Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
That is massively better. Also:

https://twitter.com/joewintergreen/status/1228596763570737152?s=21&t=Vy6iJnNsVeLS-KWGE13eaQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The gunplay in Q2 is better than HL1. Don’t @ me.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

that's not saying much, hl1 isn't great because of its gunplay

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Half-Life was the first FPS I played with manual reloading (not counting stuff like the pistol periodically playing a reloading animation in Duke 3D) and I remember being really, really confused by a preview talking about how you'd need to keep your weapons reloaded. Like that Area 51 arcade game? Do I have to shoot off-screen to reload?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

An Actual Princess posted:

that's not saying much, hl1 isn't great because of its gunplay

Probably why I never cared for Counterstrike either.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
The movement is definitely better since you don't have to crouch-jump to get onto every loving surface or ledge.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I mean yes, but I don't understand at all how anyone thinks there's no cohesion. It all looks like it's targeting the Quake 2 aesthetic to me.

Volte posted:

Quake 2 RTX was never designed to look good, I don't think anyone believes it looks good.
I'm right here, you know.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Ehhhh... maybe. My gut feeling says this is dead wrong but thinking on it, I'm really not sure.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I like Quake 2 a lot but it's a bullets game instead of a shotgun shells game so it should probably be called something else.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Probably why I never cared for Counterstrike either.

Cs gunplay is entirely different from hl1 and has been loved for decades so that one's on you tho

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Playing hl1 using CS 1.6 weapons kicked rear end and still does

Haven't played hl2 with cs source weapons but who cares

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Squeezy Farm posted:

Cs gunplay is entirely different from hl1 and has been loved for decades so that one's on you tho

Oh it definitely is. I respect the whole pro scene around it but I never found it personally fun.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I like the little details in Quake 2 like when enemies are down and they start shooting blindly. Overall it doesn't feel as stiff as Half-Life, but I prefer the HL arsenal way more. Launch yourself across the map with the tau cannon, launch a grenade from your MP5, long-jump and get up in their face and doubleblast them with a shotgun, or if you're out of shotgun ammo, crowbar them until they turn into bouncy meat blocks

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

HolyKrap posted:

I like the little details in Quake 2 like when enemies are down and they start shooting blindly. Overall it doesn't feel as stiff as Half-Life, but I prefer the HL arsenal way more. Launch yourself across the map with the tau cannon, launch a grenade from your MP5, long-jump and get up in their face and doubleblast them with a shotgun, or if you're out of shotgun ammo, crowbar them until they turn into bouncy meat blocks

Quake 2 and Half-Life are both fantastic! Half-Life 2 sucks.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Quake 2 and Half-Life are both fantastic! Half-Life 2 sucks.

The Early FPS Megathread - Half-Life 2 sucks

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Half Life 2 arsenal exists for those who are so bereft of creativity that the Gravity Gun is unusable.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SCheeseman posted:

The Half Life 2 arsenal exists for those who are so bereft of creativity that the Gravity Gun is unusable.

Hey, sometimes you’re also bereft of barrels, crates, and saw blades

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love HL2. More so than the original.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Isn't there a reprogrammed ball robot thingy that follows you around just before you get the gravity gun? I seem to remember you can carry that thing through like half the game and when I was in ravenholm it decided it was going to actively go after enemies for me.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Isn't there a reprogrammed ball robot thingy that follows you around just before you get the gravity gun? I seem to remember you can carry that thing through like half the game and when I was in ravenholm it decided it was going to actively go after enemies for me.

I don't remember that at all but you might be thinking of a cool SMOD weapon

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There’s the ball you use to play fetch with Dog, which I think is a hacked Combine weapon. I never thought of trying that but it might work

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That might be it. I think there's an achievement for getting it through the mines.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Baron von Eevl posted:

I wish half life 2 (and 1) had a baby cacodemon pet. It could shoot little plasma balls at enemies and terrorise scientists, and crunch the cans you get from vending machines.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Being honest, I just finished watching a friend stream the original Half-Life, and it gets pretty goddamn miserable by the end. I still really like it in spite of this somehow, but... yeah, you die and get sent back to your last save a lot, particularly the closer you get to (and in) Xen. The Nihilanth doesn't even particularly well explain what the hell is going on with the mechanics to the fight if you're going in blind, and even knowing what's going on it isn't a great fight, so that's working against it as well.

I wanna say I remember Half-Life 2 being a fair bit lighter on the instant death aspect, but I suppose not really. I will say I'm a huge fan of Half-Life 2. Maybe not as much as the first (I haven't really decided TBH), but it's still a great game that held up great when I briefly revisited it on Xbox (which is far and away not the version you should be playing, but the fact that it plays as well as it does even on that hardware is pretty spiffy).

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The Half Life and Half Life 2 slander ....

You're all insane.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The Half Life and Half Life 2 slander ....

You're all insane.

Half Life 2 is a solid 8/11 game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The Early FPS Megathread - Half-Life 2, sucks? Not! A good game!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Early FPS Megathread - First Half-Life, 3 screenshots

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Half-Life 3 is old enough to be a Retro-FPS despite not being created yet.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Convex posted:

The Early FPS Megathread - Half-Life 2, sucks? Not! A good game!

I mean it isn't a terrible game taken on its own, but it is a terrible sequel to Half-Life. It just feels so generic until the last 1/5th or so. Portal was a much better Half-Life sequel.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like the big change in setting. The Combine are great antagonists.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The very end of HL2 is so bad I’m amazed fans didn’t riot. There’s no boss fight, no closure, you don’t even get to kill Breen, G-man literally just pops up and says “that’s all folks”. Then people had to wait like 18 months so episode 1 could come out and immediately retcon it.

Between that and Halo 2, it was a rough year for FPS campaign endings.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think Quake 2 is a fun game and the RTX version looks just fine. That is all.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I knew about the Cyberdemon in E3M9 but was not prepared for the rest of that level. :gibs:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John Carmack just did a 5+ hr podcast with some dude called Jon Fridman . Haven’t listened yet but it looks cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I845O57ZSy4

https://overcast.fm/+eZyBHYc5Q

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

John Carmack just did a 5+ hr podcast with some dude called Jon Fridman . Haven’t listened yet but it looks cool.

You are two pages late :P

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:blush:

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

SCheeseman posted:

MMod does a nice job of making the "stock" FPS weapons (pistol, SMG, etc.) more satisfying to use. Vanilla HL2 makes everything except the shotgun feel like a peashooter. Half-Life's shotguns are always pretty good.

Shadow Hog posted:

Being honest, I just finished watching a friend stream the original Half-Life, and it gets pretty goddamn miserable by the end. I still really like it in spite of this somehow, but... yeah, you die and get sent back to your last save a lot, particularly the closer you get to (and in) Xen. The Nihilanth doesn't even particularly well explain what the hell is going on with the mechanics to the fight if you're going in blind, and even knowing what's going on it isn't a great fight, so that's working against it as well.

Speaking of modders making everything Half-Life better, Black Mesa's Xen was much better, if a little lenghty. Even the Nihilanth fight is more bearable, although I was wondering why it was taking so long as my ammo was exhausted until I learned the only weapon that can do damage to is it the Gluon Gun, which is a bit of an odd choice.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the smg in HL2 suuuucks. i like the pulse rifle, shotgun and the crossbow. and the magnum. hl2 owns!!!

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

skasion posted:

The very end of HL2 is so bad I’m amazed fans didn’t riot. There’s no boss fight, no closure, you don’t even get to kill Breen, G-man literally just pops up and says “that’s all folks”. Then people had to wait like 18 months so episode 1 could come out and immediately retcon it.

Between that and Halo 2, it was a rough year for FPS campaign endings.

The Citadel is an amazing climax, still get shivers seeing that beautifully brutal vista of striders walking down a corridor. The blue gravity gun is such a fulfilled power fantasy. Also people didn't go on the internet to look up the ending on google video or whatever and then proceed to complain loudly about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Flinger posted:

The Citadel is an amazing climax, still get shivers seeing that beautifully brutal vista of striders walking down a corridor. The blue gravity gun is such a fulfilled power fantasy. Also people didn't go on the internet to look up the ending on google video or whatever and then proceed to complain loudly about it

The citadel itself is fine, certainly better than most of the game. it’s the literal end that sucks, the last…ten minutes or whatever. You finally catch up to Breen after he’s been taunting you all the way, and then he just leaves sight unseen and you shoot two gunships and do a wacky physics puzzle to blow up the citadel and, implicitly, the entire town in your own face. (And Alyx’s lol)

Ranking of HL2+episodes chapters since I replayed the whole thing recently

Good:
Don’t Go To Ravenholm
Follow Freeman
Our Benefactors
Direct Intervention
Under the Radar

Ok but I got sick of them by the time I was done:
Route Kanal
Highway 17
Anticitizen One
Urban Flight
Exit 17
This Vortal Coil
Freeman Pontifex
Riding Shotgun
Our Mutual Fiend

Too much waiting around for things to happen:
Point Insertion
Red Letter Day
Black Mesa East
Dark Energy
Undue Alarm
To the White Forest
T Minus One

Did not have fun:
Sandtraps
Nova Prospekt
Entanglement
Lowlife

That sag in the middle of the base game is so bad though.

skasion fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 7, 2022