Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I ordered some dominant industry sunset and early spring but they got lost in the mail :negative: looks like there was a scanning error on DHLs side and they just told me and the seller that the package might have arrived already (lol), will fix itself and eventually arrive, or eventually make its way back to the shop. Yay

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

don't post my high school photos

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I got a newsletter today that Narwhal pens is changing their name to Nahvalur. It's Icelandic for Narwhal, but seems like a weird move to me.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The nahvalur beikon at miðnætti :hmmyes:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Chip McFuck posted:

I got a newsletter today that Narwhal pens is changing their name to Nahvalur. It's Icelandic for Narwhal, but seems like a weird move to me.

No doubt it is some sort of copyright or trademark dispute.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

First thing you see going to their website is a joint statement from TWSBI and Narwhal that no, Narwhal did not violate TWSBI's intellectual property. My t-shirt etc.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

:popcorn:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Is the fine nib on a Lamy Al Star more thin than the fine nib on a Lamy Safari, or is it just me?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

Is the fine nib on a Lamy Al Star more thin than the fine nib on a Lamy Safari, or is it just me?

They should be the same, unfortunately that’s the nature of nibs, Lamy’s standard nib in particular which is used on everything of theirs except the 2000 can have a lot variance.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Keetron posted:

:popcorn:

TWSBI really got out over their skis on that one didn't they?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

howe_sam posted:

TWSBI really got out over their skis on that one didn't they?

Yeah, this reads very much like lawyers being bored and thinking on how to justify their existence to their corporate masters.

See job type 2: Goons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullshit_Jobs

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Didn't know the pen world was so dramatic

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

DicktheCat posted:

Didn't know the pen world was so dramatic

It's highly dramatic

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

All niche communities are full of drama and bullshit.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
New Pen Day, Birmingham Pen Company Ironsides, Fire Ant, Broad

Only registered members can see post attachments!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That's a neat nib.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I got an order in from Wonder Pens! They managed to get in some of the 2019 limited edition Lamy Safaris - I already had one of the turquoise ones but my girlfriend wanted one of her own and I wanted to get the cool mango one so I figured we may as well get the purple one as well.

We're trying to just get samples of ink now, but the bottles for Dominant Industry just looked so cool we had to get one.

I've also ordered a few cheap Jinhaos to give out to some friends in one of my D&D groups - I'm going to ink them with character-appropriate inks and see how that goes over. One of them got everybody character-appropriate dice a while ago and I want to return the favour.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Has Quink Permanent Red vanished?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Picked up a bottle of the Sailor Kiwaguro and I'm really enjoying it. Not a huge fan of how it has some residual smear until a few minutes have gone by but nothing's perfect I guess. I use these inks for my lab notebook so water resistance is a huge plus for me in general, and this has that in spades.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm boring and have been using the same bottle of Noodler's Bernanke Black for the past eight years since switching to a fountain pen because of how it lets me write as a lefty without smearing. I need a refill and would like to know what options are out there for left-handed ink today that isn't plain old Bernanke Black or Blue.

I'm using a Pilot Metropolitan with a fine tip, and a Kaweco Sport with a medium tip that I picked up when I thought I lost my Pilot. I've got a friend in Japan right now I can bug if there's any good inks that you can only get over there.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
My favorite ink review blog is Mountain of Ink. Here’s her page on fast drying inks: https://mountainofink.com/blog/fast-dry-inks

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Thanks, the Montverde Documental Black looks like it could work, although it's more grey than black. She doesn't have a Bernanke Black review to compare against, but looking at other places it looks like it's still the fastest drying ink by a decent amount. I'll probably keep using that for a plain, black ink.

Some of those Iroshizuku blues looks pretty good and seem like they might dry fast enough to not smudge. I think I'll ask my friend to pick up one of those for me. The Taccia Hokusai-koiai also looks pretty good, although I don't know if it'll be as striking with a medium nib.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
If I had to pick a single ink line to use for the rest of my life it would be Pilot Iroshizuku, and I think a lot of other people would make the same choice. It flows nicely without being too wet, wonderful colors, interesting shading while still being clear and legible, and dries nicely. It does have good distribution in the US, so you don’t need a friend in Japan to get it for you if you end up liking it and want more.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Given how long this bottle of Noodler's lasted me I'll probably be good until well after the next time she's over there visiting family, and I'm hoping it'll be cheaper too. She's more into stationery than I am so she's already going to be hitting up a place to restock her own supplies.

Is there anything neat that's hard to come by here that I should ask about while she's in the country?

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Taccia inks look stunning even on a fine, at least the ones from the Hokusai line I have tried. Fukakihanada is up there with Ancient Copper as an ink I'll never live without

from what I read there's a metric fuckton of inks exclusive to Japan, such as Maruzen Athena, Bungubox, and Kingdom Note

Ramie fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 8, 2022

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Kingdom Note has a bunch of cool exclusive inks, definitely going to have to narrow down which wildlife inks I want. I might just have to ask her to surprise me. The Iroshizuku inks are way cheaper than they are here, so at least if it doesn't end up working for me I'm only out $15 instead of $40. If it's as good as people say, maybe I should grab two bottles.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

Is there anything neat that's hard to come by here that I should ask about while she's in the country?

Honestly my immediate throught was: a Honda CT125 Hunter Cub. They are not imported into Europe at all and are very hard to come by in the US. When it comes to inks, I recommend Pilot iroshizuku as you goto ink for all needs. The speed of drying for any ink is also influenced by the paper you use so you can experiment a bit with that. If the paper absorbs the ink a bit you'll lose shading but gain dry-time.

My fav iroshizuku colors (right now) are kiri-same and tsuki-yo with yu-yake as a runner up, out of the 15 bottles I own. Only 10 or 11 to go.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

What are the Japan exclusive iroshizukus?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Coxswain Balls posted:

The Taccia Hokusai-koiai also looks pretty good, although I don't know if it'll be as striking with a medium nib.

Hokusai sabimidori is the best ink in the ukiyo-e range imo. It's what I've been using recently in my 823 FA

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Keetron posted:

Honestly my immediate throught was: a Honda CT125 Hunter Cub. They are not imported into Europe at all and are very hard to come by in the US. When it comes to inks, I recommend Pilot iroshizuku as you goto ink for all needs. The speed of drying for any ink is also influenced by the paper you use so you can experiment a bit with that. If the paper absorbs the ink a bit you'll lose shading but gain dry-time.

My fav iroshizuku colors (right now) are kiri-same and tsuki-yo with yu-yake as a runner up, out of the 15 bottles I own. Only 10 or 11 to go.

https://www.staples.ca/products/2911679-en-hamelin-1-subject-college-ruled-notebook-85-x-11-ice-white-150-pages

I picked up a couple of these since they're on clearance. The reviews from fountain pen places seem to like it so I'm looking forward to using them.

howe_sam posted:

Hokusai sabimidori is the best ink in the ukiyo-e range imo. It's what I've been using recently in my 823 FA

That looks really good, although it's not on her list of fast drying inks so I'll just smudge it everywhere.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 8, 2022

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Working on something nice and expensive this week:

A nice MB Doue with a really badly factory tuned nib.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well, I just had my Bay State Blue moment. My pen was real low on ink and that's when the poo poo runs out wild. Got ink all over a linoleum floor and eventually had to resort to acetone. Took off the wax coat too so the floor needs a deep clean and re-wax.

I guess Nathan apologized over the anti-Semitism but I am compelled to finally try to settle on some other blue. What should I consider to get as samples?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well, I just had my Bay State Blue moment. My pen was real low on ink and that's when the poo poo runs out wild. Got ink all over a linoleum floor and eventually had to resort to acetone. Took off the wax coat too so the floor needs a deep clean and re-wax.

I guess Nathan apologized over the anti-Semitism but I am compelled to finally try to settle on some other blue. What should I consider to get as samples?

:ohdearsass:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have, like, a 9/10ths full big big jar of baystate blue at work and only a pilot metropolitan to use it with and if I ever spill any then I'm sure I'd get fired for sure

well, what's life without a bit of danger

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Sorry to hear your ink disaster. Glad to hear you avoid Noodlers in the future. Consider kon-peki as a vibrant blue.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Any thoughts on Diamine Blue Velvet?

Edit: kon-peki is a little too light, and I think I preferred Bondi Blue in that realm. I want to get as close to a honking medium blue as I can without requiring a haz-mat crew to follow me around.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 10, 2022

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

My go-to blue is Visconti Blue. A true, bright medium with excellent characteristics including great behaviour on cheap paper. I am also a lefty; no complaints about the dry time from me at least.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Any thoughts on Diamine Blue Velvet?

Edit: kon-peki is a little too light, and I think I preferred Bondi Blue in that realm. I want to get as close to a honking medium blue as I can without requiring a haz-mat crew to follow me around.

Nothing is going to match BSB for its pop, but check out Monteverde Sapphire, Colorverse Quasar, Diamine Majestic Blue, and Iroshizuku asa-go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

i found asa-gao to be a little eye-searing, with Diamine Blue Velvet having a more bearable amount of pep

also, i gifted my beaten-up, very first Metro to a friend just this morning at work, i even loaded up a sample vial with my last 5mL of yama-budo... then i procedeed to accidentally spill half of it while doing my filling demo. lol. lmao

she loved it though! everyone in close proximity to me is writing letters now :3: