Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Jedit posted:

The Big Bus came out four years before Airplane. Did Germany not get a release until the mid 1980s or something? Or is it not part of the progression?

Well, whaddayaknow. It WAS released in Germany in 1976, and Airplane! in 1980, so I guess that makes Bus the first in that line.

For some reason I always had it as after the two Airplanes, because I have a three-DVD-set of those three movies, with Bus on the third disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

Oh yeah, there are definitely a lot of problems with the character in general. I just think the "Supplies!" gag itself is relatively innocuous (in that it's at least subverting the expectations of racist stereotypes instead of just straight up indulging them.)

STUPID

YOU'RE SO STUPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
On somewhat the same topic I watched Independence Day for the first time and discovered that Will Smith doesn't say "Welcome to Earf" like all the memes suggested. He says "Earth" just fine. I guess it was just racism or what?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Kevin DuBrow posted:

On somewhat the same topic I watched Independence Day for the first time and discovered that Will Smith doesn't say "Welcome to Earf" like all the memes suggested. He says "Earth" just fine. I guess it was just racism or what?

Yeah, it was 100% started as a racist thing, then perpetuated by a) racists, and b) people who hadnt seen the movie in years and just assumed he must have said it like the racist meme said, otherwise why would it be written under a picture of him?

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Kevin DuBrow posted:

It's a common misconception. To avoid censorship pressures from the US government over the White House scene, a late script change had Smith say "Earf" to establish the film in an alternate universe. It was Earf, but not for the reason chuds think, and was edited in remasters since evidently the US govt loved the air force propaganda

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Chocolate is really good with the kneeing people in the face action too, but it’s premise is a bit uh problematic

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

the holy poopacy posted:

Oh yeah, there are definitely a lot of problems with the character in general. I just think the "Supplies!" gag itself is relatively innocuous (in that it's at least subverting the expectations of racist stereotypes instead of just straight up indulging them.)

It's almost a shame, because the 'Supplies' joke is genuinely well-constructed as far as jokes go. It just happens to have a racist stereotype as a central component of it.

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Cleretic posted:

It's almost a shame, because the 'Supplies' joke is genuinely well-constructed as far as jokes go. It just happens to have a racist stereotype as a central component of it.

When I saw UHF as a kid, I had no idea about the racist stereotype and just thought it was funny because "supplies" sounds like "surprise" and they're yelling supplies like surprise.

Then again, that only proves it's not racist in the mind of an ignorant white child. And I mean...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The supplies joke may have aged poorly, but fortunately, not everything with the Asian characters is bad. Calling the lady stupid for picking the box is timeless.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Japanese names for the Fast and Furious movies are *fantastic* and way better than the mess that's the original names.

The Fast and the Furious - Wild Speed
2 Fast 2 Furious - Wild Speed X2
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift - Wild Speed X3: Tokyo Drift
Fast & Furious - Wild Speed MAX
Fast Five - Wild Speed MEGA MAX
Fast & Furious 6: Wild Speed - Euro Mission
Furious 7 - Wild Speed: Sky Mission
The Fate of the Furious - Wild Speed: Ice Break
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw - Wild Speed: Super Combo
F9 - Wild Speed: Jet Break

Wild Speed sounds like the greatest video game franchise that never existed.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I like the fact that they thought the franchise would be over after Fast 5 and they had to change naming convention cause they couldn't keep escalating after MEGA MAX.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

If you want to talk about bad translated titles, in Portugal, Despicable Me was named "Grumpy Gru".

I was super mad at the time because I wanted to watch it but I was afraid that being an adult male in my twenties walking up to a theater ticket office and wanting one ticket for "Grumpy Gru" would have someone triggering a silent alarm.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vandar posted:

The Japanese names for the Fast and Furious movies are *fantastic* and way better than the mess that's the original names.

It's funny because Wild Speed Max is like the most low key, chill FF movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AceOfFlames posted:

If you want to talk about bad translated titles, in Portugal, Despicable Me was named "Grumpy Gru".

I was super mad at the time because I wanted to watch it but I was afraid that being an adult male in my twenties walking up to a theater ticket office and wanting one ticket for "Grumpy Gru" would have someone triggering a silent alarm.

Were you also embarrassed to watch Mad Max?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite foreign titles I chanced across in a French video store: Kentucky Fried Movie was "Hamburger Film Sandwich", and Amazon Women on the Moon was "Cheeseburger Film Sandwich".

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Were you also embarrassed to watch Mad Max?

Mad Max?

Oh, you mean Help, we are driving on a crazy truck voyage: MEGA MAX

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vandar posted:

There's also the Italian Job that was called the Wild Car Chase in Norway.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

There's also the Italian Job that was called the Wild Car Chase in Norway.

And The Cannonball Run was The Worlds Craziest Car Race

One I hardly can blame them for is changing the Sandra Bullock movie Miss Congeniality to Miss Undercover (title still in English), I don't think it would have done many rentals in Norway under the original title.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Neito posted:

There's a lot of moments in that movie that are just jokes because there was a few seconds there and they could fill it with punchlines. The match out the window turning into a grenade explosion, "Alright boys, let's take the pictures", the loving mirror scene where Kramer steps through it...

The comedies that age the best are usually the ones that pack the most jokes in IMO. It means that if one joke ages badly it gets replaced by a different one pretty quickly

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

evobatman posted:

And The Cannonball Run was The Worlds Craziest Car Race

In Denmark it was Driving With the Crazies.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Shouldnt Tokyo Drift be California Drift in Japan?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Amusingly I just discovered that Rat Race was apparently called No Brain Race in South Korea.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ambitious Spider posted:

Chocolate is really good with the kneeing people in the face action too, but it’s premise is a bit uh problematic

That movie made me really uncomfortable the entire time, but the action is amazing.

In the 00s, there was a glut of HK movies being released on VHS with their titles changed to something involving Wu Tang. Like, Lord of the Wu Tang, which originally had the far cooler name, Kung Fu Cult Master, and is some weird rear end poo poo with an inexplicable cast. Jet Li, Sammo Hung, and I swear Jackie Chan has a cameo but don’t quote me on that. It starts with a guy exploding his own heart to own his enemies, and never stops going hard. I think it was meant to get a sequel, but the budget was so high that it never came about.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

That movie made me really uncomfortable the entire time, but the action is amazing.

In the 00s, there was a glut of HK movies being released on VHS with their titles changed to something involving Wu Tang. Like, Lord of the Wu Tang, which originally had the far cooler name, Kung Fu Cult Master, and is some weird rear end poo poo with an inexplicable cast. Jet Li, Sammo Hung, and I swear Jackie Chan has a cameo but don’t quote me on that. It starts with a guy exploding his own heart to own his enemies, and never stops going hard. I think it was meant to get a sequel, but the budget was so high that it never came about.
Ah, the original Hong Kong version of Crank.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I think that was when Wu-Tang clan struck a deal to re-release their favorites. Speaking of, highly recommend this book on the history of martial arts film, from the guy who brought us paperbacks from hell.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Ambitious Spider posted:

I think that was when Wu-Tang clan struck a deal to re-release their favorites. Speaking of, highly recommend this book on the history of martial arts film, from the guy who brought us paperbacks from hell.

That is an excellent book and actually mentions infamous bootlegger George Tan, who would go on to release all those Wu Tang tapes under the company name Xenon. He moved into the DVD age with Videoasia and Ground Zero/Xenon, usually stealing prints from Euro releases or just recycling VHS copies. I'm 99% sure he was a one man op most of the time because of the rampant typos on his case art and lazy errors like leaving in the menu screens from stolen content or accidentally recording himself changing the volume.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ambitious Spider posted:

I very much doubt that it's worth the $40 they're asking for it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

Honestly, I don't know. I got the audiobook. If it's anything like Paperbacks from hell, it's probably on pretty great stock with lots of high quality poster reprints.So maybe, if that's your thing? Otherwise, I'd try to get it used or something.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Jedit posted:

And I think pocket trades should still cost <$10, but timeinflation marches on. $40 is middling for short run hardcovers, and I've dropped close to that much on softback trades I couldn't find used that I really wanted.

At least it's not a textbook.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Circling back to someone’s comment on Airplane! from the last page, in Brasil it was titled “Apertem os Cintos, o Piloto Sumiu!” Which is “Fasten your seatbelts, the pilot disappeared”

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
In relevance to the thread title, Chris Claremont is trying to retroactively get Kitty Pride an n-word pass
https://twitter.com/ComicsXF/status/1555694944911822851

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Piell posted:

In relevance to the thread title, Chris Claremont is trying to retroactively get Kitty Pride an n-word pass

Nobody was forcing him to do this, right? Like, he had options. He could have chosen to literally do anything else. Nobody was holding his family ransom.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A fun game you can play with Claremont comics is “is it racism or a fetish?” Of course, it’s often both. My favorite is when a middle-aged white cop and nurse are magically turned into hot Cheyenne teenagers and are just stuck that way. I think they start dating.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Claremont is one of those creators where I keep forgetting he's not dead. Not because I remember him dying, but because his work exists so firmly in the past and he himself comes up so rarely after that point that I just mentally put him in the same category as people like Jack Kirby, and other people who died before I learned the importance of.

And I kinda wish he stayed there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I AM GRANDO posted:

A fun game you can play with Claremont comics is “is it racism or a fetish?” Of course, it’s often both. My favorite is when a middle-aged white cop and nurse are magically turned into hot Cheyenne teenagers and are just stuck that way. I think they start dating.

He's not as bad as Whedon, but is not helping him that A: I associate them anyway, particularly with the 'what seemed progressive was actually just a slightly different set of creepy fetishes than was mainstream at the time, and B: that's a very low bar to clear.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Piell posted:

"I can't be racist, I'm British" is a hell of a take.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The quote retweets on that one are so funny because it's a mixture of people who know who Claremont is going "what?!" and people who do not know who Claremont is going "WHAT?!" Just complete confusion on the part of all parties at this racist comics man.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ambitious Spider posted:

I don't see anything wrong with an autistic girl beating up gangsters to collect on her mother's old gangland loans in order to pay for mom's chemo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj3X-_tEKsw

e. okay, the ice factory scene gets questionable

mllaneza has a new favorite as of 06:34 on Aug 6, 2022

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Fish of hemp posted:

Yes but it has the cool z at the end.
unfortunately the letter z has not aged well recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

mllaneza posted:

I don't see anything wrong with an autistic girl beating up gangsters to collect on her mother's old gangland loans in order to pay for mom's chemo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj3X-_tEKsw

e. okay, the ice factory scene gets questionable

Autistic people are problematic and it's best for polite society to not have them do anything or go anywhere, because shame

Also some young adults diagnosed themselves here years ago, so now nobody is autistic and we should shut up and stop trying to be special or important or something else because abusive boomer parents beat that into our generation