Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They should set a series during the era where the Federation used the movie uniforms without the turtleneck :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CPColin posted:

They should set a series during the era where the Federation used the movie uniforms without the turtleneck :getin:

The Worst Era

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The Bloop posted:

whiz bang stupid poo poo all the way down

New thread title?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
That new Star Trek game by the ex-Telltale devs looks promising, AND it's got the First Contact uniforms (ie the best uniforms of the 24th century shows).

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Professor Beetus posted:

AND it's got the First Contact uniforms (ie the best uniforms of the 24th century shows).

It's true!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I finished up season 4 of Discovery and the early promise of the season never really got realized - perhaps it is unfair of me but I simply had no sympathy for Book and Evil Scientist Man and eventually Panicky Earth General getting to gently caress everything up over and over again and make the situation far worse - including committing what I'm fairly certain was a literal war crime - but constantly be given passes by everybody because they were sad about it (while continuing to do it!).

A better written show might have been able to thread the needle, since in principle exploring how grief and denial can cause moral and intelligent people to do awful things has a lot of room to make for compelling television. Plus I dug the (not always entirely successful) effort to continually showcase the concept that the Federation are primarily peaceful explorers who are interested in reaching out to try and understand things that are alien, but the show never quite seems to pull off what it is aiming for.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I didn’t like the Earth general’s little hat.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Jerusalem posted:

perhaps it is unfair of me
Nope. The show is bad, most criticism is pretty valid now that the chuds aren't watching anymore. There is plenty to like and it has high points (I've posted about them as I've noticed them) but on average it's the hollow shell of a better show.

For this post my vague overarching criticism will be... the latest season has a lot of focus on pathos and most of it is unearned.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 7, 2022

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

I finished up season 4 of Discovery and the early promise of the season never really got realized - perhaps it is unfair of me but I simply had no sympathy for Book and Evil Scientist Man and eventually Panicky Earth General getting to gently caress everything up over and over again and make the situation far worse - including committing what I'm fairly certain was a literal war crime - but constantly be given passes by everybody because they were sad about it (while continuing to do it!).

A better written show might have been able to thread the needle, since in principle exploring how grief and denial can cause moral and intelligent people to do awful things has a lot of room to make for compelling television. Plus I dug the (not always entirely successful) effort to continually showcase the concept that the Federation are primarily peaceful explorers who are interested in reaching out to try and understand things that are alien, but the show never quite seems to pull off what it is aiming for.

I had sympathy for Book and did like his eventual arc, but evil scientist man had some extremely weak motivation. That definitely needed another pass in the writer's room.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Book takes too long to come to his senses

I never had any sympathy for Tarka

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Epicurius posted:

I think it's part of a more general thing , TOS Enterprise seems a lot more crowded than SNW Enterprise. And I think there's two reasons for that. First, TOS had a lot more extras as crewmen in hallway shots and things like that. Second, in away team missions or the actual plot as it plays out, in addition to the main crew, there usually were other people, either unnamed (random security guards or scientists or whatever), or people who ended up playing a role in the plot of the episode, like, I don't know, in Space Seed, the ship's historian who Khan seduces and who then joins him.

So you get the idea that this ship is not just the people whose names are in the credits every week. It's a whole bunch of people staffing the ship, and that doesn't happen as much on SNW.

Next season a Science Lab is a set they are building, so I have hope.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tarka's actor was amazing on The Expanse which made me well disposed to him but I never gave a poo poo about the character. I think he did a good job with the poo poo he was given, at least.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Tarka's actor was amazing on The Expanse which made me well disposed to him but I never gave a poo poo about the character. I think he did a good job with the poo poo he was given, at least.

Oh poo poo, he was Errinwright in The Expanse! I knew there was something familiar about him but I could not place the face.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Hey guys I found a way to the paradise dimension!

*Puts phaser to temple*

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Burning_Monk posted:

Hey guys I found a way to the paradise dimension!

*Puts phaser to temple*

Hey so was anyone else under the impression that he was saying he was originally from the paradise dimension? When he first talked about it, that's what I thought he was saying, and only when he started elaborating did I realize that it was two dumbfucks trying to vaporize themselves to a theoretical heaven.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, he just thought there might be a cool dimension he could go to with no proof that it actually existed.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, he just thought there might be a cool dimension he could go to with no proof that it actually existed.

The math checks out! If there are infinite dimensions one of them has to be good.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Epicurius posted:

I think it's part of a more general thing , TOS Enterprise seems a lot more crowded than SNW Enterprise. And I think there's two reasons for that. First, TOS had a lot more extras as crewmen in hallway shots and things like that. Second, in away team missions or the actual plot as it plays out, in addition to the main crew, there usually were other people, either unnamed (random security guards or scientists or whatever), or people who ended up playing a role in the plot of the episode, like, I don't know, in Space Seed, the ship's historian who Khan seduces and who then joins him.

So you get the idea that this ship is not just the people whose names are in the credits every week. It's a whole bunch of people staffing the ship, and that doesn't happen as much on SNW.

The film industry is the one place in North America still acting like there's an airborne virus killing 200 people a day.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://imgur.com/gallery/5WNYn8w

gently caress posting from imgur on mobile

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cojawfee posted:

Yes, which makes his actions so much worse

Earlier in the season it was kind of implied that he wasn't from this universe and was trying to go 'home', but it's actually that his existence in this universe has been poo poo so he wants to leave to a supposed paradise, and is willing to do anything necessary to leave.

It actually would have been slightly better if he was not meant to be in this universe and was just trying to get home, but instead we got that other bullshit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I have to admit I was confused as to whether he was actually from a different universe (not the Mirror Universe) or not, since I think from memory he outright tells Book that his backstory about being from Riza was bullshit? Then by the end it just seems to be a given that he wasn't, and Book apparently knew that as well, which makes Tarka appear even more delusional and really calls further into question Book being willing to overlook so many red flags even with the excuse of his grief supposedly blinding him.

On a brighter now, I guess I'll catch up on Lower Decks next!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Tarka and his friend actually did mathematically prove the existence of their paradise dimension and how to get there. He was still being incredibly selfish, but he wasn't planning on just blindly beaming himself into some random quantum plane. His magical thinking was instead that he would meet his friend there, because they made a promise to meet there if they got separated. There's basically zero chance his friend made it, and he probably knew that, but that irrational hope is the only thing he had left.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bloop posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/5WNYn8w

gently caress posting from imgur on mobile

Just like Lance Reddick, Tim Russ also wants to be LeVar Burton :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

blastron posted:

I think my biggest complaint about 32nd century technology in Discovery is that every interface is a floaty blue hologram, which was already the case in the 23rd century, with the only difference being that you can conjure them anywhere instead of only on the ship. Programmable matter displays would be so much cooler, even if it is used, in practice, exactly how the holograms are. I don't care that actors are jabbing at thin air to solve problems, I just want it to be floating bits of metal instead of a blue rectangle.

They don't even need to be jabbing thin air, have them jabbing actual physical controls that get materialised into existence and then vanish when they're done with that screen.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The nice thing about the floaty hologram interfaces is that the text always reads forwards, no matter which side you're looking at, like Spock's rehab computer on Vulcan in ST4

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

MikeJF posted:

They don't even need to be jabbing thin air, have them jabbing actual physical controls that get materialised into existence and then vanish when they're done with that screen.

That's the effect I want to see, yeah. What I'm trying to say is that I don't care if the actors are still just waving their hands while surrounded by CGI, I just want it to look cooler.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

blastron posted:

What I'm trying to say is that I don't care if the actors are still just waving their hands while surrounded by CGI, I just want it to look cooler.

Oh yeah I was just suggesting actual props and then a guy in a green morph suit pulls it out of the way.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

That would be great. I really miss physical tricorders in Discovery. Conjuring one up with a flick of the wrist would be way cooler than the floating screen labeled “TRICORDER” that we currently get.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I almost miss the more toy selling/action figure days. Programmable matter is the perfect way for each character to have their own custom looking tricorder they could sell.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I thought the omnitool from Mass Effect was a rad as poo poo concept that was probably ripped off from some other better sci-fi story or franchise. Star Trek should have omnitools.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Really for any Trek era tricorders should just be a scanner module that links to PADDs or is clipped onto the back of a PADD.

But with programmable matter they could go cool things with PADDs where it's a screen that seems like a physical thin screen and you can resize it like a window but in real life and just leave it floating in mid-air if you want or grab and move it or tear bits off.

Basically with programmable matter they should be moving all the infinite canvas UI ideas we use on screens into reality.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Iron Man did more convincing hologram interaction better in 2008 than Disco, I think that's why Disco's holograms don't feel right.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DaveKap posted:

Iron Man did more convincing hologram interaction better in 2008 than Disco, I think that's why Disco's holograms don't feel right.

Except also Iron Man's holograms weren't solid and Star Trek's holograms have always been solid so why are they waving vaguely at empty space.

They clearly wanted to make holographic controls in the current fashionable sci-fi style without considering the existing history of holograms in Trek, so there's occasional nods to things like solidity while apeing the gestures common in non-solid holo-UI.

(And I've got a whole other rant about the current dominance in sci-fi of HUD-derived transparent thin-glowing-line-on-black UI in non-HUD contexts, but that's getting even more off topic)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 7, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

Really for any Trek era tricorders should just be a scanner module that links to PADDs or is clipped onto the back of a PADD.

But with programmable matter they could go cool things with PADDs where it's a screen that seems like a physical thin screen and you can resize it like a window but in real life and just leave it floating in mid-air if you want or grab and move it or tear bits off.

Basically with programmable matter they should be moving all the infinite canvas UI ideas we use on screens into reality.

Programmable matter should really turn several classic devices into one; It's a phaser. Now it's a tricorder. Now it's a multitool. Now it's a combadge "holstered" back on the uniform.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I thought the 32nd century combadges were tricorders? or did I make that up?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

hiddenriverninja posted:

I thought the 32nd century combadges were tricorders? or did I make that up?

they are, but only in the sense that they project some floaty holograms in front of the user that show sensor readings or whatever; they don't change shape themselves

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

DaveKap posted:

Yeah, I can’t believe that the CGI in a blockbuster Hollywood movie is more complicated than in a 40-some episode streaming TV show.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Arglebargle III posted:

The film industry is the one place in North America still acting like there's an airborne virus killing 200 people a day.

I'm not attacking the modern shows for it. I certainly understand. I'm just explaining why the older sets seemed busier.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, I can’t believe that the CGI in a blockbuster Hollywood movie is more complicated than in a 40-some episode streaming TV show.

Don't write a check your CGI can't cash

There was no need to go into the super future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

nine-gear crow posted:

Just like Lance Reddick, Tim Russ also wants to be LeVar Burton :v:

Who doesn't? Hell, I'd love to be LeVar Burton. He owns.