Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Emet-Selch epitomizes the FFXIV villain:

Enters the story at "Who is this rear end in a top hat? What a bastard! Talks too much too. I can't wait to murder him several times over."

By the end: "Goodnight, sweet prince! May you find rest and comfort in the aetherial sea!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Incorrect, G’raha is more kissable. :colbert:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Where does one go to see class comparison DPS charts again?

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

SuperKlaus posted:

Where does one go to see class comparison DPS charts again?

fflogs and view statics by encounter and then pick a percentile and filter by job.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
It also helps to know what kind of fight you're looking at e.g. high/low uptime because that can really change rankings.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Having just beaten Shiva, here are my thoughts:

more like Ice..........fart. gottem

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Vermain posted:

in an increasingly fractitious, divided world, it's comforting to know that all nations and peoples can unite in the solemn belief that emet-selch is the most kissable boy of them all

:hmmwrong:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The part of ARR that people dislike has the one Roegadyn based off Bill Paxton in True Lies so its actually good.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hopeandjoy posted:

Incorrect, G’raha is more kissable. :colbert:

Agree, but largely because G'raha actually asked me out on a date. Emet blew his chance!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Objectively a better romantic choice than half of the other top contenders

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Some spoilers for Shadowbringers and such:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH2wDdYIMQU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Oneiros posted:

the people who get murder boners for the elementals are hilarious because they're basically real life ghibli movie villains and they seem completely unaware of it
I still have both arms, thank you very much.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Bell_ posted:

I still have both arms, thank you very much.

For now

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I would be loath to pursue this point except in the current depths of the content drought, but it's a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of princess mononoke to call lady eboshi the villain

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/pitrepan/status/1555880058492960769?s=21&t=L4LYTMtlAvhZW9XX2RcIzg

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I think I've worked out a pretty decent system for tackling my fishing journey. It's certainly not the most efficient, but it works for me and that's all that matters.

I start by having a notepad document with a full list of every fishing hole, listed by zone. Starting at the top of the list, I punch the fishing hole name into Teamcraft. From there, I go to the fishing hole and catch every non-timer fish. Then, I pin the timer fish in Carbuncleplushy's fish tracker. At that point, I remove the fishing hole from the notepad document and move on to the next fishing hole.

Whenever I can, I check Carbuncleplushy and hit fish that are in their timer. That's a very long term goal, so I'm only working on the fish that I have pinned.

I'm sure I'll get the resplendent rod long long long before I get <Big Fish>, but <Big Fish> is my pre-7.0 goal, so I'm taking this at a fairly casual, chill pace. As fishing should be.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Oneiros posted:

the people who get murder boners for the elementals are hilarious because they're basically real life ghibli movie villains and they seem completely unaware of it

My favorite part of every Ghibli movie is when the spirit of nature tells a local doctor they can't treat a dying child.

I really think you should actually look at the text as written in the game instead of hearing "entity related to trees" and just then filling in whats happening with every other bit of media you can kind of tie to it.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Oneiros posted:

Please, I prefer to be called a Dr. Seuss villain.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
My TT brain worms are taking a nap and now I must get my last 8 field notes (while getting XP)

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
On the subject of Field Notes, do you have to clear every critical engagement/duel, or are there some that you can ignore? (This is all putting aside the fact that I've not yet managed to get into a duel even on the rare occasion I qualify for one)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm pretty sure every note that's available from a duel is available with atrocious drop rates elsewhere.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Shinjobi posted:

What is happening is interesting. There is still a ton of busy work though, when as soon as you hear the rumblings of Iceheart and etc it's pretty obvious where the quests will take you. The destination has never been more obvious, I am embarrassed for my supporting cast.

To be fair, only a few of the NPCs have the typical FF player's encyclopedic knowledge of nearly-naked ice ladies.

The general thread for all the primal fights (At least through Heavensward) is: Hear about a dude that is very clearly an old FF summon, do some research to discover oh poo poo it's an old legendary hero/god, welp gotta beat it up, how do we beat up a god, I know let's hit it with swords.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dareon posted:

To be fair, only a few of the NPCs have the typical FF player's encyclopedic knowledge of nearly-naked ice ladies.

The general thread for all the primal fights (At least through Heavensward) is: Hear about a dude that is very clearly an old FF summon, do some research to discover oh poo poo it's an old legendary hero/god, welp gotta beat it up, how do we beat up a god, I know let's hit it with swords.
Or in two cases, "let's make a thing to stand on so we can hit it with swords."

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So today I learned that the carbuncle as a vaguely-doggish glowing thing with a gem on its head is actually mythologically accurate.

I honestly didn't expect the particular region the myth came from, either.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

DanielCross posted:

On the subject of Field Notes, do you have to clear every critical engagement/duel, or are there some that you can ignore? (This is all putting aside the fact that I've not yet managed to get into a duel even on the rare occasion I qualify for one)

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm pretty sure every note that's available from a duel is available with atrocious drop rates elsewhere.

Yeah it's this. There are some Field Notes that have a 100% drop rate from duels that have absolutely foul droprates from FATEs or CEs but you don't need to win any duels to get the bike.

I should go back and try to get Sartauvoir's notes again, it's the last one I need. Has anyone been in Southern Front lately that can talk about the activity there?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Chillgamesh posted:

I should go back and try to get Sartauvoir's notes again, it's the last one I need. Has anyone been in Southern Front lately that can talk about the activity there?

I'm there on Excalibur and this instance has been sitting around 60 folks and both CLL's cleared with plenty of time to go.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

DanielCross posted:

iirc the ones available from duels you can also get from the raids/dungeons (pray to the rng gods)

i found ffxivcollect dot com is pretty useful for keeping track of them and figuring out where they drop from (because the in-game interface is atrocious)

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Hell yeah, only 7 field records to go :cool:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Officially a battlementor, will probably never unlock the roulette as I am way too impatient to unlock and clear all those extremes and savages

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Emet-Selch epitomizes the FFXIV villain:

Enters the story at "Who is this rear end in a top hat? What a bastard! Talks too much too. I can't wait to murder him several times over."

By the end: "Goodnight, sweet prince! May you find rest and comfort in the aetherial sea!"

I still give my friend grief over this exact thing. We were hanging out in voice chat while she played through ShB and the whole time it was God I hate this guy, I can't wait until I loving kill him. Oh god no, I miss him I always loved him :cry:

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I feel like I'm the only one who didn't fall in love with that character. They were well-written for sure, I don't deny that. I wanted to murder the genocidal madman right up until the moment I murdered the genocidal madman, though.

I did feel bad for Zenos by the end of EW though, so maybe my tastes just run differently.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

After crushing Covid, the Stormblood LP returns! Let's talk about PIRATES!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I think it's kinda hosed up when people have different opinions to me, to be honest.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mind over Matter posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who didn't fall in love with that character. They were well-written for sure, I don't deny that. I wanted to murder the genocidal madman right up until the moment I murdered the genocidal madman, though.

Oh, you're definitely not alone, although we're a severe minority. I wanted to murder the genocidal madman so much that by the time we finally did I felt like we didn't do it hard enough.

Unfortunately, I feel like the game wanted so hard for us to like them that the story kinda breaks if you keep giving them the scrutiny that their history suggests you should. Pretty much everything we learn about the Ancients and their story is explicitly from Emet's perspective--a perspective of both a known twister of truths and outright liar, who has literally built empires on deceit, and whose perspective even in his own story is from the top. By all rights we shouldn't believe a lick of it, and the Scions imply that's the right idea by visiting Anamnesis to see other perspectives, but Emet and his fake Amaurot are treated as statements of fact despite that. It'd be like if our main source on Ishgard was Archbishop Thordan.

I kept waiting for us to learn that he omitted some horrifying fact about Ancient life, because he absolutely would have!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Sounds like someone didn't like being attacked by the cubus, unlike all us sensible people from the age of paradise who loved it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Consummate Professional posted:

Hell yeah, only 7 field records to go :cool:

My last field record took probably 60% of the time I was collecting. (I'm bad at duels)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cleretic posted:

Oh, you're definitely not alone, although we're a severe minority. I wanted to murder the genocidal madman so much that by the time we finally did I felt like we didn't do it hard enough.

Unfortunately, I feel like the game wanted so hard for us to like them that the story kinda breaks if you keep giving them the scrutiny that their history suggests you should. Pretty much everything we learn about the Ancients and their story is explicitly from Emet's perspective--a perspective of both a known twister of truths and outright liar, who has literally built empires on deceit, and whose perspective even in his own story is from the top. By all rights we shouldn't believe a lick of it, and the Scions imply that's the right idea by visiting Anamnesis to see other perspectives, but Emet and his fake Amaurot are treated as statements of fact despite that. It'd be like if our main source on Ishgard was Archbishop Thordan.

I kept waiting for us to learn that he omitted some horrifying fact about Ancient life, because he absolutely would have!

I mean regarding your spoiler, he left out that they're shockingly callous about the life they create and it's Hythlodaeus who immediately and clearly demonstrates it, and said issue is at a slight remove what causes the entire core conflict of the expansion and game world itself. It's just not hyper-graphic torture baby eating crap.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ibblebibble posted:

I think it's kinda hosed up when people have different opinions to me, to be honest.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

*Seeing different opinions* Wow. Ghibli villain much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mind over Matter posted:

I did feel bad for Zenos by the end of EW though, so maybe my tastes just run differently.

Oh I enjoyed fighting him, to be sure. And was drat proud to kill him.

But as soon as he said "Remember us, that we existed" I was like "I promise, sir! Go now into that gentle sleep!"