Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

loving lmao at some goon calling Denali a "tall pile of rock"

just walk up it bro, it can't be that hard

e: I don’t even care that this is a lovely snipe, people die all the loving time for having this attitude about mountain climbing

The Maroon Hawk fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
The better goon mountain derail was that one guy losing his poo poo that people called the Appalachians mountains. They weren't tall enough for him.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Being fair, if your baseline concept of mountains is the rocky or the coastal mountain range, then you tend to be a little skewed for what constitutes a mountain.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

carrionman posted:

An old friend of mine mountaineers and it is absolutely a lifestyle that consumes everything else, every month he doesn't climb is dieting and training for the next mountain. It got him to quit drinking, but I'm not sure if it's exactly a healthier long term alternative

Yeah, I have no idea why people here and on Reddit keep saying, "it's good to have separate hobbies" when mountaineering at that level isn't a loving hobby.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, I have no idea why people here and on Reddit keep saying, "it's good to have separate hobbies" when mountaineering at that level isn't a loving hobby.

They enjoy having time away from their partners and maintaining sizeable life insurance policies

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

AITA for not understanding or wanting to comply with my partner's STRICT "Television Watching Rules?" 📺

quote:

My partner of 15 years has extremely strict "rules" when it comes to watching shows together on TV. Or movies.

We have a 55-inch flatscreen and own a lot of Blu-rays, and he mostly prefers classic media, not new films or streaming.

He has VERY strict "rules" when it's "time to watch:"

1) No talking

He's allowed to talk, b/c he "knows when it gets quiet," or he "knows when something's not important," but I'm not allowed to talk

I can't even comment or ask questions about what we're watching. Makes him upset.

2) All Sci Fi and Horror must be watched at night.

This is tough when it doesn't get dark outside until 9 and you have somewhere to be the next day, or are dying to see something and just don't want to wait.

We have blackout curtains, I can get the house pretty dark

*Also, every light in the house must be off

3) AC usually must be turned off b/c it's "too loud" unless it's, like, 95+ degrees outside

4) No eating or snacking while watching

5) No alcohol consumption b/c then I "won't pay attention to what's going on" or "understand it."

6) If I have to go to the bathroom or answer a call or text, he pauses it, but when I return we have to go back to the beginning of the scene or sequence we were on, not just take it from where it was paused.

7) Shows must be watched in the order in which they aired

*We can't just start with Simpsons Season 5, not unless we've already recently watched seasons 1-4

8) Films also must be watched chronologically, and not "out of order," no matter how many times we've seen them

(If we're watching something from the original trilogy, we have to start with "Star Wars" first. Not "Jedi." Indy? Gotta start with "Raiders," can't do "Holy Grail" first, etc.)

9) We MUST watch the trailer, if there's one available, right before the film. NO EXCEPTIONS.

10) He has to be "in the right mood" before certain movies or films, especially light hearted shows or comedies.

I tell him, hey, put the movie on, maybe it will help you get in a better mood, but no dice.

Some things perhaps to consider:

A. My partner grew up an only child, with his own television in his bedroom. He had very few friends and is not, to this day, particularly social.

Entertainment (music too) seems to mean more and be more important, or significant, to him than most people.

B. I have wondered if he's possibly undiagnosed Neuro-Divergent.

His mother once told me she wished she'd had him tested when he was young, but back then there was more of a Stigma.

If this is the case, I really don't know what to do

*I have told him that watching television should be fun and something you do to relax, and that all his rules really stress me out and take a lot of the joy out of it, but he insists that his rules make it better

I'm really at a loss. Let me know.

quote:

He's a big collector, too, and yes he has "rules" for music. He has to listen to the whole album once he starts it, if we're listening to something together he will pause the song in the middle or start it over so I don't "miss out" if I get up, he likes to play original and remastered versions of the same song back to back to "spot the differences," etc

OP is going to have a heart to heart with him which god bless her. I’d have thrown the TV off of the roof ages ago with those loving rules.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

I live in Alaska and pretty much everyone in the state has walked up Denali. It's easy as hell, we just don't like to brag about it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

run on sentience posted:

The better goon mountain derail was that one guy losing his poo poo that people called the Appalachians mountains. They weren't tall enough for him.

Was this related to the derail about how Montana was a coastal state?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

teen witch posted:

AITA for not understanding or wanting to comply with my partner's STRICT "Television Watching Rules?" 📺

OP knew what she was getting into when she agreed to be Mrs. Ernest Cline.

AITA for taking two showers in the morning while my sister was waiting?

quote:

I went over to my friend’s last night and drank a lot at his house. In the morning I was hungover and drove back to my house. I was feeling tired and out of it from the hangover, so I did what anyone would do and got into the shower then turned the water in cold. Cold showers always fix my hangovers cause they wake you up and also get rid of the tension and sick feeling.

I got out of the shower, but I drank more than I thought because I instantly had to take a poo poo and had pretty bad diarrhea. I thought there’s no way I’m not washing my rear end after this one, so I got back into the shower. That’s when my sister started banging on the door and yelling at me. She yelled “why are you taking 2 showers, what the hell, you’re going to use all the hot water”. “Hold thy temper you impudent wench. For I’m not using any hot water” I said, I usually avoid confrontations by making jokes and responding in funny ways.

She got absolutely pissed, though. My mom said she wouldn’t ground me because I’m going to go back to college soon but said I was acting really rude to my sister and not being mature. All I did was take 2 showers though because I was hungover. She was freaking out on me for no reason, it wasn’t like she was in a rush and needed to be anywhere soon anyway. AITA
The one time one of these guys washes his rear end...

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 6, 2022

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Invisible Clergy posted:

OP knew what she was getting into when she agreed to be Mrs. Ernest Cline.

For real, are these people in arranged marriages or something?

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for removing my daughter's earrings from newly pierced ears

...that is a lot of piercings for a seven year old. And I'm wondering who the mom found that was willing to put three additional piercings per lobe in a kid that young.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I feel like you know what you're doing if you're just chomping down raw garlic at work

Agreed. I could understand eating roasted garlic (that poo poo is delicious), but it'd still result in you stinking of garlic. But just chowing down on raw garlic? I feel like it'd burn, wouldn't it?

kdrudy posted:

Sounds like Jay needed to be self conscious of how he smelled.

Absolutely. How has no one talked to him about it?

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

That was my first thought too, but it's not:

IOwnCalculus posted:

I suspect this is what the GF has issue with. H. pylori infection is a very real thing but taking a partial course of antibiotics seems like a great way to ensure that poo poo is going to be loving you up for a very long time.

Yeah, I'm betting the naturopaths and refusing to take a full course of antibiotics is why the GF isn't believing him about it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

His parents have spent two and a half months at sea:

Possibly not all at once, but yeah, I'm betting that he's gone with them at least three times for it to be a tradition.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't understand how people frequently go to bed without showering. I feel itchy all night if I don't.
If I haven't been working that day and I didn't sweat much, then I'll skip showering before bed. But I always, always shower after work or I'm sticky with sweat.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Hughlander posted:

AITA for not wearing a bra to sleep on family vacation

quote:

my aunt proceeded to take her shirt and bra off during dinner in front of my other aunt and her husband.

u wot

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

teen witch posted:

OP is going to have a heart to heart with him which god bless her. I’d have thrown the TV off of the roof ages ago with those loving rules.

Cook and eat some garlic sprouts before sitting down to watch a movie with him, and then let the magic happen.

I noticed there's no rule against uncontrollable, prolonged farting.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

edogawa rando posted:

Cook and eat some garlic sprouts before sitting down to watch a movie with him, and then let the magic happen.

I noticed there's no rule against uncontrollable, prolonged farting.

ah, the true goon answer

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Larry Parrish posted:

they should rename it tacobell

Yeah but if someone died while climbing it that'd kinda put a damper on the whole "Live Más" slogan

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
just put a question mark after it, maybe one of those upside down ones too for authentic tex mex flavor

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Gf is threatening to break up need your opinion

quote:

Me (23M) and my gf(22F) have been together for 5 years we are very close and her brother has issues with his kidney I’m not to sure what exactly but I know he needs a transplant. My gf got tested and she was not a match she asked me to get tested without knowing anything about her brother. And I am a match, she is now pressuring me to donate my kidney to her brother. And I don’t really want too as complications that would come about later in my life. She is threatening me that she’ll break up with me if I don’t save her brother.

Tldr (Ik I’m going to get downvoted a lot but idc I just want to know what’s to do and am I an rear end in a top hat for thinking about my future)

Edit: Ps I know this is a hard time for her and I understand why she’s saying this but idk if I should stay with her or not.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
"give my brother your kidney" is a new take on an old classic

But seeing how they're 23 and have been together since they were 18, chances are absolutely not great that they're gonna be together for much longer anyway

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
What's crazy to me is they have been together 5years and he doesn't know her brother at all.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
General Bullshit > r/relationships: “Hold thy temper you impudent wench"

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Hurt and unsure about a prank

quote:

I (M 35) love my wife (29). We have been together for seven years. When we were dating she did some stuff and cheated on me, but we got over that. So we finally got married half a year ago. It was what she wanted, but I must confess it was wonderful. I thought anything bad was behind us and we were really trying to have a baby.

Until few days ago. While I was at work, almost two hours before I was going to be home, she sent me a text: “Ok I'm ready, are you downstairs? I got like an hour or so tho“. I instantly felt I was not meant to be the recipient of that text. She called me five minutes after. I needed to work, so I did not want to get into that thing at that time.

I ignored her call. She called several times more. I did not pick up. Once I got home, she was obviously nervous. She had done chores, that obviously took time, it felt kind of to prove that she had no time to meet anyone.

She told me that she had tried to prank me by sending me that message. She usually doesn't try to prank me. I asked her to tell me the truth, she doubled down on the pranking thing. I felt horrible. She tried to show me some videos from her phone, supposedly of a similar prank. I was not able to interact with that. Did not watch them and felt that she only found something to cover her after the fact.

So next morning I went to work again. She called me a few times, I did not feel like answering . I wrote to her: „You are not telling me the truth. I would prefer if you did, or not be there when I get home.“ She replied that I was being unreasonable.

When I got home she was wearing a dress she knows I like. She had prepared a dinner that she knows I like. She cried to me, telling that it all was only a prank. I told her that I don't believe her. Then she left to go to her mother's. She tried to call me a bunch of times and sent me texts about getting a divorce and me being horrible, by not trusting her.

So am I being a moron by blowing up my marriage and not trusting my wife or is my marriage really not what I thought?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for taking two showers in the morning while my sister was waiting?

“Hold thy temper you impudent wench. For I’m not using any hot water” I said, I usually avoid confrontations by making jokes and responding in funny ways.

I hate this person.

Even without that they are still an rear end in a top hat for taking 2 showers while people are waiting for the bathroom.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
"i was not able to interact with that" is an amazing phrase

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

teen witch posted:

quote:

8) Films also must be watched chronologically, and not "out of order," no matter how many times we've seen them

(If we're watching something from the original trilogy, we have to start with "Star Wars" first. Not "Jedi." Indy? Gotta start with "Raiders," can't do "Holy Grail" first, etc.)

trembling in fear every time a new Bond film comes out as my partner loving caresses his copy of Dr No

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ad090 posted:

So, you know, why did you mary this person? For half her stuff?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

ad090 posted:

did some stuff and cheated on me, you know, the way people do

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

ad090 posted:

You know, if someone who had cheated on me before pranked me by making me think they were cheating on me again, I feel like it wouldn't really matter if that was true or if they were actually cheating, the relationship would be over in either case.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for trying to end a prank war between my boyfriend and his best friend?

quote:

I (34f) recently moved in with my bf (36m) to a house that he has owned for nearly five years. Every year on their birthdays, my bf “Larry” and his childhood best friend “Moe” (36m) pull a prank on one another which involves gaining access to the other persons house and “bombing” it with some kind of parody decor. Usually it’s a giant brass representation of male genitalia or a poster of a still shot from a 90s movie that will randomly be up in the middle of the living room when Larry gets home. That kind of prank I find funny and harmless in the abstract and it’s something I can get behind, and leave up at least temporarily in the spirit of the prank war.

This year for Larry’s birthday we went away for six days. While we were gone, Moe gained access to the house with the door code and hung up a pretty funny tapestry of a still from a popular and nostalgic 90s movie in the center of the living room. It was very crude and clashed horribly with the Mediterranean eclectic aesthetic that I have been investing time and money into trying to cultivate, but in the spirit of the prank war we all had a good laugh. The tapestry was heavy and fell down on its own so I sort of folded it and put it to the side so that we could reference it at parties and among guests but not really have to look at it in the interim.

Then Moe told us that there were more elements to the prank, elements that would gradually be revealed to us over the course of days as we continued living in the house. We searched the house and found nothing. We asked him to please explain to us what he did. He refuses to say but will only say “it’s big” and we will notice it soon.

My boyfriend says Moe is likely bluffing and there is probably no second act to the prank. I do not know him well enough to say. In the meantime I remain fundamentally uncomfortable with the idea of someone entering my home, changing things around, and refusing to admit what they did. The possibility that Moe didn’t do a second prank is all the weirder. What kind of weird psychological dominance is he vying for by inventing a fake prank and sowing doubt in our minds as to the extent of his presence in our home?

I do not want to undermine this longstanding male bonding experience and I respect that sharing a space with my boyfriend may sometimes mean sharing a space with his friends. However I do feel that the second “fake” prank takes things a step too far. Added context is that Larry did not pull a prank this year as Moe moved in with his parents and Larry felt uncomfortable pulling a prank in their home. Also Moe took the time to pull the prank while we were away but refused to check in on my cat, who I had to relocate for the week. Maybe I just don’t like him and am acting on personal animosity here. I’m struggling with the idea that I’m being too neurotic and killing otherwise harmless fun.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for asking my boyfriend to change the door code?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

quote:

Mediterranean eclectic aesthetic

YTA

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Yeah but if someone died while climbing it that'd kinda put a damper on the whole "Live Más" slogan

Live Más, die más.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA For laughing at my stepsister for wanting to be my maid of honor and telling her that I will never see her as my real family?

quote:

My mama married my stepdad “Pete” when I was 10, but he and his daughter “Lacey” had lived with us since I was 9. (Lacey is a year younger than me, for reference.) Lacey really is not a good person and I’m not sure why since Pete is a good person (I’ve never met Lacey’s mom.) Lacey would say stuff like “Ew! You look/sound like a TRANS guy!” She also used “autistic” as an insult and once when my friend was teaching me ASL Lacey saw us and said “Why are you flapping your arms? Y’all look like r*tarded kids.” In middle school, Lacey made fun of me often and mama and Pete would say it was just Lacey’s sense of humor and she didn’t mean any harm. She stopped in high school because then our parents put their foot down with Lacey, but Lacey still made fun of kids at school and she honestly hasn’t changed much since middle school. It’s why Lacey and I have no relationship and I only see her as Pete’s bio kid and not my sister.

I am getting married in September, but my fiance and I have been planning our wedding since 2020. (We were engaged in January, but we decided to wait to have our wedding after the pandemic and some other personal events.) We had confirmed all our bridesmaids and maid of honor since the beginning of this year. Lacey asked to meet at our parents’s house and showed up in this extravagant white dress while saying that I should tell my bridesmaids to get similar dresses because she wanted them to match the maid-of-honor (herself.) Again, our wedding is in a month and Lacey hadn’t even asked me about being a bridesmaid. I laughed out loud because I honestly thought it was a joke. I realized Lacey was serious and I told her that there must have been a misunderstanding because my best friend, “Aurora” is my maid-of-honor. Lacey started saying some really vile stuff about Aurora and that she was supposed to be the maid-of-honor because she’s family. I told Lacey that she has an ugly attitude and that I will never see her as my real family because she acts like people are below her. Lacey started yelling at me, but I told her I wasn’t dealing with her and left. My fiance and friends say that Lacey was being seriously entitled and I don’t owe her to let her be my maid-of-honor especially when she’s always been so nasty. But my parents said that what I told Lacey was cruel. Because even though we didn’t get along well for most of our lives, Lacey reaching out to be my maid-of-honor is a sign she wants to have a bigger role in my life. Mama and Pete said I was wrong when I told Lacey I don’t see her as my real family, and I am implying that stepfamily can’t be real family. I didn’t and still don’t see my statement to Lacey that way, because it was about Lacey's attitude and not her being a stepsister. But since mama and Pete both saw it that way, I’m not sure if I was being out of line. AITA?

but OP, she wants to have a bigger role in your life

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA For laughing at my stepsister for wanting to be my maid of honor and telling her that I will never see her as my real family?

The role of Maid of Honor who wears an extravagant white dress to your wedding.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

Sean Bean has had a lot of big roles, just saying.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Foo Diddley posted:

quote:

Lacey really is not a good person and I’m not sure why since Pete is a good person

Narrator: Pete was not that good of a person

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Sometimes kids just turn out bad. The vibes were off.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for being upset at my fiance for what he said during a game at his friend's house?

quote:

TA account

My (28F) fiance Flynn's (27M) dad died when his mom was pregnant and she raised him by herself. She remarried when he was 19. So last night one of Flynn's work friends invited us over for dinner and afterwards we were just chatting and playing games. There were these flashcards that asked questions like, "what's your most embarrassing moment" or "what movie represents your life" etc, and we were taking turns answering them. When it got to Flynn's turn the question was "what's a real life love story you know to rival any reel ones". I thought he'd say us, but he went on about his parents and all these hardships they had to face, and how his mom didn't remarry until recently. When we went home, I told him that his answer to that question should've been us. He said that his mom and dad's story is one that he loves, but I told him that he's never even met his dad and he's putting some hypothetical story over our current one. He got pissed and said it was just a game, but I said that now I know where he really stands about us. Flynn said I was a brat and disrespectful, but I think he's the one being disrespectful. Was I the AH?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

r/relationships: it clashed horribly with the Mediterranean eclectic aesthetic that I’ve been trying to cultivate

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I know a good party game they could play next time. It's called Assholes & Acid Vats.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

run on sentience posted:

I know a good party game they could play next time. It's called Assholes & Acid Vats.

Ooh cynthia, your goal to make the wedding all about you is something the bride was prepared for, so you'll have to make your demand check to be included in the bridal party with disadvantage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Agents are GO! posted:

Was this related to the derail about how Montana was a coastal state?

lmao what

i mean, in like a hundred years maybe, but that's a big jump of the gun. someone please link me to this