Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

wizardofloneliness posted:

That's called the inland northwest. Eastern WA, north Idaho, western Montana. That's what the radio stations call it anyway. It's too far from the Pacific but it's not the Midwest either. Plus the massive cultural differences from the PNW.

makes sense. i had always heard pnw as west of the rockies and north of reno, but in retrospect i primarily heard that from montanans who refer to the eastern part of the state as west dakota :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for yelling at a father selling flowers with his kid that he is a poo poo parent and to take his kid home and work alone

quote:

I live nearish a graveyard/memorial home which has its entrance right next to a busy intersection. Usually there a people there trying to sell flowers to the people entering the graveyard, which is fine. Today however, there was a gentleman there selling flowers with his 5-6 year old girl. I have several issues with this as a parent myself, main issues being that it’s a Saturday she shouldn’t be working in general but especially not on a weekend, it’s 95 degrees and they are standing in the blazing sun for hrs, and the girl looked absolutely miserable, but what really made me eventually yell out my window was that when the light turned red, they split up, dad going north and daughter going south. In the 1ish minute I sat there they ended up being nearly 200 feet away from each other, with dad having no way of seeing his daughter anymore as she walked around 50 random people and their cars, there is nothing preventing a sick person from snatching her and driving away. It made me so pissed all of this combined I did something I normally never do as a introvert, rolled down my window and told him to take his daughter home, and work alone and that he was a piece of poo poo parent.

My husband next to me told me that I can’t tell people that, I have no idea about his situation, if he’s an illegal immigrant who can’t do other work just trying to make money, or maybe nobody else could take care of the daughter. I told him if that was the case he could have brought a garden chair or a blanket and placed it in the sun and put his daughter there but he was straight up using her for child labor in my opinion.

Was I an rear end in a top hat?

EDIT: Most people in the comments are painting this dad as a poor, financially suffering person who some suggest might be homeless. I can assure you he is not. He is there 6 days a week selling a bouquet of flowers for $20, having 5 buckets each containing 10 bouquets, that’s $1000 a day, he’s prob doing better than most people assuming he is a suffering broke parent. If I drive past him several times he has restocked his buckets, suggesting he makes even more then $1000 I net sales.

EDIT again: I’m willing to admit I was wrong for telling him. But honestly shocked about how many people have zero issues with what he was doing.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

You see a person and their kid being miserable in 95 f heat, consistently, and don't think 'hm maybe I could spend a lil cash money on canned drinks and sealed snack food!' That's just miserable. I'm diagnosing that person as a scrooge.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for yelling at a father selling flowers with his kid that he is a poo poo parent and to take his kid home and work alone

poo poo, I should have gone into roadside floristry and made a cool $260k a year.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

value-brand cereal posted:

You see a person and their kid being miserable in 95 f heat, consistently, and don't think 'hm maybe I could spend a lil cash money on canned drinks and sealed snack food!' That's just miserable. I'm diagnosing that person as a scrooge.

Also, 1k a day is...not necessarily swimming in cash like she thinks. He's having to restock, after all, plus there's fuel costs. And whatever he might be spending on food and water while he's out there.

It's entirely possible that he's just making enough for it to be worth the effort.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for cancelling my niece’s college fund because she made fun of me?

quote:

Some background information:

As a teen I got diagnosed with testicular cancer which resulted in my left testicle getting removed.

As a teen it bothered and I struggled a lot because of it. But over the years I learned to accept it and moved on.

So now to the events that happened in the last few weeks. My sister has a daughter (17F) who I always had a great relationship with. I have a 6-figure job and therefore love to buy my niece things that my sister can’t afford. My sister makes minimum wage and is a single mother.
I always supported them financially and made a college fund for my niece.

A few weeks ago, my niece started making jokes about me being “just half a man” and things like that. I told her to stop but she continued to make these kinds of jokes. I spoke with my sister about it but she tried to defend her by saying that my niece is just “a teenage girl making stupid jokes” and I should drop it.
Yesterday was the final straw. We had a family dinner with everyone in my immediate family, around 20 people. I was talking to my mother and some cousins when my niece started loudly laughing. Every one started looking at her and asked why she was laughing. She pointed at me and said
“I just had to think about OP having only one nut. We should call him [female version of my name].”

I was mortified and immediately left. My sister called me after and said that I would be making a big deal out of nothing and that I made everything awkward by leaving. I told her I was done with her and my niece and that she can say goodbye to her college fund. My sister immediately started screaming at me that I would be ruining my niece’s life over a stupid joke.

My niece has called me crying a few hours ago because she wanted to go to the best college in our country that is very expensive but would give her a lot of opportunities. My family is split.
Some say she had it coming for humiliating me and some others say that I shouldn’t ruin her dreams because of a joke.

AITA for cancelling my niece’s college fund and ruining her dreams?

Not -a- stupid joke. Several of them.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah he made everything awkward, not your kid LOUDLY TALKING ABOUT HER UNCLE'S TESTICLES

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cowslips Warren posted:

When I was around that age, my aunt lost all her hair due to chemo. I can't even fathom thinking "oh I should make fun of this person now" even as spiteful and generally angry as I was at the time. That kid is probably mutilating stray cats in an alleyway and pulling the wings off flies.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

As someone who's sold at a lot at farmer's and craft markets I love the idea of people assuming people sell out of everything they have on display every day and make a sweet, steady income. Yeah. I *wish* it worked that way.

And sometimes people have to take their kids to work and make the best of it because they don't have other options. At least those folks are watching their kids that way. (At the farmer's market I've been going to this summer the lady at the stand next to me usually has her son with her, and I get to listen to the Youtube videos he's constantly watching on his mom's phone while she sells people free range chicken meat and eggs).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Why the gently caress does the niece even know her uncle only has one nut?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cythereal posted:

Her mother told her. It's called good parenting. Look it up. :smugdog:

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Maybe she asked him what he was doing for no-nut November?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

CaptainViolence posted:

i desperately want to know how that argument went. i didn't realize until recently that considering western montana part of the pnw was controversial, and this sounds like an absolutely buckwild version of that.

no :thejoke:

The earliest reference I could find with search is from 2017.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

somehow the fact that it's followed almost immediately by diy vape chat seems perfect to me

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

When I was an outpatient at the Army hospital there was a guy there who lost a nut in an explosion. He got a prosthetic ball so his scrotum didn't look weird. He would say it really sucked in winter because the prosthetic ball would get REALLY cold.

Anyways, he called himself The UniBaller.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA Am I the rear end in a top hat for requiring a dress code for one wedding guest?

quote:

I’m getting married next august and I consider myself a fairly laidback bride. I’m getting married outside so I’m fairly lenient with wedding attire because I know it’ll be hot and want people to wear something comfortable. However there is one guest I’m extremely worried about. My cousin in the last two years has developed an interesting sense of style. If you frequent tik tok and know the girls I’m referring to you’ll understand.( reference ‘tinyjewishgirl’ on tik tok if you want a better visual). she wears absolutely off the wall clothing and every time we go out the attention is on us and not in a good way. Most of our friends stopped inviting her out. She wears 5 six layers at a time. Think layering bras over clothing, shorts over pants. I told her I’d love to have her at my wedding but she’d need to wear my bridesmaids dress as is. No extra styling. She threw a huge fit and is refusing to attend my wedding which is fine but claims I’m bullying her for not having a basic style. I really don’t care what she wears but I refuse to have wedding pictures with her in fur hat or tights under her dress. My family thinks it’s stupid and I should apologize but for one day I want to be the center of attention, not her. Am I the rear end in a top hat ?
  • for those asking why I don’t allow her to attend as a guest she is refusing. I’d be fine having her as a guest to wear as she pleases. The other 4 bridesmaids picked out the dress they all agreed they liked, her included. She wanted to wear a fur bucket hat and leggings with it.

Honestly I kinda want to see a wedding where one of the party attempts to be the quirky star, but just looks dumb

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You just need to fly over the Rockies or go anywhere remotely near Portland, Oregon to see the difference between Eastern mountains and those in the West.

Flying into SoCal for the first time really put it into perspective, yeah. We don't have MOUNTAINS out here in PA, we have valleys. :v:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA Am I the rear end in a top hat for requiring a dress code for one wedding guest?

Honestly I kinda want to see a wedding where one of the party attempts to be the quirky star, but just looks dumb

She can come wearing whatever she wants, but just before the ceremony you ostentatiously hand her a clown nose and rainbow afro wig in front of everyone.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Breetai posted:

She can come wearing whatever she wants, but just before the ceremony you ostentatiously hand her a clown nose and rainbow afro wig in front of everyone.

A challenger to the other manic pixie dream girl who would dress up like the six flags mascot.

AITA for wanting a new steak?

quote:

Went to a restaurant and ordered a filet (fairly pricey) medium rare. Came out blue and already sliced. I flagged down the waiter, politely showed him the error, he apologized and took it away.

A few minutes later the plate came back, the same pre sliced pieces were just thrown in the oven and sent back to me. I have literally never seen this before so I asked if they were my slices, he said yes and got the owner. Owner said “we always just hit them in the oven if it’s too undercooked”. Personally those slices were destroyed, tasted terrible so I was expecting a new steak (again I didn’t slice it, they did). He comped half of it but refused to give me a new steak
But did he tip?

Eridine
Aug 11, 2011
Uncle, has only got one ball,

I was, going to college in the fall,

I made, some very bad jokes,

Now there'll be, no college, at all

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Eridine posted:

Burma Shave

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

A challenger to the other manic pixie dream girl who would dress up like the six flags mascot.

Lol, I forgot about that one. Anyone have it at hand?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA if I leave my job for a better salary If my company have done nothing but support me?

quote:

I work at an excellent company, I make a decent salary and it’s a great work environment.

However I’ve been offered a role making 35K a year more and I kind of would like to take that role.

It’s a very similar role and 2 of my ex colleagues work there. Both companies are flexible.

I kind of want to take the role as I’d be crazy to reject the offer. The jump is huge and it would open my doors to become financially stable. I live in an expensive city.

However, on the other hand, I have a great reputation at my current role and am doing really well.

I called my manager to let him know of my decision. He was really upset and he’s like no way you’re leaving etc. we’ve invested so much in you. We gave you a raise when you asked (a large raise).

I kind of want to stay but on the other hand I want a new learning opportunity so that I can grow and develop my skills.

I feel like my current company wouldn’t give me a raise to match the offer as they just recently gave me a raise.

My manager made me feel like I was betraying everyone.

Lots of colleagues left and came back and have no issues.

WIBTA to take a new offer rather than stay put?

Let me know

I once busted my rear end, and ignored good goon advice, in a lovely pay-under-the-table job for over 4 years, convinced if I just worked harder, my boss would reward me. Instead kiss-asses got promoted while my hours got cut. The idea of "work hard and get rewarded" is bullshit.

AITA for asking a girl out while she was at work?

quote:

Throwaway. Earlier tonight a few friends and I (27m) went out to eat for dinner. I’m newly single and the hostess was hot so I figured I’d shoot my shot. After she brought us to our table, I asked her what time she got off and we made some small talk. I called her gorgeous and threw in a few pick up lines. I thought it was going really well.

A little later I got up to get something from my car and talked to her some more at the stand. Told her that she could hangout with after she got off (within the hour). I went back to my table and next thing I know I’m being asked to leave. She told her manager that I was harassing her I guess. As I was walking out, I heard someone say “she’s 15, rear end in a top hat” so I guess that explains why everyone was so pissed.

We hadn’t gotten our food yet so my friends left with me. I was complaining about the restaurant overreacting and one of them called me a dick and said that I shouldn’t have bothered her in the first place. I had no way of knowing how old she was and if she told me right away or even that she wasn’t interested I definitely would have backed off.

AITA?

Always a good place to drop mad pick-up lines, at a girl's work!

AITA for canceling my engagement?

quote:

I 23 female just recently got engaged to my highschool sweet heart we have been together for about 4 years he is 25. We just had a bay last September making me at 11 months postpartum just starting to actually feel like my self again . I adore my baby girl and fiancé more than anything but I just think he crossed the line . One night I was in my daughters room with my sister 18 female and we started talking about our hidden talents one of my mind is quite embarrassing and I’m not sure I’m allowed to say on here but it just has to do with a woman’s body and air .

Well I can do that one command and I was telling my sister about it and she thought it was unbelievable and my fiancé chimes in and says it’s because I’m loose . My heart sank to my stomach and my mouth dropped opened I was honestly , shocked to say the least . He has never said anything like this before or ever disrespected me in that way . So I asked him “do you really think that ?” And he proceeded with yes any man would tell you that so I packed mine and my daughters things and left and have been at my sisters apartment for 6 days now he has called non stop and even dropped by a couples times he said that he was joking and never meant a it but I honestly think joke this disrespectful is just to hide how he really feels about me .

I will never not think it hilarious that some dudes think 100 dicks in a lady means her vagina gets loose, but sex with the same dick 100 times won't do anything. And, you know, the whole post-birth thing means a woman's vagina is always gaping like when she's in labor.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 7, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA if I leave my job for a better salary If my company have done nothing but support me?

I once busted my rear end, and ignored good goon advice, in a lovely pay-under-the-table job for over 4 years, convinced if I just worked harder, my boss would reward me. Instead kiss-asses got promoted while my hours got cut. The idea of "work hard and get rewarded" is bullshit.

OP's manager would leave for a better offer in a heartbeat. "Betraying". gently caress him.

However, OP is kind of a self-rear end in a top hat for seeming to be letting anyone at the company know before signing papers.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Eridine posted:

:lmao:

AITA: For being against my son (14M) from taking remedial math in High School?

quote:

Here's an overview of the situation. I'm (m44) dealing with my son entering High School in the Fall. For the most part, he's a good student, but due to his ADHD, he struggles with mathematics. His guidance counselor therefore suggested that he take remedial math, but I don't want this for a few reasons:

I feel it's better that he take college preparatory math at the very least so that he can get better quality math education. The world will be unforgiving if he doesn't get the same opportunities as his peers.

I'm terrified of him being made fun of for taking any classes less than college preparatory. Kids his age can be vicious and it's better not to take remedial classes for that reason if possible.

I'm going to find him a private tutor so that he can still get help with mathematics, while not suffering the embarrassment of taking a remedial level class in High School.

I really want to help him out without taking away any of his opportunities. But he seems to think that I'm pushing him too hard to succeed. Because of this, it's caused a bit of a rift between us. He isn't outright angry, but he is frustrated and feels he isn't being heard. I know that this is a hard choice, but I want to make one that he'll thank me for years later.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Invisible Clergy posted:

"I'm (m44) dealing with my son entering High School in the Fall"

Tells me all I need to know. I'm betting he's actually terrified of what the Joneses will say.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hey, leave us out of this

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, I forgot about that one. Anyone have it at hand?

Got you covered:

My [22F] boyfriend [23M] hates my clothes.

quote:

Together for 3 years. So when I first met my boyfriend, I wasn't really into fashion and I generally just wore jeans, T-shirts, sweaters (not that they looked bad, but they weren't really "me.") I started reading the FFA sub (used throwaway bc he knows my real username) several years ago and got way more into fashion.

Now this means that physically, I look really different than I did when I met my bf. My hair used to natural and collarbone length, now it's very short (pixie I guess)? My body doesn't look any different but I definitely dress it differently. I like to wear colorful bow-ties with suspenders (I call it "Six Flag Old Man style" haha) and I also have a fuzzy bucket hat that I sometimes pair with it. Generally if something is deliberately "unflattering" and stands out, I want to wear it. I know it looks weird, that's the point, but it's me and it's what I feel good in. My style is basically over-the-top colorful little old British man haha...i wear lots boxy menswear in vibrant colors with deliberately weird hats and accessories and Dad sneakers.

Anyway, my bf doesn't say anything about my clothes unless I ask him, but recently when we were going on a date night I wore this outfit that was like a vintage 90s print vest, bright trousers, and button down shirt with Dad sneakers (I posted a pic on another sub where I asked this question but I can't link here). I asked him what he thought of the outfit. And he said "Honestly, I'm not really a fan of it."

Now, I know I asked him, but if he loves me, how can he "not be a fan" of something that makes me happy? I probed a little deeper and asked him how he felt about my other clothes and he admitted that he loved me regardless of how I dressed/looked, but he preferred my hair longer and preferred my old way of dressing.

Obviously we didn't go to dinner that night. He still wanted to, but I just wanted to sit in bed. I didn't even want to look at him.

Now obviously he's allowed to have preferences- but I'm not a stranger, I'm his girlfriend. It feels borderline controlling to tell me he's "not a fan" of my style. Because what am I supposed to do? I'm obviously going to keep dressing this way so I have to think about in the back of my mind that he doesn't like it. awesome.

I don't even want to look at him now. He should have just told me he liked it. And more than that, he should have actually liked it because if he likes me, he should like anything that makes me happy.

I told my mom about the situation and she says that she agrees with him, she also isn't a fan of my style, that I can still dress this way if I want but that I can't expect everyone to like it. And that's fine, my mom doesn't have to like it. But a SO should definitely like it, or at least pretend to.

Am I overreacting?

TLDR: Boyfriend being controlling about my clothes, not sure if I am overreacting

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
lol i was a ~gifted~ kid or w/e and i ended up taking a summer school math class because i failed it even after getting tutoring at one of those group tutoring places. sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

Got you covered:

quote:

I like to wear colorful bow-ties with suspenders (I call it "Six Flag Old Man style" haha) and I also have a fuzzy bucket hat that I sometimes pair with it.

:yeshaha: thank you very much

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Captain Hygiene posted:

:yeshaha: thank you very much

Any time.

AITA for offering food to a homeless man?

quote:

Today, I noticed a man on the street, sleeping in a cardboard bed on the sidewalk, outside of a store I was shopping in. I always feel so horrible for the person when I see this. It makes me cry.

I have a few family members that struggle with addiction. Drug abuse is common with the homeless and I’ve been taught never to hand over cash. So, I buy food or giftcards.

When we saw him laying there my husband mentioned buying him something from Walmart. I always go for food. I bought him a whole cooked chicken and a gallon of juice. I picked these items because I felt they were the most filling and a lot of the time, food pantries and places that help the homeless can’t afford to give out meat. I chose juice instead of water because it has calories.

When I went to give the man the food, I was going to just leave it next to him and walk away. I don’t like to make people uncomfortable, but I saw he was awake and was hoping he could eat the chicken while it was hot and fresh. I also didn’t want it to spoil.

He was irate about me offering food and not cash. He had a very elaborate story and wanted 60 dollars cash, but not food. I told him I don’t carry cash. (I use card or Apple Pay) And honestly, I couldn’t afford that right now, myself. He took the food, walked over to a trash can, and threw it in the trash. I just hopped back in my vehicle and drove away.

I don’t regret my decision of providing him food, but, is this a thing? I don’t want to continue doing that if it isn’t actually helpful and makes people angry.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for asking a girl out while she was at work?

This is art. I don't know what parts to quote because I would quote it all, although I lost it at “she’s 15, rear end in a top hat”. Beautiful.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Invisible Clergy posted:

Got you covered:

My favourite part is the fact that he doesn't say a single thing about her awful style until she asks his opinion and then she gets offended at a simple "not a fan of it".

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Invisible Clergy posted:

Got you covered:

i feel like there's being controlling and there's letting someone know that you're such an insane eyesore that they don't want to be seen with you. which this chick and the bridesmaid lady both land in.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Invisible Clergy posted:

:lmao:

My son is bad at maths.

Well instead of putting him in a class that will help him with his maths, and allow him to get better, I will put him in the hard maths class, (which he will most likely fail). This is best for his education.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Foo Diddley posted:

on my lunch break, just crunchin into a bulb of garlic like it's an apple

Who knew Wario worked in a white collar job?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BrigadierSensible posted:

My son is bad at maths.

Well instead of putting him in a class that will help him with his maths, and allow him to get better, I will put him in the hard maths class, (which he will most likely fail). This is best for his education.

Well you see he has ADHD, so it only makes sense.

The amazing chef's kiss boomer brain moment of literally typing "he doesn't feel like he's being heard" followed by "well I know what's best and in fact some day he'll even thank me for it :smug:".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The good news is that math dad admitted he was wrong and said the kid would be going to the class that was recommended for him.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

moonmazed posted:

...tutoring at one of those group tutoring places.

Schools?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The good news is that math dad admitted he was wrong and said the kid would be going to the class that was recommended for him.

It's always nice when a jerk realizes they're being a jerk and works to unjerk what was jerked.