Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

One nice thing about the Tesla that Fords don’t do IIRC is you can set precisely what you want the seat and wheel to do for “easy exit” which is good because the seat going all the way back actually makes it harder to get out of the car because it goes so far back the B pillar starts impeding your egress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bad_fmr posted:

The seat memory function is of limited use if the memory profile does not also include mirrors and the steering wheel. You never get your perfect setup if you have to adjust them every time.

my year 2000 jawn has this, the only annoying thing is that the center rear view mirror is not powered

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Zero One posted:

I have seat, mirrors, and steering memory. I also have a feature that when I turn the car off it slides the seat back and raises the steering wheel to make it easier to get out. It's nice.

Same. Cost option, of course.

The Taycan's B pillars are massive and quite far forward, some people report it makes it difficult to get out, I'm pretty slimline and no issues but I can see how it could be a problem.

I got straight from a friend's A4 into the passenger side of mine, I had forgotten how low the seating position is, even despite the battery being under there. Great interior to get back into (though I kinda wish I'd got the burgundy or chalk leather)

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

cruft posted:

e: Wait, this was made in 2009? Why am I just hearing about it?

The Focus Electric? Because it was a limited, lame compliance model so Ford really didn't actually want to sell many.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Polestar stores seat and mirror settings in a user profile, so you can have it automatically adjust to whoever's sitting in the driver's seat

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

darnon posted:

The Focus Electric? Because it was a limited, lame compliance model so Ford really didn't actually want to sell many.

cruft is probably bitching that someone dared post an ICE car in here

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

darnon posted:

Also on at least the hatchback Focus, the battery juts quite deeply into the cargo area so you end up with a carpeted box taking up a good amount of the space and leaving you with a small and awkwardly shaped cargo area.

https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g15269694/2016-ford-focus-electric-instrumented-test-gallery/?slide=36

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

bird with big dick posted:

One nice thing about the Tesla that Fords don’t do IIRC is you can set precisely what you want the seat and wheel to do for “easy exit” which is good because the seat going all the way back actually makes it harder to get out of the car because it goes so far back the B pillar starts impeding your egress.

knox_harrington posted:

Same. Cost option, of course.

The Taycan's B pillars are massive and quite far forward, some people report it makes it difficult to get out, I'm pretty slimline and no issues but I can see how it could be a problem.

I got straight from a friend's A4 into the passenger side of mine, I had forgotten how low the seating position is, even despite the battery being under there. Great interior to get back into (though I kinda wish I'd got the burgundy or chalk leather)

On my Fusion my normal seating position was so far back that the slide was only a fraction of an inch. No issue with the B pillar that I recall.

On my F-150 now there is a lot of distance it slides back but the whole door is so big it also isn't an issue.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

cruft is probably bitching that someone dared post an ICE car in here

I had honestly never heard of the Focus Electric. Apparently there's an explanation as why I didn't.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

cruft posted:

I had honestly never heard of the Focus Electric. Apparently there's an explanation as why I didn't.

The one pictured is an ICE model and was very common...

Electrics were hatch only and sold mostly in compliance markets. I considered getting a used one because it has a liquid cooled battery, but they were hard to find and well, Ford.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I’m enjoying the friendly chime my car now does when the light turns green.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I’m enjoying the friendly chime my car now does when the light turns green.

It doesn't just blow the horn like your own personal "guy in a hurry" behind you? Lame.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The Ioniq 6 intrigues me. Seems like if the Manchin bill passes, the AWD Tesla Model 3 will be out of reach of the $7500 credit, but the Ioniq 6 may not be.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Typical, reinstate the EV tax credit, watch inflation drive most EVs over the maximum price cap to qualify.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
some bad news for ioniq 5 production, maybe 6 too?

https://twitter.com/hn_frontpage/status/1555074576002027520

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

God loving drat car hadn't charged overnight when I got in it to drive to work. The complicated charging settings are the worst thing about the taycan.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

knox_harrington posted:

God loving drat car hadn't charged overnight when I got in it to drive to work. The complicated charging settings are the worst thing about the taycan.

I have to charge twice a day, and my Leaf likes to reset the charging timer when the power flickers at work. Nothing like fast-charging in a Wal-Mart parking lot at 3AM so you can get home.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The Ioniq 6 intrigues me. Seems like if the Manchin bill passes, the AWD Tesla Model 3 will be out of reach of the $7500 credit, but the Ioniq 6 may not be.

If the Ioniq 6 is manufactured in SK won't it not qualify at all? Or will the existing credits continue for non-US mfg vehicles up to the 200k limit for a while?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Electrics were hatch only and sold mostly in compliance markets. I considered getting a used one because it has a liquid cooled battery, but they were hard to find and well, Ford.
Someone had one when they were new in my small town in NE Ohio, EV vanity plates and all. A real true believer in EVs. I always wondered how much effort they had to put in just to get that thing here, I don't think any of the local dealers did any of Ford's EV certification stuff until the Mach-E had been announced.

I stopped seeing it right around the time I started seeing a Model S with vanity plates so I figure they probably upgraded.

I wonder if it'd be possible to remove the rear seats and shuffle the batteries around to make a flat load floor more or less equivalent to a gas model with the seats folded. That'd make a used one a lot more interesting as an errand car.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttitQvs8y1Q

One of the first E-Transit reviews without a Ford drone in tow.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Elviscat posted:

I have to charge twice a day, and my Leaf likes to reset the charging timer when the power flickers at work. Nothing like fast-charging in a Wal-Mart parking lot at 3AM so you can get home.

This is why I never let my battery get below 30% if I can help it.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Tired: frunk shrimp
Wired: cabin canned clams

https://twitter.com/ashleymcnamara/status/1555019039285514240?s=21&t=qDN77ekXaQqDGBcMPUbZIg

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Clam clamps

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

:hellyeah:

$125k? Better start saving.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

builds character posted:

:hellyeah:

$125k? Better start saving.
Priced as an affordable starter home!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

bawfuls posted:

Priced as an affordable starter home!

Drive your house to work!

Unrelated:

Hail to the LEAF

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

Elviscat posted:

Drive your house to work!

Unrelated:

Hail to the LEAF

It’s really sad. If they would add some range, drop chademo, and actively cool the batteries they could keep selling this platform for a long time. We love our little commuter machine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Os Furoris posted:

It’s really sad. If they would add some range, drop chademo, and actively cool the batteries they could keep selling this platform for a long time. We love our little commuter machine.

Bring the Kia Soul back to the US. It's a 64kwh liquid cooled battery with CCS (albeit last gen charging speeds) and that would be perfect in the place of the Leaf.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The new Niro looks like it's taking over that segment assuming supply is there.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dissss posted:

The new Niro looks like it's taking over that segment assuming supply is there.

Yes, but it's longer and wider than the Soul. Don't want that. Plus the view out the rear window sucks.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Plus we need box cars. They just look cool. Give us EV souls, xBs, and elements!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Wayne Knight posted:

Plus we need box cars. They just look cool. Give us EV souls, xBs, and elements!

Hell yes, give me a Scion xB EV and I’m good.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
City cars like that that don't give up a ton of internal space to aero features would be great.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Yes, but it's longer and wider than the Soul. Don't want that. Plus the view out the rear window sucks.

On the flip side the view out the front is way better than my Leaf which has the thickest A pillars known to man.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Silly Burrito posted:

I've had detailed daydreams of putting a Tesla powertrain under an Element body. My Element was perfect, except for the underpowered 4-cylinder.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPJtqTbAeog

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

I love Volvos and want an electric car, but I have been told that the Polestar is way overpriced for the performance it offers (particularly the range).

I was pointed toward the ID.4 and Ioniq 5. Ioniq 5 looks better (in several ways).

An electric V50 would be my ideal car. I dislike SUVs but lol America.

I have a 5 mile daily commute and access to free chargers at work. I drive the 350 miles from LA to Oakland every 1-2 months, and I would prefer a car that doesn't have to stop multiple times along the way. I am not militantly anti-Tesla, but I hate the lack of dash and physical controls.

Does Ioniq 5 fit? Are there alternatives I'm overlooking? This is a new consumer space for me.

It doesn't need to be zippy. I'm trying to talk myself down from AWD and HUDs and such. I've lived without those things my whole life; my 2005 S40 2.4i is the best thing I've ever driven.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Rent a hybrid for the long drive or get a car with 200mile range and Fast Charging and take a break at the 2.5 hour mark?

Plan accordingly though since high speed driving will take down your range a bit from the estimated max.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
While in reality the Ioniq 5 isn't like Rabbit-sized as the proportions in pictures might fool you it's basically just a big hatchback getting called an SUV for marketing. It's still shorter than even many subcompact crossovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

It's longer than a Rav4 or CX-5 or Tucson and only like 6" shorter than a Santa Fe. Also really wide which is more of a problem for city usage.