Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think they do direct ascent straight to the space station. Even if they did, there's several hours of slowly moving in towards the station to make sure nothing bad happens. So it's better to have another module they can move into to have more space, rather than just sitting in a tiny capsule. Even if it was just him, it must have still been cramped with all the supplies he'd need for the months of travel. Way worse than sitting in a gemini capsule for 2 weeks.

They usually take a couple days to get to the station, though they have done pretty direct ascents before. I suspect they use the orbital module for garbage disposal when they leave, I can't actually find anything about it anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm pretty sure they do direct ascent at least sometimes because I remember reading that they wanted to get it working so that the astronauts could just stay in the pressure suits on the trip up rather than taking them off for a day and then having to futz with putting them back on and get strapped back in.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
The PRK, performing hundreds of questionable human experiments, have invented a crude form of stasis. This is the missing link to deeper space exploration. Everyone teams up and season 4 sends Danny and space baby to Betelgeuse.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao this loving episode. It's good again. Awoo (wolf howl).

They kept the loving mars baby. Lol.
Big West Wing energy in that Ellen speech.
Aleida's going to jail for destroying evidence
The DPRK dude camping for a year on Mars

It's amazing, hopefully they can land it in the next couple of episodes

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah, should only take a few more episodes to but a bow on everything.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

President gay so what

Anyway in re: the writing, yeah it's fun to see how they're all frantically cramming on a "how to salvage a poo poo storyline" textbook or something. One thing I've gradually learned about TV watching is that in a modern show especially, when you have people sitting in a room talking about how they're going to get out of X situation by doing A, wait no that won't work, ok here's our long-shot last-ditch plan B, then the scene ends, you are guaranteed that what they end up doing is not B but Z. You never say "we're going to do thing" and then just do thing. It's gotta be a feint and a surprise. So Ellen's last-moment Selina Meyer move was telegraphed pretty hard but it sure did the job of getting the show back on the rails.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

withak posted:

Yeah, should only take a few more episodes to but a bow on everything.

There's one episode left.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:thejoke:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Show was always on the rails we just didn’t like the stations it was passing thru

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
when do we get Premier Nazarbayev

also wish someone had interrupted Dev's "we are doing such GROUNDBREAKING work" speech with "yeah okay what about the Roanoke colony"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dev's speech about how people succeed despite adversity was meant to be inspirational (I think) but honestly all I could hear was a rich dude saying,"I'm willing to let people die to get what I want."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jerusalem posted:

Dev's speech about how people succeed despite adversity was meant to be inspirational (I think) but honestly all I could hear was a rich dude saying,"I'm willing to let people die to get what I want."

Yeah, he's literally the king of England sending people to their deaths hoping they make some money first before they die.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I trust the writing enough to not think that was the case. Ellen’s speech yes, his not so much.

But then again he’s mister “I came up with the solution to global warming” so I’ll give it 50/50 on intent

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Everyone who was saying the show was just gonna leave it as don’t ask don’t tell us good and this show is just a centrist talkpiece etc is dumb and I told you so!!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

teacup posted:

Everyone who was saying the show was just gonna leave it as don’t ask don’t tell us good and this show is just a centrist talkpiece etc is dumb and I told you so!!

representation isn't enough without change in the material conditions. still lib poo poo

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

tokin opposition posted:

representation isn't enough without change in the material conditions. still lib poo poo

Go watch a commie show then

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

teacup posted:

Show is called for ALL mankind.... THIS was the commie show all along! :aaa:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

teacup posted:

i am

space is inherently communist

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Jerusalem posted:

Yup, his life isn’t the one on the line. And if colonists get cold feet he’d be happy to engage overrides to make up their minds.

Minor quibble, wish the show put more work into the news broadcasts to get them past generic cutscenes quality. Most they have is that eagle news or whatever guy and even that doesn’t make sense as he criticizes a sitting GOP president.

Show a sitcom set on Mars, or kids buying Helios toys, or school kids calling Ed. Something with more energy. Maybe Weird Al singing about a Mars baby, he did Galavant so why not.

At least failson #2 didn’t show up, although guessing he’ll help attack NASA HQ as Margo is confronted.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yup, his life isn’t the one on the line. And if colonists get cold feet he’d be happy to engage overrides to make up their minds.

Minor quibble, wish the show put more work into the news broadcasts to get them past generic cutscenes quality. Most they have is that eagle news or whatever guy and even that doesn’t make sense as he criticizes a sitting GOP president.

Show a sitcom set on Mars, or kids buying Helios toys, or school kids calling Ed. Something with more energy. Maybe Weird Al singing about a Mars baby, he did Galavant so why not.

At least failson #2 didn’t show up, although guessing he’ll help attack NASA HQ as Margo is confronted.

I liked the news broadcasts though I do wish there were more of them (although dem rush limbaugh I'm fine if they gently caress off with that guy), but they really really should have used the landfills full of 4x3 LCD screens still extant if they were just gonna have letter boxed on all the unconvincing 16x9 sets.

I'm guessing they are gonna Oklahoma city NASA in the next ep unless the prez does something more than come out. The lingering jobs bill that she can't get the votes on could depressurize that but since she just did a wheelie over the guy that wants to defund nasa I'm guessing it'll be a couple hundred people dying instead to make them untouchably.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

On the podcast they mentioned producing the fake TV scenes convincingly is the hardest thing to do on the entire show.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hyrax Attack! posted:

While it was a pretty cliche inspirational speech, I don't think Karen or any astronauts would disagree. Plenty of people died in the first few seasons but they were happy to carry on.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

I'm only midway through S2 right now, just started watching this, so I'm not looking at the thread closely - I was just curious if the family and relationship dramas are considered a weak part of this show by a lot of people. I'm really enjoying all the alternate history and space exploration stuff, excited about all the developments and where that might lead - but at this point I am flat out skipping every scene with Karen in it because nothing she's done has been interesting and I kind of can't stand her. Likewise with Ed - at work, all good, but every time it gives him a personal storyline I like him less and less. I just had to cut through the breakdown about Shane when Kelly tells him she's applying to Annapolis because it was so predictable and bad.

Gordo's sadness has been a decent turn for his character at least because he was pretty unlikeable in S1 and now I'm at least rooting for him. Although they've made Tracy into an rear end in a top hat. Ellen and Pam's relationship never felt like anything more than a prop and seems to have been discarded anyway. The emotional drama just isn't that good.

Molly's been my favourite character on the show so far, and that's mostly because her attitude is great and I like her actress, but also because she just ignores all of that bullshit. She's the only one I actually like, I guess. I liked Deke too but they had him go 'lesbians disgust me' *dies* so that's over.

Anyway I dunno - it's a good show but I feel like it's really getting lost in some bad low stakes drama and it's eating up too much of the show. I'm here for the story of a hopeful future and weird alternative developments, not who's having a marital dispute this week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Karen's season 2 plotline was widely panned by a lot of people (myself included) in this thread, yeah.

Enjoy the rest of the show!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

i am. i'll just make it easy on myself by getting a coffee when it looks like karen's going be doing her things for a while.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 7, 2022

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m never sold by the actor playing Dev. Maybe it’s also because his character hasn’t been given much depth. But I don’t buy him as a Musk analog, and that whole monologue about his poor upbringing was incredibly didactic and… boring. Now they’ve appeared to write him out and all I can say is, blegh. That went nowhere.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Vegetable posted:

I’m never sold by the actor playing Dev. Maybe it’s also because his character hasn’t been given much depth. But I don’t buy him as a Musk analog, and that whole monologue about his poor upbringing was incredibly didactic and… boring. Now they’ve appeared to write him out and all I can say is, blegh. That went nowhere.

They couldn't or wouldn't make him an out-right villain, and his character was a one-dimensional take on a tech-bro anyway. Making him anodyne and giving him a sad childhood story, which is a recurring theme with nearly every character on the show, doesn't help any.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Jerusalem posted:

Soooo, you're going to start a colony of Thousands, on the premise that the first Jamestown lost 80% of it's population? Insurance?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Grand Fromage posted:

On the podcast they mentioned producing the fake TV scenes convincingly is the hardest thing to do on the entire show.

Did they say why? I'd have thought that people making a TV show would have very little trouble making scenes of a TV show

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Ninurta posted:

Soooo, you're going to start a colony of Thousands, on the premise that the first Jamestown lost 80% of it's population? Insurance?

You could put "gruesome death likely but not guaranteed" and still get plenty of signups.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Did they say why? I'd have thought that people making a TV show would have very little trouble making scenes of a TV show

TV, the famously easy and uncomplicated thing to make.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

roomtone posted:

i am. i'll just make it easy on myself by getting a coffee when it looks like karen's going be doing her things for a while.
I’ve reached the point where if there’s a scene where there’s just two people in a room talking for more than five seconds, I usually hit the “forward 10 seconds” button a couple times. But that may be more on me rather than the show.

Wafflecopper posted:

One thing is you’re going to get a bunch of obsessed internet people doing things like “you can clearly see at 0:24 that this thing doesnt match what was said seventeen episodes ago where…”

I mean even this thread just spent the weekend dissecting the size and capabilities of a Soyuz capsule, which was mentioned once or twice and was onscreen for maybe five seconds.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder if the change to PRK from DPRK is because this is a Sony Pictures show? It’s possible they’re still smarting from the famous hack of all their data and have used this as a fig leaf to say “look, in this alternate timeline the People’s Republic of Korea is a completely different political entity from the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, and we’re not saying anything bad about you”.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

roomtone posted:

I'm only midway through S2 right now, just started watching this, so I'm not looking at the thread closely - I was just curious if the family and relationship dramas are considered a weak part of this show by a lot of people.

Certainly the weakest part, dipping into outright weak for me at times, yep. Season 2 Karen is the absolute nadir so far, so if you can power through that you're golden.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’ve reached the point where if there’s a scene where there’s just two people in a room talking for more than five seconds, I usually hit the “forward 10 seconds” button a couple times. But that may be more on me rather than the show.

This is me and all modern shows

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah I understand making a believable newscast would be hard but feels like they’re barely trying. Robocop nailed it, the onion’s news videos were top tier, and command & conquer news cutscenes were well handled. Even that garbage Red Dawn remake bothered to get some Seattle news folk for montages.

roomtone posted:

Yeah as someone else noted having her go from astronaut housewife to bar owner to space hotel operator to CEO of a MegaCorp was a bit clunky. Make Molly the CEO of Helios, she has the qualifications and Molly vs Margo is a much better arc.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Terror Sweat posted:

This is me and all modern shows
I hated Loki because about 80% of it was 2 people talking in a room for 5 minutes, then they walked into another room and talked for 5 more minutes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

The podcast never goes into a ton of detail unfortunately, the production guy just said that capturing the authentic vibe of how lovely 90s TV looked is very hard when you don't have the equipment they used and trying to do it with VFX doesn't look right.

E: There's also the drawing a dog problem. Most people watching the show know what 90s TV looked like, as opposed to making a Soviet starship that never existed.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 7, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

yeah there's a massive shift in how stuff looked pretty much every decade until the 2000s-now when we're just kinda adding ever more pixels to an already perfected format

doing it well with aftereffects is a pain in the rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

my favorite thing about Karen is that she somehow had Soviet connections to set up the water deal everyone else, including NASA, was surprisingly chill with