Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
89’s predator was wearing contact lenses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
watched lightyear and thought it was pretty dang good. much better than toy story 4 (which isn't saying much). dropping some legit sci-fi plots on the kids. 7/10.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sandman: Cereal Cenvention is still the worst pun and the only thing I was hoping would be changed for the series. What a groaner

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I watched one and a half episodes of Sandman with a buddy but cut it short because his wife and her boyfriend started fighting

Please tell me Amanda Palmer doesn’t show up because I can’t handle being interrupted by another “not like other girls”

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is the Sandman show actually good? What's it comparable to?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It’s a little dry tonally. Cramming a lot of worldbuilding in a short amount of time. Never read the books personally. Kinda reminds of the trailer for Dark Tower (never watched)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

feedmyleg posted:

It's a faithful recreation of the world's second favorite goth' live journal.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/5FNz8ZsFxgM

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

feedmyleg posted:

I watched the first episode and kinda hated it. The lead was seemingly cast because he has a decent voice and kinda looks like the way the character was drawn, but he's got a real awkward screen presence and not in a good way. The first episode covers about the first 5 pages of the comic so it seems like they're really stretching as hard as they can.

I'd agree with "the trailers for The Dark Tower" as a point of comparison. Worth comparing to American Gods, but it's not a favorable comparison. AG wasn't great but they took risks and the show underneath the adaptation was at least alright, some good casting, some good shots, people were trying. This feels very perfunctory.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Baron von Eevl posted:

I watched the first episode and kinda hated it. The lead was seemingly cast because he has a decent voice and kinda looks like the way the character was drawn, but he's got a real awkward screen presence and not in a good way. The first episode covers about the first 5 pages of the comic so it seems like they're really stretching as hard as they can.

I'd agree with "the trailers for The Dark Tower" as a point of comparison. Worth comparing to American Gods, but it's not a favorable comparison. AG wasn't great but they took risks and the show underneath the adaptation was at least alright, some good casting, some good shots, people were trying. This feels very perfunctory.

FWIW I think the main character is the worst part of the show, but I generally considered him the dullest part of the book too. I'm on episode 6 and am really satisfied with the series so far, the first episode was WAY too heavy on exposition.

I was also pretty genuinely infuriated that they changed the ending from I give you "Eternal walking" to I give you "eternal sleep". The concept of constantly waking from a nightmare scared the poo poo out of me the first time I read it.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Prey owns. Seconding that I wish they'd pumped a bit more money into it and given it a theatrical release.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

This is where I'm at. First episode really had no reason to stretch that out over the course of an hour. Willing to give the show a few more episodes but it all feels really cheap and sanitized compared to the source material.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Prey was really good. Imagine putting build-up in your movie and letting scenes breathe. Jurassic World: Dominion was such a gigantic pile of dinosaur poo poo.

Loved the brief bit where the three trappers fired their muskets and then there was a split second pause as both sides realized they needed to reload. I loved her anime rope-axe, too. Very cool looking effect.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

I watched one and a half episodes of Sandman with a buddy but cut it short because his wife and her boyfriend started fighting

Hold up

Kalko posted:

Prey was really good. Imagine putting build-up in your movie and letting scenes breathe. Jurassic World: Dominion was such a gigantic pile of dinosaur poo poo.

Loved the brief bit where the three trappers fired their muskets and then there was a split second pause as both sides realized they needed to reload. I loved her anime rope-axe, too. Very cool looking effect.

Prey was a really pleasant surprise. I was expecting half-assed, embarrassing and poorly-shot junk but it was just really well done all around.

I couldn’t stand Dominion and gave up on it after about 15 minutes. It was made with all the money in the world and turned out exactly how I was worried Prey would.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 6, 2022

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Prey is great. Anyone on the fence should watch.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Spacebump posted:

Prey is great. Anyone on the fence should watch.

For anyone who has watched Prey, do any dogs or animals get hurt? I’d heard there was a dog in it and am not in the mood to watch any animal suffering right now.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 6, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

You can always check does the dog die dot com

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

frogbs posted:

For anyone who has watched Prey, do any dogs or animals get hurt? I’d heard there was a dog in it and am it in the mood to watch any animal suffering right now.

On dogs
A dog gets his foot caught in a trap, it isn't bad compared to how they could have gone. He whimpers a little but the film doesn't linger on it.

On other animals
the Predator skins a snake on screen, kills a few animals offscreen, and fights a bear. A bird is shot with an arrow from distance. The dog catches a small animal at one point.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 6, 2022

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

A MIRACLE posted:

You can always check does the dog die dot com

Spacebump posted:

On dogs
A dog gets his foot caught in a trap, it isn't bad compared to how they could have gone. He whimpers a little but the film doesn't linger on it.

On other animals
the Predator skins a snake on screen, kills a few animals offscreen, and fights a bear. A bird is shot with an arrow from distance. The dog catches a small animal at one point.

Thank you both!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm a dumb person and bad poster, but I'm enjoying the new Beavis and Butt-Head a lot.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

frogbs posted:

For anyone who has watched Prey, do any dogs or animals get hurt? I’d heard there was a dog in it and am not in the mood to watch any animal suffering right now.

Honestly I would avoid it if I were you.

A wolf gets disemboweled by the predator onscreen and then has it's spine/head ripped off.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, it’s a movie called Prey, there’s a whole little sequence showing a cute bug eaten by a cute mouse who’s eaten by a mean snake, not to mention the hard cut from fun axe throwing montage to a hike with a bunch of skinned rabbits. A bunch of critters get the business in that movie.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

B-Rock452 posted:

Honestly I would avoid it if I were you.

A wolf gets disemboweled by the predator onscreen and then has it's spine/head ripped off.

I forgot about that scene. Crap. frogbs you should read that spoiler. I apologize if you started the movie and that part bothered you.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Spacebump posted:

I forgot about that scene. Crap. frogbs you should read that spoiler. I apologize if you started the movie and that part bothered you.

No worries! And thanks Spacebump! I'm gonna avoid it for the time being. Thanks all!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Joe Pera just popped up in Search Party and that makes me very happy.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Alan Smithee posted:

his wife and her boyfriend started fighting

lmao

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

veni veni veni posted:

Primitive predator was kind of funny tbh. He's got a spaceship and active camo and thermal vision and laser guided...arrows, and a shield that no one can help themselves from shooting at vs the other 90% of his body that is exposed. And he looked all stupid and couldn't see with his mask off. I don't remember that being a thing with predator and that seems like a lot of evolution for 300 years especially considering they had mastered intergalactic flight at that point.

10/10 mask though. should have left it on.

I kind of assumed the predator was deliberately limiting his tech to be like, only slightly unfair instead of godmode, but eh

Though they still kinda do the inverse ninja thing where he's unstoppable when facing down 30 guys all shooting at him at once and then only slightly holds his own against one to two people holding sticks

Still the third and possibly second best Predator movie by a huge margin though

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

theres a better plot in that sentence than like half the crap on these streaming platforms

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Steve Yun posted:

89’s predator was wearing contact lenses

I always thought the part where the original predator takes off his mask and you see that he just sees pure red naturally was such a cool visual and then no other predator movie ever did it again

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I was kind of hoping they would do something different than the thermal vision but I guess it's kind of a trademark at this point. Like it's several hundred years in the past but they have that poo poo perfected already, at least make it not quite as good as the modern day predators or something

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Predator was close to forty years ago

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay I finished Sandman season 1

The first episode is TERRIBLE

It vastly improves over the course of the next few episodes because they drop the narration and they get less preoccupied with overexplaining things

It’s decent now with a few flashes here and there of overexplaining things. Actors are fine but the directing could be better. Changes and new story elements are not bad. Sandman needs to be more dour still I think.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

There was a part in Prey where the main character got covered in mud, and I thought it was going to be a Predator callback, then next scene she's washing it off. I chuckled.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

A Proper Uppercut posted:

There was a part in Prey where the main character got covered in mud, and I thought it was going to be a Predator callback, then next scene she's washing it off. I chuckled.

But instead there are magical flowers which render her invisible to the Predator!

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Wolfsheim posted:

I kind of assumed the predator was deliberately limiting his tech to be like, only slightly unfair instead of godmode, but eh

Though they still kinda do the inverse ninja thing where he's unstoppable when facing down 30 guys all shooting at him at once and then only slightly holds his own against one to two people holding sticks

Still the third and possibly second best Predator movie by a huge margin though

Yeah, it's a "fairness" thing, the pred goes hand-to-hand with animals that have no ranged offense, but the humans have bows and muskets, so they get the full arsenal. This still isn't fair but Predators have never been fair.

Steve Yun posted:

Okay I finished Sandman season 1

The first episode is TERRIBLE

It vastly improves over the course of the next few episodes because they drop the narration and they get less preoccupied with overexplaining things

It’s decent now with a few flashes here and there of overexplaining things. Actors are fine but the directing could be better. Changes and new story elements are not bad. Sandman needs to be more dour still I think.

There is a real chance imo that the first ep got notes and the first time we were originally going to hear Morpheus speak was at the end, the voiceover explaining his thought process seems to be added later and the other voiceovers explained poo poo seems unnecessary. The scene with Charles Dance and Boyd Holbrook has all the exposition that was needed, but I guess someone got worried things were confusing.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Add a budget to Prey and you get Horizon Zero Dawn real fast. Please do that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

magiccarpet posted:

The HZD story is too complicated. What is cool about Predator is how streamlined it is. I would love to see a predator movie set in a different time and place every few years in the model of Prey.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

magiccarpet posted:

This was exactly my feeling. Trachtenberg would be a perfect director for it especially given he got noticed from a Portal fan film.

It even inspired me to continue my Forbidden West playthrough after the movie and it was a perfect vibe pairing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Only issue with Prey is the same one as I have with pretty much any period piece, man they have super white teeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm a dumb person and bad poster, but I'm enjoying the new Beavis and Butt-Head a lot.

Liking Beavis and Butthead is actually a sign of highly advanced intelligence

I'm not really even joking