Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Like what if Trek just quietly introduced two-headed Klingons? Like they're ogres from Warcraft 2 or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

bltzn posted:

If you actually look at the discovery klingons they didn't change much with the redesign. The only differences are:

1. different skin tone (so what)
2. lack of hair (so what, klingons can be bald if they want plus metal hair came back in vogue in s2)
3. double nostrils (original design actually already had this, they just turned it up a notch)
4. more fused ears (so what)
5. elongated skull (so what)

Things that are the most distinguishing features:
1. forehead ridges

Things that did not change:
1. forehead ridges

In conclusion: god shut the gently caress up you nerds

wrong

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Things the definitely aren't nerdy: an enumerated list of Klingon features over time

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.

The Bloop posted:

Things the definitely aren't nerdy: an enumerated list of Klingon features over time

a vulcan hello

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The thing that nobody seems to be talking about with the Klingon redesign is that it doesn't matter because I didn't watch that show. Them reversing course on it and going back to classic Klingons is fine because it means that nothing actually changed (for me).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bltzn posted:

If you actually look at the discovery klingons they didn't change much with the redesign. The only differences are:

1. different skin tone (so what)
2. lack of hair (so what, klingons can be bald if they want plus metal hair came back in vogue in s2)
3. double nostrils (original design actually already had this, they just turned it up a notch)
4. more fused ears (so what)
5. elongated skull (so what)

Things that are the most distinguishing features:
1. forehead ridges

Things that did not change:
1. forehead ridges

In conclusion: god shut the gently caress up you nerds

Here's a thing the Discovery klingons didn't have that other kingons did: the ability to emote and make facial expressions.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah the worst part about the S1 Disco Klingons is their mush-mouths dragging scenes through molasses

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, doing a shitton of dialogue in Klingon was a big issue but also the sheer amount of makeup and appliances on the Discovery Klingons made them both hard to differentiate and hard for the actors to emote. If I look at TNG era Klingon, I can generally recognize the character because I can see most of the (real) face, there's distinctive costuming and hairstyles to each named character. With the Disco ones, it's just a lot harder for me to figure out who I'm looking at.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

bltzn posted:

a vulcan hello

A Klingon mockery of a Vulcan hello: "Avoid death and cower."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A Vulcan wake up call. We send Pivek into your room and he beats the poo poo out of you if you aren't up already. From then on you'll be awake on time, it is only logical.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah, doing a shitton of dialogue in Klingon was a big issue but also the sheer amount of makeup and appliances on the Discovery Klingons made them both hard to differentiate and hard for the actors to emote. If I look at TNG era Klingon, I can generally recognize the character because I can see most of the (real) face, there's distinctive costuming and hairstyles to each named character. With the Disco ones, it's just a lot harder for me to figure out who I'm looking at.

How much of that was on purpose though, so we could all be surprised by Tyler. If Tyler had been a TNG klingon that never would have worked.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

For all the well-deserved poo poo Discovery gets, some of its ancillary characters are great. I really enjoyed both the characters of the Federation President and Dadmiral Chief of the Fleet.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Facebook Aunt posted:

How much of that was on purpose though, so we could all be surprised by Tyler. If Tyler had been a TNG klingon that never would have worked.

From what I remember of the thread everyone figured it out about an hour after the first Tyler episode aired because of the completely empty imdb for the alleged Klingon actor.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Kling Fandango

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

8one6 posted:

From what I remember of the thread everyone figured it out about an hour after the first Tyler episode aired because of the completely empty imdb for the alleged Klingon actor.

That's true but that's not how a normal person would watch television

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What's a normal person??

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

feedmyleg posted:

What's a normal person??

A normal person is a spheroid 705 meters in diameter.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wee Bairns posted:

For all the well-deserved poo poo Discovery gets, some of its ancillary characters are great. I really enjoyed both the characters of the Federation President and Dadmiral Chief of the Fleet.

Oded Fehr is one eternally good looking dude

I also liked the hereditary lieutenant in the first future episode

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's weird because the Jason Isaacs twist was far more interesting and also teased quite well.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Professor Beetus posted:

A normal person is a spheroid 705 meters in diameter.

Oh good, there's nothing wrong with me.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

feedmyleg posted:

What's a normal person??

Ugly bag of mostly water.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

Ugly bag of mostly water.

:emptyquote:

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Wee Bairns posted:

David Cronenberg deserved a better star trek series.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Phy posted:

I also liked the hereditary lieutenant in the first future episode

Actually one of the biggest problems with Discovery in my opinion is that they keep introducing amazing ideas like that and then just... drop them.

Like, there's a whole new (and significantly more mercantile) star empire in control of all the planets and it looks like our fish out of water time travellers will have to learn to navigate these troubled waters.

There are isolated remnants of the federation left behind. What has happened in these pockets, where federation values have broken down or been corrupted over time, or maintained at what cost?

A crime boss is offering a fraught compromise with federation authorities in a time of great upheaval and change. There will surely be consequences for defying this powerful individual, especially when the federation is in its weakened state.

All of these are super interesting ideas that just go... nowhere.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like that dude with the glasses who looks like future Martin Scorsese or something

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

That's the biggest thing I can articulate when people ask me why I dislike Disco compared to old Trek. I was going through the Memory Alpha behind the scenes info for DS9, so many episodes came about because the writers were like "why don't we do an episode exploring what would happen if..."

The Disco writers' room isn't interested in exploring anything that isn't required to move the plot from A to B, and anything else is left behind and discarded. This is probably great if you're a plot-oriented tv watcher, but for me personally that's not why I watch Star Trek. I like the character studies and sci-fi morality stories, and Disco largely doesn't care about those, it just cares about moving the story forward.

I think it ties into the popular complaints about how the bridge crew are still cardboard cutouts 4 seasons in. They only ever get screen time when they have to say their 2.5 lines of backstory that just happen to relate to this week's plot, or when it's time to kill one of them off.

Caveat: I dropped the show this season after the episode where Tilly left so maybe this was all fixed.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

G-III posted:

David Cronenberg deserved a better star trek series.

I have no idea why he took that role. Did he need a few bucks or something? Is he a fan?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arrinien posted:

Caveat: I dropped the show this season after the episode where Tilly left so maybe this was all fixed.

lol

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Arrinien posted:

That's the biggest thing I can articulate when people ask me why I dislike Disco compared to old Trek. I was going through the Memory Alpha behind the scenes info for DS9, so many episodes came about because the writers were like "why don't we do an episode exploring what would happen if..."

The Disco writers' room isn't interested in exploring anything that isn't required to move the plot from A to B, and anything else is left behind and discarded. This is probably great if you're a plot-oriented tv watcher, but for me personally that's not why I watch Star Trek. I like the character studies and sci-fi morality stories, and Disco largely doesn't care about those, it just cares about moving the story forward.

I think it ties into the popular complaints about how the bridge crew are still cardboard cutouts 4 seasons in. They only ever get screen time when they have to say their 2.5 lines of backstory that just happen to relate to this week's plot, or when it's time to kill one of them off.

Its because it would take time away Burnham screen time.
I would love to see something like that episode where Riker gets temp swapped to the Klingon ship.
You could have one of the non-Burnham's try to adapt to a fully holographic crew, a Ferengi, a new Earth/Titan crew, ex-Emerald badguys who I cant remember.
While conversely you would have someone trying to fit into Discovery, someone with 32nd tech and mannerisms, constantly complaining how loving old everything is.
Yeah Adria is 32nd but thats not explored in any way

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It really is amazing how much they wanted Burnham to be Poochie

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Everything in the 32nd century seems to be identical but with programmable matter so there’s nothing to explore

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Also the programmable matter is pointless :buddy:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Correction: the writers aren't creative or bold enough to do something meaningful with it! :eng101:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

One would hope storytelling was its original point, which absolutely did not play out, no

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

holefoods posted:

Everything in the 32nd century seems to be identical but with programmable matter so there’s nothing to explore

There are plenty of isolated populations that have been restricted to a single star system for the last century. What have those guys been up to? How did they cope? How many big empires have been shattered into small fiefdoms, and how will they react to the return of dilithium? The show just doesn't care.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Brawnfire posted:

Whoa now, sometimes you can push your enemies into it and kill them somehow(?)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

One would hope storytelling was its original point, which absolutely did not play out, no

Shame too, because I read a book a couple years ago on synthetic biology and the potential frontiers for programmable matter and it made it sound rad as poo poo all the things you could potentially do with it that didn't hopefully at least end in Grey Goo.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Brawnfire posted:

at least it prevents us from having another Picard’s emergency joystick scenario

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think my biggest complaint about 32nd century technology in Discovery is that every interface is a floaty blue hologram, which was already the case in the 23rd century, with the only difference being that you can conjure them anywhere instead of only on the ship. Programmable matter displays would be so much cooler, even if it is used, in practice, exactly how the holograms are. I don't care that actors are jabbing at thin air to solve problems, I just want it to be floating bits of metal instead of a blue rectangle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

Not a chance

It was "what could the super future past TNG era look like?" for a preTOS prequel show that already basically did that.

Nothing about Discovery was storytelling first, it was whiz bang stupid poo poo all the way down

The wonkavator in the turbolift dimension was about the "storytelling" of a fistfight aboard a wonkavator in the turbolift dimension