Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I’m just impressed that repeatedly chanting cumstain! cumstain! is apparently acceptable on prime time TV in New Zealand. What a country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I only got through a bit of last weeks episode and didn’t even try this weeks but now how am supposed to not watch it

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It's TM so it's still watchable, but this one is shaping up to be by far the weakest of the three they have done.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I really enjoyed this weeks episode. Was it an instant classic? Nah but it was a lot of fun.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Certain TM line-ups end up working so well the following series are probably going to be somewhat of a come-down. NZ 2 was like UK 7, you don't want to be on the following series...

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Team task was really good, sort of like the live task in the S13 premier, but with golf carts. And I am all but sure "Prove your smarter than the other contestants" is going to show up in Bäst i Test very soon, it's right up David Sudin's alley.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Hey, I posted about this a while back but I'm working on my own version of Taskmaster. We're filming the live show portion sometime in September, and I wanted to check one last time if there was anyone left who wanted to be part of the jury for one of our tasks. I'm editing the videos for the results of that task together this week, and I figured this was the last chance to get any stragglers in. It involves watching a 10 minute video of our contestants, playing a guessing game, then filling out a google form, so approximately 15 minutes.

At the moment we have 32 responses and I was hoping for a minimum of 50 (since each contestant has two entries, that would give us a nice percentage out of 100)

Anyone who's interested can DM me or post here and I'll get you the details.

Also, just so I'm not only spamming the thread with the same request over and over... here is my final edit of the credits we shot to kick everything off. It's missing a title since I'm not sure exactly what to call it yet. Maybe "J + J's Taskmaster" since both myself and the Taskmaster's names start with J. I know there was a pretty popular Taskmaster Minnesota, but I didn't want to copy them exactly with our state. I'm pretty proud of the editing, especially since we only had seven tasks to choose from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkECNfwZngY

EDIT: Added the final title in, switched out the video.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 3, 2022

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

This is so cool - good on you. Count me in, when do you need the responses by? Should have DMs on.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I could do that too. Toss the details to and I'll toss it to a Gmail that can do whatever.

E: received, I'll do this after work.

Sighence fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 2, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh hey, good thing you said, I meant to do that and completely forgot! Made my entries now.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I forgot to throw my hat in the ring, I'll gladly help. PMs are open.

Thanks!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Already did mine in the first round; if there are goons on the fence it basically takes no time and is very silly.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

2x jurors here as my wife is a big TM fan and was up for ‘doing something nerdy for the internet’ - really fun and I’m impressed with what you’ve got brewing here - must be quite a lot of work to put together.

Is the finished result going up on YouTube then?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Already did mine in the first round; if there are goons on the fence it basically takes no time and is very silly.

I just did it and it was tons of fun. I don't want to say more, but I can't wait to see the results.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Flux Wildly posted:

2x jurors here as my wife is a big TM fan and was up for ‘doing something nerdy for the internet’ - really fun and I’m impressed with what you’ve got brewing here - must be quite a lot of work to put together.

Is the finished result going up on YouTube then?

Eventually yes. I have spent many many hours (at least a hundred, probably closer to two) filming and editing all this together so my nightmare scenario is that we all suck on the live day of since none of us are comedians and I have this terrible episode of Taskmaster with really good amateur production values. I'm doing my best to prepare as hard as I can to sort of lead things from the Alex chair with dumb jokes, an episode structure, and banter and directions to steer the conversation in, but we only get one shot at this.

I also can't decide if the Taskmaster should see the videos in advance to prepare his own notes. I have watched some interviews with Alex and he said that in the first few seasons Greg would watch them in advance but then after season 3 or so he stopped doing that so his reactions would be more genuine and he found he could take notes and use prepared notes from Alex/The Editors for any real outliers or special things to ask about. I am definitely planning on giving the Taskmaster notes but seeing as neither of us are professionals I am thinking maybe I show them to him once in advance so that on the day of he can focus more on details and not on what's actually happening.

Lastly, we have not had a chance to test our live task because it's kind of expensive and complicated, so for all I know its going to suck as well. We planned for something hopefully chaotic and messy, but it all depends on how its approached by the teams (It's our only team task).

Here is our live task, if you guys wanna give me feedback on if you think it sucks, let me know:
Our final in home pre-filmed task is the "grocery list" task. They are given 9 different objectives for a grocery list (such as "something that must stay refrigerated" or "something that comes in a package of at least six individually wrapped items") and seven slots for the grocery list. Their goal is that they had to fill in the grocery list with seven items that meet all nine requirements and have it come out to as close to 15 dollars as possible.

Anyways, what they didn't know is that in addition to being a task, it's also the setup for their live task.

The night before the live show I'm gonna go out and buy the items on their list to get receipts to know who got closest to 15 bucks and score them on that... but then when they go do the live task, they will be presented with grocery bags. Each bag will have all of their items, and the teams will be asked to split them as evenly as possible as they can between two trays by weight. Whichever team has the closest weight between their two trays wins.

Because some of the items are liquids and sauces and vegetables we hope that this gets kinda messy.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 2, 2022

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Nice idea overall. The standard two-parters are much more direct (make a sandwich, eat said sandwich). There's also a potential for food waste which I'm not about to go on a crusade for here but I should bring up.

If you're feeling especially evil and/or less wasteful, you could give them part three: eat everything edible on a pan. If they see it coming (or don't), great payoff for them and us.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Sighence posted:

Nice idea overall. The standard two-parters are much more direct (make a sandwich, eat said sandwich). There's also a potential for food waste which I'm not about to go on a crusade for here but I should bring up.

If you're feeling especially evil and/or less wasteful, you could give them part three: eat everything edible on a pan. If they see it coming (or don't), great payoff for them and us.

I had to assure them in advance there would be no weird or gross eating in any of the tasks, and one of the requirements for the grocery list was "non edible" so people put things like tape, paper towels, clorox wipes, and rat poison. So, unfortunately that last bit wouldn't work.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

For the live task do they have to split every item across both trays? It's one thing to have a container of milk that you put on one tray, it's more chaotic if you have to put at least some of said milk on the other.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Pinwiz11 posted:

For the live task do they have to split every item across both trays? It's one thing to have a container of milk that you put on one tray, it's more chaotic if you have to put at least some of said milk on the other.

We went back and forth on this. It's definitely better that way for spectators, hands down. But because someone wrote rat poison I was kind of worried. I don't know what rat poison is like but I'm guessing a powder or something crumbly and having that potentially become airborne seems really really bad, so I was assuming they'd definitely need to leave it in the packaging.

I'm also pretty sure rat poison is not cheap, as a side note. Just looking up some now it's gonna be 15 bucks by itself I imagine.

Maybe I can tell them we'll make an exception for the poison, or tell them that at least one non-edible object must be on each tray since one team has two and the other team has three.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Little Alex Horne recorded a congratulation for the Portsmouth Taskmaster, which I thought was nice.

https://www.youtube.com/user/stubanity

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Superrodan posted:

We went back and forth on this. It's definitely better that way for spectators, hands down. But because someone wrote rat poison I was kind of worried. I don't know what rat poison is like but I'm guessing a powder or something crumbly and having that potentially become airborne seems really really bad, so I was assuming they'd definitely need to leave it in the packaging.

I'm also pretty sure rat poison is not cheap, as a side note. Just looking up some now it's gonna be 15 bucks by itself I imagine.

Maybe I can tell them we'll make an exception for the poison, or tell them that at least one non-edible object must be on each tray since one team has two and the other team has three.

It might be safer to put a big ol skull and bones on a bottle of cumin or something, maybe add raisins or salt to equal the weight of the rat poison. Save some money, too.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Superrodan posted:

I also can't decide if the Taskmaster should see the videos in advance to prepare his own notes. I have watched some interviews with Alex and he said that in the first few seasons Greg would watch them in advance but then after season 3 or so he stopped doing that so his reactions would be more genuine and he found he could take notes and use prepared notes from Alex/The Editors for any real outliers or special things to ask about. I am definitely planning on giving the Taskmaster notes but seeing as neither of us are professionals I am thinking maybe I show them to him once in advance so that on the day of he can focus more on details and not on what's actually happening.

I've always assumed that Alex and Greg do preparation for upcoming tasks without direct reference to the footage. Like if there's bound to be a question about how to interpret a rule or how elastic a certain word can be, then Alex would give Greg the task brief and they'd thrash it out "in theory". So you might find that a useful half-way measure. Also, I suspect that a chunk of the time the quotes that Greg "writes down" are in fact written down in advance, so put any particularly memorable stuff in the notes you provide!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

NZ3 isn't the best season, but most episodes have a moment of absolutely hilarious failure that get strong laughter from me.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Cow Touching is a standout.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The live task was fun.

Josh attacking a defenseless mannequin yet again was :crabcourse:

Pinwiz11 posted:

NZ3 isn't the best season, but most episodes have a moment of absolutely hilarious failure that get strong laughter from me.

The cow one was pretty good.

itry fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 5, 2022

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Cow Touching is a standout.

It's amazing, because I assumed they were saving him for last because he waited hours.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Josh is definitely one of my favorites for this season. He jumps back and for between masterful genius and panicky idiot at perfect levels.

Also the live task where they ended at 1-2-3-4-5 was absolutely perfect.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I feel like throwing water into the lake should have won but I can't justify that at all.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Superrodan posted:

Anyone who's interested can DM me or post here and I'll get you the details.

If you're still looking I'll give it a shot

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Actually, at this point I have exactly 50 entries so I think I'm gonna stop. For the record, for my live task, after discussion here with you guys I am going to Start the trays with the inedible items on them, and the rest of the groceries in bags. The task will state that the inedible items can't be tampered with or removed from their trays. Because no two people had the same inedible items, the two trays will be different weights. Then, everything in the bags will need to be split to make the trays as equal in weight as possible, and every item must exist somewhere on each of the two trays. Hopefully this leads to messy chaos with splitting all of the food.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Junkenstein posted:

I feel like throwing water into the lake should have won but I can't justify that at all.

It was a brilliant idea, and as always you are gambling that the TM will accept your argument. Can't fault them for trying.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I would have just taken that as an opportunity to smash a glass fish ball.

Also lol at the rng chaos of the duck bucket studio task.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 7, 2022

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Watching S10 of TM and I am standing by my assertion that there are no bad seasons of this show, just some that are more good than others. Johnny Vegas having a catastrophic mid-life crisis anew in every task is wonderful.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

TMNZ has some good task writers. Really liked the studio task.

SirSamVimes posted:

Watching S10 of TM and I am standing by my assertion that there are no bad seasons of this show, just some that are more good than others. Johnny Vegas having a catastrophic mid-life crisis anew in every task is wonderful.

Definitely no outright bad/unwatchable seasons. It's a very consistently good show.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

TMNZ has some good task writers, UKTM10 has some really bad task writing.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

That's a lot of seasons and a lot of tasks, some of those are bound to be subpar.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

itry posted:

TMNZ has some good task writers. Really liked the studio task.

There's a lot of ways to mix up that studio task for other series/seasons too. Using more qualities about the items besides their locations is on obvious one.

I also enjoyed their variation on the task about seeing the person and like that, instead of an instant fail, it's a reset position.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Catapult a shoe into the bathtub is an all-timer from S10 - although it was a bit more complex than its ancestor (Coconut Flinger) I think the structure was a benefit.

This week's episode of TMNZ is particularly good if you enjoy seeing contestants find loopholes in tasks and then still lose by a long way. Superhero task is another one that in retrospect it seems amazing it took this long to come round - and I was glad they went the extra mile to have "...and rescue Paul" be part of it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

itry posted:

That's a lot of seasons and a lot of tasks, some of those are bound to be subpar.
S10 has a disproportionate amount of bad task concepts. A common theory is that it was just badly affected as the first covid series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Xelkelvos posted:

There's a lot of ways to mix up that studio task for other series/seasons too. Using more qualities about the items besides their locations is on obvious one.

I also enjoyed their variation on the task about seeing the person and like that, instead of an instant fail, it's a reset position.

Yeah, that's definitely better. Also liked the mat clause they added in. The train yard was a better place for it though.

Pablo Bluth posted:

S10 has a disproportionate amount of bad task concepts. A common theory is that it was just badly affected as the first covid series.

That was probably the case. I remember thinking while watching one of those COVID series that it (understandably) lacked some energy.