Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to imagine in the alternate history of that TV show, the version of Complete Control plastered with somethingawful stickers did better than 0-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1541540919312121856?s=20

We've been had. There never was a Bounty Hunters season. It's some kind of champion of champions deal.

Coming August, so that's when you need to fire up your Discovery+ account.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

oh jay posted:

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1541540919312121856?s=20

We've been had. There never was a Bounty Hunters season. It's some kind of champion of champions deal.

Coming August, so that's when you need to fire up your Discovery+ account.

that bolt BETTER fit in a giant nut, istg

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

that bolt BETTER fit in a giant nut, istg

Well... Unless they changed it for some reason...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdDTl1__0RA

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

For those curious. Team Skorpios has spilled the beans on the format for the bounty tournament this year! There's 5 bounty tournaments with the bounty winners from last year. Then there is a 'Golden Bolt' tournament after with the 5 bounty winners and the 3 giant nut winners that were at Battlebots last year (Tombstone, End Game, & Tantrum).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X-qHMJKfYA

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Also worth a separate post. NHRL is back this weekend on Friday & Saturday for a 2 day event. Which will be on their YouTube channel!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Guess I mixed it up. The 2 day event for NHRL is Saturday and Sunday! This is the link for the Saturday event that starts at 10AM Eastern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7ICJDeDdfY

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Hell yeah.

I started following NHRL on YouTube and have been watching some of the 3lb division. Some of those bots are bananas. There's one full-body spinner which can barely control its own movement and rips up the floor of the arena wherever it toddles around. But it beats rear end and it's amazing to see that much force out of such a tiny bot. :allears:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Not sure how long they are going tonight. Have only been half watching the event today, but NHRL always fun. There's 3 bots there along with Marco and another guy from team Minotaur at the event. They are headed into the final for the 30lb with a mini minotaur. Which they are at least going until they crown the winner of the 30lb bracket.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Good old reminder. This is coming tomorrow night. 8PM on Discovery, probably early Thurs morning on Discovery+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6_osqf0Ids

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm going to straight up watch this at work, since Thursday is dead in the office. I'll invite the engineers since they love this kind of poo poo.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Discovery+ gave me a 7 day free trial before resubbing for a month so I can actually get the full 6 week season with only a 1 month sub.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Amazon had a thing for two months at 99 cents apiece, so pretty much perfect for this

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pretty good start to the mini series. They also got 8 out of 9 fights in and only cut 1 with a nonfunctional bot...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Pretty good start to the mini series. They also got 8 out of 9 fights in and only cut 1 with a nonfunctional bot...

If you're on Discovery+ it's under the main Battlebots show, not Bounty Hunters, btw

Really good episode! Claw Viper vs Defender was a wet fart though

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This Golden Bolt thing is a bit more involved than I thought

I like it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I can see why everyone there said they did Bounty Hunters, because they pretty much stapled another tournament onto the end of bounty hunters. It's a great evolution of Bounty Hunters; I notice they're calling this Season 7 on the app.

Not much to write home about in the first round.

Woo boy, that Hypershock-Valkyrie fight! They should stick to that configuration, goddamn.

Madcatter couldn't have asked for an easier first two rounds.

Man, Hypershock looks loving great against a real good opponent in Madcatter.

lol that Will Smith-based intro did not age well

Oh my god, Gigabyte in 3 pieces holy poo poo. Hypershock worked for exactly as long as it needed to, I think.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

HUGE vs Deep Six next week :blastback:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This Golden Bolt thing is a bit more involved than I thought

I like it

It's Robot Wars' format.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Great Beer posted:

It's Robot Wars' format.

pre-season 5 yeah. the only difference is that robots like gigabyte get byes to the round of 16 and the 3 former champs get a bye to the quarterfinals

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Dang, there were 3 top tier fights in that episode and they were all Hypershock tearing the poo poo out of their opponents. :v: I'm glad they won outright, everything came together for them and they were firing on all cylinders.

It's also really great to see the boring "sit back and let the opponent come to me" tactics used by full body spinners backfire on them spectacularly. :kheldragar:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Spoilering still since it's from the final match of the tournament... I enjoyed very much Team Hypershock doing a WWE entrance with the folding chair when going up against Madcatter!

I think it came up in the main season too or maybe the AMA so not really a spoiler. Kind of cool (and sad) that they put a picture of one of their Foster Kittens that didn't survive on the bottom of Madcatter.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's also really great to see the boring "sit back and let the opponent come to me" tactics used by full body spinners backfire on them spectacularly. :kheldragar:

Well to be fair... They were getting their asses royally kicked. And probably watched the previous 3 fights of Hypershock in full on gently caress everybody mode. Then they saw Hypershock having trouble moving and might have had an opening to win by knockout... Especially since it's Hypershock and they are notorious for destroying themselves!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hypershock is my favorite robot, and what a team. And what a show!

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
I said it last season, but the mad catter dude just needs to find a way to back out of his WWE persona. He never will, of course, and I will never be able to not ff through his appearances. Sucks that they hugely lost, but thanks to him I was not rooting for them anyway.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well to be fair... They were getting their asses royally kicked. And probably watched the previous 3 fights of Hypershock in full on gently caress everybody mode. Then they saw Hypershock having trouble moving and might have had an opening to win by knockout... Especially since it's Hypershock and they are notorious for destroying themselves!

Gigabyte was in very bad shape before that last hit. You could see it vibrating like an off balance washing machine. Considering the limited repair times they had it was reasonable to try to avoid more damage if hypershock was disabled.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They were hoping for a countout that didn't come, and I can respect that.

Bots often seem to engage opponents who may be knocked out when they could sit back and show that they're obviously broken and should be counted out. Hypershock probably hit Madcatter a half-dozen more times than it needed to. This is only a tactical complaint; it's much more entertaining TV when they're hyperaggro.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Otteration posted:

I said it last season, but the mad catter dude just needs to find a way to back out of his WWE persona. He never will, of course, and I will never be able to not ff through his appearances. Sucks that they hugely lost, but thanks to him I was not rooting for them anyway.

Same, it was funny the first time but it's just been tedious and annoying ever since

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

unfortunately since he created that whole persona he can't really just get rid of it. If he just talks normally then some people might think he sounds depressed or something. he's pretty much stuck with the shtick

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They even gave him an 'out' to drop the persona this episode when Team Hypershock walked out doing an impression of him (and doing it better since they incorporated a wrestling move with the folding chair), he could have done a Will Bales impression in response.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I would like Team Whyachi to drop their heel schtick.

*Checks earpiece* What's that? It's not a schtick?

Welp.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

He consistently gets a post fight interview even when he loses. Why would he ever stop?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

oh jay posted:

He consistently gets a post fight interview even when he loses. Why would he ever stop?

Agreed. I'm not saying it doesn't work for him. I'm saying it doesn't work for me.

Also: I don't think he can stop even if he wanted to because I think he's genuinely a sore loser/sore winner.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Railing Kill posted:

Agreed. I'm not saying it doesn't work for him. I'm saying it doesn't work for me.

Also: I don't think he can stop even if he wanted to because I think he's genuinely a sore loser/sore winner.

the madcatter guy? do you listen to what he actually says? its all pretty humble stuff lol

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Railing Kill posted:

I don't get sore loser from him. But I will say that half of his little skits come off as very disjointed because he isn't great at improv and likely prepares the spiel ahead of time.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

the madcatter guy? do you listen to what he actually says? its all pretty humble stuff lol

I was talking about the driver for Team Whyachi (Hydra's driver).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a fun gimmick but he needs to mix it up a bit or change up the persona to really nail it

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

lolfail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srtrs-skNgk

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
My 6 year old is all the way in on Madcatter's shtick, so it slays with the biggest battlebot fan in the house :shrug:

it's nice they release this fully produced at least :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Ah, I thought that the episode was a little light on Bot Whisperer commentary. It's here instead.