Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Just watching the hell episode, and dang, the plastic spine on this helm prop is distractingly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Into my second viewing, and I've gotta say that it was an absolute coup for them to get John Cameron Mitchell for the role of Hal Carter.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

LanceHunter posted:

Into my second viewing, and I've gotta say that it was an absolute coup for them to get John Cameron Mitchell for the role of Hal Carter.

Getting to see Hal perform as Dolly is really nice and the nightmare of him tearing off his faces was goddamn terrifying

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Post episode 7 stuff: Am I missing an explained reason or is it just set-up for something TV-only viewers don't have context for yet that Rose had a picture of the girl from the diner in 24/7?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Post episode 7 stuff: Am I missing an explained reason or is it just set-up for something TV-only viewers don't have context for yet that Rose had a picture of the girl from the diner in 24/7?

She talked to Rose on the phone about her girlfriend when she was in the diner so one can assume they're friends or whatever, you just don't know Rose is a character who is going to be important at that point.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

She talked to Rose on the phone about her girlfriend when she was in the diner so one can assume they're friends or whatever, you just don't know Rose is a character who is going to be important at that point.

Ahhh of course, I got wrapped up in the name of her girlfriend that justifiably left the relationship and forgot she was constantly talking to a friend about it. Thanks!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jerusalem posted:

Ahhh of course, I got wrapped up in the name of her girlfriend that justifiably left the relationship and forgot she was constantly talking to a friend about it. Thanks!

It will come up again in A Game of You since Judy's girlfriend, Foxglove is a major character in the story, and they were mutual friends with Rose

Watching 24/7 and Judy using the knife to carve up her tattoo, thus killing herself made me go "oh I guess they aren't going to do the picks to the eyes death, must be too gruesome for TV. Then they just gave that to Bette instead and I was like "Welp" since that's a nightmarish image from the comic seared into my brain

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I am the only one who's thinking of this guy when they see dream sometimes?

(especially throughout ep 6)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dragonstoned posted:

Dream's look reminds me of someone. I thought maybe it was Robert Pattinson from Twilight but I think it's something more campy than that. I don't think it's Zoolander either.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Somebody mentioned Anime Bernard Black before, and I can't stop laughing at the thought of the entire show exactly as presented, but with Dylan Moran in place of Sturridge, slouching drunkenly and sullenly through each scene :allears:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Dragonstoned posted:

My husband made that exact same comparison in episode 6, and once he said it I couldn't unsee it. I love the Anime Bernard Black comparison too.

gently caress I really need to rewatch Black Books.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

Dream's look reminds me of someone. I thought maybe it was Robert Pattinson from Twilight but I think it's something more campy than that. I don't think it's Zoolander either.

He was based on Peter Murphy, and the first episode nailed it pretty great. The rest of the episodes his jaw is kind of wide and does look like Robert Pattinson more than Pretty Peter.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Jerusalem posted:

Somebody mentioned Anime Bernard Black before, and I can't stop laughing at the thought of the entire show exactly as presented, but with Dylan Moran in place of Sturridge, slouching drunkenly and sullenly through each scene :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lucienne: What are you doing?
Dream: I'm going out, I always lock up The Dreaming when I go out.
Lucienne: But... well, things are different. I'm here now!
Dream: You're right, that IS different!
locks up The Dreaming

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This version of Dream (ch.9) does not really come off as super powerful, but he really nails the awkward dickhead aspect of Dream he's in the early story arcs.

e: Also Stephen Fry listening to panel discussions in a serial killer convention rules

I wonder if they omitted the Fun Land line about "the best part is the theme park owners will always hush it up" because they were worried that An Imaginary Big Theme Park Corporation will be mad or was it deemed too morbid.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 7, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Lucienne: What are you doing?
Dream: I'm going out, I always lock up The Dreaming when I go out.
Lucienne: But... well, things are different. I'm here now!
Dream: You're right, that IS different!
locks up The Dreaming
waving a half-empty pizza box in the general direction of the Three Fates I brought you a thing

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

TeaJay posted:

e: Also Stephen Fry listening to panel discussions in a serial killer convention rules

It was a magnificent bit and now I want a full-on episode of him being confused by stuff.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

waving a half-empty pizza box in the general direction of the Three Fates I brought you a thing

Nice :allears:

Loezi posted:

It was a magnificent bit and now I want a full-on episode of him being confused by stuff.

Dug him being very impressed by the women talking about equality until he grasped what they wanted equality in!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I was a bit unhappy with how they set up Despair as basically a NEET cat lady but casting for Desire more than makes up for it. Its entire character is so spot on.

I hope they change Despair a bit if/when we get Season of Mists on Season 2.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

My Lovely Horse posted:

Just... ignore the wasps...

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
OK, finished the binge. The second half (7 to 10) is definitely wobblier and suffers from over-explaining. Part of that is the fault of Netflix for dumping the entire season - I guess if I had someone explaining to me what a Vortex was once every week, it would be easier to swallow than to hear it three times in three hours. Still, I loved the show as a hole and can't wait for the next season.

The more-or-less-elimination of the Golden Age Sandman character was handled well - generally, it feels the show would have suffered from tying it to the DC Comics universe. Having the DC superheroes show up as action figures and TV shows in the background was a nice subtle way of conveying to the comics readers that we're not in a universe where they exist as real people.

Lyta Hall, to my mind, was the one misstep in casting. I haven't seen Razane Jammal's other work, and maybe she has the acting chops to do it, but at the moment I don't see her becoming the wounded grieving fury - not when even after just having given birth, she still looks like a perfectly coiffed Gal Gadot clone.

Finally, since I'm a sucker for all the little hidden things and literary references Gaiman used to put into Sandman:

- Gault is (among other things) a type of blue clay. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gault

- The story that Zelda starts telling to interrupt Chantal's loop is a ghost story by M.R. James, appropriately titled Lost Hearts.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I still think that it's incredible that a high budget series dedicate an entire hour to what is essentially two people talking to each other.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Morrisey's appearance on MST3K was an unexpected early look at a live-action Dream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQR78U6zvGI

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
I'm up to episode 6 and I'm thoroughly in love with almost everything. My one complaint is the back half of The Sound of Her Wings. Death's part was exquisite, but I just don't care about Hob Gadling and his stupid arc. I didn't in the books and I certainly didn't for a full half hour of bad costumes and ugly wigs.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It’s definitely none of the suggestions made so far. I would say I had the strongest sense of deja vu about Dream’s look during the second half of ep6.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Just finished it, really liked how they they ended it with a good setup for season 2 but I was hoping they would end it with Lucifer assembled before the hosts of hell going I QUIT but I figure not doing that gives them more opportunity to choose how they start season 2.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Just finished it, really liked how they they ended it with a good setup for season 2 but I was hoping they would end it with Lucifer assembled before the hosts of hell going I QUIT but I figure not doing that gives them more opportunity to choose how they start season 2.

On the one hand that would've been a good cliffhanger. (All the demons: "Lu-Ci-Fer! Lu-Ci-Fer! Lu-Ci- whut?") On the other hand, for those who don't know the comic, it's much more effective if you , like Morpheus, expect a big battle, and get the rug pulled out from under you.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I don't think that would work as a hook. The sheer metaphysical fallout of that will take an episode of chatting. Plus you miss the shock reveal with Dream's reaction.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
My kingdom for a Hellblazer show made by these guys.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm loving this show but Patton Oswalt was a bad choice, he's taking me out of the tone of the show. Maybe I'm just tired of him though.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
OH poo poo, look who has a relevant avatar again after all these years! WE'RE BACK BABY!!!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Caesar Saladin posted:

I'm loving this show but Patton Oswalt was a bad choice, he's taking me out of the tone of the show. Maybe I'm just tired of him though.
Yeah Andy Serkais in the audio book does a great job in that Matthew talks like a NYC cab driver

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

TeaJay posted:

I was a bit unhappy with how they set up Despair as basically a NEET cat lady but casting for Desire more than makes up for it. Its entire character is so spot on.

I hope they change Despair a bit if/when we get Season of Mists on Season 2.

I think the vision of Despair as someone with severe I-haven't-left-the-couch-for-days depression was a good update that feels very relevant now. I'm a bit more worried about how they will eventually portray Delirium, mostly because of how terrible Ed was at the end of the Cowboy Bebop adaptation. Taking a character that utilizes very specific aspects of a particular medium and then moving that character to a different medium is a very difficult task.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Just finished the show and I really enjoyed it, I hope it gets a second season.

It was a bit weird to see the actor who plays Hal, because I know him as that MAGA guy from The Good Fight, I had the same problem the first time I saw David Thewlis as a non-murderous psycho.

My only real problem was the product placement with those flip phones, i'm fairly sure that nobody actually uses those.

This is the favorite thing Gaiman has done since Neverwhere

Oasx fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 7, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

I think the vision of Despair as someone with severe I-haven't-left-the-couch-for-days depression was a good update that feels very relevant now.

I guess we didn't see her enough to judge too much. I'm going into speculation, comic spoilers though

It'd be nice if she could get some additional character build before we dive into the family meeting in Season of Mists. Maybe they could basically take a bit of her mirror watching from Brief lives and then have Destiny call her in, to give the viewers a bit of an idea what she is like.

I've always enjoyed Despair as a character, in the sense that she views some horrible stuff through her mirrors but is very fragile and even kind when it comes to her own persona and family. I guess she's just very good at her job/function.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

ghouldaddy07 posted:

My kingdom for a Hellblazer show made by these guys.

:same:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

LanceHunter posted:

I think the vision of Despair as someone with severe I-haven't-left-the-couch-for-days depression was a good update that feels very relevant now.

I wasn't sure about the change at first but :stare: boy giving Despair a more human face sure makes the self harm hit a lot harder, huh

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

rocket_Magnet posted:

My god I couldn't put my finger on it but that's what I was seeing.

I've not encountered the source material but really enjoy what I'm watching, the only misstep so far was 24/7 John dee is still fresh, devoting that much screentime to a bunch of randoms I don't have any vested interest in (& no further need to after the ep finish, although i did see the photo in Rose's apartment!) really shattered any pace they'd built up in the previous eps. The diner scene or the travel scene was enough, both is overly excessive. They could've shown dee's motivations in a quarter of the time. I just didn't give a flying proverbial about anyone in the diner but the main character, I met them a few minutes ago!.

The sound of her wings and the doll's house brought the standard back up in short order though :discourse:.

sound of her wings especially. I can't think of another time I've taken a gut punch like that. The newborn scene Jesus Christ

I honestly loved 24/7 even if it hosed me up a lot. The fact that you see all their reactions, immediately think “this is who they are” and then it quickly flips it on you makes it a lot more effective, especially when you start to hear the TV news spinning out of control and you realize this is happening everywhere. It didn’t feel like it was centered on John, it was happening because of him but like Dream said “the ruby didn’t do this”

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, it started really cool but since episodes 7-8 veered off who knows where, I find it diffuclut keeping myself interested, who gives a gently caress about all these new people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sekenr posted:

Well, it started really cool but since episodes 7-8 veered off who knows where, I find it diffuclut keeping myself interested, who gives a gently caress about all these new people?

Ah, it's always nice to see an adaptation so accurately capture the spirit of the original!