Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Cuttlefush posted:

gotta show them earth.nullschool.net

goes great with radio.garden

e: lol check out particulate matter <10um and see if you can’t ID your local AFB

Unless has issued a correction as of 04:04 on Aug 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Unless posted:

goes great with radio.garden

whoa, how have I never known about this site?

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1555546099703857152?s=20&t=xEqyeSDiyOelWRh6FqfBow
If you go to the updated story, a third victim died

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
That's shocking

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, there's no shelter around there except asking if you can wait inside the WH gate guard shack.

Which they would never let anyone do.

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

WaryWarren posted:

whoa, how have I never known about this site?

There's one really solid station on St. Helena in the middle of nowhere.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

SirPablo posted:

Let's watch this on - will Fargo hit 115 on July 31st? This would break their all time record of 114 (from the dust bowl years).

The high temperature in Fargo on July 31st ended up being 81F - only 34 degrees off.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sadly it sounds like the victims are just tourists, not secret service or cops

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

I'm staying in GSMNP and it's super cool to see a dew point of like, 67 create clouds in real-time from the trees - then because of no winds / back building - create these random convection storms that dump 2" of rain in 45 minutes. Disappear leaving the temp from 86 to 68. Then do it again three hours later.

I mean that kind of literally as a WX nerd.
Whole region just kinda turned into a rainforest.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/b9AcE/status/1556048415838150660

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Copper wires stop working at 50oC? wtf? Is that because they sag so much they touch the ground and short out? Or is someone trying come come up with excuses for a marginal power system? Did Bagdad Bob escape the noose to get a job with the Iranian power service? What am I missing here?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Hexigrammus posted:

Copper wires stop working at 50oC? wtf? Is that because they sag so much they touch the ground and short out? Or is someone trying come come up with excuses for a marginal power system? Did Bagdad Bob escape the noose to get a job with the Iranian power service? What am I missing here?

resistance goes up linearly with temperature in kelvin, causing a voltage drop. it's not a very large effect. what's likely a bigger effect is that air conditioners are running harder

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Hexigrammus posted:

Heat is the enemy of electrical and mechanic systems. The resistance of copper increases with temperature, reducing efficiency at the same time demand is probably peaking. And circuit breakers function via heating resistance, so they trip with less power running through them when the environment is hot. It doesn't stop working, but it all works worse. Which given that it's a translation, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The wires “stop working” in the heat in Bangladesh in the same way that they stop working in the cold in Texas. It’s the whole system. It’s not built for the conditions.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Hexigrammus posted:

i think the problem is probably the latter half of the quote of "generators run one hour and must be off 2-3"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

have there not been many hurricanes this season or is it just me

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I was gonna say yeah but no longer living near the Gulf of Mexico might have skewed my perception

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

sahara dust in july can dampen the hurricane engine but late august-november gonna ramp up

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
There haven't been any hurricanes at all this season. Usually would have some by now if we're talking about what's normal for the last two decades

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

No, but it's still early and the Atlantic hurricane factory is about to start up it seems like

https://twitter.com/TropicalTidbits/status/1555966612108242944?s=20&t=FjcMr4V46b_RhatWN_9v2A

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

There haven't been any hurricanes at all this season. Usually would have some by now if we're talking about what's normal for the last two decades

there was one off the coast of mexico just last week, though it didn't hit anything

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Hexigrammus posted:

Did Bagdad Bob escape the noose to get a job with the Iranian power service?

He moved to the Emirates and became a TV host, IIRC. Maybe he could do the weather.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Spergin Morlock posted:

there was one off the coast of mexico just last week, though it didn't hit anything

You're right. There's been six Pacific hurricanes but no one cares about those.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Perry Mason Jar posted:

You're right. There's been six Pacific hurricanes but no one cares about those.

Mexicans might.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

well I’m sure that’ll be a funny post to quote when hurricane gigachad hits Atlantic beach

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i think if we're gonna name something gigachad it should be a hypercane but thats beyond my pay grade

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Hexigrammus posted:

It's the loading far more than the temperature. Conductor sag will increase with ambient temperature and internal temperature (increases with current) but it's not going to be significant in a properly designed transmission system without a lot of trees around the towers/wires.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

SirPablo posted:

Mexicans might.

I mean, sure. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pacific_hurricanes

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

I am very interested to see what 150 billion extra kilograms of moisture in the atmosphere does to the hurricane season

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

MLK Ultra posted:

I'm staying in GSMNP and it's super cool to see a dew point of like, 67 create clouds in real-time from the trees - then because of no winds / back building - create these random convection storms that dump 2" of rain in 45 minutes. Disappear leaving the temp from 86 to 68. Then do it again three hours later.

I mean that kind of literally as a WX nerd.
Whole region just kinda turned into a rainforest.
That sounds super cool, but also very wtf to actually experience :psyduck:

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

Unless posted:

I am very interested to see what 150 billion extra kilograms of moisture in the atmosphere does to the hurricane season

Sandy hit at the end of October so I'm guessing in 2 or 3 decades a new tradition for humanity will be celebrating the Winter Solstice by hunking down in the storm shelter with beans because the Thanksgiving 'Super Cane' has yet to stop spinning.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

blatman posted:

i think if we're gonna name something gigachad it should be a hypercane but thats beyond my pay grade

Just as long as no one tries stealing Lake Megachad's name

quote:

Lake Chad gave its name to the country of Chad. The name Chad is derived from the Kanuri word "Sádǝ" meaning "large expanse of water".[12] The lake is the remnant of a former inland sea, paleolake Mega-Chad, which existed during the African humid period. At its largest, sometime before 5000 BC, Lake Mega-Chad was the largest of four Saharan paleolakes, and is estimated to have covered an area of 1,000,000 km2 (390,000 sq mi), larger than the Caspian Sea is today, and may have extended as far northeast as within 100 km (62 mi) of Faya-Largeau.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Chad

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Just as long as no one tries stealing Lake Megachad's name

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Chad

Chad’s a smooth operator

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1556399020611870726?s=20&t=FdLtauTJfYfAhK0w4a4pjA

The climate just changes, no rhyme or reason.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

climate goes up climate goes down you can't explain that

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

climate goes in // weather comes out // that's what osaka seafood concern is all about

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Can we compromise and just use nuclear?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

no.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Kebnekaise (Swedish pronunciation: [kɛbnɛˈkâjsɛ];[3] from Sami Giebmegáisi or Giebnegáisi, "Cauldron Crest") is the highest mountain in Sweden. The Kebnekaise massif, which is part of the Scandinavian mountain range, has two main peaks. The glaciated southern peak used to be the highest at 2,120 metres (6,960 ft) above sea level, but has shrunk by 24 meters during the last 50 years,[4] making the northern icefree peak at 2,096.8 metres (6,879 ft) the highest.

lmao owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/inlovejhs/status/1556636286647033856?s=20&t=WC_PeGdl5lhvU6fpTbJ8Aw