brother were absent for this one.

I'm glad they finally had Ellen come out because the longer they stretched her and Margo's story about their respective secrets, the more and more cowardly they made them seem. So happy she retroactively took back DADT and both apologized and recognized Will for coming out. The show was feeling like a big centrist liberal "truth is in the middle" garbage pile in the mid-season with that stirring music when they came up with DADT.

Much more satisfied now and that swerve at the very end is the kick in the rear end the story needed to avoid being formulaic.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Everyone seems like they aren't going back to Mars.

USSR can't build the required tech without help.
Helios doesn't see it as worth the investment.
NASA is prob gonna get it's funding stripped.

There needs to be a reason to go back.

I reckon they bring the NK astronaut back, and doing the math realise they can't all go back up in the MSAM. Danny is feeling guilty because of the accident, and volunteers to stay behind.

Helios and the USA both end up in a situation where they basically have no choice but to go back to Mars to rescue him.

Another bit of speculation, spoilered because it will be a shocking thing if it happens: Terrorist attack on NASA. Margot dies, remembered as an American hero for all the dramas she has led NASA through.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

mcmagic posted:

Watching this while listening to Blowback season 3. The only correct faction to root for is DPRK.

same and correct

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I'm expecting that the conspiracy nuts are gonna do a terrorism that will make the whole country rally around NASA, securing the future of space travel

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Those magnificent fools, they did it! They actually did it. Best episode ending of the series.

There isn't a lot of time left for Kelly to find life on Mars, especially in her condition at the end of that episode. Surely that discovery will be the reason everyone will return instead of cancelling all of their plans. Also, I was pretty sure Ed was going to die this season and I guess he still could, but not before resolving the Danny stuff. Could see him staying behind, too, like he did on the moon.

No idea how the Margot plot will be resolved, but I'm guessing a pardon and also she'll be reunited with her Russian counterpart because that's the sort of thing this show would do. Likewise, instead of getting impeached Ellen will probably cruise into a second term on the back of a huge popularity boost following her revelation. Lots to wrap up in one episode but I trust they'll handle it well.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Kalko posted:

Likewise, instead of getting impeached Ellen will probably cruise into a second term on the back of a huge popularity boost following her revelation. Lots to wrap up in one episode but I trust they'll handle it well.

I'm expecting Ellen to get removed or otherwise not run just because of how uninterested the show has been in the White House angle of the plot. Mean Vice President is pretty clearly being set up as an antagonistic figure, but they could either have Ellen get impeached, or he runs against her splitting the vote and the Democrats take the White House.

It feels like I'm the only one who's actually interested in the brewing anti-space terrorism storyline. It's been a lot of setup so far but there's plenty of places they could take it, and whasshisname is a much more sympathetic character than Danny.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

bawfuls posted:

the father is.... Mars itself!

I'd be 100% on board with a raised By Wolves/For All Mankind mashup season. Do it, Apple, pick it up.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

DamnGlitch posted:

They laika’d a guy hhahaha gently caress yes.

First North Korean manned space mission and they laika him to Mars

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rochallor posted:

It feels like I'm the only one who's actually interested in the brewing anti-space terrorism storyline. It's been a lot of setup so far but there's plenty of places they could take it, and whasshisname is a much more sympathetic character than Danny.

Hey, I mocked the hee-haw-talleyban for stealing a statue instead of bombing poo poo :smith: But, under no circumstances, do you "have to hand it" to the Other Fail-son, they're both awful dog-poo poo characters. At least the conspiracy whackadoos were manipulating the Other One fairly well, but there was no follow-through!!! :argh:

Unless the anti-NASA-Kaczynskis do actually blow something up in the season finale, which is a real possibility :ohdear:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i hope all the men die and Danielle, Kelly, and hot Russian lady form a gynocracy on Mars

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
A probably dumb question: why is there a prominent giant portrait of Richard Nixon in the White House? I know he didn't resign in this timeline, but isn't he just a random one-term president in their timeline?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rochallor posted:

I'm expecting Ellen to get removed or otherwise not run just because of how uninterested the show has been in the White House angle of the plot. Mean Vice President is pretty clearly being set up as an antagonistic figure, but they could either have Ellen get impeached, or he runs against her splitting the vote and the Democrats take the White House.

The only way we'd see Ellen again after this next episode is if she doesn't run at all or loses the 96 election, and then runs again in 10 years. If she stays as president, she'll be out in 2000, and the next season will likely be in the mid 2000s. If they do go for the Al Gore route, it will probably better to just have the white house be out of the picture entirely. I'm not really sure what Ellen would be able to do on the show though. Modern ex-presidents tend to disappear into the background, though some annoyingly stick around.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

mancalamania posted:

A probably dumb question: why is there a prominent giant portrait of Richard Nixon in the White House? I know he didn't resign in this timeline, but isn't he just a random one-term president in their timeline?

Two terms and gets to take credit for NASA's success.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

mancalamania posted:

I don't remember when exactly he was president in this show, but IRL, he did do a few good things like the EPA, the modern USPS, Earth Day, the Clean Air Act, and OSHA. I don't know if that cancels out trying to cheat in an election he won handily anyway and sabotaging peace talks to prolong the vietnam war in order to get elected the first time, but who knows.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

e: I'm dumb

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 6, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

mancalamania posted:

It's Ellen's White House, and the POTUS gets to decorate. Ellen was one of Nixon's Women who made it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Two terms and gets to take credit for NASA's success.
no he loses in '72 to Ted Kennedy but he takes credit for the first class of female astronauts, aka "Nixon's Women"

Watergate is still a scandal but it's less of a big deal since he lost the election anyway

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 6, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

bawfuls posted:

no he loses in '72 to Ted Kennedy

o. I thought Ted replaced Carter.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kennedy has a higher profile and cleaner image in the show thanks to him NOT driving his car into a river and killing his companion because he leaves the party early cause of the Soviet's landing on the moon. Teddy also is the one leading the Senate hearings against Von Braun.

So he's a stronger candidate in '72 than McGovern, but has the ERA scandal during his one term and loses in '76 go Reagan, for whom the Republican field is clear in the absence of Ford. But Reagan then is in the hot seat for some late 70's stagflation and thus only barely survives reelection in '80 instead of the landslide he had IRL in '84. Then we get liberal utopian Gary Hart for 8 years before Ellen defeats Clinton.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 6, 2022

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

mancalamania posted:

I think it's mainly because of Ellen's personal attachment to Nixon. She became an astronaut because of his initiative and Nixon's appointed NASA administrator dude inspired her to enter politics before he got shot down on the Korean Airlines Flight over Soviet airspace. Ellen's--and every other character's--politics are so thinly-sketched on this show, which is probably for the best. All we know is that she's pro-green energy (certainly not a typical Republican position), moderate on gay rights, and maybe against higher taxes. If FAM got too involved in etching out this poo poo the character probably wouldn't be very sympathetic to much of the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Kalko posted:

No idea how the Margot plot will be resolved, but I'm guessing a pardon and also she'll be reunited with her Russian counterpart because that's the sort of thing this show would do. Likewise, instead of getting impeached Ellen will probably cruise into a second term on the back of a huge popularity boost following her revelation. Lots to wrap up in one episode but I trust they'll handle it well.

I powerfully hate when characters get redeemed for being terrible because they had feelings but yeah that's what will happen with both Danny and Margo.