Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Somewhat related, but if you watch enough Friday the 13th movies you realize how many characters where named Paul and how often they were killed so everyone could wander around yelling "Paul?"
The Lost World still has my favorite throwaway gag line regarding this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlQnAYqhFpQ&t=28s

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The most iimm for me for the whole Netflix mcu was in Luke Cage where there's a black dude wandering down the city streets in plain sight of everyone carrying a rifle, aiming it around searching for something, and literally no one blinks an eye. No cops called, no nothing.
I was gonna post this about the subway gunfight in John Wick 2. The obliviousness of everyone else is distractingly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zero_Grade posted:

I was gonna post this about the subway gunfight in John Wick 2. The obliviousness of everyone else is distractingly stupid.

It's more fun to imagine the John Wick movies as set in a slightly alternate universe where assassins are so common that they're just a minor annoyance for most people.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind got released around the same time as a plethora of popular rom-coms that had their Italian titles all translated to some variation of "If you do X I'll do Y" (IE: "If you run away I'll marry you).

This means that I skipped it while it was in the theaters, cause the title for it was "If you leave me I'll delete you" and I thought it was another generic rom-com.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I loving hate when characters in movies who have known each other for years speak to each other like they barely know each other, because it's the first time the audience has met them. I just bounced right off "All The Old Knives" because of this. Dude is sent to meet up with his former lover: "Vienna was my second posting, I'd come off some tough years in Dublin." "Why were they tough?" "Well, you know that I lost both my parents in a car accident when I was in college."

That's right. He knows this. This entire conversation would *never happen* because he knows it, because you were lovers for years. But the audience doesn't know it, so this entire forced and artificial conversation is only because you couldn't figure out a more natural way to introduce the audience to these characters. It comes off like someone's first novel that he should have been rejected by the publisher.

The absolute worst for this was that Tom Ford movie, Nocturnal Animals. This was an actual sequence of dialogue between a character and *her husband*:

quote:

Husband: What is that?
Her: Its a manuscript that Edward sent me. He wrote a novel.
Husband: Edward who?
Her: Edward, my first husband. Remember him?
Husband: I didn't know he could write.
Her: Yes you did. He was writing a novel when you and I got together, you just don't remember.
Husband: Have you even talked to him in 20 years?
Her: 19. No. I tried calling him a couple of times a few years ago but he just hung up on me. I think he's teaching English at some prep school in Dallas. It's sad really. He never remarried.

It's at that instant I gave up on it and started watching a Rob Zombie film.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The "as you know" conversation is a scourge of bad writing, but that conversation looks fine to me. I can definitely believe the husband not caring about his wife's ex enough to remember his name or aspirations 20 years later.

That Italian Guy posted:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind got released around the same time as a plethora of popular rom-coms that had their Italian titles all translated to some variation of "If you do X I'll do Y" (IE: "If you run away I'll marry you).

This means that I skipped it while it was in the theaters, cause the title for it was "If you leave me I'll delete you" and I thought it was another generic rom-com.
I'm surprised how often this happens in European releases. A lot of kaiju movies were renamed into Frankenstein movies in Germany, because Frankenstein Conquers the World was so popular there. And apparently after the popularity of The Producers, all subsequent Mel Brooks movies until Men in Tights were renamed "Springtime for _____" in Sweden.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Keromaru5 posted:

And apparently after the popularity of The Producers, all subsequent Mel Brooks movies until Men in Tights were renamed "Springtime for _____" in Sweden.

No fuckin' way.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The weirdest time I saw "jew" in the wild and had to wonder if it was antisemitic or not was researching a company. They had the name GIGAJEW, like who you'd send to circumcise Godzilla. All caps too. Jewelry company in Japan or China I think. Was kinda surreal.

Nowadays I think it just sounds like a Pokemon.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Any time siblings call each other "sis" and "bro" instead of "stinkball" or "you little poo poo" I know the writers were only children

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's GIGAJEWE and yeah i have no idea who took the L there

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

The weirdest time I saw "jew" in the wild and had to wonder if it was antisemitic or not was researching a company. They had the name GIGAJEW, like who you'd send to circumcise Godzilla. All caps too. Jewelry company in Japan or China I think. Was kinda surreal.

Nowadays I think it just sounds like a Pokemon.

GDI, now I'm getting weird looks from co-workers. Thanks a lot.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alhazred posted:

It's more fun to imagine the John Wick movies as set in a slightly alternate universe where assassins are so common that they're just a minor annoyance for most people.

That is the text.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

flavor.flv posted:

Any time siblings call each other "sis" and "bro" instead of "stinkball" or "you little poo poo" I know the writers were only children

I called my little sister Sis all the time. Not everyone has a bad relationship with their siblings.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

marshmallow creep posted:

I called my little sister Sis all the time. Not everyone has a bad relationship with their siblings.

I adore my siblings but we don't use those nicknames and I've never heard anyone else use them either. Maybe it's regional.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

That is the text.

I figured it was more "Don't notice the assassins lest you be drawn into their bullshit"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

HopperUK posted:

I adore my siblings but we don't use those nicknames and I've never heard anyone else use them either. Maybe it's regional.

Maybe. My kids have been raised in Texas and don't do it, but I was growing up in Germany and Illinois when I got in the habit. I also only had the one sister so if I said "sis" it was always clear who I meant and faster and the easier than her given name.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't generally use nouns as nicknames when addressing people, I often don't even use names when directly addressing them because if I'm talking to you it's generally pretty obvious that it's you I'm addressing (although if needed I'll use names if it's ambiguous and I remember it). Sometimes though It's simply because I've forgotten the person's name but know them by face, which is most common for people I don't know THAT well like colleagues that I don't interact with much. :P

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
In the second of Netflix's Fear Street movies, the survivors of the first movie track down the sole survivor of a previous attack, and hear her story of what happened twenty years before.

There's a twist right at the end, where it turns out the character we thought was the survivor dies, and it's actually her sister who survived and has been telling the story.

And, fine, that works as a twist for the audience – but the kids she's been telling her story to are also surprised! How?! Was she telling the story about events that happened to her in the third person?!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Keromaru5 posted:

The "as you know" conversation is a scourge of bad writing, but that conversation looks fine to me. I can definitely believe the husband not caring about his wife's ex enough to remember his name or aspirations 20 years later.

I'm surprised how often this happens in European releases. A lot of kaiju movies were renamed into Frankenstein movies in Germany, because Frankenstein Conquers the World was so popular there. And apparently after the popularity of The Producers, all subsequent Mel Brooks movies until Men in Tights were renamed "Springtime for _____" in Sweden.

Springtime for Dark Helmet? Springtime for Space?

e: Det våras för rymden or It's spring for space

Got it in two. :agesilaus:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Phanatic posted:

The absolute worst for this was that Tom Ford movie, Nocturnal Animals. This was an actual sequence of dialogue between a character and *her husband*:

It's at that instant I gave up on it and started watching a Rob Zombie film.

I mean, out of context this looks fairly awkward, but if you actually watched the movie it makes complete sense for these characters.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

BiggerBoat posted:

All true but the amount of repeated punishment he received over the course of those shows was superhuman, way too over the top sometimes and often strained credibility for a show that's generally considered "grounded" and involves heroes with a lower tier power set. Frank would barely be able to get out of bed half the time, let alone go out and kick even more rear end.

There's definitely moments where he's obviously superhuman. I kinda just let it go as, even a sorta 'grounded' character he is still, a comic book hero. Some of it does get me while watching. Things like eating a couple stabs or body shots with a pipe or whatever is stuff I can contribute to willpowering through, but then other stuff and his guts are a paste or he doesn't have a facail structure anymore, which is odd when other ppl get disfigured or mangled by equal damage. The 3 week long killing sprees and then a couple months to relax are kinda funny and I assume anything off camera is him in an ice bath chugging bottles of oxy, haha. In the end I mostly look at him the way I look at Ash from the whole Evil Dead series of movies/tv/comics and how he is supposed to be some dude that had stuff happen, but they also let him just survive all sorts of crazy stuff. One being comical and one being righteously vengeful.

Phy posted:

I figured it was more "Don't notice the assassins lest you be drawn into their bullshit"

I'd avoid them because if you help one with a flat tire they give you some bullshit coin that's either worth a mansion or a pack of gum. I'd rather have a simple thanks than your stupid coin I gotta go out of my way to try to redeem at some weird place full of other ppl that are just going to try talking me into doing favours for this ridiculous currency. Their whole world is pretty much a crypto scam.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I found it funny that in Polar the bad guy had this lucrative assassin business full of loyal assassins but he wants to unload the business and sets off events leading to his doom. His mistake?

Bumping off assassins about to collect their "retirement" in order juice up the sale price of the assassin business by lowering financial obligations of the "retirement fund".

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Phy posted:

"Oh jeez maybe if I don't look they won't ask me to hide a body or something, I got too much poo poo to do for that"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was mainly pissed at that stupid subway scene because the first John wick was realistic with the weaponry. The second one kinda starts out that way and then boom, subway scene. SILENCERS DON'T WORK THAT WAY.

The fight choreography in the third was a lil off though. It seemed like there were pauses where right before each fight they'd kinda stop for a second and then run one at a time to go attack people. Was weird.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The Wick World special assassin telephony infrastructure with an analogue switchboard run entirely by tattooed '40s pinup girls was certainly a choice

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Manager Hoyden posted:

The Wick World special assassin telephony infrastructure with an analogue switchboard run entirely by tattooed '40s pinup girls was certainly a choice

A glorious, wonderful choice.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Manager Hoyden posted:

No, clearly it was run by the Penguin from Gotham. I loved that that actor was the main guy you see there, it's nice to see him getting more work.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I was mainly pissed at that stupid subway scene because the first John wick was realistic with the weaponry. The second one kinda starts out that way and then boom, subway scene. SILENCERS DON'T WORK THAT WAY.

The fight choreography in the third was a lil off though. It seemed like there were pauses where right before each fight they'd kinda stop for a second and then run one at a time to go attack people. Was weird.

I chalked that up to Keanu Reeves getting older. It's gotta be difficult to be doing all these stunts when you're pushing 57.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Android Apocalypse posted:

I chalked that up to Keanu Reeves getting older. It's gotta be difficult to be doing all these stunts when you're pushing 57.

Yeah especially when the stunts are getting more and more complex. You can the cracks in the fight against the two guys from The Raid (Zero's apprentices) since they are both top notch martial arts stuntmen and Keanu is an incredibly good amateur compared to them. The knife throwing scene at the start of 3 is hilarious and amazing though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh God, they actually added a crunch description to the subtitles for that dude who got :ese: in the eye. Brilliant, yet horrible.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Good on Elliott Page for transitioning. And good on Umbrella Academy for writing it into the script and having his character transition, too.

But "Vanya" is already a man's name and has been this entire time, so I don't get why the character suddenly starts calling himself Viktor.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think sometimes for people the idea is when they transition they are also kind of reborn, and the identity (including name) they had before was false. I do have one friend that didn't change her name when she transitioned, when she was born her name was kind of gender neutral but had a much more masculine association but it's now generally associated much more with females, I don't know if that factored into her decision or not though.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I almost kept my old name as a flex, but Star Trek Discovery kinda ruined that for me :mad:

I like my new name better tho

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Nameless Pete posted:

Good on Elliott Page for transitioning. And good on Umbrella Academy for writing it into the script and having his character transition, too.

But "Vanya" is already a man's name and has been this entire time, so I don't get why the character suddenly starts calling himself Viktor.

It's like how Sasha is a totally normal name is Russian for a man to have, but in English speaking world it's heavily skewed towards feminine. Vanya sounds so much like Anya that is sounds pretty fem to my ears, anyway. Hell, I think in many languages with a Latin influence, an -a at the end of your name basically makes your name a girl's name by default. That association is really strong for a lot of people so getting away from it may have been the point.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I almost kept my old name as a flex, but Star Trek Discovery kinda ruined that for me :mad:

I like my new name better tho

I don't watch Discovery so now I'm curious how they ruined your name for you.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

marshmallow creep posted:

I don't watch Discovery so now I'm curious how they ruined your name for you.
One of the characters is Spock's adopted sister Michael.

I refuse to be associated with that level of tomfoolery (magic space yeast, Elon Musk name-drops :barf: )

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Well, I'm glad you're enjoying your new name. :)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I refuse to be associated with that level of tomfoolery (magic space yeast, Elon Musk name-drops :barf: )

There's an actress in Crazy Ex-Girlfriend with a similar naming situation, although her professional name was more a school nickname that stuck according to wikipedia. Michael Hyatt is a cis woman who's first name was purely a thing because she was a big fan of Michael Jackson in school and it became a nickname and just kind of stuck.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah especially when the stunts are getting more and more complex. You can the cracks in the fight against the two guys from The Raid (Zero's apprentices) since they are both top notch martial arts stuntmen and Keanu is an incredibly good amateur compared to them. The knife throwing scene at the start of 3 is hilarious and amazing though.

Honestly I'd say that kind of works in the fight's favour. It showed how Wick was very much at the end of his rope, and really kind of outclassed on a technical level. It's only when he started leaning on the fact that he's like a foot taller and half again as heavy as each of them that he managed to turn things around by just bodying them with brute force.

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 13:08 on Aug 6, 2022

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new identity, Sybok.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Nameless Pete posted:

I got caught up earlier in the year and don't follow media and stuff so I was seeing the credits and saw Elliott and had to look it up. I think they did a pretty good job on the show of dealing with it by just having his character be like ' that's me, is there a problem?' and everyone was cool and it didn't really come up. But, I felt like he didn't smoke ppl as much as should have from the powerbase shown last season. Ya got apaolypse power but down wanna fight for your family? That character should be power moving everyone. Fight siblings after weird time fucky decades of poo poo and then just puss out when ya can smite motherfuckers easy. Still a dope season. Irationally the time jumpy kid could negate everything right? he's scared to hook up with a manican for a few decades again, but also that's his biggest fantasy from the person with trip the gently caress out powers. It's really a great show but so much about it pisses me off. and lastly, how the gently caress doesn't luther learn to fight like he's a 400lb monster with 20x human strength? stop boxing and grab ppl and smash them into gooey piles of dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Prey IIMM

Title card: The Great Plains

Movie: Mountains loving everywhere