Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's fair, I always Google things that are familiar enough to me to be used to categorize me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

koos projects an aura of power and authority but when a real war crime happens the mod teams iron fist is nowhere to be found

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

koos projects an aura of power and authority but when a real war crime happens the mod teams iron fist is nowhere to be found

the slytherin way

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

if I had ultimate power I would ban all harry potter related maps from this thread

keep them in the pictures thread where they belong

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

GoutPatrol posted:

if I had ultimate power I would ban all harry potter related maps from this thread

keep them in the pictures thread on Reddit where they belong

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Surely all the states with anti-trans laws should be Gryffindor, since that's the house Rowling says she's in.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Mission accomplished

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Bird in a Blender posted:

Does anywhere outside of Chicago and NYC name their interstates? I guess there are things like the Ohio and Indiana Turnpikes, but I'm not sure if people actually use those names commonly.

Chicago is lousy with this, preferring to use the names over the numbers. The main north/south interstate trunk through the city, I-90/I-94, is termed the Dan Ryan Expressway to the south, and the Kennedy Expressway to the north, and the news will just say "traffic on the Dan Ryan" and expect outsiders to know what they're talking about.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

And people say the USA lost the Vietnam War! Vietnam has one of the most positive views of the USA of all countries, 84% of Vietnamese have a favorable view of the USA... higher than Israel and South Korea [e: different source than the above, I looked for one with more countries listed, https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/countries-that-love-americans no idea if it's reliable].

Maybe in 25 years the Taliban will also suddenly turn Afghanistan into Switzerland?

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 5, 2022

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
The Vietnamese hatred of the Chinese trumps any lingering ill-will to the USA.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Noted state that belong in the house of smart nerds: the state that tried to mandate doctors to reimplant ectopic pregnancies in 2019.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

You questioning the Sorting Hat?

Seems more the result of its drugged-out cousin, the Snorting Hat

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SaltyJesus posted:

Surely all the states with anti-trans laws should be Gryffindor, since that's the house Rowling says she's in.

I'm surprised they didn't all sort themselves into Gryffindor, the house for cool, brave people. Instead, the most popular house is Slytherin, home of the comically evil wizarding racists

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Except for the wizarding part, that describes what I know about American States.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Basically for the US the Vietnam War was this terrible thing we know we did and a whole tragedy and a stain upon the soul of the nation, but for Vietnam, it was a tuesday. They had plenty of other wars before, after, and during the big war that the US was involved in, and the US happens to be the big country to go to for help against their most long-term enemy of China.

I wonder if on an individual basis, whether Americans doing business in Vietnam also carry a deep cultural guilt that makes them easier for the Vietnamese to deal with.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/genossse/status/1555596385143201792

CHINA AND THE US ARE BOTH IN THE NORTHERN HEMISPHERE

i say we dig a hole to the south indian ocean west of Perth

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BonHair posted:

Except for the wizarding part, that describes what I know about American States.

To be fair, some of them did have Grand Wizards at one point

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

To be fair, some of them did have Grand Wizards at one point

True, and they were pretty good at making people disappear

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SlothfulCobra posted:

Basically for the US the Vietnam War was this terrible thing we know we did and a whole tragedy and a stain upon the soul of the nation, but for Vietnam, it was a tuesday. They had plenty of other wars before, after, and during the big war that the US was involved in, and the US happens to be the big country to go to for help against their most long-term enemy of China.

I wonder if on an individual basis, whether Americans doing business in Vietnam also carry a deep cultural guilt that makes them easier for the Vietnamese to deal with.

lol americans feeling guilt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoRT-qktEdw

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Yeah, I feel like the bigger advantage is that America got its rear end kicked, so any American visitors are gonna be humble or get humbled.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

i say swears online posted:

https://twitter.com/genossse/status/1555596385143201792

Hey, no one said we had to go through the center.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

made the earth core run in less than twelve parsecs

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dig east to west instead of north to south

Phlegmish posted:

I'm surprised they didn't all sort themselves into Gryffindor, the house for cool, brave people. Instead, the most popular house is Slytherin, home of the comically evil wizarding racists

every Potter Fan picks the holier-than-though nerds or the cool snake goths. The text of the books is long past relevant to what this unending hell franchise has become.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

i say swears online posted:

How dare a child not precisely calculate antipodes and reference a popular saying.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Dig east to west instead of north to south

every Potter Fan picks the holier-than-though nerds or the cool snake goths. The text of the books is long past relevant to what this unending hell franchise has become.

That map showing "Hufflepuff" as the plurality choice for any state is pretty indicative that it's just a joke map. Probably less than 1 in 50 Harry Potter fans can even name a single character's name who was in Hufflepuff. Slytherin and Gryffendor were the only two houses that had anything other than brief passing mentions in the book, and Ravenclaw had like, Harry Potter's girlfriend and that's it. It'd be like if you saw a poll for "people's favorite Game of Thrones character" that showed Alliser Thorne was more popular than any of the Starks or Lannisters.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

How dare a child not precisely calculate antipodes and reference a popular saying.

the chopstick in the cantaloupe metaphor hadn't been invented yet

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also, the vietnamese median age is about 33 so there are few people that could remember a war that ended almost 50 years ago

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Viet people generally could not give a poo poo if you're white-passing American, differences between north and south as always though. Hmong have a more favourable attitude towards Americans than generic white foreigners.

If they can tell you're Chinese though you might get kicked out of a restaurant.

In the past US administration there was a frightening amount of pro-Trump opinion, like making the republican party look sane by comparison.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I always forget how few people live in Australia. This is over 10 years old though so obviously the numbers have gone up.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Red is more than half of Canada

France is also pretty askew compared to neighbours. 20% of the country is Paris, which this map does not quite convey.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 6, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I couldn't figure out what was going on in the north . Was it mining or something spilling over from Angola? It turns out that it's mostly hundreds of small farms surrounding walled compounds.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I think this is it. This is heavily confounded by the variable "do I (reasonably or not) expect the police to be of assistance in any particular theft?" A country with a less corrupt/more effective police force will get more crimes reported.

Cyprus anyway is like a giant small town, so for our champ there I don't think that's it. There's just way less petty crime for that reason. I think I only ever saw one homeless person there, family safety nets are strong and huge even when the government ones fail.

They also rob tourists the conventional way.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

who needs a pickpocket when you have a minibar

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Also Russian mobsters don't want their piggy bank to be a mess. You keep that neat and clean.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Weembles posted:

I couldn't figure out what was going on in the north . Was it mining or something spilling over from Angola? It turns out that it's mostly hundreds of small farms surrounding walled compounds.

No, Namibia was like that well before. First off the whole country is a barely habitable desert except for the central area from Windhoek north, which a reasonably habitable tropical savannah prairie. There was a genocide by the Germans in the early 1900s of central Namibia of the Herrero people between Windhoek and Etosha.

Also the Herero had genocided the native Bushmen in central Namibia in the early 1800s. So mostly genocides; by the civil war in Angola and SWAPO the population structure was already quite similar to present.

Everything south of Windhoek and ALL of the coast about 200-300km deep all the way from Angola to South Africa ranges from 100% uninhabitable desert to 95% uninhabitable desert steppe (coast at Angolan border)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Saladman posted:

ALL of the coast about 200-300km deep all the way from Angola to South Africa ranges from 100% uninhabitable desert to 95% uninhabitable desert steppe (coast at Angolan border)
This just reminded me of the white nationalist group who wanted to establish a settlement on the Namibian coast a few years ago.

Yes go settle a 100% uninhabitable desert region in a country led by someone who bases his political mythology entirely on fighting people like you in the 90s, very good plan.