Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Pissing around all grumpy like

the laughter of a pixellated hound by Guy Kelly, on Flickr

edit lol snype.
Because Duck Hunt.
I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 6, 2022

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
bug birbs and cat

spoilered for big spider and other bugs pic

Album link https://imgur.com/gallery/CXANseg

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

This is extremely cute and I love it.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Michigan-40 by Will King, on Flickr

Michigan-42 by Will King, on Flickr

Michigan-45 by Will King, on Flickr

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Untitled
by Philip V, on Flickr

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

dancing by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

drug-deal by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Edit: wrong thread.

LiterallyATomato fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 18, 2022

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Downtown Charleston-352 by Will King, on Flickr

Downtown Charleston-353 by Will King, on Flickr

Downtown Charleston-355 by Will King, on Flickr

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
i broke my beloved fuji x100s, couldn't find another one, and x100v's are on back order for 6mo+

my friend gave me his x100s because hes an absolute legend, so i took a walk to celebrate

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I've upgraded from the X100 to the X100S to the X100F, I was happy enough with the F that I didn't feel the need to upgrade and it's the only digital camera I've kept around.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I meany to ask - how did you get the effect on the street lights? Was it a filter on the lens, or some other witchcraft? Apologies if this has already come up!

Edit: it is almost certainly a starburst filter and I am a clown

Flint_Paper fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 21, 2022

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Flint_Paper posted:

I meany to ask - how did you get the effect on the street lights? Was it a filter on the lens, or some other witchcraft? Apologies if this has already come up!

Edit: it is almost certainly a starburst filter and I am a clown

If you shoot with a smaller aperture (anything north of about f/13) then lights appear like this. It's probably not a filter otherwise every lightsource would have sparkles all over it.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

What Helen said, no filter, just a small aperture paired with a long exposure (f/16 at 30 seconds). Build quality will affect how those sorts of starbursts come out. When I was shooting with a 10 year old crop-sensor DSLR with its kit lens, starbursts came out more unrefined and blobby.

Downtown Charleston-264 by Will King, on Flickr

After wearing out its shutter motor I upgraded to a full-frame mirrorless with its kit lens and one of the side effects of that is sharper starbursts from light sources.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not just build quality, but the shape of the aperture blades (curved vs round edges), the number of them, and the lens element design all factor in to it. The rule of thumb is that cheaper lenses won't make as crisp stars, but it's not always true. Modern lens design prioritizes bokeh quality and this tends to make more blurry stars, so even expensive lens can have less than ideal results.

But it's all subjective, so "ideal results" varies from person to person.

To my eye the manual focus nikon 50mm f/1.2 does them the best.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Weather was real nice, so decided to go wander campus and try and find some stairs. Set the camera to monochrome mode, stuck the 24mm lens on and walked around for about 3 hours. When I came back, I found developing some back to color looked better.

Untitled
by Philip V, on Flickr

Untitled
by Philip V, on Flickr

Untitled
by Philip V, on Flickr

Untitled
by Philip V, on Flickr

Untitled
by Philip V, on Flickr

Untitled
by Philip V, on Flickr

Untitled
by Philip V, on Flickr

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 22, 2022

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Vintage lenes with too many aperture blades make the best stars

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Thanks for the advice, folks! You've saved me money AND encouraged my to stand outside at night with a tripod and the lens from my grandad's old Minolta camera!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

As Minolta shooter, Minolta lenses are criminally underrated. My shot above was with the carl zeiss jena flektogon 50mm f/4 however. Still, you should absolutely go out and shoot that old Minolta.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I went for a hike to see how my body would hold up

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I went to a student party to take photographs. It took a while (at least an hour) to find decent settings f/8 with 11mm fisheye lens. Manual everything. Hyperfocal Focus (I should have taped the lens focus ring, but didn't have tape). I tried to underexpose background by 2 stops but still get a somewhat long shutter time.

There's way too many photos I took.. https://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2022/08-23+-+The+Ekat+Bileet+at+Ranta-Poro/

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

man they look great

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

maxe posted:

man they look great

Thanks. I tried to use a 35mm lens first, but then people wanted to take group photos in small spaces.. not possible. So I just kept the 11mm lens mounted, it was wide enough for everything. The "funny" part was that since the tt-artisan lens is fully manual, I had to turn the aperture down to f/8 and keep it there. Basically only a little light arrived at the camera sensor before exposure, so I shot the photos from the hip without really much framing or composition :v: A small flash pointing directly forward gave enough light to get proper exposures.

Also seems that at nightclubs the fisheye distortion isn't that distracting.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Yeah, those student party photos came out fantastic.

Downtown Charleston-366 by Will King, on Flickr

Downtown Charleston-371 by Will King, on Flickr

Downtown Charleston-373 by Will King, on Flickr

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

On Saturday I went to Kew Gardens. The highlight was finding a lego hotdog on the floor, but I took some photos too I guess

kew by Guy Kelly, on Flickr

worterforl by Guy Kelly, on Flickr

flower by Guy Kelly, on Flickr

roumd by Guy Kelly, on Flickr

generic desktop background by Guy Kelly, on Flickr

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

black-cat by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

muzzle by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

park-kids by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Untitled
by Philip V, on Flickr

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

Soiled Meat

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

Soiled Meat

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

door-2-door by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

window-girl by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Tree Ripple
by Philip V, on Flickr