Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

someone who wasnt stupid enough to make their real name their twitter username should ask the lib if this means that afrikanners and other whites should get their own country in south africa since they're so against black rule

:trumppop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I find it disgusting that propaganda featuring masked villains threatening people's way of life is being pumped directly into children's eyeballs.

Btw, anyone see the new thor?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

unwantedplatypus posted:

It would still be a firmly pro-independence move that could provoke the PRC into retaliating. That's why they don't change any of the imagery despite pro-independence factions being in power.

a pro-independence move. like allowing the speaker of the US House of Representatives to visit against mainland objections? seems like they’re perfectly fine making those

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

green party gunna green

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

someone who wasnt stupid enough to make their real name their twitter username should ask the lib if this means that afrikanners and other whites should get their own country in south africa since they're so against black rule

They'd just say no, because they were settlers. The real question to ask is what should happen to the Chinese settlers still in Taiwan.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Antonymous posted:

green party psychos would say that KMT rule was colonization by mainlanders yes

going by that lady’s argument the DPP achieving independence (by whatever means, not important) wouldn’t actually restore sovereignty to Taiwan, especially since indigenous Taiwanese participation in elected government is pretty small afaik

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

indigi posted:

a pro-independence move. like allowing the speaker of the US House of Representatives to visit against mainland objections? seems like they’re perfectly fine making those

1) There was internal dissent even within the DPP on this

2) It resulted in retaliation from China

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Just imagine the CSA holding onto the Sea Islands or something and Britain and France promoting their independence as indigenous lands, never conquered by the Yankees.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Atrocious Joe posted:

They'd just say no, because they were settlers. The real question to ask is what should happen to the Chinese settlers still in Taiwan.

depopulating 98% of taiwan before granting it independence sounds like a winning move to me

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Just imagine the CSA holding onto the Sea Islands or something and Britain and France promoting their independence as indigenous lands, never conquered by the Yankees.

they didnt even try lol, all the planation owners fled at the first sight of a union gunboat and they were solidly in union possession before 1861 was out

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

"Bangladesh should go back to Pakistan"

"North korea should go back to South Korea"

"South sudan should go back to Sudan"

etc

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

indigi posted:

going by that lady’s argument the DPP achieving independence (by whatever means, not important) wouldn’t actually restore sovereignty to Taiwan, especially since indigenous Taiwanese participation in elected government is pretty small afaik

yah Taiwan, like the americas, has like 500 years of colonization history where the native people usually don't end up in charge

Dutch/Spanish colonized the aboriginal people who themselves were pretty fractured into different cultures. Then in 1662 the Ming came and tried to hold it out from the Qing (historical parallel). The qing got it in 1683 and eventually made it a province, and this period is when the west coast became sinicized. Then the japanese took it in 1895. Then the ROC took it in 1945 and moved over their government in exile in 1949 and in 1991 switched over from government in exile to self rule.

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 22:22 on Aug 6, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I don’t really have a dog in the Taiwan independence fight beyond the fact that it threatens nuclear war. wtf do I care if they want to become a US colony, as long as it happens without hundreds of millions of casualties I do not give a gently caress

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Antonymous posted:

"South Korea should go back to North korea "

Horror of horrors.

What’s next? 26 + 6 = 1?

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 22:21 on Aug 6, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Antonymous posted:

"Bangladesh should go back to Pakistan"

"North korea should go back to South Korea"

"South sudan should go back to Sudan"

etc

why would it go back to pakistan, give pakistan and east pakistan back to india

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I mean I’d rather Taiwanese civilians not die repelling an invasion either. but the main thing is nukes

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

South Korea never had control of North Korea. That was a UN operation that took over the territory.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Antonymous posted:

yah Taiwan, like the americas, has like 500 years of colonization history where the native people usually don't end up in charge

again:

HiroProtagonist posted:

post colonial is the only real dividing line and its nonsensical to attribute say misdoings by the Qin to modern china similarly as it would be stupid as gently caress to say britain is responsible for all of the misdoings of the US

thing is unlike both latter mentions, Korea and most SE asian states only gained self determination and governance within the past 100 years.

e: nice work y'all lmao marxist hive mind at work

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Horror of horrors.

What’s next? 26 + 6 = 1?

i used to think it was more likely but at this point "northern ireland" might be the only part of the UK that remains fiercely loyal

the analogy is however p spot on imo

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

Horror of horrors.

What’s next? 26 + 6 = 1?

small country belongs to bigger country it broke off of.

in the ROC case it's actually the former state of the PRC. PRC is the successor.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

you all are getting trolled by this threads matt bruenig

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Antonymous posted:

small country belongs to bigger country it broke off of.

in the ROC case it's actually the former state of the PRC. PRC is the successor.

this would only make sense if the kaiser was still shipping arms to ireland to this day

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

HiroProtagonist posted:

i used to think it was more likely but at this point "northern ireland" might be the only part of the UK that remains fiercely loyal

the analogy is however p spot on imo

it is not spot on

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

indigi posted:

I don’t really have a dog in the Taiwan independence fight beyond the fact that it threatens nuclear war. wtf do I care if they want to become a US colony, as long as it happens without hundreds of millions of casualties I do not give a gently caress

this is about as dumb as saying "idrc if angola is independent or not as long as it doesn't provoke a war"

national liberation is a good thing and its terminally western brains who always say otherwise. and no, i am not implying taiwan is fighting some kind of national liberation conflict, just westerners inserting themselves yet again into a place that wants nothing to do with them and where that influence is only fueling more provocation

Antonymous posted:

it is not spot on

thanks for this further edification

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Taiwan should be independent and the 98% of the population that is Han Chinese should be deported to the mainland and locked up for colonialism.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I only really disagree with two characterizations, which triggered me:

#1 ROC government has some fundamental irredentism today that makes its conflict with china two sided

#2 Taiwan is a colony of the US which is being stripped from its rightful place as a province of china

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

two is objectively true tho

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

HiroProtagonist posted:

this is about as dumb as saying "idrc if angola is independent or not as long as it doesn't provoke a war"

national liberation is a good thing and its terminally western brains who always say otherwise. and no, i am not implying taiwan is fighting some kind of national liberation conflict, just westerners inserting themselves yet again into a place that wants nothing to do with them and where that influence is only fueling more provocation

I think their self determination trumps my idealism tbh. if they want to break away and host a US military base that’s their business. I think it’s stupid and reckless but I don’t care enough to want to impose my values on them

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Antonymous posted:

I only really disagree with two characterizations, which triggered me:

#1 ROC government has some fundamental irredentism today that makes its conflict with china two sided

#2 Taiwan is a colony of the US which is being stripped from its rightful place as a province of china

Yes the Chinese Civil War is two sided and yes the US is trying to carve off a province of China.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

two is objectively true tho

its being compared to Northern Ireland which is ruled from London. Taipei is not ruled from DC. it's a mischaractarization. Taiwan has no other entity to turn to except USA, it is not being imposed on it, and if you look at the government's decisions you will see that

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

indigi posted:

I think their self determination trumps my idealism tbh. if they want to break away and host a US military base that’s their business. I think it’s stupid and reckless but I don’t care enough to impose my values on them

Do people in the US get a say where US military bases go? I don't think most US citizens want a military base in Taiwan.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

Do people in the US get a say where US military bases go? I don't think most US citizens want a military base in Taiwan.

I don’t think they do either which is why I posed it as a hypothetical

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Brits and Prots both pretended the UK was an impartial arbiter of peace and that Stormont, not London, was making decisions in NI.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
the majority of taiwan favors more integration with the mainland in whatever degree

the only people who dont are those that make more money off proliferation of western weapons and/or are just hardcore anticommunists "fidel stole my grandma's ponies" miami-style gusanos

taiwan has very little to lose returning to the mainland and if you want a better analogy look at hong kong post-western meddling

Antonymous posted:

its being compared to Northern Ireland which is ruled from London. Taipei is not ruled from DC. it's a mischaractarization. Taiwan has no other entity to turn to except USA, it is not being imposed on it, and if you look at the government's decisions you will see that

and maybe they should stop doing that, except in this case its the ruling class doing what ruling classes do. they know what would happen to them and their circles if the PRC gained authority over them, its literally the only reason this is (yet again) an issue in the public discourse.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Taiwan used to have US military bases on it. Where did they go? 馬英九 met with 習近平 7 years ago. Did us colonialism force that meeting?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

HiroProtagonist posted:

the majority of taiwan favors more integration with the mainland in whatever degree

I think this has changed since the Ukraine special operation

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

indigi posted:

I think this has changed since the Ukraine special operation

how and why

indigi posted:

I think their self determination trumps my idealism tbh. if they want to break away and host a US military base that’s their business. I think it’s stupid and reckless but I don’t care enough to want to impose my values on them

at least you recognize it properly as idealism

materially, things work out in reality because of real actual conditions such as remittances. the amount of economic interaction mainland china has with taiwan will eventually trump any idealism. where people start wars is when they feel like they're left with no choice but to lash out to avoid the inevitable. it may happen but it's not the decision of most taiwanese people whether or not that it does.

all that being said comparing taiwan to victims of colonialism remains being dumb as gently caress

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

love when my colonial puppet does the one thing that makes no sense for a colonial puppet to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Antonymous posted:

Taipei is not ruled from DC.

big if true