Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's worse than that, split weapons use the more restrictive arc so they don't benefit from the wider arc granted to fully arm-mounted weapons.

edit: However, split weapons do not prevent the use of arm flipping at all:

quote:

After flipping its arms, the ’Mech may then fire any arm-mounted weapon into the rear firing arc instead of the usual firing arcs for those weapons. The one exception to this rule occurs if weapons are split between the arm and torso; while the arms can still flip to fire weapons that do not have a split location, split location weapons can only fire into the front arc.

Total Warfare page 106

edit 2: You also can't fire split weapons while prone: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/total-warfare/answered-firing-weapons-split-across-armtorso-while-prone/

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

That's a different Loren Coleman. The cryptozoologist usually comes up first in Internet searches.

This makes me sad for some reason.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

It's called Shrapnel and you need to get on that idea submission stat.

I'm almost at a one-year anniversary for my submission, position 23 to be reviewed. One day... :sadpeanut:

Best of luck to you!

As far as me writing a Jade Falcon story, it would probably get tossed as soon as they read the title... Attempted Murder Nothing but bird puns for as many pages as I can fill.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Floppychop posted:

I was trying to fit out a King Crab for the tabletop like the "Carapace" from MW5 for a friend who's just starting and loves that thing.

I quickly learned it doesn't have the crit slots available to put two UAC/5s in each arm. No big deal, I know there's a lot of video game fits that can't work on the tabletop.

But then I realized that the stock loadout doesn't technically work either. There's 8 crits slots in an arm and an AC/20 takes up 10. Is it just a thing of developer hand-waving that 2 of the AC/20 crit slots can splash over into the torso?

He'd probably wind up hating the twin UAC/5 setup anyway, FWIW. It's a very bad gun in BattleTech. 66% of the time your second shot will miss.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

PhotoKirk posted:

From what I saw posted of Pardoe's book it looks just as absurd as Harrison Bergeron. Stupid as hell, but the odds of me reading it are zero.

Harrison Bergeron is a fun but ridiculous short story though

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

He'd probably wind up hating the twin UAC/5 setup anyway, FWIW. It's a very bad gun in BattleTech. 66% of the time your second shot will miss.

I ended up throwing one together with 2 AC/5s in each arm. It probably won't be good, but it's close enough to the MW5 variant that he'll be happy.

It ended up with total:
4 -AC/5
4 tons AC/5 ammo
2 -LRM 15
3 tons LRM ammo

14 heat sinks
307 armor

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

The second shot "only" misses 58% of the time. UAC/5s unironically rule, they're cheap as poo poo and they add up surprisingly fast. They're the perfect combination of enough damage, enough range, and heavy enough that you don't have room to cram on a bunch of expensive secondary guns.

The Vulture Mk III D is one of the best mechs in the game for being dirt cheap thanks in large part to paired UAC/5s.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

As someone with ancestors killed by Nazis, maybe we can cool it on calling anyone who whines or gripes about this situation a Nazi

I’m not calling anyone ITT a Nazi, I’m saying there’s a subsection of the hobby that are literally Nazis and a company coming out against white supremacist confederate apologia makes them feel less at home.

I for one, am for that

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

PhotoKirk posted:

This makes me sad for some reason.

Bigfoot mech when.

And thanks for the luck. Fingers crossed.

SuperiorColliculus posted:

I’m not calling anyone ITT a Nazi, I’m saying there’s a subsection of the hobby that are literally Nazis and a company coming out against white supremacist confederate apologia makes them feel less at home.

I for one, am for that

Fair enough, I'll agree with you there.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Yeah. I will say some of the hyperbole I've seen regarding his confederate fapping is just pointless. My 'favorite' was someone in /btg/ saying that if you think General Lee was anything but "a retard who got lucky a lot" you are a 100% foaming at the mouth "bring back slavery" neo-confederate and uhhhh.... You're only really doing confederate propaganda if you go with the "the south had better generals and only lost to a zerg rush of manufacturing capacity, if a "fair fight" the south would have won" which is lost cause bullshit, they had bad generals too!

Yeah, part of the problem is it's much more appealing and looks cooler to counter disinformation with disinformation, whereas nuanced counterpoints come off as not a strong enough rebuttal. Plus it's the internet so everyone's inhibition is super low when it comes to being mean.

I'm starting to paint again tonight, almost couldn't remember how to start. Nova Cat first, Purifier colors. I'm basing the Kit Fox, Cougar, and Dasher off of Clix minis where the Spirit Cats had unique figures with those models. I'll post a case comparison with them when I'm done.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Bigfoot mech when.

I got you

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Actually it's this

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Bigfoot mech when.

And thanks for the luck. Fingers crossed.

Fair enough, I'll agree with you there.

Yeah, part of the problem is it's much more appealing and looks cooler to counter disinformation with disinformation, whereas nuanced counterpoints come off as not a strong enough rebuttal. Plus it's the internet so everyone's inhibition is super low when it comes to being mean.

I'm starting to paint again tonight, almost couldn't remember how to start. Nova Cat first, Purifier colors. I'm basing the Kit Fox, Cougar, and Dasher off of Clix minis where the Spirit Cats had unique figures with those models. I'll post a case comparison with them when I'm done.

How about you paint some good mechs. :troll:

For real, I want to leave the whole thing behind. Has there been any information leaks about the two new boardgames they announced back in april?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Cougars rule you shut your drat mouth.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I have one because of the pack I bought to make sure that Archon Reinhardt Steiner had his canonical ride. And to be honest I'm pretty much out of ideas for my last 25 mechs in the regiment so I just threw it in

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Well, their weird niche WW1 Battleship Zeppelins game funded in 20 minutes so I don't think CLG really needs to worry about Pardoe's dismissal hurting their bottom line.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, their weird niche WW1 Battleship Zeppelins game funded in 20 minutes so I don't think CLG really needs to worry about Pardoe's dismissal hurting their bottom line.

Well, we'll see if their much more popular and hotly anticipated mercenaries kickstarter does the same! I promise there are more people upset about a fiction writer than there are wanting plastic tanks and VTOLS! :zak:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Kickstarter stuff:
If I collected the Inner Sphere+ComStar Lance/L-II packs am I still missing something from A Game if Armored Combat? I didn't pick that kit up and I thought I saw someone mention here that there was an exclusive in it that wasn't the UrbanMech

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Kickstarter stuff:
If I collected the Inner Sphere+ComStar Lance/L-II packs am I still missing something from A Game if Armored Combat? I didn't pick that kit up and I thought I saw someone mention here that there was an exclusive in it that wasn't the UrbanMech

Exclusives:
A Game of Armored Combat: BattleMaster, Awesome, Thunderbolt, Catapult, Shadow Hawk, Wolverine*, Commando, Locust
Beginner Box (Original): Wolverine*, Griffin
Clan Invasion: Executioner, Timberwolf*, Grendel, Nova, Adder
Urbanmech: Kickstarter/Convention Only

*Units may be found in other exclusive boxes, or with a variant sculpt in a standard box

Upcoming:
Beginner Box (Mercenary Edition): Vindicator, Griffin
Alpha Strike Box: Wraith, Atlas(x), Archer(x), Warhammer(x), Phoenix Hawk(x), Blackjack (z), Wasp (x), Locust (x), Pouncer, Timberwolf (x), Warhawk (x), Firemoth (x), Nova (x)

(x) Definitely available in another box, but may be reposed
(z) Definitely a unique re-sculpt or repose

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
oh man

Heroscape is coming back. That means hopefully a shitload of modular hex terrain pieces too...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CGL has decided to make a big showing at GenCon, it seems.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
My new halloween ornament.

Or Home Security System. "This house protected by URBIE.. If you run, you might get away! (because Urbie is slow)"

(both? Both.)

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

CGL has decided to make a big showing at GenCon, it seems.

EEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Are there multiple different versions of the latest Techmanual book? Was just looking around to try and find one and I know the Total Warfare books seem to have multiple different prints out there right now.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The newer versions incorporate the errata that's been found but, other than that, it's the same book. I'm still using my first-edition print.

When BT makes significant changes to a rulebook they give it a new name (like how the changes to conventional units and partial cover came with the retirement of BattleTech Master Rules in favor of Total Warfare)

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Ah ok, so these 2 are effectively the same version of the game?:

https://www.amazon.ca/Classic-Battletech-Techmanual-Catalyst-Game/dp/0979204720

https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/24750/BattleTech-TechManual

Just that the newer one has an updated errata?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, if they have the same name they're basically the same book. It's not like some other games where 1st, 2nd, 3rd editions of a book with the same name are often wildly different.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The DriveThru RPG one is the most recent printing. The Amazon one is at least two four printings ago. It still has the "Classic" in the logo, which was retired years ago.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's dated Feb. 2008 so it's probably the same first printing that I have.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Gen Con people are doing unboxings and it looks like you get 13(!) pieces of cardboard terrain for Alpha Strike alongside some trees. That's really good. That's not Dropzone Commander good, but you have to buy THAT terrain separate. Two of those boxes would probably square a 6x4 play area no problemo.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Is there any explanation on why the technical readout books are such a weird shape? 50% of then page is blank white space, it does not go flat and reading the lore pages is a painful experience for me. They don't stack in a bookshelf with anything else and it would seem like the text and pictures were written for legal or A4 size instead.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
because they've always been that way.

It was also presented as a in-universe document.

I have enough of them now that they have their own section in my book case.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Comstar posted:

Is there any explanation on why the technical readout books are such a weird shape? 50% of then page is blank white space, it does not go flat and reading the lore pages is a painful experience for me. They don't stack in a bookshelf with anything else and it would seem like the text and pictures were written for legal or A4 size instead.

The older ones generally had more text and made better use of the space. They're designed that way so that they lay flat on the floor of the B Daltons I read them all in when I was ten.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
What's the deal with those titan-scale Battlemech "minis"? If they could get those under the price of Titans I would be down to play some 28mm Battletech

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Ah ok, so these 2 are effectively the same version of the game?:

Just that the newer one has an updated errata?

Yes, different covers for books of the same name usually just means errata (with one or two exceptions: there's a couple books that saw so many changes that they're basically revised editions, but still have the same name). Go to here:

https://bg.battletech.com/errata/

And hover over the cover images to see what prints are associated with what covers. The errata pdfs available there also break down the changes by printing, so you can see for example what's changed between the 2nd printing of TW and the 9th or whatever. In general, there's errata corrections in every print so the newer, the better, but for TechManual specifically I would not recommend the 1st or 2nd prints, as the amount of the errata there is the highest (the 3rd saw a ton of stuff corrected, with less in the later printings).

Xotl fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 6, 2022

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Does anyone have a link to an image of all the minis coming out in the Alpha Strike boxed set this Fall? Can't find a solid image anywhere anymore, it's weird.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Try these

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/general-discussion/mercenaries-kickstart-discussion-2-contract-negotiations-begin/msg1855956/#msg1855956

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
https://twitter.com/CGL_BattleTech/status/1553095688392941568?t=-H6MTX0gvJ-0HNZF0ottdA&s=19

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

Have they published a timeline for when the Alpha Strike box will be going up for sale outside Gencon?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Saman posted:

Have they published a timeline for when the Alpha Strike box will be going up for sale outside Gencon?

I keep seeing mention of November.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Saman posted:

Fall is the only official window they've given. There's rumors of November, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What's the changes for "Mercenary-themed" Beginner Box, beyond it having a Vindicator (and a 10 ton difference between the two mechs. How is that going to work?). Is it just the box art or are there other changes?