Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Lapid will be interim PM until a new government is appointed by a knesset majority, so this can be a non-negligible period of time, a minimum of 3-4 months and potentially much more than that if the elections don't produce a new government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
He'll apparently be Caretaker PM, of a now fractured coalition.

Of two minds; on one hand it's good that the arab members didn't put up with the bullshit sent their way, on the other hand Likud's doing well in polls apparently, and Bibi's already making overtures about how the coalition was too soft on arabs (lol). Hopefully it ends up like the prior elections, where they get most seats but fail to form a coalition.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/6/24/un-israelis-fired-shots-that-killed-journalist-abu-akleh

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/jhaboush/status/1543955889505320960?s=20&t=qkHJCeogT-7K8DFT_b4F4g

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Funny how all of those people the IDF kills are just a ‘whoopsie’

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So what was assaulting the funeral procession, shenanigans?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Funny how all of those people the IDF kills are just a ‘whoopsie’

Israel is still whining about the statement naturally.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
It was an honest mistake that I shot at people

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
"Tragic Circumstances" is what I call my gun, you see

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

DarkCrawler posted:

"Tragic Circumstances" is what I call my gun, you see

Then what do you call your dick?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

'The peace process' as in it fucks you over and nobody is happy.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Failed Imagineer posted:

White phosphorus, cause my jizz be fire, gurl

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
White phosphorus incendiary rounds because they explode prematurely

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Because every time I use it someone is accusing me of a crime

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Failed Imagineer posted:

the naked isaiah

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

White phosphorus, cause my jizz be fire, gurl

Please consult a urologist.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Operation Grapes of Wrath

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It’s ‘Israel has a right to defend itself against children’ O’Clock

https://twitter.com/mairavz/status/1555589167991635969?s=21&t=wRj1GS89k0ZoMePCrxKdBg

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

the loving BBC headline for this jesus christ

top militant killed folks! looks like a brilliantly targeted strike that definitely didn't kill any children

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1555844880160567296

quote:

The only power plant operating in the Gaza Strip has been forced to shut down due to a shortage of diesel fuel.

The plant has been supplied with fuel from Israel or Egypt. Israel has now closed the border and no supplies have been received from Egypt either.

According to the Gaza Electricity Company, the closure of the power plant will have a major impact on both Gaza's service supply and the 2.3 million residents in a difficult situation. Electricity will be available for about four hours a day.

The electricity company hopes that all parties involved will take steps to get the fuel supply back on track.

:ohdear:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
gently caress Israel I swear to God. Palestinians live in an open air prison.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The average prison has electricity 24 hours a day though, so, uh...

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

all the comments on those tweets are like "too bad they used all the fuel on rockets LOL"

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

PT6A posted:

The average prison has electricity 24 hours a day though, so, uh...

Yeah, it's more like a ghetto in the WWII meaning of the word.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
ghetto being a term originally used to describe where cities forced their jews to live. human history always throwing out curve balls.

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 6, 2022

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s ‘Israel has a right to defend itself against children’ O’Clock

https://twitter.com/mairavz/status/1555589167991635969?s=21&t=wRj1GS89k0ZoMePCrxKdBg

Israel and the US will never suffer as much as they deserve.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The thing that I will never get over about this poo poo is just how brazen Israel is about who and how they attack. Maybe this is a controversial opinion but it seems to me that - these days, at least - not even America acts with such wanton cruelty, dispensing death and misery so publicly and collectively to a people. I was thinking about this with the recent news that al-Zawahiri was killed by a targeted operation using a kinetic munition that is at least supposed to avoid collateral damage. And maybe I'm oblivious but I don't think the US military makes a routine practice of collectively punishing civilians in other countries every time there's a small incursion from them. They did that one time and it was huge and lasted decades but like, you know what I mean. Israel seems to do that poo poo every other day, and it's not even a secret that it's meant to be a punitive action.

Maybe I'm stupid, or looking at it wrong, or maybe the US just has way more experience getting out in front of stuff and spinning it. But it certainly does feel like Israel is this poo poo-disturbing bully that openly acts on its whims to crush and murder people, because what the gently caress are you gonna do about it?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The consistent refrain in Israel is "jfc (ok, that part is me rephrasing, obviously) would you even look at how wantonly destructive the US and Russia are in their wars again people who don't even physically threaten the lives of their citizens? Obviously the only reason anyone gives a poo poo about the scant dozens of Palestinians killed every year is because of anti-Semitism".

There are a lot of replies you can make to this, but I'm not sure "not even America acts with such wanton cruelty, dispensing death and misery so publicly and collectively to a people" is one that's congruent with objective reality.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

The thing that I will never get over about this poo poo is just how brazen Israel is about who and how they attack. Maybe this is a controversial opinion but it seems to me that - these days, at least - not even America acts with such wanton cruelty, dispensing death and misery so publicly and collectively to a people. I was thinking about this with the recent news that al-Zawahiri was killed by a targeted operation using a kinetic munition that is at least supposed to avoid collateral damage. And maybe I'm oblivious but I don't think the US military makes a routine practice of collectively punishing civilians in other countries every time there's a small incursion from them. They did that one time and it was huge and lasted decades but like, you know what I mean. Israel seems to do that poo poo every other day, and it's not even a secret that it's meant to be a punitive action.

Maybe I'm stupid, or looking at it wrong, or maybe the US just has way more experience getting out in front of stuff and spinning it. But it certainly does feel like Israel is this poo poo-disturbing bully that openly acts on its whims to crush and murder people, because what the gently caress are you gonna do about it?

We've been indiscriminately bombing the middle east and northern africa directly or via proxies for a quarter century because some ex-allies got in a few good strikes on our periphery and one good hit on the heartland. Our last two presidents killed american children and we didn't care. Maybe the al-Zawahiri strike is a start of a new trend, but I recall we ended the afghan war by killing an aid worker, two other adults, and seven kids.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm oblivious but I don't think the US military makes a routine practice of collectively punishing civilians in other countries every time there's a small incursion from them.

Collective Punishment is a war crime per the Geneva Convention

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

SalTheBard posted:

Collective Punishment is a war crime per the Geneva Convention

I'm not sure that says anything about whether the US does it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

The US uses munitions that are "supposed" to avoid collateral damage, so that they can point to it as proof of their good intentions when they precision-bomb their own collaborators' cars, blow away entire weddings from ten thousand feet, or let a helicopter shoot up an ambulance. A great amount of time and effort is put into maintaining the pretense of being concerned for civilians and dedicated to limiting collateral damage, in order to deflect domestic criticism when they're murdering people with high-energy munitions in densely-populated urban areas. The attack on al-Zawahiri may have reduced collateral damage compared to blowing up the building, but a strike aimed to minimize collateral damage would use a bullet, not a car-sized blade missile that can plow through a wall and shred the entire room and generally looks like something the evil empire would use in a crappy cartoon.

And that in turn is the result of decades of experience with colonialism, in which the military has the need to maintain domestic public support for the efforts needed to maintain imperial power. Excessive destruction and civilian casualties can erode domestic political support for an imperial effort, especially if it's happening in a region that's distant and of little importance to the empire. In the case of the assassination of al-Zawahiri, that happened in Kabul - the capital of a country that we ended our extremely unpopular war with less than a year ago. The public appetite for further military engagement in Afghanistan is basically nil right now, and thus it's important for the government to avoid having footage of smoking ruins of blown-up buildings and piles of dead civilians and other things that might look like war. For political reasons, it's important to portray this as a limited assassination rather than as a continuation of two decades of war, and thus collateral damage should be limited as much as is convenient. "As much as convenient" and not "as much as possible", because airstrikes are inherently prone to collateral damage and frequently miss or mis-identify targets.

Now, to bring this back around to Israel, it goes without saying that the domestic political environment in Israel and the population's attitude toward their ongoing colonial projects are both considerably different. While the US regarded Afghanistan as a distant colonial project intended largely to restrain the influence of potential foes in the region, and stayed for so long largely out of a stubborn desire to "not lose", a significant portion of the Israeli Jewish population believes that conquering Palestine is essential for nationalist or religious reasons. Moreover, going so far as to send their own population into the region means that the political cost of a withdrawal would be extremely high. And so on - there's a lot of factors feeding the Israeli Jewish colonialist mindset. Thanks to all that, Israel has significantly less need to avoid collateral damage, because the colonialist project has much stronger support and the pro-genocide factions are relatively large.

Moreover, because Israeli civilians are vulnerable to Palestinian resistance, it's politically essential for the Israeli government to at least make a big show of looking like it's doing something - even if it's actively counterproductive. For example, collective punishment against the population of Gaza for the activities of Islamic Jihad can end up empowering Islamic Jihad by eroding Hamas' ability to keep them in check. But the Israeli government has relied on a policy of responding to rockets with airstrikes for political reasons, and fears the domestic impact of making exceptions when border villages can often see the airstrikes happen.

Of course, because of the strong separation between the populations and the overwhelming military superiority of Israel, it's easy for Israel to provoke a flare-up of violence whenever it wants if the government feels like it needs a bunch of explosions to distract people. They can send special forces into Palestinian territory to wreck some poo poo or kill a few people without making much of a scene, and the Palestinians can't really respond except via highly-visible rockets, at which point Israel can accuse them of picking a fight and engage in a highly visible punitive campaign. That's exactly what's happening right now, in fact. A series of special forces raids into West Bank refugee camps over the past week or so resulted in 50 people being arrested by Israeli troops and what the Israeli media refers to as "clashes" with the locals, resulting in numerous injured civilians and the death of a teenager shot by Israeli troops. Now a major military campaign is starting on both sides, with IJ launching hundreds of rockets and the IDF conducting numerous airstrikes and calling up reservists. Perfect timing for Lapid to beef up his security credentials by invading Gaza to prove he's tough on Palestinians.

Though the funny part (not that we can really call anything in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict funny) is that Lapid's government might have blundered into this one by accident, if I'm getting my timelines right. After the raids, the government shut down Israeli roads and schools near the Gaza border in fear of retaliatory strikes from Islamic Jihad...but after a whole week of lockdown, there were no retaliatory strikes but a whole lot of Israeli civilians pissed off that their region had been put on indefinite shutdown without any clear reason. When "shutting down border towns means letting the terrorists win" pieces started hitting the national media, the Israeli government suddenly ordered a series of airstrikes and started prepping for a big Gaza invasion in what seems a lot like an attempt to distract from Lapid's own-goal and put the media back on the more familiar war-cheerleader path. Just whoopsied themselves so bad that they're gonna go bombard a city to cover it up. :barf:

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

Though the funny part (not that we can really call anything in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict funny) is that Lapid's government might have blundered into this one by accident, if I'm getting my timelines right. After the raids, the government shut down Israeli roads and schools near the Gaza border in fear of retaliatory strikes from Islamic Jihad...but after a whole week of lockdown, there were no retaliatory strikes but a whole lot of Israeli civilians pissed off that their region had been put on indefinite shutdown without any clear reason. When "shutting down border towns means letting the terrorists win" pieces started hitting the national media, the Israeli government suddenly ordered a series of airstrikes and started prepping for a big Gaza invasion in what seems a lot like an attempt to distract from Lapid's own-goal and put the media back on the more familiar war-cheerleader path. Just whoopsied themselves so bad that they're gonna go bombard a city to cover it up. :barf:

Why is the intro Wikipedia article for Operation Breaking Dawn so unnecessarily complicated?

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Breaking_Dawn)

Here is what I think the article is trying to say:

• Without provocation, Israel killed the commander of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad.
• There was no response from any Palestinian group.
• Israel then bombs Gaza, fearing a "reltaition."
• Gaza strikes back in defense, and the war 'officially' starts.

This ever-changing story is reminiscent of the 1967 war. Israel first claimed they were attacked first (in the literal sense) by Egypt and the neighboring Arab states. Once the truth revealed itself, Israel changed the story by saying they did attack the Arab nations first, but only because Egypt was about to invade to attack. The story continued to change and this was around the time Israel bombed USS Liberty.

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I took a screenshot of the above Wikipedia article for a good reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyxFx_XcDDU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-pja3Kijw4

EDIT: Here is a Google search I made:

"Palestine has never existed"

I know the USS Liberty part of my post pissed them off.

Starpluck fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 6, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Starpluck posted:

Why is the intro Wikipedia article for Operation Breaking Dawn so unnecessarily complicated?

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Breaking_Dawn)

Here is what I think the article is trying to say:

• Without provocation, Israel killed the commander of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad.
• There was no response from any Palestinian group.
• Israel then bombs Gaza, fearing a "reltaition."
• Gaza strikes back in defense, and the war 'officially' starts.

This ever-changing story is reminiscent of the 1967 war. Israel first claimed they were attacked first (in the literal sense) by Egypt and the neighboring Arab states. Once the truth revealed itself, Israel changed the story by saying they did attack the Arab nations first, but only because Egypt was about to invade to attack. The story continued to change and this was around the time Israel bombed USS Liberty.

It's a bit worse than that. Without provocation, Israel raided Jenin and arrested 20 people, including an Islamic Jihad commander. Then Israel moved troops south and shut down border communities, clearly preparing to massively retaliate against an Islamic Jihad counterstrike.

But the expected counterstrike never came - there was apparently no uptick in violence from Gaza. After three or four days, the locals started complaining and the media started complaining that the government was letting the terrorists win, and suddenly the Israeli government engaged in an unprovoked series of airstrikes against Gaza (killing an IJ commander and a bunch of civilians). This sparked a wave of rocket attacks, and Israel immediately announced a punitive campaign.

There's a good chance that the government's intention was for the initial raid to spark a wave of highly-visible Palestinian retaliation, which they could then portray as unprovoked Palestinian aggression and as an excuse for a military invasion. That's the same playbook they followed for Cast Lead in 2008: Israel sent a commando raid into Gaza during a ceasefire to kill some Hamas members, Hamas responded with rockets, and Israel launched a military offensive with the claimed objective of stopping the rockets. Protective Edge was similar: a weeks-long series of Israeli raids against Hamas putting an end to a tenuous ceasefire, leading to retaliation from Hamas and then an Israeli invasion to "stop the rocket attacks".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

It's a bit worse than that. Without provocation, Israel raided Jenin and arrested 20 people, including an Islamic Jihad commander. Then Israel moved troops south and shut down border communities, clearly preparing to massively retaliate against an Islamic Jihad counterstrike.

But the expected counterstrike never came - there was apparently no uptick in violence from Gaza. After three or four days, the locals started complaining and the media started complaining that the government was letting the terrorists win, and suddenly the Israeli government engaged in an unprovoked series of airstrikes against Gaza (killing an IJ commander and a bunch of civilians). This sparked a wave of rocket attacks, and Israel immediately announced a punitive campaign.

There's a good chance that the government's intention was for the initial raid to spark a wave of highly-visible Palestinian retaliation, which they could then portray as unprovoked Palestinian aggression and as an excuse for a military invasion. That's the same playbook they followed for Cast Lead in 2008: Israel sent a commando raid into Gaza during a ceasefire to kill some Hamas members, Hamas responded with rockets, and Israel launched a military offensive with the claimed objective of stopping the rockets. Protective Edge was similar: a weeks-long series of Israeli raids against Hamas putting an end to a tenuous ceasefire, leading to retaliation from Hamas and then an Israeli invasion to "stop the rocket attacks".
I would be willing to put a ton of money on the idea that yes, they wanted to provoke retaliation to justify the entire operation, because then the US can play the 'Israel has the right to defend itself' card.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Starpluck posted:

I took a screenshot of the above Wikipedia article for a good reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyxFx_XcDDU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-pja3Kijw4

EDIT: Here is a Google search I made:

"Palestine has never existed"

I know the USS Liberty part of my post pissed them off.

What are you trying to communicate with this post?

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Israel should exercise its right to defend its self, against its self or risk becoming globaly dispised by every day people.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

This time the pointlessness of the attack was particularly egregious, but it was pretty universally lauded in the media (outside of some minor twitter circles).

This strengthened my resolve to move away next year (despite a significant economic cost) because I can't keep being here (for this and for other cultural/personal reasons).

This country has no future and I can't help it nor Palestine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I feel much the same and if my financial and mental condition would have allowed it I'd move.
Where are you headed friend?