Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The political subtext I take from it is that Reagan's timing means his presidency doesn't realign national politics the same way it did IRL. So they can pretend Ellen is more of a liberal Republican president. Her VP represents the forces Reagan really animated IRL but which aren't as powerful in the show.

She's like a Republican Clinton in a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

bawfuls posted:

The political subtext I take from it is that Reagan's timing means his presidency doesn't realign national politics the same way it did IRL. So they can pretend Ellen is more of a liberal Republican president. Her VP represents the forces Reagan really animated IRL but which aren't as powerful in the show.

She's like a Republican Clinton in a way.

ah, so a clinton

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Grand Fromage posted:

o. I thought Ted replaced Carter.

Jimmy Carter got hosed worse in this timeline than he did in our one, which is saying something, he didn't even get ONE term as President :smith:

Although maybe he got to keep his peanut farm at least? :shobon:

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
If I remember right, last season had a very brief news clip that showed Carter was a senator in the 80s.

I don’t think they mentioned it in the show itself, but the bonus in-between season news clips showed that Al Gore was Hart’s VP and he lost the 92 primary to Clinton. They could bring him back for a Nixon style comeback next season I guess?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
while this season has overall been good (with some stumbles here and there and a few absolute poo poo garbage moments), the story of the DPRK somehow getting to Mars would have been far better, and that ending made me sad we didn't get that show.

this tiny underdog country that absolutely no one expected, kludging together, not only a manned space program, but a successful manned Mars mission, out of obsolete Soviet space technology and dogged determination. an entire season of trying to solve the extreme engineering challenges of a manned Mars mission without any fancy nuclear thermal engines, solar sails, spin gravity, superpower-level industrial capacity and capital, or decades of experience in manned spaceflight. yeeting a guy into deep loving space in an old Soyuz capsule atop a rocket made out of trash and duct tape. basically the writers have created a world where Kerbal Space Program is real and was happening just off screen this whole time. it's completely ridiculous and completely shatters any pretext the show had of being plausible alternate history, but it would also be incredibly entertaining, and using it as an episode-ending plot twist like this just seems like such a goddamn waste.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I really hope they go all in instead of continuing to pretend this is a serious show after doing that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Didn't they mention that Ellen had aligned herself with Atwater?

Cojawfee posted:

The only way we'd see Ellen again after this next episode is if she doesn't run at all or loses the 96 election, and then runs again in 10 years. If she stays as president, she'll be out in 2000, and the next season will likely be in the mid 2000s. If they do go for the Al Gore route, it will probably better to just have the white house be out of the picture entirely. I'm not really sure what Ellen would be able to do on the show though. Modern ex-presidents tend to disappear into the background, though some annoyingly stick around.

Are we sure the show is jumping ahead again that far with Season 4? I'm beginning to suspect we'll not get that big a time jump this time, just because they've not really seeded a future generation and they clearly want to keep Ed, Karen, Danni, etc. involved. (This would be a loving terrible final season for Danni, despite some good stuff in the early and mid season.)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

while this season has overall been good (with some stumbles here and there and a few absolute poo poo garbage moments), the story of the DPRK somehow getting to Mars would have been far better, and that ending made me sad we didn't get that show.

this tiny underdog country that absolutely no one expected, kludging together, not only a manned space program, but a successful manned Mars mission, out of obsolete Soviet space technology and dogged determination. an entire season of trying to solve the extreme engineering challenges of a manned Mars mission without any fancy nuclear thermal engines, solar sails, spin gravity, superpower-level industrial capacity and capital, or decades of experience in manned spaceflight. yeeting a guy into deep loving space in an old Soyuz capsule atop a rocket made out of trash and duct tape. basically the writers have created a world where Kerbal Space Program is real and was happening just off screen this whole time. it's completely ridiculous and completely shatters any pretext the show had of being plausible alternate history, but it would also be incredibly entertaining, and using it as an episode-ending plot twist like this just seems like such a goddamn waste.

You gotta put some big rear end quotes around manned space program here though. If you don't plan to bring the astronaut home or do any serious science on Mars you can probably cut 2/3 of the technology requirements and it becomes a much, much simpler challenge. In real life the Soviet Union managed to land on Mars in the 70s already and what NK did doesn't seem to be substantially more advanced.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Didn't they mention that Ellen had aligned herself with Atwater?

Yep, Karl Rove too. The blackmailing Democrat dude mocked her for trying to hold the moral high ground with him despite happily using both of them to help her get elected, including apparently flooding voters with robocalls about Bill Clinton's affairs.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

You gotta put some big rear end quotes around manned space program here though. If you don't plan to bring the astronaut home or do any serious science on Mars you can probably cut 2/3 of the technology requirements and it becomes a much, much simpler challenge. In real life the Soviet Union managed to land on Mars in the 70s already and what NK did doesn't seem to be substantially more advanced.

A year or so of life support and all the rations, oxygen, and water storage and/or reuse needed for that is a big ask just for a single human. Hell even today if would probably be considered almost impossible to put someone inside something the size of a Soyuz and have them survive a year completely sealed away.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Why would North Korea stay quiet about landing on Mars? That runs counter to how their propaganda works.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mokotow posted:

Why would North Korea stay quiet about landing on Mars? That runs counter to how their propaganda works.

I know they're not quite in the same state as they are in the real world thanks to the Soviets still providing support, but maybe it's a situation like "Glorious Leader played golf once, scored a perfect 18 and never played again!" where they're constantly telling everybody that they sent a cosmonaut to Mars and he's there RIGHT NOW and everybody just smiles and nods and says,"Sure thing buddy," then ignores it!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Mokotow posted:

The guy doesn't look like he's running a flourishing biodome or anything up there. He may not have any communication so the DPRK may think he's dead and wouldn't want to advertise "Hey we slammed a guy into Olympus Mons and killed the poo poo out of him!"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

With how close he is to their landing site it has to be intentional. I think the chances are 50/50 that:
1.NK were going for a first landing victory, not caring about losing the human involved, but had a comms failure at some point which means they don't know the landing actually happened.
2. They were planning on waiting until Helios/NASA leaves and then taking over their current infrastructure before the next Mars crews arrive. In this scenario they could retrospectively claim the first footprint on Mars victory, and also say that they have legit control over the Helios and NASA assets on Mars because they landed in NK territory and were abandoned. In this they wouldn't necessarily be wanting to hold them permanently, it would be about being globally recognised as a major space player.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 6, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I know they're not quite in the same state as they are in the real world thanks to the Soviets still providing support, but maybe it's a situation like "Glorious Leader played golf once, scored a perfect 18 and never played again!" where they're constantly telling everybody that they sent a cosmonaut to Mars and he's there RIGHT NOW and everybody just smiles and nods and says,"Sure thing buddy," then ignores it!

I honestly doubt this is what they went with, but it would be amazing if they had :allears:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Senor Tron posted:

With how close he is to their landing site it has to be intentional. I think the chances are 50/50 that:
1.NK were going for a first landing victory, not caring about losing the human involved, but had a comms failure at some point which means they don't know the landing actually happened.
2. They were planning on waiting until Helios/NASA leaves and then taking over their current infrastructure before the next Mars crews arrive. In this scenario they could retrospectively claim the first footprint on Mars victory, and also say that they have legit control over the Helios and NASA assets on Mars because they landed in NK territory and were abandoned. In this they wouldn't necessarily be wanting to hold them permanently, it would be about being globally recognised as a major space player.

Unless the North Korean has a vehicle, he couldn’t make it to the other landing sites. They had a line about the probe that being out of walking range.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I wonder how many guns are on Mars

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I imagine the writers’ room had some fun working out a “The Martian”-style scenario for the NK guy to have survived on Mars with just a Soyuz lander. We’ll probably hear about it next episode.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Unless the North Korean has a vehicle, he couldn’t make it to the other landing sites. They had a line about the probe that being out of walking range.

He was 80km away.

For NASA/USSR/Helios that's a couple of days in a rover.

For a NK suicide mission that's what, a few days walk?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

He was 80km away.

For NASA/USSR/Helios that's a couple of days in a rover.

For a NK suicide mission that's what, a few days walk?

I don’t think his suit would have enough air for a multiple day walk.

I wonder what this NK’s economy is like since the USSR still exists.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I imagine the writers’ room had some fun working out a “The Martian”-style scenario for the NK guy to have survived on Mars with just a Soyuz lander. We’ll probably hear about it next episode.

I'd love to see a lil montage or something of his journey. I'm worried we won't because of how little we ever see from the USSR: seems like if our main characters aren't in the room, we get nothing.

So I guess I hope he was just hanging out a few miles away from the others' clusterfuck en route and listening in on their radios.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

pokeyman posted:

I'd love to see a lil montage or something of his journey. I'm worried we won't because of how little we ever see from the USSR: seems like if our main characters aren't in the room, we get nothing.

So I guess I hope he was just hanging out a few miles away from the others' clusterfuck en route and listening in on their radios.

The whole time wondering "why don't they speak Korean? The best language of best Korea."

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
lmao, at least this show's now badly written in a fun way as opposed to whatever the gently caress they were doing with the worst of the Danny plotline (he seems to be doing pretty well for someone presumably going through opioid withdrawal but gently caress it that's preferable to more scenes of him being a one note drugged up crazy). My fiancé's pretty disappointed though, he was attracted to this by the prospect of a show about space exploration that was at least semi-serious about space exploration and now we've got loving North Koreans sending a guy in a Soyuz capsule to Mars. He just rolled his eyes at that while I couldn't stop laughing.

Ellen coming out as an inspiring moment and everyone now being okay with Will was also silly in a way I'm happy with, preferable to yet another samey homophobia plotline imho. I 100% do not buy Ed having not been homophobic at any point on screen, but I'd rather have everyone be unrealistically accepting than have to sit through yet more scenes of straights being coddled into showing basic human decency to gay people tbh.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Democratic People’s Republic of Kerbin

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Crameltonian posted:

I 100% do not buy Ed having not been homophobic at any point on screen, but I'd rather have everyone be unrealistically accepting than have to sit through yet more scenes of straights being coddled into showing basic human decency to gay people tbh.

Ed just desperately clinging onto whatever pathetic "1st" he can scrape together at this point, he's in a near panic at the moment about missing his shot at being the first Grandpa on Mars.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I have almost no complaints about the last episode. It was great how ellen and hub went through the list of bad scandal ideas and rejected them (transcripts and redaction, blanking tapes, clintoning) and then going with the actual feelgood solution Ellen doing an Ellen in 1994/95.

Space travel being geopolitically important enough to risk shooting a guy to the moon in case you can salvage him and go (see, WE were first!). It's not really all that silly in context, especially against all the other poo poo going on this season.

The ONE thing that stuck out and made me groan was the off handed comment that DEV single handedly loving solved Fusion power.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Senor Tron posted:

A year or so of life support and all the rations, oxygen, and water storage and/or reuse needed for that is a big ask just for a single human. Hell even today if would probably be considered almost impossible to put someone inside something the size of a Soyuz and have them survive a year completely sealed away.

For reference this is the interior of a Soyuz with a typical cargo load for going to/from the ISS.

Soyuz also has an orbital segment that was used when it was just flying by itself and gives it some more room. That part can't land.

Spacebump posted:

I wonder what this NK’s economy is like since the USSR still exists.

Theoretically it shouldn't be that different, it's 1994 which is where North Korea seriously started collapsing (it was real bad before that, don't get me wrong, but it got a lot, lot worse) without the Soviets propping it up. The USSR is only a bit past its real world expiration date in this universe though, three extra years of support should just mean it's staying at status quo. I wonder if showing it as PRK instead of DPRK was a mistake or they're actually saying North Korea is significantly different for some reason. Unified Korea doesn't make sense, there is no scenario in the world where South Korea joins the north willingly. But that might be more believable than NK having a successful crewed space program sending a guy to Mars in 1994 so who the hell knows.

I rolled my eyes at the bits of China having a program in the 80s but I'm now on board with crazy. Have San Marino build a floating city on Venus.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

pokeyman posted:

This latest episode was only ~45 mins, could those 15 mins be towards a longer season finale? How does Apple TV+ "air time" work? That'd be a little time to spare for a Best Korea montage.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Grand Fromage posted:

For reference this is the interior of a Soyuz with a typical cargo load for going to/from the ISS.

Soyuz also has an orbital segment that was used when it was just flying by itself and gives it some more room. That part can't land.

Pretty sure the orbital module is still there on trips to ISS too.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mister Bates posted:

In this universe, by the time everyone launched their Mars mission twelve countries had space stations deployed. Plenty of space experience to go around.

Plus, fusion can change your industrial capabilities.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Looks like North Korea replaced the orbital module with... something else.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Pretty sure the orbital module is still there on trips to ISS too.

Yeah the dock is on the orbital module, for some reason I thought they just docked directly since you don't really need the orbital module for shuttling to a station. Anyway point remains, poo poo's tiny.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Rappaport posted:

This latest episode was only ~45 mins, could those 15 mins be towards a longer season finale? How does Apple TV+ "air time" work? That'd be a little time to spare for a Best Korea montage.

The finale is 82 minutes long.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nice! :yeah:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Spacebump posted:

This hardass motherfucker stayed alive for over a year in that tiny thing, he can walk a few miles

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They said it was 89 km (55 miles).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah the dock is on the orbital module, for some reason I thought they just docked directly since you don't really need the orbital module for shuttling to a station. Anyway point remains, poo poo's tiny.

I don't think they do direct ascent straight to the space station. Even if they did, there's several hours of slowly moving in towards the station to make sure nothing bad happens. So it's better to have another module they can move into to have more space, rather than just sitting in a tiny capsule. Even if it was just him, it must have still been cramped with all the supplies he'd need for the months of travel. Way worse than sitting in a gemini capsule for 2 weeks.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Yeah put me down for the theory that comms broke an NK had no idea he made it or survived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

If Ed had been first he'd kill that dude for sure.