Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I thought it was pretty good. Not as good as the first two originals but definitely a comfortable third place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
https://rileyblackwrites.medium.com/critters-2-is-an-accidental-genderfluid-fable-5be184b5c993

This is an interesting read.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

tango alpha delta posted:

I thought it was pretty good. Not as good as the first two originals but definitely a comfortable third place.

I think a flaming bag of dog poop could also comfortably take 3rd place

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have not read the last 20 posts or so. I just turned it on. But I am very intoxicated so I 100% will not remember it.

bbl

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Okay fine, everybody with a thing for Ferro raise your hand!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
That was a great god damned predator movie!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Prey ruled, watched it last night. The French wasn't translated in the English version, either.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah I was a bit too screwed up last night. I got back from a hippie jam fest thing and yeah I wasn't able to pay attention. I'll have to try again tonight.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Movie real good. Not sure if it's better than 2, haven't seen it in a long time but that cast is hard to beat.

Some parts were kind of corny like when we see the predator for the first time, when the ship leaves. I thought that was unnecessary. Also, when the predator is taking out the trappers, that part didn't really impress me. But I did like the new weaponry. The shield was dope and I got a laugh when the three trappers were furiously trying to reload their lovely muskets.

I actually could have used more world-building, that way when the members of her tribe started getting taken out, I would have felt a little more tension.

I was really glad that there weren't any callbacks to the original, other than the gun and that one line. Hearing the same music cues over and over again just becomes lazy to me, imo.

One thing I also appreciated was that they didnt bother explaining why the predator looked different and used bolts and not future weapons. I liked the design. Predator jumping around the trees was ok, but when he was running through the field super fast was the first time I was like "oh poo poo."

zenguitarman fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 6, 2022

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah I was a bit too screwed up last night. I got back from a hippie jam fest thing and yeah I wasn't able to pay attention. I'll have to try again tonight.

lmao :catdrugs:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I'm like 30 minutes into Prey and it's beautiful and i want to kiss the awesome lady and play with the cool dog

E: Goddammit they just snuck the Wilhelm scream into the first battle scene

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

zenguitarman posted:

Movie real good. Not sure if it's better than 2, haven't seen it in a long time but that cast is hard to beat.

Some parts were kind of corny like when we see the predator for the first time, when the ship leaves. I thought that was unnecessary. Also, when the predator is taking out the trappers, that part didn't really impress me. But I did like the new weaponry. The shield was dope and I got a laugh when the three trappers were furiously trying to reload their lovely muskets.

I actually could have used more world-building, that way when the members of her tribe started getting taken out, I would have felt a little more tension.

I was really glad that there weren't any callbacks to the original, other than the gun and that one line. Hearing the same music cues over and over again just becomes lazy to me, imo.

One thing I also appreciated was that they didnt bother explaining why the predator looked different and used bolts and not future weapons. I liked the design. Predator jumping around the trees was ok, but when he was running through the field super fast was the first time I was like "oh poo poo."

I'd like to think they're advanced but it's still 300 years before Predator 1 so maybe they just haven't perfected a shoulder mounted plasma cannon thing yet

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Another possibility borne our by the greater canon they have an honor code where a kill is worthless if there isn't any semblance of parity. So if they have reconoitered Earth as a safari destination and know our very best is humanoid bipeds a third as strong as a yuatja with clumsy black powder muzzle loaders, they simply don't bother bringing that stuff. It would be like bragging about bagging the trophy bass everyone knows you got by dynamiting the lake. 300 years on when the Earth creatures have figured out reliable repeating cartridge fed guns and grenades and rockets and poo poo, now you can bring the directed energy weapons and it's still a proper hunt.

This movie absolutely deserved a theatrical release. This is the best Predator has been since '87 and some of those wide/establishing shots of the vistas were truly sumptuous.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

Another possibility borne our by the greater canon they have an honor code where a kill is worthless if there isn't any semblance of parity. So if they have reconoitered Earth as a safari destination and know our very best is humanoid bipeds a third as strong as a yuatja with clumsy black powder muzzle loaders, they simply don't bother bringing that stuff. It would be like bragging about bagging the trophy bass everyone knows you got by dynamiting the lake. 300 years on when the Earth creatures have figured out reliable repeating cartridge fed guns and grenades and rockets and poo poo, now you can bring the directed energy weapons and it's still a proper hunt.

I really think this makes the most sense.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I totally agree if for nothing else than the fact that the Predators figured out FTL travel, which is an incredible feat in of itself.

This movie definitely could have done well at the theater. Makes me wonder why they decided to release it on Hulu, maybe they thought it was gonna tank like the Cloverfield Paradox..

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
into some fireteam tonight if any of you usual suspects want to shot aleins

settled on lancer as my fave and all i need is a smartgun and someone to tell me where. they. are.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 7, 2022

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I probably won't play Fireteam tonight. I still have to watch the movie. I won't get as hosed up as last night so hopefully I can remember it. Well, that's the plan at least.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
watchw.me is showing Superior Firepower: the Making of Aliens and I didn't know that Blade director Stephen Norrington worked on the VFX in the film.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Just wanted to say thanks to you all for using spoilers.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Speaking of..

Anyone notice that at the end of the animated pictogram credits, after Naru dumps the Predator head at the feet of the Chief, something happens?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

Speaking of..

Anyone notice that at the end of the animated pictogram credits, after Naru dumps the Predator head at the feet of the Chief, something happens?

My take on this went three different ways:
That's the team of bros coming back to collect the downed predator once his... Uh... Vitals monitor flatlined. They do some weapon exchange honorable sendoff thing and give Naru a cool spear in exchange for the Andolini pistol, setting up the end of P2 and giving that little ceremony some further credence in the canon.
The predator was the first one ever on earth and had no idea there were sentient primates with projectile weapons, which is why he came without all the fancy tech. He was like a bowhunter instead of some hyperoperator overkill tactical milspec bro annihilating a dumbass deer from half a mile away-- just in it for the more grounded experience. He took a coyote as a trophy and lost his poo poo over the chance to squat a bear, for god's sake. Once his helmet cam footage of him having bitten off more than he could chew was in the cloud and reviewed by the tour guides, though, it was game on for a good backwoods out-of-the-way ape-hunting spot. ROOOOAAAD TRIIIIIP and now Earth is a destination spot.
Sequel bait, inserted to generate buzz and therefore increase the likelihood of funding.

I think 2 is the most interesting, 1 is the fallback explanation for when the writers are pressed to the point of annoyance in 10 years, and 3 is the most likely.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Plan R posted:

Yeah man, she didn't have a lot of screen time but she was well established as being awesome.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That's a legit good movie and we've got another badass in the extended franchise. All I could have wanted was a couple of minutes spent developing Taabe's hunting party so them getting murked matters more. At least they didn't go out like chumps, they figured out really quickly they were completely hosed and kept fighting.

Plan R posted:

Yo !

She looks cool. She's got that totally-in-control pilot drawl going on. And when she got jumped by a xeno she actually managed to draw her sidearm. Not that it wouldn't have helped, but she's no shrinking violet, she'll put rounds downrange if she has to.

They want to make a spinoff prequel about Vasquez, I say do Ferro too !

We're in the pipe, five by five

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

zenguitarman posted:

I enjoyed it overall, but I agree with the corniness. The triple musket scene felt out of place, because the movie felt more grounded everywhere else. I think if they were planning on incorporating that sort of thing, it would have been more appropriate to do it with Naru, Taabe , and the rest of the party. It would have helped flesh out those characters and I would have been more invested. More world building should have been included (although I did like the build up to introducing the trappers. It was done perfectly in the first movie, and didn't ruin the plot or pace.

To me, the final fight scene almost mirrored the final fight of the first movie. There was the positioning of the trap, being pinned against the tree, and one of the characters being coated in mud. Actually, I'm glad they established a different way of fooling the heat vision. I also liked the effects used for the ash overloading the cloaking ability.

I know the Predators have an honour system when hunting, but it felt really cheaty to have the Predator run away from combat and let a bunch of smart bombs or whatever kill everything, particularly when they tried making it seem like such a badass when dropping a dozen trappers moments earlier.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Is there anything established elsewhere about whether Predator tech is standardised through their society, or is it just a case of different tribes utilise different tech levels for whatever reason? I recall reading something somewhere that it's stolen tech, that's been re-fit for their purposes. Maybe their bolt thrower should have included a manual targeting option.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

In the expanded universe their tech isn’t quite standardized, but different clans or tribes have different standards for what is “appropriate” equipment for a hunt.

Also one of my friends had an interesting theory, Feral Predator (the production nickname for the one from Prey) might have been a rookie. As in, not just his first hunt on earth, but his first hunt period. It would explain why he doesn’t have any skulls and starts out hunting piddly stuff like snakes and wolves, and why he doesn’t quite understand how his own tech works (leading to him killing himself).

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

In the expanded universe their tech isn’t quite standardized, but different clans or tribes have different standards for what is “appropriate” equipment for a hunt.

Also one of my friends had an interesting theory, Feral Predator (the production nickname for the one from Prey) might have been a rookie. As in, not just his first hunt on earth, but his first hunt period. It would explain why he doesn’t have any skulls and starts out hunting piddly stuff like snakes and wolves, and why he doesn’t quite understand how his own tech works (leading to him killing himself).

Or they're the equivalent of a rich dentist dipshit. It would also explain the apparent cowardice when running from the trappers and not understanding how the bolt thrower operated.

I thought rookies would be dropped on a world in a group to get "blooded", but I might be conflating that with the xeno crossover stuff.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
I'm surprised everyone is liking Prey so much, I watched it yesterday and thought it was really boring.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Prey is cool and good.

Although it was definitely boring when the Predator threw a bear trap at a man’s face holy poo poo.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hello Aliens posting pals, just watched Prey, it was pretty rad.

I didn't really understand why the predator's bone helmet thingy was set to just auto-fire on identified targets of opportunity (?), or whatever it was that made the Pred merk itself at the end, but it was still cool so whatever, I'm just dumb I guess :haw: And the scenery was really beautiful, the movie built a nice atmosphere.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

The laser is just for targeting and turns on whenever he pulls out the arrow launcher. He thought his helmet was gone/broken and believed he was aiming the launcher manually at a close range.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 7, 2022

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Predator tech doesn't care about friendly fire, as shown in Predators lol

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Yeah it definitely tracks that this predator jr. is a newbie, it was hilarious how excited it was after killing a bobcat or whatever

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nuts and Gum posted:

Yeah it definitely tracks that this predator jr. is a newbie, it was hilarious how excited it was after killing a bobcat or whatever

Also notice the elongated sort of "eye" parts of the mask, the elongated neck, and ridged skin on this new Predator's design. The way the neck/head part is almost a little loose as it moves sometimes...seems kind of familiar...

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Prey minutiae: Just noticed that in the first encounter with the Predator the warriors are initially alerted by the rustling of porcupines moving through the brush, just like the little pokey friend that distracted Ol' Painless in the first encounter of P1.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

All of the Aliens movies have been on cable here, one after the other. I watched them all yesterday.

I am unapologetic in my love for 3 and Ressurection.

The less said about Prometheus and Covenant, the better.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

madeintaipei posted:

The less said about Prometheus and Covenant, the better.

False.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I watched Prey again last night don't remember much again. Although the spoilers are bringing back some memories.

I guess I'll have to watch it again!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MLSM posted:

False.

FATHER!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
They're both a good time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

They're both a good time

For me to poop on.

Really, the problem I had with Prometheus is that I spent $7.50 and there was no booze in the theater. Not that that stopped me, but I should have brought more.