Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Thanlis posted:

it might be literally unsafe to go to GenCon if you're pregnant or might be pregnant.

https://twitter.com/Nonat1s/status/1554535961857589248

not to detract from your overarching point at all but given COVID and monkeypox it's probably also literally unsafe to go to GenCon (among other cons) for other reasons entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Colonel Major Major Major wasn't even in the service at the time.

I understood that reference.gif

Wasn't there also a guy who they altered the promotion for because otherwise he would have been Marshall Marshall? So they just called him 4-star officer or something? I think it might have been this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_C._Marshall

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Magnetic North posted:

Wasn't there also a guy who they altered the promotion for because otherwise he would have been Marshall Marshall? So they just called him 4-star officer or something? I think it might have been this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_C._Marshall

"Marshal" isn't a rank in the US Army (or any branch of the US Armed Forces) so that seems unlikely. There's the US Marshals Service, Marshals of the Supreme Court, Federal Air Marshals, and various state and local offices that might have "Marshal" in the name, but nothing in the military.

Unfortunately a Google search doesn't turn up anything for "Marshal Marshal" other than an indie electronic music act and a dude with that name who robbed a convenience store in Chicago last year, so I can't say who you might be thinking of. Maybe someone in the UK or a Commonwealth country, some of them have Marshal as a rank.

EDIT: Provost Marshal is a position in the Army for the person in charge of all US Army military police, but at least according to Wikipedia no one named Marshal has ever held that office.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 5, 2022

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Magnetic North posted:

Seems like you were close!

From Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_marshal

wikipedia posted:

United States

No branch of the United States Armed Forces has ever used the rank of field marshal. On 14 December 1944, Congress created the rank of "general of the army", a five-star rank equivalent to that of field marshal in other countries. Two days later, George Marshall was promoted to this rank, becoming the first five-star general in American history. It has been suggested that the denomination of "Marshal" for a five-star officer was not adopted because, otherwise, George Marshall would be addressed as "Marshal Marshall", which was considered undignified.[9][10][11][12][13] Thus, this leaves Douglas MacArthur as the only US officer ever to have receive the rank of Marshal given to him by the government of the Philippines.

https://youtu.be/-yZHveWFvqM

piL fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 5, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

That is the story I was thinking of, thank you.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Just found that myself and came back to post it. Also it's probably a case of somebody making a joke and that joke getting repeated--here's an article that goes into more detail about the creation of the 5-star rank and why Marshall opposed it: https://web.archive.org/web/20120717030648/http://www.eisenhowermemorial.org/stories/Ike-fifth-star.htm

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

my knowledge of military rank is only slightly larger than what I learned from Stratego.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Magnetic North posted:

Sure, Jan.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Any new GenCon announcements?

The two I saw was that Free Worlds is bringing over the formerly swedish language rpg system Dragonbane, and oddly enough, Cubicle 7 announcing Imperium Maledictum, a new Dark Heresy style (pretty much DH 3rd edition if I'm reading the tea leaves right, d100 system etcetera) RPG.

Apparently C7 have Gaming System Related ADHD, as this is the 2nd license to have multiple different role playing systems (the Doctor Who AITAS series, and the new 5E-related Doctors and Daleks to go with this and Wrath and Glory for Warhammer 40k)

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

SirFozzie posted:

Any new GenCon announcements?

The two I saw was that Free Worlds is bringing over the formerly swedish language rpg system Dragonbane, and oddly enough, Cubicle 7 announcing Imperium Maledictum, a new Dark Heresy style (pretty much DH 3rd edition if I'm reading the tea leaves right, d100 system etcetera) RPG.

Apparently C7 have Gaming System Related ADHD, as this is the 2nd license to have multiple different role playing systems (the Doctor Who AITAS series, and the new 5E-related Doctors and Daleks to go with this and Wrath and Glory for Warhammer 40k)

They inherited Wrath and Glory from another publisher who botched the product so bad they lost the license.

I suspect that Games Workshop encouraged them to animate the d100 system that is fairly well loved.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
That would be a reason to REPLACE, not work alongside the W&G system (there's still books in the pipeline)

edit: and I'm also surprised that they aren't going to do a Rogue Trader game to go with Owlcat Game's Rogue Trader CRPG. (although if the release date for the CRPG is far enough out, they may have plenty of time to announce)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Reading between the lines I think they decided that Wrath & Glory works great for high-power high-octane combat-heavy stuff - the sort of thing where a party of a Space Marine, an Inquisitor, a Sister of Battle, and a Rogue Trader go blast the poo poo out of a gang of ork bikers - but isn't good at low-power investigate-sneak-and-strategise-and-never-accept-a-fair-fight stuff.

So, yeah, Dark Heresy 3rd edition. On Twitter they've been comparing it to WFRP and Soulbound - both Warhammer Fantasy, entirely different play style.

EDIT: In terms of Rogue Trader stuff I feel like that's the sort of power level best served by a W&G space travel supplement, not its own distinct game line.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 6, 2022

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Could you expand?

Not cause I doubt you or nothing ; I know you're knowledgable and I'm interested.

Basically the dude in the picture is trolling because he's part of Chap Trap House and purposefully put together a comical set of ribbons/badges in an order that doesn't even pretend to adhere to the way you're supposed to wear them (there is a very strict order of operations here) because that's part of the joke. But ribbons/badges have been a huge joke for a while now and it's funny to people who were never in and even funnier to people who were in and aren't 100% up their own asses. The best leftist veteran podcast I know of actually had an episode really recently that touches on how silly this poo poo has gotten: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVtFQASu3LI If you're actually interested in how they're supposed to be worn there are pretty easy to find guides on the matter, but suffice to say it's just as needlessly finicky as you could imagine and is, potentially, an easy way to spot people who are seriously trying to 'steal valor' if you want to bother to memorize a bunch of stupid rules about things that don't really matter.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Darwinism posted:

if you want to bother to memorize a bunch of stupid rules about things that don't really matter.

Remember which forum you're in!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah I was half asking because I thought it might be a giant list of trivia I can look through for fun even though it will never matter to me.

I like looking at convoluted systems and poking at them.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Darwinism posted:

Basically the dude in the picture is trolling because he's part of Chap Trap House and purposefully put together a comical set of ribbons/badges in an order that doesn't even pretend to adhere to the way you're supposed to wear them (there is a very strict order of operations here) because that's part of the joke. But ribbons/badges have been a huge joke for a while now and it's funny to people who were never in and even funnier to people who were in and aren't 100% up their own asses. The best leftist veteran podcast I know of actually had an episode really recently that touches on how silly this poo poo has gotten: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVtFQASu3LI If you're actually interested in how they're supposed to be worn there are pretty easy to find guides on the matter, but suffice to say it's just as needlessly finicky as you could imagine and is, potentially, an easy way to spot people who are seriously trying to 'steal valor' if you want to bother to memorize a bunch of stupid rules about things that don't really matter.

The military having a bunch of dumb poo poo thats only annoying and doesn't makes sense is the sole reason we have "all is lost before the third act" moments in military fiction, sir! Now watch as Commander GuyIHatedInBasic leads his men into a trap while I sit in a brig for providing intel that there's an ambush waiting for him rudely!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It’s extremely funny because the whole bit at the time was that felix was doing a General Ripper pastiche as a pro trump psycho and, as election night went on and the numbers made it more and more clear trump was getting his rear end beat he would quietly excuse himself to the men’s room and just not come back to the stage after a gunshot cue played, but then election night 2016 happened

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Stolen Valor guys are hilarious, because they always seem to go for the "Third World General" look

I mean, I get that there's no grand prestige in pretending that you spent 4 years repairing water purification systems in Okinawa and then rotated back to the States without ever seeing combat or even firing a weapon other than in basic or for routine practice, and that the sort of person who is even going to fake this sort of thing in the first place is already operating under the Chris Kyle "I was on top of the Superdome sniping looters during Hurricane Katrina" bull shitter mindset, but still...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s weird to me that people who are Into The Military enough to buy fake uniform bits aren’t also into reading up on how they should be displayed.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Stolen Valor guys are hilarious, because they always seem to go for the "Third World General" look

I mean, I get that there's no grand prestige in pretending that you spent 4 years repairing water purification systems in Okinawa and then rotated back to the States without ever seeing combat or even firing a weapon other than in basic or for routine practice, and that the sort of person who is even going to fake this sort of thing in the first place is already operating under the Chris Kyle "I was on top of the Superdome sniping looters during Hurricane Katrina" bull shitter mindset, but still...

I wanna grab one of those medals on the lower side of the right guy and just...pull and see if he topples over.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Arivia posted:

I wanna grab one of those medals on the lower side of the right guy and just...pull and see if he topples over.

There's a fart noise like a balloon losing its air and he slowly crumples to the ground.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I used to work with one of these dudes, and it's never anything believable, like, "Oh yeah, I was in Iraq for a few years", he was always claiming that he is was in the super secret special ops who were even more hardcore than Seal Team Six and they were running around assassinating world leaders and all their activities were classified and if the Russians knew where he was they would INVADE CANADA to get to him because he was such an elite operator.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've seen A LOT of newborn and under 2 babies at GenCon. Several people today walking the vendor hall that took their masks off the second they were past the checkpoints.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GreenMetalSun posted:

I used to work with one of these dudes, and it's never anything believable, like, "Oh yeah, I was in Iraq for a few years", he was always claiming that he is was in the super secret special ops who were even more hardcore than Seal Team Six and they were running around assassinating world leaders and all their activities were classified and if the Russians knew where he was they would INVADE CANADA to get to him because he was such an elite operator.

That Guy used to be a common presence at the gaming table, too. We had a guy who talked about his experiences 'in the Congo' and going on and on about what you need to survive in the wilderness despite there being a Hardee's AND a Taco Bell down the block.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
heh, you probably haven't heard of seal team seven

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've seen A LOT of newborn and under 2 babies at GenCon. Several people today walking the vendor hall that took their masks off the second they were past the checkpoints.

Here's the really haunted part, friend: they are all taking their masks off at the bars and restaurants, and in the gatherings and parties back at the hotels, and while they're walking down the overcrowded streets where "being outside" doesn't protect them from the streams of particulates moving at eye level, and in the convention center every time they take a bite or have a drink.

Gen-Con, and indeed all major conventions, is absolutely jammed with COVID, and the only reason we're not going to note them as superspreader events is because we've systematically dismantled the tracking infrastructure necessary to observe it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Even Seal Team 6 is afraid of Seal Team 7.

Why? That's classified.

But you'd be afraid too, if you knew what we did to Seal Team 9.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

moths posted:

Even Seal Team 6 is afraid of Seal Team 7.

Why? That's classified.

But you'd be afraid too, if you knew what we did to Seal Team 9.
I dunno, Seal Team 9 seemed to appreciate it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

GreenMetalSun posted:

People who lie about stuff like this are rarely doing it for the quiet satisfaction of passing off a lie undetected, they're doing it because they want people to be impressed with them, so they gotta go for the big fabrication rather than something that might more plausibly be accepted.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

People who lie about stuff like this are rarely doing it for the quiet satisfaction of passing off a lie undetected, they're doing it because they want people to be impressed with them, so they gotta go for the big fabrication rather than something that might more plausibly be accepted.

It's still interesting to me because in the biggest case of it I personally encountered it was easily disproven by asking the liar in question's sister who confirmed he spent time in the Congo if by 'Congo' you meant 'Cinnabon.' And no shame. I love Cinnabon. It's just... lay some groundwork.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I know a lot of people who have gone to music festivals (here in the UK) over the past couple of months and nearly all of them have caught covid while there. I am still surprised that I didn't catch it at a tournament I went to last month!

There was definitely a baby boom over the lockdowns though!

Out of interest, what sort of covid restrictions are in place in the States? I'm going to Boston/New York/Washington next month and haven't a clue.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ugleb posted:

I know a lot of people who have gone to music festivals (here in the UK) over the past couple of months and nearly all of them have caught covid while there. I am still surprised that I didn't catch it at a tournament I went to last month!

There was definitely a baby boom over the lockdowns though!

Out of interest, what sort of covid restrictions are in place in the States? I'm going to Boston/New York/Washington next month and haven't a clue.

Lol there’s no restrictions. That would be anti-American. You have the constitutional right to infect everyone around you isn’t it great

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Not true, you do need proof of vaccination I believe to fly to the US.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

SirFozzie posted:

Not true, you do need proof of vaccination I believe to fly to the US.

Nope. At least not last year when airlines were at least pretending to care by making you mask up on the plane. This would have been Delta.
And I'm flying United in a month with no proof needed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jadarx posted:

Nope. At least not last year when airlines were at least pretending to care by making you mask up on the plane. This would have been Delta.
And I'm flying United in a month with no proof needed.

Are you entering the US, or flying within the US? To fly to the US you need proof of vaccination and a negative test.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
This info is like two clicks away, people.

For entering the U.S. in an airplane, barring your airline adding any extra restrictions: Citizens don't require any vaccine or proof of negative test. Non-citizens and non-U.S. immigrants require proof of vaccination (with a few exceptions) or proof of negative test if you are exempt from the vaccination requirement. Masks aren't required for anyone. No restrictions on domestic air travel.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Individual places might have things too. GenCon requires proof of vaccination and masks at all times but they only have so many people to enforce it.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Are you entering the US, or flying within the US? To fly to the US you need proof of vaccination and a negative test.

Don't need a test to enter the US.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Boston/New York and area are more likely to have some individual businesses that require masks. They'll likely appreciate it if you bring one along, even if you don't intend to just wear it as a matter of course. Source: myself, wishing I had to buy fewer masks to give away for my business.

(Our country has decided to embrace Papa Nurgle so I really suggest just getting and wearing KN95 or N95 masks in public at all times, but there's no mandate.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
For Gencon, didn't they already make a declaration saying they planned to leave Indiana a few years back after there was some anti-gay or anti-abortion legislation that was signed into law?