Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

theironjef posted:

Also a CGI Leslie Nielsen. We already know he can play Dracula.

Oscar Isaac all "Surely you have my money, you big loving nerd."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Mr Hootington posted:

People who facilitate the "resurrection" of people through CGI should be in prison and people who want it should also be in prison.

Racking my brain to think of any actor that would give less of a poo poo what you did with his lifeless corpse and the rights contained therein than Nielsen. He's loving it (being dead).

Besides that wasn't serious. Julian Sands should play MCU Dracula.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 7, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Some official confirmation that Giancarlo Esposito did meet with Marvel

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1556056880367165442?s=21&t=gEdXNg2v6-eJFNsO1m8z7w

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

theironjef posted:

Racking my brain to think of any actor that would give less of a poo poo what you did with his lifeless corpse and the rights contained therein than Nielsen. He's loving it (being dead).

Besides that wasn't serious. Julian Sands should play MCU Dracula.

*slams gavel repeatedly*
Life in prison

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was just at Galaxycon Raleigh and they had to open his panel times saying "Don't say a loving word about Marvel" to the audience.

(probably not those exact words.)

He's probably really tired having to address those since no matter what he says will be taken as news one way or another.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

if a cg dead person shows up it's because their family got paid and if their family doesn't care enough to not take the check then why should I

Some families might not be in a secure finamcial position and may feel unfairly compelled. Also, I guess my concern is that one of the mega companies are gonna buy up hundreds of likenesses and go to town making the most tasteless and awful poo poo.

Also, it's never worked. It always feels off and creepy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s just because you notice when it’s bad.

Nic Cage has been dead for 17 years.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don’t think I care about “resurrected” cgi actors. I don’t really like it. It’s creepy. It’s can’t think of an instance where it helped a film more than it hurt. Someone will inevitably cross the line and make something really gross. But hopefully it will tank and someone will get fired and then Disney will be bought by National Geographic and we’ll all be very confused.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

He's probably really tired having to address those since no matter what he says will be taken as news one way or another.

God I can only imagine what a pain in the rear end it must be to be an actor rumored to be in the MCU. Like, even if he's not cast as Prof X I'm sure that people will still be asking for years if he's gonna be Xavier in another universe or some poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I never saw Afterlife, so I can’t say whether Ghost Egon looked bad or not, but I did see the toy version that looked like he was covered in blue ghost cum.

I doubt Peter Cushing would have given a poo poo and part of me thinks Carrie Fisher would have found the whole thing funny, but the Harold Ramis ghost is the one use of a dead actor that feels genuinely distasteful. There’s no way he’d have signed off on the use of his likeness for some soulless Sony cash-grab, especially after all the baggage surrounding a “Ghostbusters 3” in the decades before he actually died.

In general though if the recreation is done well and the family signs off and is properly compensated, then who cares? Studios are just going to keep doing it precisely for all the neckbeards who clap and cheer when cumshot Egon shows up, so I can’t really muster up the effort to care either way unless it’s a particularly gross and tone-deaf use of the practice. :shrug:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think it depends on how they're used. Like, RotS had that CGI Cushing at the end buy he's just standing there, that's fine; having him be an actual presence with lines in Rouge One was distracting and creepy as hell. The CGI Donald Pleasance in Halloween Kills was fine too because he doesn't do anything much or out of character, you can believe it's just archival footage.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Opopanax posted:

The CGI Donald Pleasance in Halloween Kills was fine too because he doesn't do anything much or out of character, you can believe it's just archival footage.

Apparently that was done practically.

I didn't have an issue visually with Cushing in Rogue One (Leia looked odd though), but also... I don't generally mind recasting? If Sartana changed actors for one film in the middle of the series, I don't see why they can't get someone to new when the actor's been dead for years. Somebody who at least kinda looks like the original actor I'd hope, but that doesn't always happen and sometimes works ok.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't like the use of dead actors' likenesses except maybe for the rare instance where they were already performing in the film and they're trying to complete the film without that character just being gone for conspicuous stretches.

I don't even think it should be up to the family. Why do they get a say? It's not like an old couch the actor left behind, it's the actor themselves. They don't even take your organs when you die unless you specifically approve it ahead of time, and that would actually save people's lives or improve them in real tangible ways. Can't do that but it's perfectly fine to Weekend at Bernie's me for a Burger King commercial? That's messed up.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Opopanax posted:

Like, RotS had that CGI Cushing at the end buy he's just standing there, that's fine
That was actually an actor (Wayne Pygram specifically).

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 7, 2022

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I never saw Afterlife, so I can’t say whether Ghost Egon looked bad or not, but I did see the toy version that looked like he was covered in blue ghost cum.

I doubt Peter Cushing would have given a poo poo and part of me thinks Carrie Fisher would have found the whole thing funny, but the Harold Ramis ghost is the one use of a dead actor that feels genuinely distasteful. There’s no way he’d have signed off on the use of his likeness for some soulless Sony cash-grab, especially after all the baggage surrounding a “Ghostbusters 3” in the decades before he actually died.

In general though if the recreation is done well and the family signs off and is properly compensated, then who cares? Studios are just going to keep doing it precisely for all the neckbeards who clap and cheer when cumshot Egon shows up, so I can’t really muster up the effort to care either way unless it’s a particularly gross and tone-deaf use of the practice. :shrug:

The thing is, he "looked" ok. But then he's in it for way too long and and he never speaks and it feels so awkward that people are monologuing at him while he just smiles and nods.

Afterlife was the most beautifully shot and technically well-crafted soulless corporate cash grab I've ever seen. It was as if Leonardo DaVinci had painted goatse.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

TwoPair posted:

God I can only imagine what a pain in the rear end it must be to be an actor rumored to be in the MCU. Like, even if he's not cast as Prof X I'm sure that people will still be asking for years if he's gonna be Xavier in another universe or some poo poo.

I’d love to have that problem. Put the word out that people want me for a Marvel movie. Not going to lose any sleep over having a few million potentially hanging over my head.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
the MCU will become the x-men verse in a few years. the x-men will take over everything.

and that's a good thing

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
can neither confirm nor deny rumors that the link under my avatar may or may not be incorporated into the MCU in the near future, and that I may or may not have a starring role in the next phase as popular X-men character "Ugly John"

thank you

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Lol Professor X has been trending nonstop since that clip was posted. Now Feige has to announce the Xavier casting at D23

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
“Oh woe is me,people want me to be in a gajillion dollar movie as one of the beloved main characters,please stop asking boo hoo”.

loving actors

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I actually don't consider Afterlife too soulless in the sense that I think Reitman was fully emotionally invested in the whole legacy thing, and probably thought, along with his Dad and Ackroyd that the end was a tribute. They all knew and were close friends with him after all.

BUT It does not play out that way on screen though, it's way, way too much. And it's a shame they could have done the ending with a spectral figure that implies Egon instead of go for a full digital recreation. That would have been more tasteful.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Karloff posted:

I actually don't consider Afterlife too soulless in the sense that I think Reitman was fully emotionally invested in the whole legacy thing, and probably thought, along with his Dad and Ackroyd that the end was a tribute. They all knew and were close friends with him after all.

BUT It does not play out that way on screen though, it's way, way too much.
And it's a shame they could have done the ending with a spectral figure that implies Egon instead of go for a full digital recreation. That would have been more tasteful.

I think that's kind of the core problem here. A lot of the time when they do something like this the people involved probably legitimately wanted some kind of heartfelt tribute but lacked the necessary restraint or got goaded into it by studio notes and the end result just comes off as horribly cringey instead.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah the Egon one was almost good but it just slightly crosses the line. If it were him smiling like a force ghost and disappearing then whatever, but all the speeches and everything just drew it out a bit past ghoulish

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I actually really like what they did with Afterlife to a point. The opening where they don’t show him, the long tease, and then finally the big moment where he’s there. But that should have just been a moment and they linger on it and gets weird. I’d they had more restraint it would have really worked for me as a heartfelt tribute.

Rogue One didn’t offend me but it all felt unnecessary. And ultimately that film seemed too distracted linking it to New Hope to just focus on its own stuff. The Carrie Fisher scene was kind of cool but the whole thing felt too much like a prologue than a stand alone.

So yeah. I guess I just think it hasn’t been used well but in theory could be.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The other thing is that the Ramis thing honestly gives Ghostbusters as a franchise way more pathos than it ever had or deserved. It's a pretty deadpan comedy where Dan Akyroyd gets his dick sucked by a ghost. For that reason the Ramis thing just feels like nostalgia bait imo.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Arist posted:

The other thing is that the Ramis thing honestly gives Ghostbusters as a franchise way more pathos than it ever had or deserved.

That’s a problem with the majority of Ghostbusters media released post-Extreme Ghostbusters. They’re not saviors. They’re barely heroes. The tech does its job. No more. No less.

It’s perfectly understandable to want to pay tribute to your deceased friend, but Afterlife ain’t the way, chief.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really don’t mind Afterlife having more pathos. The remake tried to recapture the magic of Ghostbusters as a comedy and it was a bit of a disaster. Afterlife did it’s own thing from Ghostbusters. I enjoyed that. And it’s ok to get more sentimental. Most of us get more sentimental and less edgy as we get older. It’s ok to miss people and stuff you love.

Is that nostalgia bait? I dunno. That feels like a bit of an empty criticism to me. Any sequel or inspired work or tribute or whatever er is working on the same instinct. It’s just a matter of whether it worked for you.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Inkspot posted:

That’s a problem with the majority of Ghostbusters media released post-Extreme Ghostbusters. They’re not saviors. They’re barely heroes. The tech does its job. No more. No less.

It’s perfectly understandable to want to pay tribute to your deceased friend, but Afterlife ain’t the way, chief.

I think the 2009 video game was the only thing that has captured the original tone since Extreme Ghostbusters.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, I didn't mind Afterlife having a different tone to the first film in the same way I didn't mind GB16 having a different tone/style of comedy. I quite like when a sequel or reboot takes a different approach. I think both films are ultimately fine, plenty flawed of course, but with enough in them for me to enjoy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

To me it's just that making it so reverential feels like a bad misread of the entire thing about that movie

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lager posted:

I think the 2009 video game was the only thing that has captured the original tone since Extreme Ghostbusters.

the idw Ghostbusters comic is a great continuation imo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Were it not for Afterlife, Harold Ramis' final appearance would have been Year One.

I think as ghoulish as it was, they did the man a real favor.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Aphrodite posted:

Were it not for Afterlife, Harold Ramis' final appearance would have been Year One.

I think as ghoulish as it was, they did the man a real favor.

gently caress me that was written by him too. How the hell did he end up having anything to do with that mess?!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

gently caress me that was written by him too. How the hell did he end up having anything to do with that mess?!

I think he wrote outside his wheelhouse, which is to say instead of smart humor he tried to dumb it down with poop and dick jokes and it just didn't carry over. Apparently he was trying to write what he thought "the youth" would enjoy. Ramis thought it would be protested too but even hardcore Evangelicals had better things to do.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

site posted:

that new predator movie Prey was pretty good. definitely watch it with the Comanche dub imo

I watched it on your recommendation and it was pretty good. Not mind-blowing, but very enjoyable and the best Predator movie in the last 20 years (very low bar, I know).

The CGI is a little wonky sometimes, but it is way better than a Hulu-exclusive Predator prequel has any right to be.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Predators is very underrated.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Can I assume Prey is standalone? Like I can watch it with someone even if they ever never seen another Predator movie? I maybe might watch Predator with them anyway but I kind of want to watch Prey and not Predator first.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

STAC Goat posted:

Can I assume Prey is standalone? Like I can watch it with someone even if they ever never seen another Predator movie? I maybe might watch Predator with them anyway but I kind of want to watch Prey and not Predator first.

Definitely.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Absolutely, having not watched a Predator movie in more than a decade I assume the only connection to the other movies is "rear end in a top hat alien comes to Earth to hunt poo poo, but this time it's in 1719"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Veotax posted:

Absolutely, having not watched a Predator movie in more than a decade I assume the only connection to the other movies is "rear end in a top hat alien comes to Earth to hunt poo poo, but this time it's in 1719"

There's also a handful of fan service quotes.