Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I got some lions manes. How would you prep for pizza?

Depends on what I want them to do on pizza. Im a huge fan of sweating hericium in a skillet to get some of the water out before use (and if you get a lot, that broth is amaaaazing in soup). They tolerate this well and it really brings out the seafood texture— this is how I prep for “crab cakes.”

However if you’re looking for something juicy you could slice it thinly and just shingle it on the pizza, but use very high heat to ensure that it cooks, as some hericiae are GI irritants if undercooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

elise the great posted:

Depends on what I want them to do on pizza. Im a huge fan of sweating hericium in a skillet to get some of the water out before use (and if you get a lot, that broth is amaaaazing in soup). They tolerate this well and it really brings out the seafood texture— this is how I prep for “crab cakes.”

However if you’re looking for something juicy you could slice it thinly and just shingle it on the pizza, but use very high heat to ensure that it cooks, as some hericiae are GI irritants if undercooked.

I'm not using anything to dome so ill go with your first option. Should I be using butter as is recommended for straight or just dry?

This is reminding me I need to do some fermented mushroom juice.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I’ve done both with little difference between the two outcomes, but for pizza it’s probably good to add just a little oil. They shed water pretty readily without oil tho.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Hope this counts, these are cultivated not foraged, but still proud my yellow oysters are coming in.

Picked and cooked the clump in the first pic a couple nights ago, , and then the others exploded and are what you see now:

From two days ago morning, ate them they night.

What milk crate incubator #2 was like two days ago

What it's like now.

The backside of #1...I assume even if they're more pale than the rest, they're still ok to eat?

And milk crate #3, which was basically nothing two days ago and now has little sproutlings.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

My first year foraging for morels. We had some pretty bad wildfires last summer. These were all harvested from a burn within eyesight of the car parked on an FSR just off a main highway.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Wow. Great first time. You are awesome at this.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Mantle posted:

My first year foraging for morels. We had some pretty bad wildfires last summer. These were all harvested from a burn within eyesight of the car parked on an FSR just off a main highway.

Oooo which burn? The partner and I have struck out with morels the past 3 years or so, but this year we went out and tried the Schneider Fire burn and had amazing luck. We're probably ruined for morels because we'll never have that luck again, I suspect.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Guido Merkens posted:

My wife and I have moved to Seattle and desperately want to go out looking for mushrooms but a) don’t know the areas well yet and b) have a small baby so we can’t exactly go on longer hikes. Anyone from this area know of some easy to get to locations where we might enjoy looking for mushrooms? I’m not asking for your secret chanterelle spots or anything, just wondering where a nice starting point might be.

We’re signing up to be members of the puget bay mycological group so I’m sure I’ll get some leads there, but always fun to ask a goon. Thanks!

Also, hello fellow Seattle mushroom goon! If you sign up for the Mycology society and plan to make it to any fall outings, send me a PM. Me and my person are both training to be guides and will be multiple fall outings if we can make it happen. They can be a bit far out but they're generally really family friendly if you can make them. We're really hoping for a great fall chantarelle season this year.

Also also, hi Elise :) Sorry we haven't been out mushrooming again. I owe you some morels.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

MEIN RAVEN posted:

Oooo which burn? The partner and I have struck out with morels the past 3 years or so, but this year we went out and tried the Schneider Fire burn and had amazing luck. We're probably ruined for morels because we'll never have that luck again, I suspect.

I don't know the name of the burn but it's near Merritt BC. There are tons of locals harvesting there so I don't think it's a secret.

This general area was shown to me by a local mushroom guy but not this specific spot. I think we got lucky, but at the same time I do think they are EVERYWHERE.

The real place to be lucky is having a burn in an area that is accessible by car, close to the highway, and close to where you live. Also be lucky that your house doesn't burn down the previous summer.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

No worries on the morels, I got to pick the Schneider burn this year too! I had a couple first timers with me and was recovering from covid, so I ended up with only about five pounds, which is still an absolutely bonkers volume of morels and I ended up having to find a dehydrator on Buy Nothing.

Now they’re saying chants are popping near Port Gamble already, just little crusty buttons so far, but I’m READY for this year to pop off. Really wanna find some matsutake this year too, and follow up on grisettes I found last year near Mailbox but didn’t eat because it was my first time finding them. And I hear the forest roads are out of snow in Hyak…

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i felt kinda bad on completely striking out down where i live on my first spring looking for them but i figure it's just how it goes for people occasionally. once this summer heat backs off a bit in a couple months i can maybe get some fall foraging done and see what i can find in my neck of the southeastern woods.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Here's a giant Lions mane that I grew from a kit.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

drat we had the worst May for morels this year in NY. I guess we need more fires

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

elise the great posted:

No worries on the morels, I got to pick the Schneider burn this year too! I had a couple first timers with me and was recovering from covid, so I ended up with only about five pounds, which is still an absolutely bonkers volume of morels and I ended up having to find a dehydrator on Buy Nothing.

Now they’re saying chants are popping near Port Gamble already, just little crusty buttons so far, but I’m READY for this year to pop off. Really wanna find some matsutake this year too, and follow up on grisettes I found last year near Mailbox but didn’t eat because it was my first time finding them. And I hear the forest roads are out of snow in Hyak…

Yeah, I think between the burn and the cool weather and the rain, we won't get a repeat of this morel year for a long time. We ended up with about 5 lbs each trip (went twice), so a lot of those went into the oven to dry. Now we have jars of yummy dry morels.

I'm going to be out on the peninsula visiting family this coming weekend and I am absolutely checking my spots to see if some chant buttons are popping up. It's definitely going to be a weird year. Happy to share some spots we've had some luck with Matsutake if you want. Last year was the first year we ever had luck that wasn't dumb and random.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tylopilus alboater, primo edible

LtK
Dec 6, 2011

The Universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience.
Can anyone help me figure out what's in my backyard?

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

LtK posted:

Whereabouts are you? Generally speaking that looks very much like a non-edible.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LtK posted:

Little brown mushrooms are notoriously difficult to identify. Definitely not a safe edible.

LtK
Dec 6, 2011

The Universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience.
Thanks for the replies. I'll be leaving it alone then.

I'm in Texas, and did skim through https://www.texasmushrooms.org/indexf.htm but didn't find anything quite matching.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What the heck!! I have had this Philodendron Monstera for a year and the moss pole for maybe 6 months and this morning I noticed this wild mushroom sprouted up. Is it bad?

edit: I used an app that is a mushroom identifier and it said it was a flowerpot parasol, and it won't harm my plant but it lives on decaying plant matter, so I must have some rotten roots (if the app was correct)

blue squares fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 4, 2022

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

It’s not necessarily the plant, like your potting mix has organic material in it right?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I've got a bunch of different types of mushrooms growing in my backyard in coastal NC. Obviously I'm gonna eat at least one of them, which will poison me the least??

Or

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 6, 2022

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Second one looks like a bolete which is a lot less likely to kill you. Look for fine pores under the cap. Jokes aside though don't eat anything you don't have a positive ID on.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Slugworth posted:

I've got a bunch of different types of mushrooms growing in my backyard in coastal NC. Obviously I'm gonna eat at least one of them, which will poison me the least??

Or

What kinda trees is that second one growing near?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

the yeti posted:

What kinda trees is that second one growing near?
Wish I could say, but it might require some sort of Tree Megathread. I also don't remember exactly where I saw that one, but if it was where I think, and I've googled trees properly, I'm gonna say it was under a sweet gum tree. The leaves seem like a match, and I definitely have spiky little balls all over my yard.

The other possible spot would have been under this guy, which I can't id.

Edit: also, yeah, I don't actually plan on eating any of these, I promise. I like mushrooms, but not enough to roll the dice.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Slugworth posted:

Wish I could say, but it might require some sort of Tree Megathread. I also don't remember exactly where I saw that one, but if it was where I think, and I've googled trees properly, I'm gonna say it was under a sweet gum tree. The leaves seem like a match, and I definitely have spiky little balls all over my yard.

The other possible spot would have been under this guy, which I can't id.

Edit: also, yeah, I don't actually plan on eating any of these, I promise. I like mushrooms, but not enough to roll the dice.

Its just a good diagnostic tool, and yes hard spiky balls are sweet gum.

You could take a crack at id yourself with: https://boletes.wpamushroomclub.org/
My guess is some species of Tylopilus. First one is some kind of Russula but they’re a pain in the rear end to ID to species

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Cool, thanks for the info!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The pictured tree appears to be a willow oak btw.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

First one is probably a russula brevipes, nontoxic but bug-riddled and taste like poo poo. However the russula family is a massive one and full of absolute crap.

That second one has my attention. Reticulation like that on the stipe is associated with some of the tastiest boletus species. See if you can get a positive ID on that one for sure and then try to recall where you found it, bc if it’s a tasty sumbitch you’re going to treasure that spot in the future.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

elise the great posted:

Reticulation like that on the stipe is associated with some of the tastiest boletus species. See if you can get a positive ID on that one for sure and then try to recall where you found it, bc if it’s a tasty sumbitch you’re going to treasure that spot in the future.

There are some disgusting bitter Tylopilus species with brown reticulation but in general yeah it’s worth paying attention to. Upside is it’s a great diagnostic feature while you’re learning how that bolete key I linked works.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

For the bolete, press your thumb into the underside of the cap. If it bruises blue it’s probably not any good. If it doesn’t bruise or only slightly bruised, lick it. If it’s really bitter it’s not poisonous but not palatable.

If it’s not bitter, it’s probably really tasty.

Also that tree is a willow oak, for the record. Sweet gums have different leaves. Efb

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Found these in the tomato bed on our cedar mulch. They bad?

(Front Range CO, August, after a rain, no spore print yet, stems look solid)

edit: forgot how to use img tags

Justa Dandelion fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 8, 2022

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Nah, not bad but not particularly edible, coprinus type (probably ink parasols). Means your soil is really healthy and has a high content of compost/nitrogen/phosphorus. If these are growing don’t fertilize anytime soon, they’re a very good sign of plentiful soil nutrition.

If you have kids (or mushroom nerds) around, it’s fun to watch them turn into ink to release their spores.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Dik Hz posted:

For the bolete, press your thumb into the underside of the cap. If it bruises blue it’s probably not any good. If it doesn’t bruise or only slightly bruised, lick it. If it’s really bitter it’s not poisonous but not palatable.

If it’s not bitter, it’s probably really tasty.

Also that tree is a willow oak, for the record. Sweet gums have different leaves. Efb
If another bolete grows, I'll give it a shot. To clarify, there are multiple species of trees in my yard, the sweetgums weren't pictured. I've also got water oak, crepe myrtle, and Bradford pear (I know, I know). Previous owner was apparently super into trees.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

elise the great posted:

Nah, not bad but not particularly edible, coprinus type (probably ink parasols). Means your soil is really healthy and has a high content of compost/nitrogen/phosphorus. If these are growing don’t fertilize anytime soon, they’re a very good sign of plentiful soil nutrition.

If you have kids (or mushroom nerds) around, it’s fun to watch them turn into ink to release their spores.

Lol, I just check back out in the bed and they've already dissolved. Crazy. Thanks for the help.

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO
Anyone know what this is?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Wild guess, maybe a birds nest fungus that hasn't opened up yet?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Consider rubber cup, Gallela rufa

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Too tall for rufa? I'm stumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

GodspeedSphere posted:

Too tall for rufa? I'm stumped.

I wondered about that but I think if it was pretty full of water that’s a reasonable shape